• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Bebpo

Banned
Kind of surprised that this sold only 2/3rds of what Z2 Hakai-hen did when last gen on PS2 OGs sold neck and neck (sometimes better) with the licensed titles.

I wonder if that means people are kind of getting over the OG series and want more licensed SRWs. There are so few licensed SRWs that could explain why Z2 sold so well.

As much as I like the OG universe (and I do like it a lot), It'd be nice if there were 3-4 licensed SRW games between each OG game. It gives them more OG stuff to work with as well.

Shouta

The long wait for it could've been a factor plus the lower number of PS3s in general. The PSP has a pretty large base plus lots of folks are playing games on the go now which helps to contribute to the Z series getting a bit more exposure.

Lower PS3 install base than PS2 and PSP.
Less interest in OG than licensed SRW.

Yeah, what Shouta said.

I'd kill for an HD licensed SRW title.

The draw of 2nd OGs is how good it looks and all the flashy animations. So it really depends on if that's enough to sway the interest of the SRW buying public. Maybe 2nd week sales will be relatively ok?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Played a while yesterday, more than anything this makes me realize how much I want a portable HD SRW, how possible it is on the vita, and how impossible at the same time ( つ Д `)

Ken

You can only pick one unit to support attack per turn so if you want two support attacks, you need to Twin up the Blue Gespenst with another unit that also has the Support Attack Skill. Make sure you Twin up the Red Gespenst as well.

ATM I have the chaingun red Gespent (?) with the other red unit that punches things with lightning hands, and the blue guncannon with the big red punching thing with pyramid hands.

I want HD Z2 on my PS3. :(

What are the access codes for on the sheets that came in the manual? One looks like it's for some mobage cell phone card game. The other is for access to the web site?

Bebpo

Banned
The long wait for it could've been a factor plus the lower number of PS3s in general. The PSP has a pretty large base plus lots of folks are playing games on the go now which helps to contribute to the Z series getting a bit more exposure.

So the take away from this is they shouldn't make anymore console SRW games and Z3 & 3rd OGs will be on the 3DS :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What are the access codes for on the sheets that came in the manual? One looks like it's for some mobage cell phone card game. The other is for access to the web site?
Limited edition Cybuster card for the card chronicle game, and a wallpaper download for various devices for the other code

Shouta

So the take away from this is they shouldn't make anymore console SRW games and Z3 & 3rd OGs will be on the 3DS :(

Not likely, I think. Nintendo has had a handheld lead since last generation but they didn't bring their big titles to the DS at all. It got a bunch of solo SRWs of varying quality. Their big titles have been PS2 and PSP, particularly OG and Z. They need to reuse assets to keep the games profitable and considering all the work they've done for the PS3 version, more PS3 games or even Vita ones are a possibility because they don't have to spend the extra time creating an engine or doing the base work. They'd just have to do the sprite work.

Plus, they prefer more powerful systems so they have a little bit more leeway in what they do. the 3DS is going to be limited in the type of stuff they can do especially after working on the PS3 and though they're making one for it, it'll probably be another standalone title.

Shouta

I finished my first run on Hard. That last stage is a real slug-fest even with maxed units. I really hate to imagine it on EX-Hard.

It's definitely my favorite SRW so far, I think. It's tuned pretty nicely and can be difficult or easy depending on play style. The graphics are amazing, pretty good customization, and there's pretty good variety in the maps. The units are finally pretty unique all across the board too. The story is pretty brisk and nicely woven as well plus they really fixed a lot of the issues in some of the storylines. There was some really awesome fanservice in there as well in regards to mechs.

On the other hand, the lack of units to hop around in is a little sad. The equippable weapons didn't have a big use (at least for my playthrough). The lack of more offensive PP skills is a annoying as well. The villains could've been ab it crazier in how things got done though that would mess with the story a bit much.

Honestly, in a lot ways this game works exactly like Alpha 2 does. It isn't super crazy or out of this world but works really well as a connecting game in story. It does a lot of that too which is pretty neat. There's a lot of spoilery stuff in there as well so I'll avoid that but despite not being as wild as SRW games get in what's going on, it does what it needs to pretty well.

Definitely going to do a second run through so I can get special mode and fill out the scenario chart. Then I'll come back later for EX-Hard or to do some hyper damage videos.

Just reached 33(or 34 can't remember).

I'm beating some stages by the skin of my teeth.

I have Kyousuke/Zengar twinned up for the main squad. I don't really have any heavy hitters for the support squad though. I usually use whoever happens to be close enough.

Don't think I've managed to get 20,000 damage in one attack so I need to do some changing considering some of the coming stages have SR's that require dealing that much at least.

Absol

Maximum Break is your best friend. I haven't upgraded any of my units aside from a few EN levels to a few mechs and as long as the boss has no guard I can do around 25k-30k damage with Rampage Ghost + Tatsumaki Zankantou + whoever supports.

