• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Yeah it's kind of a shame there aren't that many good pilot skills to spend points on. Guess they decided to scale back on the insanity of Z2.

What's the best stat to pump money into?

Melee (格闘) for melee characters (first stat listed, melee weapons are denoted by a fist icon in weapons list).

Range (射撃) for ranged characters (second stat listed, ranged weapons are denoted by a crosshair icon in the weapons list).

Look at the character's weapons and see how much melee vs ranged they have. Someone like Ing has mostly ranged weapons including his final so increasing his melee stat is pointless for example.

Melee (格闘) for melee characters (first stat listed, melee weapons are denoted by a fist icon in weapons list).

Range (射撃) for ranged characters (second stat listed, ranged weapons are denoted by a crosshair icon in the weapons list).

Look at the character's weapons and see how much melee vs ranged they have. Someone like Ing has mostly ranged weapons including his final so increasing his melee stat is pointless for example.

Why would you spend point for Melee and Range? It only increase accuracy, not the damage of that type of weapon, which can be done by upgrading the robot or using OP part. I would prefer my left over PP on ability "Attack again" and increase skill point (技量).

Shouta

Why would you spend point for Melee and Range? It only increase accuracy, not the damage of that type of weapon, which can be done by upgrading the robot or using OP part. I would prefer my left over PP on ability "Attack again" and increase skill point (技量).

That's incorrect. Melee and Range both increase damage for their respective weapon types. You get more of a quick bonus from upgrading the units' attack power or increasing the terrain affinity for the attack but after those are done, the only way to increase your damage output is through those stats and the Morale Limit Break.

Yeah, I'm glad I started pumping melee/ranged stats because there is a noticeable damage increase.

Also on stage
now. I ended up quitting mid way through once I realized I shouldn't have blown everything on the grunts for the skill point early instead of taking my time and conserving SP since they give you a generous amount of turns to get the SR(did it by turn 3). Even then, I still managed to get ALMOST FINAL BOSS SPOILERS
Gan Eden
down to 99,999hp.
HOLY SHIT, that SKILL really made me want to continue onward.

When I resume tomorrow I should be able to get through it now with my revised strategy. Then after that, only one stage remaining. :p

Ok this, ah what's going on? Not only can you not switch Ratsel's theme from "Trombe!" but it also over rides the boss themes as well. This is, kind of amazing in it's own way. Well I guess this can be considered an alternative to themes for attacks?

Ok this, ah what's going on? Not only can you not switch Ratsel's theme from "Trombe!" but it also over rides the boss themes as well. This is, kind of amazing in it's own way. Well I guess this can be considered an alternative to themes for attacks?

Yes, Ratsel is that badass that his theme overrides everything, even the Final Boss themes.

Go! Trombe!

Talaysen

It's been like that in all the OG games. Well maybe you could change it in OGs/OGG, but it's always trumped even boss themes.

Just finished map 7. Managed to defeat both of the running bosses, but I had to sit around for a couple of turns to get Irm some Will, heh. Didn't even get an item for the harder one. Lame.

I realized yesterday I had completely forgotten about the ability system. Am I missing something or is it just presented in an incredibly bloated way for a system were you essentially have to put 3 of the same ability on a pilot/unit?

Went through 33 space
another Guest stage with Seti and then Axel showing up
, I really like blowing up dozens of these enemies, it gives me some really old school vibes.

I realized yesterday I had completely forgotten about the ability system. Am I missing something or is it just presented in an incredibly bloated way for a system were you essentially have to put 3 of the same ability on a pilot/unit?
It's a replacement for the twin bonuses from OGs with some customization. The point of 3 abilities was that they are shared across the pilots/robots in a twin unit so you don't have to stick all 3 of the same type on a single thing. Giving you more flexibility to mix and match in the middle of the map. Although all of this really sounds like too much effort for very little gain.
It's been like that in all the OG games. Well maybe you could change it in OGs/OGG, but it's always trumped even boss themes.
Huh, did not notice that before. Mainly because I used the SRX team exclusively for 1st half of OGs, skipped the second half and used Compatible Kaiser and Yaldabaoth as the main units in OGG.

Shouta

Take it slow and save your SP for the final boss. You won't have a time limit so it's not a big deal if you want to handle all the regular enemies in the fashion you feel best.

Take it slow and save your SP for the final boss. You won't have a time limit so it's not a big deal if you want to handle all the regular enemies in the fashion you feel best.

