• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Jubern

Finally finished the game! Like often, I took a long break once I reached the 2/3rds of the game, which is why I'm so late.

Loved the EX scenario at the start. Short and straight to the point. Only problem I have is that ultimately, what is going on with Shu is VERY confusing. I watched the "Memorial Day" recap stage of Lord of Elemental a few months ago but it still pretty fuzzy in my mind... Where did he get his familiar btw? I definitely don't remember that from Memorial Day...
Anyway, that short stop to La Gias was awesome, and getting back the Elemental Lords near the end was ace.

D originals were by far the high point for me, as far as new characters go. Cool mains, cool suits, pretty original and memorable baddies (DAT
Seki Toshihiko
).
It made the ending
that much more depressing. Ventus and Chris "dying" leaving Liana alone, Josh being told that Glacies will die soon in the very last scene... Damn son.

I was complaining about the disappearance of Huckies before release and was happy to learn about what was going on with the EX Exbein... But ultimately I don't like it much. The basic frame is alright, as Ash I loved it, but all those Sliders and the T-Link Saber on its back are... ugh. It's just too overloaded.
Like what went on with Ing scenario-wise though. Final stage was awesome since
I played Alpha before. All that talk about residual memories and Euzeth remembering about us, the whole thing with Ingram.
Really nice.
Ah yes, I remember seeing a picture of Mao with a different haircut (from 4/F from what I gathered) talking with Irm. I thought it would be in the ending but I didn't saw her. Was it in the space splits?
Also, could anyone tell me what 4 and F/FF were about (without spoilers about events not covered in OG, if there's anything?), like is there any difference with how the events play out in OG2nd? (
Shu revelation about the causality disturbance caused by the Granzon's black box, Guests vs. Zovoak... I think that's all?
)

I may play the Maso Kishin games soon. Already played part one of LOE, but at this point I'm thinking on restarting to play the PSP version rather than the DS one. It's been a year or so since I played it too...

I'm really pumped for OG3. Thinking rationally, it'll probably come out in one or two years top, they've done all the hard work.

Final edit/PS: I hope the OST eventually comes out, or at the very least a good rip (found one, but no names and not looped...)

Ah yes, I remember seeing a picture of Mao with a different haircut (from 4/F from what I gathered) talking with Irm. I thought it would be in the ending but I didn't saw her. Was it in the space splits?

I thought that was from the OG Inspector anime. But yes I believe she shows up in the space route after all the Guests stuff is taken care of. Very brief appearance.

Edit: I really should write up my thoughts for this game but then the fact that I didn't bother also kind of says something. I enjoyed the game, but I guess I just like licensed ones more.

cj_iwakura

It's go time!

2GRgs.jpg

...after more Anarchy Reigns anyway.

cj_iwakura

Okay, pointers anyone? And where's the skill translations? I think I'm gonna need them.

I've only played OG 1 & 2 GBA, if that helps.

Also, what are the scenarios for at the start?

cj_iwakura

Unless I missed it, does someplace show what the prologue character's defensive options meant? (The list of choices upon being attacked)

Unless I missed it, does someplace show what the prologue character's defensive options meant? (The list of choices upon being attacked)

Going off of memory here, so the order may be a tad mixed. Bottom left menu brings up the menu with your primary options.

The first is confirming your option that you want to do incase you're happy with the default choice or whatever.

Under that is the choice for which attack to use if you wish to counter attack. All your options will be there to see, but of course only the attacks you can use will be highlighted.

Next is guard which is exactly as it sounds. You receive no bonus to dodging the attack however you do reduce the damage (if you are hit. The attack can still miss of course)

Finally under this is option is Dodge. This will in most cases reduce the chance to hit by around half. (This is course is provided there aren't extra bonuses or penalties.)

