• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The 2048 guys stole my iPhone game" - article about Ketchapp (iOS)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dick publisher!

Thanks to this thread I've just found out about Monument Valley and can't put my phone down. Amazing little game!

You should pop in the iOS monthly threads. There's plenty of great games to find on mobile storefronts.

One of the many reasons I tend to stick with paid apps.

The other reasons being: little to no in-app purchases, no intrusive "gem, fuel, energy, or time" currencies or limits, and no ads.

He does seem to have a clear legal case against them, since he sent them his game and they then ripped it off - making a clone is one thing, making a clone after proof of having seen the original before its release, that's something else entirely. Of course, the problem is being able to afford the legal bits.

mantidor

yesterday i read the worst comment in my life.

play store has a sale of android games.

the games vary between 20cents and 2 euros.

a few persons were asking why the games are that expensive and if there is a way to download them for free.

what is wrong with these people?

Online stores like google play or ios marketplace made their users used to their idea these things should be free, it's awesome for Apple and Google but it's terrible for developers, still developers flock in droves to this awful system and now are stuck in it.

Rembrandt

Banned
lmao, people are upset because I downloaded 2048, a competitors title instead of threes? If that gets you so worked up, take a deep breath.

just because I was introduced to the clone first and enjoyed it, doesn't mean I'm obligated to buy the original just for the fun of it.

like, holy shit, what a bunch of hyperbolic responses.

I'm glad they stole threes because I wasn't gonna pay for that.

sucks for the author, though. mobile developers seem to thrive off stealing or "borrowing" ideas/games.

wow, you suck. You're actually glad they fucked over someones livelihood because you're too cheap to pay 1.99. Bravo.

Haha, nope not worked up at all, and maybe if you're getting so many negative replies it's time to examine what you posted a little closer? Maybe the blame doesn't lie with everybody else?

He does seem to have a clear legal case against them, since he sent them his game and they then ripped it off - making a clone is one thing, making a clone after proof of having seen the original before its release, that's something else entirely. Of course, the problem is being able to afford the legal bits.

Unless they literally stole code or art assets he's probably got nothing. Game rules and mechanics can't really be owned.

lmao, people are upset because I downloaded 2048, a competitors title instead of threes? If that gets you so worked up, take a deep breath.

just because I was introduced to the clone first and enjoyed it, doesn't mean I'm obligated to buy the original just for the fun of it.

Saying you're glad they stole someone else's work is a stupid thing to feel nonetheless say. Nobody cares which you actually enjoy.

magnetic

Online stores like google play or ios marketplace made their users used to their idea these things should be free, it's awesome for Apple and Google but it's terrible for developers, still developers flock in droves to this awful system and now are stuck in it.

Back when I got my first iPod Touch (2011?), it blew my mind how many clever and charming games I could get for just a buck each, I don't remember F2P games at all. These days you pretty much HAVE to be F2P if you don't want to murder the size of your potential audience right away, unless you're outliers like Minecraft or niche titles like board game conversions. It's heartbreaking.

Rembrandt

Banned
wow, you suck. You're actually glad they fucked over someones livelihood because you're too cheap to pay 1.99. Bravo.

Haha, nope not worked up at all, and maybe if you're getting so many negative replies it's time to examine what you posted a little closer? Maybe the blame doesn't lie with everybody else?

I did and still see nothing wrong with it. If enjoying a clone of a game makes me a "terrible person," so be it. I didn't think threes was worth the money from pics (didn't seem like my type of game), somebody made a clone for free (decided to try it out) and I enjoyed it. Are you suggesting I should buy threes to make up for it or something?

Saying you're glad they stole someone else's work is a stupid thing to feel nonetheless say. Nobody cares which you actually enjoy.

So are the people that bought angry birds terrible people for spending money on revamped clone of crush the castle? are the people that spend money on mobile games that are literal ripoffs of newgrounds flash games terrible people, too? what about the people that bought game dev tycoon on PC which is a ripoff of game dev story on mobile?

unless there's a clear distinction between these and 2048/threes i'm missing.

People are upset because you said you were glad they stole it. Maybe work on how you word things next time.

wrowa

Despite the similarities, it's not a fair claim to say that the developer of 2048 stole from Threes. It's obviously inspired by Threes, but the rules are different enough to make each game its own thing.

Also, 2048 is the better game. :p

kiguel182

Apple and Google really need to do better when it comes to IP protection. The amount of clones and rip-offs is too high and it shames the entire store. It's one thing to make similar games but things like this or other ripoffs really need to stop.

