• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Not worth it, some bosses are just a lot harder to take out than others. Also this wasn't a judgement error. The set up I had was actually far better than I could have ever intentionally made in the first place. To get that boss I'd probably have to restart the whole game and rebuild all my pilots from the ground up.

Also this wasn't related to SR point boss, since those are easy. It's just that some bosses are harder than others.

Ahh. Yeah some of the non SR ones are hard.

I just finished one just now that required me to change my squad setup in a few turns to pull off.

Maximum Break Kyousuke/Arado plus Zengar/Ryuusei. The Maximum Break itself did like 2000 damage, but I guess the draw is the second squad does full damage and does not need support attack to assist. Just those F type weapons in their list.

If I want to increase the damage of my combo attacks, do I put points into the stat the attack uses? Like how much of a damage increase will I get from Zengar if I put 300PP worth of stats into melee. Also, do you need to do this for both required members of the combo attack or just the one who's actually attacking?

The only time I've put points into stats in any SRW was when I wanted enough skill to Attack Again everything in sight.

Combination attack damage is based on a thematically fitting attack that's part of the combination. So for Rampage Ghost it would be Revolving Stake/Bunker + Howling+Oxtongue Rifle W. But since all fixed weapons upgrade at the same time it effectively doesn't matter for 2nd OGs. You just have to upgrade the damage of each unit.

But I do believe leveling up the stat will increase the overall damage dealt.

Also since there are so few skills to get, there is nothing to do with points but raise the stats.

Ken

What's the name and where can I find the theme of the blue robot whose shoulders can turn into cannons and has a female pilot. I think her default spirit commands are +movement and +30% to hit and evasion.

squall23

Arguably one of the best themes in the series, and it belongs to a character that's almost irrelevant to the plot at this point.

Not as irrelevant as Yuuki and Carla.

hteng

Banned
just finished the game today, on hard mode, you fight
euzeth
as a last boss while you fight
guneden
in normalmode.

Final boss's attack hints at some sort of relation to past SRW games, even as far as back to the classic timelines, which is pretty awesome.

One thing that they did right this time was use actual songs for the last 3 stages, i love it when
Skill
friggin came up during the
Guneden
fight WOOOOOOO OOOOOO OOO

It kinda sucks that i missed the
forte gigas
secret, i missed a few of their events it seems. kill counts weren't a problem.
on the side note, the masoukishin secrets were damn awesome, it seems impossible get stage 44's SR points without them.

Arguably one of the best themes in the series, and it belongs to a character that's almost irrelevant to the plot at this point.

Not as irrelevant as Yuuki and Carla.

lol nope, heres the best theme in the game, well at least its new to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelG_PUT8qk&list=UU-skE2JUxQfPP7SaAQQfVqw&index=5

squall23

At least their Mecha look original, instead of just another Lion type.
Well yes of course they look original considering they're hand-me-downs from Advance. The @ protagonists can be boiled down to this:

Bullet and Kusuha: main characters, they have all the plot and the uber Chinese deities
Ryoto and Rio: Huckebein engineers and users so somewhat important to the plot (
not for this game anyway
)
Tasuku and Leona: gets Siegerlion and Giganscudo/Duro, otherwise just here for comedic effect
Yuuki and Carla: gets a mech that's not even from their own series nor is it a brand new design + flight packs for them, even less relevant to the story somehow

Prior to the game being released, so many people actually believed that Yuuki and Carla would get the JakuBuOh because that would bring them into the centre of the story alongside an upgrade they desperately need, but NOPE.

hteng

Banned
On stage 43 right now.

Coming up to
Forte Gigas
pretty soon.

If I don't get it I'm going to be pissed.

I didn't get it, you won't miss out much though, it can't separate. I always find it weird that the SRX can't be sortied combined while this can.

on topic, anyone find that their reals became irrelevant or lacking for the later stages?

Almost all my reals become acceleration spirit whores, they can't tank or dodge, especially when the boss's prevail activates, a direct hit will always one shoot my reals.

As for damage, unless they are combination attacks, most suck as well. I had Gai's gespenst upgraded and equiped to the teeth (S rank terrain, weapons fully upgraded, relevant skills..etc) with full on Soul do a measly 14k damage while my Soulgain does like 20k with hotblood alone lol. and I'll be damn my Soulgain can at least tank a few hits without any defensive seishins and regen back later.

also, is my Gai's leadership skill bugged? coz i absolutely cannot trigger maximum break with him, i can do it with Katina, Viletta and Kyosuke no problem.

squall23

I didn't get it, you won't miss out much though, it can't separate. I always find it weird that the SRX can't be sortied combined while this can.
They're probably stuck in their old ways or keeping up traditions. SRX never sortied combined whereas Fortegigas did. Now, if they do the same crap with Banpreios then I'll truly be pissed.