Also, when you start getting into the twin system, you will have an additional option in this menu which is to pick your alternate units counter attack as well. (If at all)

Okay, first menu option covered. Next has to deal with assist attackers/defenders. Namely if you want to include them in your attack, what attack you want them to use and what not. Assist Attack/Defenders will be units who you land adjacent to.

Next option is animation on / off. If you turn it off, you'll still get a brief little scene with the map characters showing damage etc. (For the record you can also skip already loaded scenes if you don't want to watch the rest, or speed them up)

Final Option is, like I suspect you found out by now proceeds with the attack.

cj_iwakura

Okay, I think I'm pretty comfortable with the gameplay so far.

I just got
Kyosuke
on the team, so that means someone else can't be too far off. :D

Question I have is about the post-chapter menu. I figured out which option is for upgrading stats by messing around, but I noticed one leads to skills and seems to be for selecting/unselecting them?

It's been a while since I played OG2, but it seems kind of like that?

Also, is there anything to the story I should be concerned about, beyond 'hey, there's AI!' '...' 'DIE' '!?!?' *BOOM*

cj_iwakura

Here's some pics cause why not.

OG1.jpg

Somehow I find the PS1 style maps charming, you'd think they could've had slightly more budget for those though.

OG2.jpg

OG3.jpg

OG4.jpg

OG5.jpg

OG6.jpg

OG7.jpg

cj_iwakura

What do the last two stats in the upgrade screen mean? (HP/EN/[Armor?]/?/?)

I assume the first is Mobility based on the SRT OG2 GBA menu, but I could be wrong.

Okay, I think I'm pretty comfortable with the gameplay so far.

I just got
Kyosuke
on the team, so that means someone else can't be too far off. :D

Question I have is about the post-chapter menu. I figured out which option is for upgrading stats by messing around, but I noticed one leads to skills and seems to be for selecting/unselecting them?

It's been a while since I played OG2, but it seems kind of like that?

Also, is there anything to the story I should be concerned about, beyond 'hey, there's AI!' '...' 'DIE' '!?!?' *BOOM*

Correct. Your guess is right about the post chapter menu. This is namely for upgrading, shifting unit teams, items etc.

Since you played OG2, I guessing the menu that you saw had some color coded items that you could equip onto the pilots themselves? That's the ability window. Think of it as an item menu but for the actual pilots instead.

Each of the colors corresponds with the type of ability. Like Red is stuff focused on damage, purple is experience and cash gain increases etc. (A lot of the DS SRW games favored this kind of system) but also of course they have the traditional skill point menu where you can increase your stats and pick from a few skills with your hard earned pilot points.

As for the story I can briefly sum the early part of what I've seen you've gone by from the pictures:

Prologue:
Very basic stuff. In the prologue chapter the mysterious boy was being pursued by his captors and doing everything he could to get away. He has a bit of amnesia and would like some answers. He figures all he has to do is get in range of a specific satellite system and maybe he has a chance. His pursuers have a disagreement on how to handle this. One outright wants to kill him, the other wants to understand why he's doing this, willing to risk everything and take him back alive. The boy after getting in range is soon captured and self-destructs. The girl is most surprised at this, wondering why he was willing to go so far.

Stage 1:
Tsugumi and Ibis are out training / gathering data where it's noticeable Ibis seems pretty depressed. Tsugumi then drops the bombshell (mainly to the player) that her fiance Fillio is dead. Having succumb to his terminal illness he didn't get to see his dream realized. Tsugumi explains that it's basically up to them to help realize his dream. Ibis is still depressed and can't really get out of her slump and can't figure why Tsugumi is handling this so far but it's really just a show of determined she is. Alongside them is Raul and company who are out and about promoting their new corporation they decided to do after sticking around following the events of OGS and OGG. And while they don't have the a handy time/space engine anymore.. they do have this really nice new Excellence Rescue unit.

They pick up some units on the radar and get attacked. Ibis and Tsugumi notice they want data so its decided to hold back as not to give it to the enemy and ask the Excellence Rescue not to get involved. However, like to be expected basically say this is a good chance to test their machine, they're friends, etc.