Jubern

I'm around the same (36) and the easiest way to deal damage for me (earth route) is Zangar + Hugo (for the critical twin seishin) supported by Excellen (Rampage Ghost) + Josh (Burst Rave).

Excellen an be problematic with bosses that have bunshin, but I eventually manage to make her hit lol.

squall23

The draw of 2nd OGs is how good it looks and all the flashy animations. So it really depends on if that's enough to sway the interest of the SRW buying public. Maybe 2nd week sales will be relatively ok?
If you're hoping that 2nd week sales will reach even half of first week sales then get ready to be disappointed. Very few games can do that let alone SRW. The question right now actually is will it reach Bamco's expectations of 350k.

I tried that combo and did something like 13,000 + 3000, then 7000 + 3000.

Now that I think about it, I should probably have put Hugo/Aqua in Garmraid. In Cerberus he can only use that rifle attack for the combo since Terminus Cannon is an ALL attack.

I haven't used a single MB attack yet. I don't even know how to perform them actually.

Ahhhh the route splits always get me. It's a bit harder with OG games where I don't really have a single favorite character. Well Masaki would be it for this game, but nope. That lazy jerk is still probably taking it easy back at La Gias.

Edit: When are getting SRW J protags damn it!!!

Souther

Banned
Same here. Handhelds just don't do it for me.

I play Z2 on my LCD via a PSP to HDMI Converter. The one I have outputs 720P but you can get one that outputs 1080P as well.

It also has a zoom on the cable that allows it to go fullscreen as opposed to the default cable that you can buy for the psp that has the game running in a window and then you have to try and zoom it with your tv.

Considering the PSP only outputs 480x272 this upscaler does a very good job. The picture quality is very good. Sure its not true HD like OG2 for the PS3 but what can ya do.

If you go to this website

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de

And then use the search function on your browser, and input this
"Lenkeng Series of video game processors"

You can read about it.

You can buy the scaler from ebay here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190670068761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-------

JinRai showed up and wasn't expecting it...Was pretty awesome. He's badass. Currently on stage 23.

Hmmm yeah definitely having trouble killing some of the bosses. But I am going to blame the route split on this one, what with the game taking away 1,650,000 unit upgrades worth of cash from me on this one.

Shouta

I tried that combo and did something like 13,000 + 3000, then 7000 + 3000.

Now that I think about it, I should probably have put Hugo/Aqua in Garmraid. In Cerberus he can only use that rifle attack for the combo since Terminus Cannon is an ALL attack.

I haven't used a single MB attack yet. I don't even know how to perform them actually.

You need to have someone with the required skill initiate an attack with a weapon that has the F icon. Everyone in the attack has to be 140 Morale or higher and the other two units need to be next to the leader. It's a little rough to get started but it's really good.

I play Z2 on my LCD via a PSP to HDMI Converter. The one I have outputs 720P but you can get one that outputs 1080P as well.

It also has a zoom on the cable that allows it to go fullscreen as opposed to the default cable that you can buy for the psp that has the game running in a window and then you have to try and zoom it with your tv.

Considering the PSP only outputs 480x272 this upscaler does a very good job. The picture quality is very good. Sure its not true HD like OG2 for the PS3 but what can ya do.

If you go to this website

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de

And then use the search function on your browser, and input this
"Lenkeng Series of video game processors"

You can read about it.

You can buy the scaler from ebay here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190670068761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-------

JinRai showed up and wasn't expecting it...Was pretty awesome. He's badass. Currently on stage 23.

I have that but the degradation in quality is really bad. =/ SRW isn't hurt too bad by it but other games are no good.

Jubern

Money and PP.

Sometimes a skill point too (in that case the game tells you right away though).

What are you guys doing with your PP? The lack of really good offensive skills (except Continuous Movement, but I don't see myself having much use for it) is a little off-putting, I have a few characters with 350+ PP and I just don't know what to do with those...

Ken

In a way since you're not getting the EXP, money, and some them drops awesome items.

How would I take them out? I never do that much damage; I don't think I've had anyone break 7k damage yet. I'm currently on mission 12 I think. Just completed this island stage so if you could come up with an example strategy with the units and spirit commands available that early on would be helpful.

Coxy

Money and PP.

Sometimes a skill point too (in that case the game tells you right away though).

What are you guys doing with your PP? The lack of really good offensive skills (except Continuous Movement, but I don't see myself having much use for it) is a little off-putting, I have a few characters with 350+ PP and I just don't know what to do with those...

I saved up for SP regen then realized it wasnt there, how am I supposed to alert scrub now?

Jubern

How would I take them out? I never do that much damage; I don't think I've had anyone break 7k damage yet. I'm currently on mission 12 I think. Just completed this island stage so if you could come up with an example strategy with the units and spirit commands available that early on would be helpful.