Also, I just got Garmreid Blaze and S mode is completely a Dendoh reference. Even moreso than it was in MX. Everytime I use TE Sphere Blazer it reminds of Gatling Boar FA.

Shouta

I didn't think about it but yeah, pretty Dendoh like, eh?

And SRX not being a single slot is probably to avoid getting so much power put on the field in one slot. It's unit that can do 3 attacks before finishing its turn technically so the slot to performance ratio is a bit wonky.

Talaysen

And SRX not being a single slot is probably to avoid getting so much power put on the field in one slot. It's unit that can do 3 attacks before finishing its turn technically so the slot to performance ratio is a bit wonky.

Was the whole 3 attacks thing even intentional in the first place? I figured it wasn't at first but they just left it in for funs.

Shouta

Was the whole 3 attacks thing even intentional in the first place? I figured it wasn't at first but they just left it in for funs.

It's a product of how they decide turns. Ryusei is the pilot so his turn is the only one that matters for the SRX. That means Rai and Aya can be move and attack still and as long as they stay in adjacent squares. After they attack, you can form the SRX still so.

It works for other multi-unit robots as well though but the SRX Team is by far the most effective because of R-Formation and the power of the SRX itself.

Acosta

10 missions only, easy so far. My MKII Twin unit both with the "melee" mod is unstoppable.

It's me or Valsione had more attacks in the last OG?

The visuals are incredible and I love the game, but I miss a bit of more rhythm adding units, hope it ramps a bit soon because I'm basically using the same ones in each mission with little to spice it.

The visuals are incredible and I love the game, but I miss a bit of more rhythm adding units, hope it ramps a bit soon because I'm basically using the same ones in each mission with little to spice it.
I was thinking the same thing, but that's mainly because I don't like any of the OG cast. At some point in time I started complaining that nothing interesting happened for at least 5 stages and that I didn't even get a new character or unit in a long time. Because I completely forgot that I got Axel just the last stage.

I was thinking the same thing, but that's mainly because I don't like any of the OG cast. At some point in time I started complaining that nothing interesting happened for at least 5 stages and that I didn't even get a new character or unit in a long time. Because I completely forgot that I got Axel just the last stage.

Why are you playing the game then?

I'm on stage
right now.

Since I'm almost at the end I decided to look ahead in the akurasu flowchart and noticed there are
two route splits based on the difficulty you're playing on.

I've gotten every single SR point so far so I guess I'll be going on the hard route. I also heard the final boss changes if you've gotten at least 40 SR points.

Jubern

Stage 44 : HOLY SHIT

I never played the old series so all this plot points are new to me. And this stage delivers in an INCREDIBLE WAY.

SHUUUUUUUU, I love you.

Received the game yesterday. I had (finally) finished OGG and replayed MK part 1 in anticipation. So it's quite nice to play the EX part with all the La Gias (Langran being fucked and the death of Shuu in Ragnarok) stuff so fresh in my mind.
I've only played a dozen missions so far but the game is really good. I only have 2 minor gripes: it would have been nice to have surround sound for the music and the save/load times aren't too great (+contrarian button logic when your console is set with X validation).

Edit: speaking of EX, is the content of Shuu's path somehow covered? I mean story/character wise. I remember I loved that in EX.

Coxy

you guys are so far ahead, I just did stages 37 and 38, those were pretty freaking awesome

stage 37:
I want to see Baran Doban vs Bunkwaran someday, I love this guy, his mech just wellies it around punchining people, and that missed attack animation lol Kaiser is one of my favourite mechs and emmy is one of my favourite pilots so this stage was pretty much my favourite so far

Stage 38:
didnt realize you had to wait it out and failed the mission twice, first time I piled on the final form with everything I had trying to kill it and accidently killed the tiger in the process, second time I accidently pressed the wrong button and Ratsel MAP attacked Bullet into oblivion. Shameful display but I laughed

Isn't your avatar Ricardo, an OG character?

Yes but I got it for the hell of it because it's a great picture and the Masou Kisin games were rather entertaining, from what I played of them. Having a game focus on a single set of characters really helps that.

Also I probably would have been less annoyed about all of this if Masaki was around for the past 20+ stages.
Stage 38:
didnt realize you had to wait it out and failed the mission twice, first time I piled on the final form with everything I had trying to kill it and accidently killed the tiger in the process, second time I accidently pressed the wrong button and Ratsel MAP attacked Bullet into oblivion. Shameful display but I laughed
Sounds to me like you just have to be careful with friendly fire.

on the side note, the masoukishin secrets were damn awesome, it seems impossible get stage 44's SR points without them.

Nah the SR point is too easy/boring, Masaki could do it on his own. Whats difficult is trying to kill the other bosses on the map.