Stage 2:
At this point you got to pick your first route split. As you tell by the cutscene the Hiryu-Kai is taken to another world. The perspective is quickly given the shift to Ryuune/Lune who you may remember. Ryuune got pulled into La Gias (the world that exists inside the Earth's Core) at random and meets Yang Long, the Masoukishin pilot of Granviel. Basically Masaki gets mentioned, and to his surprise Ryuune knows of him and before he can finish some more explanations they get attacked by Divine Crusader remnants. Ryuune quickly pieces together that she obviously wasn't the only one summoned and Granveil goes to fight. Ryuune joins the fight after figuring anyone who pilots a Masou Kishin can't really be a bad guy.

At this point Yang Long explains how bad things are. Basically, the country he's associated with is in a state of emergency, bordering on mass anarchy and riots. They're being invaded by another country. He thinks that there is a man who can end this war and his bet is on him. He also explains that to be pulled her takes a mage of great power and suggests Fiel-lord. Ryuune figures this is the best bet, has a good chance of meeting Masaki along the way and gets to fight. So off they go.

Stage 3:
Very basic stuff. Ryuune meets to her surprise a talking panther who is is a familiar to Yang Long. They attack a nearby base and you met one of the enemy generals, who like every bad guy in this world seems to think they can pull of a miracle and actually defeat a Masou Kishin. Also, enter Kyosuke. He got separated from the group and went on an adventure himself. (A.C.E. R game for PS3) He decides sticking around is the best thing for now.

Extremely brief 4, 5, 6 stuff:
At this point it's really just finding some more of your friends, meeting them, seeing what they're doing and getting the team back together. Also noticing that other people, including more bad guys who have decided doing the mercenary work thing is fine. Yang Long also explains that the reason the Masou Kishin were designed has to due with a prophecy about a very evil god who is going to literally destroy all life. Unlike on Earth where things like that are ignored / never come true etc.. on La Gias prophecies are about guaranteed to come true as they are in a JRPG. Also briefly they mention that people being summoned is quite normal. Like himself, Masaki and other pilots, that they have higher prana levels. (Think like.. ki?) then people native to this world. A few other things are mentioned, but they're spoilers to a previous game, the Masoukishin remake for DS/PSP. Finally, Masaki gets mentioned that he's a bit famous here. (I think they like to bring that up a few times on both routes if I remember right.)

Pretty basic stuff really at this point like I said. You may also want to take a look at the secret unlocks. Nothing's really dramatic or changing like plot wise, just if you want to unlock some extra attacks for some units, and maybe a secret unit. Just one of the secrets you can only do in this beginning stuff.

Whew that was a lot of stuff. But, I always love some SRW.

cj_iwakura

Is there a breakdown of the post-chapter menus? If I can get that down(though I understand the gist of it), I'll be golden.

Also, do the scenarios at the beginning(right before the prologue) mean anything? I chose the first one.

Shouta

Scenarios before the prologue are just a Tutorial and a story mode that covers the events of the previous games.

Ken

Why am I fighting vegetables with eyeballs and bags of goop with chicken legs? Are they basically D. Beasts from SRW Z2?

Jubern

I'm not the only one who thinks Russel's theme is easily the most badass song in all of OG am I?

The joke here is that it's not exactly his theme, but a generic one used by grunts and whatnot lol
I think he's the last guy in the squad who still doesn't have his own theme.

cj_iwakura

The joke here is that it's not exactly his theme, but a generic one used by grunts and whatnot lol
I think he's the last guy in the squad who still doesn't have his own theme.

Weird, makes sense though given how useless he is in a fight. It is an awesome theme though.

That blonde girl in the tanktop, whoever designed her mech needs to be court martialed. Twice.