What I ended up doing was bumrushing
Euzeth
and ignored everything else.

Had my ships tank the annoying grunts leaving my team to focus in relatively safety. Ended up winning by turn 4 thanks to Zeal/Awaken shenanigans.

Those map attacks really hurt though. At one point I had to do some funky SRX de-combine squad splitting and reforming with the SRX so I could heal the status effect.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. Managed to get all SR's which is a first as I usually skip out on some of the more difficult ones.

The HD was pretty amazing, definitely the most visually stimulating SRW created so far. If they can get this kind of quality down on the Vita then I imagine they would have a great seller on their hands.

I'm expecting that we'll get another licensed SRW next since they seem to alternate between the two if my memory isn't failing me.

I read on another forum that
apparently Bless from W is mentioned in the game, something about a message saying to protect his family. I don't recall seeing anything like that, can anyone confirm?

Shouta

I'm only going for the SR point one on my Special mode run. I'm trying to fill out the scenario chart on my second run instead.

Souther

Banned
On a second run atm. Game is awesome. Trying to get as many SR points this time around and all hidden stuff.

Does anybody know what the other option on the Intermission screen is for saving and loading? There is another option for each. Is it like 2 different slots?

I know you receive 50% of all PP and Money gained in your 1st playthrough when starting a 2nd one so i am assuming the 5million I was given starting my 2nd playthrough would be combined with everything i gain on this playthrough and then given back to me @ 75% on my 3rd playthrough correct?

Is "special mode" the EX hard mode? or do you have to beat EX hard mode and then you can choose it?

I think one of the coolest new mechs is G Bankaran.

Shouta

It's stage order and date order. So if you save after every map, you can sort look for the specific stage you want. Otherwise, it's when you saved it.

Talaysen

I'm up to stage 10 and still having fun. Usually the beginning of these games are the worst since you have less options, so that's a good sign.

Sadly not going to be able to play for about a week.

I know you receive 50% of all PP and Money gained in your 1st playthrough when starting a 2nd one so i am assuming the 5million I was given starting my 2nd playthrough would be combined with everything i gain on this playthrough and then given back to me @ 75% on my 3rd playthrough correct?

If it's like OGs, I think that's right. Unless it gives you 75% of the full 10 million (+ second playthrough stuff). I'm not entirely sure there.

Is "special mode" the EX hard mode? or do you have to beat EX hard mode and then you can choose it?

Special is different from EX Hard. Usually you have to beat EX Hard to unlock Special but I think someone said you only need to beat the game twice on any difficulty for Special now.

Special is basically the screw around and have fun mode, while EX Hard is the actual hard mode.

Ken

Wait which menu is it where I can even pump melee/range stats?

It's in the pilot skill upgrades menu.

I think he said before that he can't read Japanese though so that would be difficult to find.

If I remember correctly, should be second option down in the intermission menu. Then the second option within that.

First screen there is where you can put points into stats and terrain rankings. Press right to go to the skills menu where you can spend Pilot Points on skills.

Pilot Skills

The purchasable skills are in the same order on the wiki as they are in the game.

Ken

I think he said before that he can't read Japanese though so that would be difficult to find.

If I remember correctly, should be second option down in the intermission menu. Then the second option within that.

First screen there is where you can put points into stats and terrain rankings. Press right to go to the skills menu where you can spend Pilot Points on skills.

Pilot Skills

The purchasable skills are in the same order on the wiki as they are in the game.

So it's the first screen where I can increase melee/range right.

So it's the first screen where I can increase melee/range right.

First one is for pilot stats, second one is for skill learning.

Stat translation.

It's for a different game but you can read the first part for the stat translation.

Melee is the first stat listed, ranged is the second.

It costs 10PP to raise a stat by 1. So 100PP to raise a stat by 10, 500PP for 50 and so on.

I personally only raised stats when I was on like the last 5 stages as getting useful skills will serve you more than stats in the beginning.

Stage 23 and I haven't upgraded a single unit or equipped anything. I suppose I should soon. >>

Well you can equip/unequip parts and move them between units at any point in time before the mission so there is no point in not using them.

While spending money is a bit more of a commitment.

Ken

Well you can equip/unequip parts and move them between units at any point in time before the mission so there is no point in not using them.

While spending money is a bit more of a commitment.