Edit: Hah, this thread slowed down a bit.

I don't think you can kill the other ones on that stage unless you're heavily upgraded.

I only go after non SR bosses if I won't lose out on SR by doing so.

So I haven't played in a few days but I'm hoping to finish up within the next few.

Y5mlZ.jpg

It has arrived. Finally.

Jubern

Nah the SR point is too easy/boring, Masaki could do it on his own. Whats difficult is trying to kill the other bosses on the map.

Edit: Hah, this thread slowed down a bit.

I slowed down quite a bit myself, as usual when playing a SRW. I usually plow through the first half or 2/3, then get a bit burned out and start to play something else at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if it took me two or three more weeks to finish it.

Mission 31 cleared. The game has been pretty great so far, if a bit too easy to my liking. The only times I broke a sweat were
that last EX map and the couple of run-ins I've had with the Guests
. I like how they went out of their way to include music from 4. Hell, the music has been a very great collection of past themes so far. I hope more themes from 4 show up (toki wo koete would be awesome).

Speaking of which, Ing's theme is pretty cool. It's a bit funny how they feel the need to introduce
clones of Ingram
rather than bring him back. I guess we'll get
Cobray
next time around. But at this point (and I don't know how much this one diverts from Alpha)
it would make more sense to just bring him back. He's always seemed very similar to Shuu to me in that they're both bound by fate but eventually break free of their shackles. Hell, Shuu even mentions that similitude during Ragnarok in OGG. Considering Shuu gets resurrected with his own free will in EX, I'd like to see a similar fate for Ingram. If only to get Time Diver back.
Also, it's my understanding Ingram and Shuu are pretty much the only characters aware of multiple timeline/universes. Which could lead to great things in such a meta-series.
(I'm spoiling this but it's mostly wishful thinking)

edit: to port beg a bit, given the assets of the game, HD/Vita versions of OGs and OGG would really make sense. That or a 3.5 I guess. Tell me there's no "to be continued in OG 3.5" this time.

On stage
right now.

Last stage I barely had enough SP to finish because there were so many bosses.

So, for my boss killing team, if I fully upgrade each unit and pump PP into the stat their best attacks use I should be set?

I'm just skeptical about how much of a damage increase I'll get with PP stat increase as I've never done it in an SRW game before.

Also, someone is planning on doing the whole game + subbing each stage.

Video.

Looking good.

squall23

Also, it's my understanding Ingram and Shuu are pretty much the only characters aware of multiple timeline/universes. Which could lead to great things in such a meta-series.
(I'm spoiling this but it's mostly wishful thinking)
Actually, you'll get an even better explanation about that stuff during the final stages of the game. After the final boss's revelation to everybody, you realize that alongside Ingram and Shuu; the final boss, Ryusei, Kusuha, and Bullet are also aware of their other lives.

Ugly upgrades are a running theme its seems to me. I honestly can't think of a single upgrade that's better that the original robot, or really even looks good in the first place.

squall23

Ugly upgrades are a running theme its seems to me. I honestly can't think of a single upgrade that's better that the original robot, or really even looks good in the first place.
Fortegigas > D reals and their upgrades
RyuKoOh > RyuJinKi
Garmreid Blaze both forms > Garmreid
Ashe > Exexbein > R-Blade Custom

The only ones that I can agree with you are Cerberus and
Exexbein
(kind of). All the Cerberuses are pretty mediocre anyway and
Exexbein
would be much better if it didn't look so spiky. Hyperion is really just Altairlion with an extra flight module so I don't like it or hate it more one way or the other. In fact, it reminds me of Neue Ziel with a paint job.

Forte Gigas is the ugliest thing in this game. And that's including enemy units. Garmraid Blaze just looks toyetic as hell. Like some one slapped a bunch of ugly plastic accessories onto it. I am not counting Choujinki units since they were already useable units in previous games.

edit:
removing all the spiky bits won't get rid of the ugly goggles on the Exexbein.

squall23

Fortegigas is amazing because of the fact that it's a multi-coloured clusterfuck. You look at Ganador and Strega and go "how the hell do these 2 things combine?" Then out comes the glory that is Fortegigas.

Garmreid Blaze's upgrade has to do with it's story in MX. The inspiration for it's design story-wise was because of this guy:

Thus making it also amazing.

Well, I put something like 300-400PP into Josh's melee stat and he's doing the same damage he did before.

I must be missing something because right now I've pretty much wasted a ton of PP.

Hmm, I guess I just needed time to see the difference. Kyousuke and Zengar are hitting for pretty good damage now as well as Josh. Some of my characters have like 700PP, I need to spend that since I only have a few stages left.

Also, stages 59,60 were pretty awesome. Dat music on stage 60.

Top Bottom