Jubern

Her father was Bian Zoldark, leader of the Divine Crusaders. He designed the Valsion as some kind of killing machine that kicked ass, you can look it up. His daughter wanted one so he made this custom one (Valsione) for her lol

If I remember correctly Ryuune hated the design of the original machine, so her dad went back to the drawing board and made that one. Guess this is what happens when your dad is one of the most brilliant mech designers in the SRW universe.

Anyway, if you still need a brief write-up of the post chapter menus. Let me know and I'll toss a very brief write-up of it.

I really enjoy Russel's theme as well, but probably not king of BGMs for me. I also really like the other generic BGM Born to Fight I think it's called? Though my personal favorite BGM is Trombe.

Shouta

Bian: Lune, I've made the ultimate robot for our Divine Crusaders! I call it the Valsion! This robot shall be yours my beloved daughter.
Lune: Ew. I am not piloting it even if it is super strong. Make me a cute version of it!
Bian: Cute? Like how cute?
Lune: Cute like me!
Bian: Uh, ok. *coughgonnahavetocrankitupto11cough*
Lune: What was that?
Bian: Oh nothing sweety.

cj_iwakura

If I remember correctly Ryuune hated the design of the original machine, so her dad went back to the drawing board and made that one. Guess this is what happens when your dad is one of the most brilliant mech designers in the SRW universe.

Anyway, if you still need a brief write-up of the post chapter menus. Let me know and I'll toss a very brief write-up of it.

I would very much appreciate it. I'm lost there more than anywhere else, especially where the skills(the red/blue/green plates?) come into play.

At Chapter 8 now.

Got the best battleship captain back!

Here we go~

Order is top to bottom, will give the general purpose for each place. Ordering will go by number and letter. So 2-C will be the second option from the top and the third menu in that option. In the example case it will lead you to the screen where you pick what character is piloting which mecha.

1 - Robot Stuff.

A - Mecha Status screen. Check out stats of each other, see what they have, their full upgrade bonus, terrain bonuses etc. Also you'll see abilities like barriers, HP regens, upgrade bars etc.

B - Mecha Upgrades. Here are your bars for your machines. The very top option above the first listed unit is if you want to upgrade equitable weapons. Also upon maxing out every bar of a mecha you get a custom full upgrade bonus that is unique to that mecha and can choose a special generic upgrade as well such as: Movement +1, a single terrain bonus to an S etc.

C - Mecha Item screen - Equip your items onto your machines. Self explanatory. You also can see the number of equipment slots each mecha has, how many, if any are currently equipped, the type of ship, if they can fly and what number group they belong to.

D - Sell Item Screen - Sell your undesired parts for some cash. For carry-over second play through purposes, it's recommended you sell your 1-time consumable parts that you do not equip for the extra money on other play throughs. The wiki usually lists all of these per game, if not, you can check another game's FAQ and if you have Japanese font enabled can see what what those are. They rarely change much between SRWs.

E - Mode Attachments - Doesn't get much use in this game compared to others, but you equip special parts that change specific units. In this case, you have Geshpent core parts such as shoulder cannons, no attachments. You'll see the the associated stat changes and if you hit triangle you can check out what moves will come with each form (if you move over to the tab). But this game, it just isn't used as much.

F - Weapon Equip - You may have noticed occasional pop-ups giving you announcements of weapons or items collected. There are set of 'generic' weapons that can equipped onto the units themselves. (You probably remember this from OG1/2). Once you pick what unit you want, you'll be taken to the weapon screen and select the very first option at the top. This will allow you to browse equippable weapons. Each machine has a total value if assigned weapons they can use, and some can't equip any at all. After you pick one that interests you, you'll see if it's already on someone or not. Then you can upgrade it as normal.

G - Ability Equip - This is where you can give pilots and mechs some abilities to help them out. Think of it like an item screen but it gives more rounded bonuses. You can get things like +5% melee damage or +1 movement. Works just like equipping things.

