• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2020 Oscar Winners

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The Oscars, eh. You can´t call them all white due to the wins after the reform. #Oscarsallmale next? They kind of are but the whole industry is burned like that and it will take a long time to fix itself.

I don´t get why Gamers Rise Up - 2019 was nominated for 11 if it only won 2 but Mr. J is now a legit prestige role. I wonder what this will do to future WB films. Will a Batman ever win? Netflix got legit snubbed though. Marriage Story and especially The Irishman are proper films. Parasite is at least a highlight and Bong Joon-ho directed some quality films before, most of all Memories of Murder. Obama kinda won an Oscar today btw as he produced the winning documentary.
In conclusion: Joker was my favorite film of 2019 and I saw every wining film outside of the short doc and Judy. I´ll watch the later tomorrow. I also saw every Best Picture winner ever. A slightly fruitless endeavor but the very first winner ever Wings is pretty good:

There's nothing fruitless about expanding one's horizons. The pursuit of experience and knowledge is the very definition of fruitful.

I had to watch less than 50 or maybe even 40 films to finish my Best Picture winner list hariseldon. The 2 AFI lists (they overlap a lot) and all Imdb Top 250s since 1996 are better ways to spend your time and learn film history. The 1996 one is a joke though. I´ll do the major historic BAFTAs winners in the spring and I guess the Golden Lions thereafter. Joker won there btw. Not so sure if I have enough patience for the Cannes Film Festival. Those are way up their own ass and this is coming from Mr Subtitles who worships obscure anime and Lars von Trier. See Gaf? Me got gud with movies. Lots of Imdb bling:

And the Oscars... eh. They were a semi-political prestige wank since the start. The documentary category is secretly the best one. The animated one, aka The Disneys, may be the worst one.

PS: My final examination to become a librarian, I later got a bachelor's degree in the job, was about IMDB and how to use it in libraries. That site is good and 100% useful. Warts and all. Make a profile if you care about films and you´ll see that the recommendation section will start to work wonders if you rate enough films.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I had to watch less than 50 or maybe even 40 films to finish my Best Picture winner list hariseldon. The 2 AFI lists (they overlap a lot) and all Imdb Top 250s since 1996 are better ways to spend your time and learn film history. The 1996 one is a joke though. I´ll do the major historic BAFTAs winners in the spring and I guess the Golden Lions thereafter. Joker won there btw. Not so sure if I have enough patience for the Cannes Film Festival. Those are way up their own ass and this is coming from Mr Subtitles who worships obscure anime and Lars von Trier. See Gaf? Me got gud with movies. Lots of Imdb bling:

And the Oscars... eh. They were a semi-political prestige wank since the start. The documentary category is secretly the best one. The animated one, aka The Disneys, may be the worst one.

PS: My final examination to become a librarian, I later got a bachelor's degree in the job, was about IMDB and how to use it in libraries. That site is good and 100% useful. Warts and all. Make a profile if you care about films and you´ll see that the recommendation section will start to work wonders if you rate enough films.

icheckmovies.com might be something you enjoy. Movies are grouped in lists (award winners, critic's lists, imdb genre top-50, box office etc) and you get trophees for watching movies and an overall site ranking.

This is me there. Currently working on cult movies and film noir. Already got platinum for a couple of sci-fi lists.

This finally paid off:
eoc7u10rz3g41.jpg

I wasn´t cray cary about her in the film but she can act for sure. 1917 was good of course and had top-notch K I N O matography but why did it get the VFX oscar? Oh yeah, the Academy always fucks those up. Nvm.

Japanimation finally won big btw:
8irjjdp7d4g41.jpg

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I haven't seen Parasite but I still feel like 1917 was robbed.
1917 deserved it more. Parasite goes full Japanese cartoon in the final act in the worst possible way. What became a relatable window into a poverty stricken family with an opportunity ended up as over dramatic nonsense. 1917 successfully subverted my expectations and felt like one big (small) journey rather cleverly.

eot

Banned
So is Parasite great or was it just a weak year? My local theatre is showing it for some Oscars special

Fbh

All time low number of viewers, almost 6 million down from last year.
The show definitely seems less relevant every year, it has always been too long and, at least personally, I find it annoying how a lot of acceptance speeches have shifted from happy, thankful or funny to just a bunch of celebs lecturing the audience for a couple of minutes (one more reason to like Bong Joon-ho, dude was like "Thanks a lot, this is amazing, love you Scorsese and Tarantino and now I'll go get drunk!")