I'm just too lazy to go into the equipment menu. Just want to see more pretty sprite animations. Finally started getting some crazy DBZ-esque combination attacks with the white/blue units (one has an armor purge and the other has funny wings and a rifle).

hteng

Banned
i heard there's a way to grind quick infinite money on stage 37 (where the Compatible Kaiser debuts), it's a legit strat but requires alot of preparation to make it work. Basically when kaiser comes out, there will be infinite spawning mass production jinrais, you'll need to place kaiser at their spawn location and during the enemy phase counter and one shoot all of them, this would create an endless loop of jinrai spawns.

the hard part is getting kaiser to one shot those jinrais, they had 16k hp (hard mode) and the best weapon kaiser has is his spiral knuckles (which doesn't consume any EN or bullet at all), at full upgrade it's only 5200 i think. You'll also need the revenge skill and kouta's ace to make your counter does 30% more damage, S terrain on land, pump enough points into melee skill, critical..etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I'm playing OGG and I remember how much I hate it. I hate stage bosses with HP regen who has ridiculous dodge/hit rates. So you have to save your EN/SP for them and if you don't realize they are coming later in the stage and there's an unbeatable boss before them that you waste all your SP/EN on...whoops, redo the entire stage. Plus all the bosses in OGG are such HP tanks that they take forever to wear down.

I'm glad I'm hearing 2nd OGs plays closer to the Z series than OGG. I like strategic SRW, but the problem with most SRW is since until you play a stage (or read a faq) you don't know how many waves and bosses there will be...it makes figure out when you can use your SP/EN a guessing game. With the easier SRW games, it's less of an issue and you can just have fun.

Oh, do you still upgrade your weapons separately in 2nd OGs? Kind of dislike that in OGG since it gets freaking expensive if you use several weapons regularly (grunt weapons, boss weapons)

Shouta

There's usually little reason to upgrade the equippable weapons in 2nd OGs but some of the F Weapons (For Maximum Breaks) or ALL weapons might be a decent idea so you can swap them around on some pilots.

Yeah some mechs lack an ALL weapon (Wildwurger!!) or an F Weapon (This screwed me up because the close combat frame doesn't have one so Kai couldn't Maximum Break.)

They're also good for filling holes in a mech's range.

Or if you feel like using the MP Huckebein MKII

Acosta

Man, I'm playing OGG and I remember how much I hate it. I hate stage bosses with HP regen who has ridiculous dodge/hit rates. So you have to save your EN/SP for them and if you don't realize they are coming later in the stage and there's an unbeatable boss before them that you waste all your SP/EN on...whoops, redo the entire stage. Plus all the bosses in OGG are such HP tanks that they take forever to wear down.

I'm glad I'm hearing 2nd OGs plays closer to the Z series than OGG. I like strategic SRW, but the problem with most SRW is since until you play a stage (or read a faq) you don't know how many waves and bosses there will be...it makes figure out when you can use your SP/EN a guessing game. With the easier SRW games, it's less of an issue and you can just have fun.

Oh, do you still upgrade your weapons separately in 2nd OGs? Kind of dislike that in OGG since it gets freaking expensive if you use several weapons regularly (grunt weapons, boss weapons)

I'm always super conservative using SP because I always wait for "one wave more" or some super hard boss that appears from nowhere. Nothing more frustrating that failing all my attacks (and it actually bothers me more in SRW, all that super attacks and animation for nothing, it looks so silly).

There doesn't seem to be a any worthwhile reason to upgrade equippable weapons other than just because you want to. Starting with OG 2 you already got most of the good units at the start of the game. So unless it's something like Shishio Blade or Black Hole Gun which were far better weapons than what some units head, there really isn't any necessity to use them.

F Weapon (This screwed me up because the close combat frame doesn't have one so Kai couldn't Maximum Break.)
Yeah but once you notice that you can just slap any worthless weapon in there and it won't make a difference. You just need it to active maximum break. There is no reason that it needs to be a good weapon or to ever use it.

I'm glad I'm hearing 2nd OGs plays closer to the Z series than OGG.
They do the opposite of OGG. They make all the early bosses annoying and difficult. And all the later ones incredibly easy.

The weapons in green text are the ones that are equipped on the unit. They can be moved to other units or removed if you want to do that. Weapons with "F" are the ones that will be used during the platoon attack portion of Maximum Break.

-neosaint

Neo Member
Hey Shouta did you rip the sprites on the OP yourself? Do you have more?

I've done a Valsione rip here

Planning to do more in the future.

Top Bottom