To be fair, 2048/Ketchapp is a pretty easy game to rip off... I bet I could probably program it myself using only functions from the C Standard Library, and I'm not even that good of a programmer...

You should check out the blog that details the development process of threes. It was by no means easy. it was arduous, went through many, many variations and the guys agonized over what eventually became an incredibly unique concept and aesthetic. It was no accident, it was the result of many, many months of blood sweat and tears and then it was ripped off in like 3 weeks by assholes.

Might as well have said "I'm glad that guy stole somebody's PS4. I wouldn't have gotten to buy it for so cheap if he didn't."

Nobody is complaining that you downloaded the free one. That's fine. Don't be glad something was stolen though

I did and still see nothing wrong with it. If enjoying a clone of a game makes me a "terrible person," so be it. I didn't think threes was worth the money from pics (didn't seem like my type of game), somebody made a clone for free (decided to try it out) and I enjoyed it. Are you suggesting I should buy threes to make up for it or something?

So are the people that bought angry birds terrible people for spending money on revamped clone of crush the castle? are the people that spend money on mobile games that are literal ripoffs of newgrounds flash games terrible people, too? what about the people that bought game dev tycoon on PC which is a ripoff of game dev story on mobile?

unless there's a clear distinction between these and 2048/threes i'm missing.

Threes is a far superior game. You should think about getting it, regardless of your stance on 2048 and everyone else's concerns about the developer

Wasn't Flappy Bird itself just a clone?

It know it got cloned a bunch, but like 2048, it is just the more popular build of older clones and games.
Example: "Helicopter Game"

Rembrandt

Banned
Might as well have said "I'm glad that guy stole somebody's PS4. I wouldn't have gotten to buy it for so cheap if he didn't."

Nobody is complaining that you downloaded the free one. That's fine. Don't be glad something was stolen though

uh, sure. if you think making a game with similar game mechanics is akin to somebody stealing physical property.

if there was an ad supported version, then maybe people wouldn't have flocked to 2048. can't be mad at the mobile landscape if a person isn't adjusting to it.

Threes is a far superior game. You should think about getting it, regardless of your stance on 2048 and everyone else's concerns about the developer

I was actually gonna buy it on my XB1 when I finish this bing stuff.

Rembrandt

Banned
one of these things is not like the other. Aren't there rules against this type of BS on neogaf?

explain this because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I don't wanna type up a response until I know exactly what you mean.

are you implying that it's logically inconsistent to not think something is worth an amount of money, but then upon trying a free clone (which understandably has a lower barrier of entry), you unexpectedly enjoy it?

I'm surprised to hear Threes came first. I feel like I'd heard people talking about playing 2048 long before I ever heard anyone even mention Threes.

uh, sure. if you think making a game with similar game mechanics is akin to somebody stealing physical property.

if there was an ad supported version, then maybe people wouldn't have flocked to 2048. can't be mad at the mobile landscape if a person isn't adjusting to it.

I'm positive people aren't upset that others are flocking to a free albeit arguably inferior clone, but rather your attitude, which comes across as unnecessarily antagonistic. Maybe there's context to explain it though, like bad history between you and the Threes developers or perhaps you're just such a bad ass that you can't turn it off. Either way, I'm sure there's a reason.

RawNuts

iTunes says the app itself dates back to early October, a few weeks before I submitted Rotable. The assholes overwrote an existing app they had cataloged in order to spoof the date.

What fucking scum.

I hope people see this article when they look up the company if they're contacted about a publishing deal by them.

kiguel182

I had Threes from that Amazon Free Apps deal but this thread just made me buy the Play version. Just seeing some reactions here is infuriating.

explain this because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I don't wanna type up a response until I know exactly what you mean.

are you implying that it's logically inconsistent to not think something is worth an amount of money, but then upon trying a free clone (which understandably has a lower barrier of entry), you unexpectedly enjoy it?

You're backpedaling. "all I said was....'

no, that's not what you said at all. What you said was idiotic.

What fucking scum.

I hope people see this article when they look up the company if they're contacted about a publishing deal by them.

I don't keep up with the behind the scenes of the App Store, but I'm hoping Apple becomes aware of their shenanigans and responds accordingly.

Rembrandt

Banned
You're backpedaling. "all I said was....'

no, that's not what you said at all. What you said was idiotic.

how am i backpedaling?

you're way too angry because I don't see anything inconsistent between those two posts. I would love for you to explain how I'm backpedaling exactly.

what do you mean that's not what I said at all? lmao.

Orayn

There is such a thing as intellectual property, you know.

how am i backpedaling?

you're way too angry because I don't see anything inconsistent between those two posts. I would love for you to explain how I'm backpedaling exactly.