The best setup is to twin two strong hitter and have another twin next to them in which both units have support attack. Some characters have a twin spirit command that will make every attack a critical (Irm and Hugo have it, probably others). Keep in mind that sub units and support attacks CAN use combination attacks (if you support attack with Excellen and Kyousuke is near her - not necessarily twinned with her - she'll be able to use Rampage Ghost)

I put an example a couple of posts ago.

I'm around the same (36) and the easiest way to deal damage for me (earth route) is Zangar + Hugo (for the critical twin seishin) supported by Excellen (Rampage Ghost) + Josh (Burst Rave).

Excellen an be problematic with bosses that have bunshin, but I eventually manage to make her hit lol.

The next time some one scrapes together enough parts to make another Huckbein, they should make it look like a pirate.

Also this game is really pretty.

Ken

The best setup is to twin two strong hitter and have another twin next to them in which both units have support attack. Some characters have a twin spirit command that will make every attack a critical (Irm and Hugo have it, probably others). Keep in mind that sub units and support attacks CAN use combination attacks (if you support attack with Excellen and Kyousuke is near her - not necessarily twinned with her - she'll be able to use Rampage Ghost)

I put an example a couple of posts ago.

I don't understand this part. What is a sub unit? The second unite in a twin? Also the last part about Rampage Ghost. Is that a spirit command or an attack?

So I guess my priority right now is to put strong attackers into pairs and find two units with offensive support and put those in a pair too.

I don't understand this part. What is a sub unit? The second unite in a twin? Also the last part about Rampage Ghost. Is that a spirit command or an attack?

So I guess my priority right now is to put strong attackers into pairs and find two units with offensive support and put those in a pair too.

Yeah the sub unit is the 2nd unit in a twin unit. And yup Rampage Ghost is a combination attack. The game tends to not mention a lot of these things since they've been around in previous games and the players are kind of expected to know that.

I honestly don't think you should worry about getting kills on bosses and retreating enemies if you are unfamiliar with the game. It's a lame mechanic that kind of ruins the experience in general. But at least the ones you need for SR Points or objectives tend to be easier than some of the other ones that just run away.

Shouta

Those Team Up attacks show up in orange when you place the two units next to each other. Only certain units can use them. the Alt Eisen and Rein Weissritter are the ones that use Rampage Ghost. Alt is the red mech looks like it's a military unit but kinda bulky. Weissritter is white and has bat wings.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haven't played the game in quite a while. I've been out of town. Looking forward to dipping into it a little more tonight. I'm really not that far, but I'm really enjoying it. It's honestly making me dream of an HD SRW that's not OG.

fates

Oh god,
Zezenan's theme is freaking awesome
. SRW4 was the first game of the series I played. Nostalgia rush.

Shouta

Haven't played the game in quite a while. I've been out of town. Looking forward to dipping into it a little more tonight. I'm really not that far, but I'm really enjoying it. It's honestly making me dream of an HD SRW that's not OG.

Got on it! Chop chop! I'm doing my second run now.

Don't think it was mentioned but a unit does less damage to a unit that is not in the same position.

In other words, Main units in a twin squad do less damage to enemy subs, while sub's do less damage to mains.

But subs should do full damage to each other, same for mains if I remember correctly.

Well I am annoyed now. Just had to let a boss go with 382 HP because there was literally not a single thing more I could possibly do to deal enough damage to it in a single hit.

Oh god,
Zezenan's theme is freaking awesome
. SRW4 was the first game of the series I played. Nostalgia rush.
I haven't received the game yet but I've been wondering about one thing: how are EX and
4/F
treated? I'm asking because as central as SRW2 was to the first OG, I felt the Inspectors were kind of underwhelming in OG2.
I'm kind of in your shoes: began with EX, caught up on 3 and moved on to 4/4S. I even bought a Saturn mostly for F/FF. So I tend to care about the original series and I have this memory of some enemies being badasses.

squall23

There's just something great about having The Watchdog of Hell unlocked when you get Garmreid Blaze without having to use Cerberus Ignite.

Well I am annoyed now. Just had to let a boss go with 382 HP because there was literally not a single thing more I could possibly do to deal enough damage to it in a single hit.

Restart the stage. I've had to do that a couple times due to judgement errors.

Have all 39 SR's so far and I don't plan on stopping getting each one.

Current setup is Zengar/Ryuusei + Excellen/Seolla with Arado/Kyousuke/Ratsel/Villeta nearby for the combination requirements.

Highest hp amount I've had to take out with one attack was 22,000. I might need to change out that strategy eventually though.

Restart the stage. I've had to do that a couple times due to judgement errors.
Not worth it, some bosses are just a lot harder to take out than others. Also this wasn't a judgement error. The set up I had was actually far better than I could have ever intentionally made in the first place. To get that boss I'd probably have to restart the whole game and rebuild all my pilots from the ground up.

Have all 39 SR's so far and I don't plan on stopping getting each one.
Also this wasn't related to SR point boss, since those are easy. It's just that some bosses are harder than others.

Top Bottom