So is Parasite great or was it just a weak year? My local theatre is showing it for some Oscars special

It was great.

Hinedorf

Banned
I tried watching Parasite last night and the first hour was very compelling.......and then I became so mad I had to turn it off which is rare for me to do once I start a movie.

I have no idea how it's going to turn out and I'm so irritated with what happened

The family which seems like a bunch of hustlers have fully taken over the house only to let the old maid in and find the man in the basement. If you're a bunch of hustling thieves at one point do you let yourself become hostage TO A FUCKING CELLPHONE. In a flash it goes from being in the basement with the maid holding a phone to the family like a gun to the family now upstairs huddled holding their hands above their heads in fear.

Why not walk over and break their cellphones and for fucks sake KILL THEM AND STUFF THEM IN THE BASEMENT NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT, 4 family members on 2 people one of which was nearly starving to death...

How these people go from hustlers to complete idiots standing hostage to a cellphone is quite possibly the dumbest movie scene I've ever seen.

That scene just pissed me off so much I couldn't continue and I don't know I ever will

Nymphae

Banned
I was just reading some transcripts from a Trump rally where he was talking shit about the Oscars, and he says:

“So many great movies…” he bemoaned before again mocking, “the winner is from South Korea!”

“I thought it was best foreign film, right? Best foreign movie,” he said. “Did this ever happen before?”

So it must have taken the award for Best Foreign Film as well right? (oh sorry "Best International Feature Film - the Academy felt the word foreign was "outdated")

Kadayi

Banned
I tried watching Parasite last night and the first hour was very compelling.......and then I became so mad I had to turn it off which is rare for me to do once I start a movie.

I have no idea how it's going to turn out and I'm so irritated with what happened

The family which seems like a bunch of hustlers have fully taken over the house only to let the old maid in and find the man in the basement. If you're a bunch of hustling thieves at one point do you let yourself become hostage TO A FUCKING CELLPHONE. In a flash it goes from being in the basement with the maid holding a phone to the family like a gun to the family now upstairs huddled holding their hands above their heads in fear.

Why not walk over and break their cellphones and for fucks sake KILL THEM AND STUFF THEM IN THE BASEMENT NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT, 4 family members on 2 people one of which was nearly starving to death...

How these people go from hustlers to complete idiots standing hostage to a cellphone is quite possibly the dumbest movie scene I've ever seen.

That scene just pissed me off so much I couldn't continue and I don't know I ever will

You get that it's a Black Comedy Right?

Durask

Ok finally watched Parasite, it was on Hulu or Netflix, basically one of the services I guess I am subscribing to through my Apple TV.

I honestly have no idea why it got an Oscar. Granted, an Oscar doesn't really mean anything, but still.

First half was mildly amusing.
Second half was, eh, dunno, seemed like I've seen all this before, maybe I've browsed through too much manhwa :messenger_sunglasses:

I don't see anything outstanding with regards to acting, directing, scenario...basically an OK movie, on the level of a "Netflix Original".

What am I missing?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Ok finally watched Parasite, it was on Hulu or Netflix, basically one of the services I guess I am subscribing to through my Apple TV.

I honestly have no idea why it got an Oscar. Granted, an Oscar doesn't really mean anything, but still.

First half was mildly amusing.
Second half was, eh, dunno, seemed like I've seen all this before, maybe I've browsed through too much manhwa :messenger_sunglasses:

I don't see anything outstanding with regards to acting, directing, scenario...basically an OK movie, on the level of a "Netflix Original".

What am I missing?
u missing the hype brah

Top Bottom