LOL how am I angry because i pointed out your hypocrisy and stupidity, along with 75 percent of the other posters in this thread. 'i'm glad they stole threes' and 'I tried out 2048 and liked it' are not the same thing. Now i'm off to play dark souls 2, as you are clearly nothing more than a waste of everybodys time. bye!!

Rembrandt

Banned
There is such a thing as intellectual property, you know.

Does IP cover game mechanics?

LOL how am I angry because i pointed out your hypocrisy and stupidity, along with 75 percent of the other posters in this thread. 'i'm glad they stole threes' and 'I tried out 2048 and liked it' are not the same thing. Now i'm off to play dark souls 2, as you are clearly nothing more than a waste of everybodys time. bye!!

uh... nowhere did I say they were the same thing? you seem very confused, i'm sorry my post did that to you. go back and read the posts you quoted.

No_Style

It's a really shitty practice and I'm glad it's getting more exposure.

I can't help but feel like I've heard stuff like this happening in the film industry as well. Isn't it the reason why Deep Impact and Armageddon near each other?

Also when does replying and countering other people's opinions constitutes as anger? It's just a few steps removed from saying "u mad bro?".

PaulloDEC

uh... nowhere did I say they were the same thing? you seem very confused, i'm sorry my post did that to you. go back and read the posts you quoted.

Do you really not understand that people on this forum for video game enthusiasts are upset that you said you were glad that a developer had their original, high-quality game design ripped off by another studio?

Rembrandt

Banned
Do you really not understand that people on this forum for video game enthusiasts are upset that you said you were glad that a developer had their original, high-quality game design ripped off by another studio?

oh yeah, I understand, but I also think a lot of the posts are pretty hyperbolic. It can go hand in hand.

if my post objectively made me a terrible human being, then I think that's beyond responding to. that's such a ridiculous statement for something so trivial.

Orayn

Does IP cover game mechanics?

Yes you can. Lawsuits involving them tend to be somewhat rare, but this case is pretty blatant. It's basically like someone pitching a movie script, getting turned down, then seeing the studio go ahead and make the exact same movie with some minor details changed and pass it off as their own work. Is that something you consider acceptable?

m@cross

This is one of the bigger issues I have with the mobile market and why I think it is eroding gaming creativity. Games that are $2 are to expensive and instead someone steals their idea and throws it up for free, I assume add supported, and demeans the effort the original idea's owner put all the time into.

It is utter shit and will only piss on creativity and encourage the practice. Eventually we will get nothing but buzzard companies waiting to re-skin the next guy stupid enough to publish an original idea on a mobile platform.

If mobile gaming continues to grow, I worry not that it will push out consoles, but that IF it does, we will be stuck with a future filled with the most abysmal shit as games and a market filled with douches like you know who who think free is the only price worth paying.

It's a really shitty practice and I'm glad it's getting more exposure.

I can't help but feel like I've heard stuff like this happening in the film industry as well. Isn't it the reason why Deep Impact and Armageddon near each other?
There is obviously stuff like Asylum films (is that what they're called?) that do things like "Atlantic Rift" (Pacific Rim rip), but the problem in this case is that Ketchapp is getting more money than the original developers for essentially just re-making a game. I feel like people would care a lot less if the original was still getting the recognition and attention it deserves, but in this case where more people know about 2048 than Threes it's kind of shitty.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yes you can. Lawsuits involving them tend to be somewhat rare, but this case is pretty blatant. It's basically like someone pitching a movie script, getting turned down, then seeing the studio go ahead and make the exact same movie with some minor details changed and pass it off as their own work. Is that something you consider acceptable?

Can you really? Any examples of this?

That seems like a big slippery slope.

If you're referring to the story this post was originally about, then no. I even said it sucked for the author, but admitted the mobile industry thrives off it.

if you're referring to threes/2048, then it's not an apt comparison. it would be like something making a successful movie, then somebody else copying it, changing some details and releasing their version for free. in that case, no, not really.

also, before people assume I don't buy mobile games, I do pretty often. Just didn't think threes was worth the money, but if they had an ad supported version with the ability to pay to turn off ads, I would have downloaded that and paid. The idea/screens of the game turned me off from purchasing it. sorry for being a smart consumer, lol.

are people that pirate music objectively terrible people since I'm assuming they're glad a CD leaked? that was just an extreme thing to say.
Uh yeah probably, because they are thieves trying to get something for free. Without a moral compass, they feel entitled to taking something they don't deserve and didn't pay for. So yeah, I'd call pirates terrible people as well.

Top Bottom