H - Ability Search - If you're looking for a unit with a specific ability like "Bunshin" for example. Also at the bottom is the description of it of course, and clicking will take you to units who possess this ability.

2 - Pilot Related. Focuses on stuff related to, obviously pilot stuff. Their personal skills, status etc.

A - Pilot Status. Exactly as it sounds. Check out your pilots individual numbers, seishin, skills etc. Probably don't have to go more detailed then that.

B - Pilot Points. Yum. Time to spend all those hard earned pilot points you got in game. Here you increase your actual stats, increase their own personal terrain status, or buy/upgrade skills. The skill list is pretty small compared to other SRW games and they're not letting you pick some of the more badass ones such as SP Regen (now it has to come naturally). But still. There are some goodies left. B-Save, E-Save etc. You'll also notice that dedicated sub pilots do not have stats and can barely pick from a list of skills at all. Also, if you feel you don't have much PP. Don't worry. This game is a bit more stingy in giving them out. You do get some carry overs on other playthroughs.

C - Mecha Change. Usually this menu is neglected, this is one thing I like about this game. Here you can change what unit a character is piloting. Want Kyosuke in an F-32. well here you go. There are of course some downsides. You can't put anyone in anything, obviously. So no Zengar piloting a Fairlion. And the list of 'spare' machines will be fairly small. Still, they did a good job of letting more machines be open. Compared to the usual extremely restricted in other games.

D - Ability Equip. Like the previous menu, same thing. Just on this screen also.

E - Seishin search. Goes through the list of open seishin (spells) that you have. Can see which pilots have what incase you want something handy. Like that one or two mandatory times you need "Mercy" for a stage in every SRW since SRW Alpha.

3 - Grouping System. Here we go, the twin system stuff. This is where you will make your teams. If on the main screen, under the save/load menus you can see in english the word: NEXT this is also partially related to that. It will tell you the number of groups you can deploy for that stage. Also, any unit in red will be force deployed for story purposes and cannot be modified before battle. (In battle you can use the group command to group up except in rare cases). Also, units have to share some of the same qualities to make specific things work. For instance, if you want your twin unit to fly, both need to be capable of such otherwise they'll be grounded. In instances of say transforming machines. If one can only fly when transformed such as the Art-1 you can fly when you transform it. So it may be beneficial for you to team similar units with each other. Also if units are paired together. They can use their team up attacks at will (provided other requirements are met of course like morale, range etc) but you don't have to worry bout them being adjacent. So that is another option. Like Kyosuke + Excellen for Rampage Ghost if you want. You can also do things like in the case of again transforming machines, select what form they start in. Finally, something to note that is different in the post-chapter menu vs on field deployment is that your choices here are saved, instead of doing it before a battle begins on the map where the choices are just for that fight. Again, it could come up if you see water heavy stages for instance.

4 - Options Menu.
Yep, the options menu. The wiki has the translated parts here, so I don't need to go over it much, but my favorite personal thing here is the ability to change everyone's BGM. So if you like a character, but dislike their theme, have fun. I love this. Here we go, the wiki can help here. http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/OG2nd/Menu_Translations

5 - Save Menu.
A - Save.
B - Load.

6 - Next Stage - You know, going to the next stage.

That should be everything really. Any other ques

Talaysen

Another thing to note about twins is that a twin's movement range is the smaller of the two. Pairing a 7 move with a 5 move leads to a 5 move twin unit, so usually not a good idea.

Also, I thought the full upgrade bonus didn't require the weapon bar to be maxed. Is that true or not?

cj_iwakura

You might want to add the Japanese version of each of the terms so he knows what they look like.

I can figure that much out. I'm not even sure I touched some of that stuff before, so I'll have to after this round.

Is this game easier than OG2, or has it just not ramped up yet? It seems pretty fair so far(almost scarily so).

-neosaint

Neo Member
Another thing to note about twins is that a twin's movement range is the smaller of the two. Pairing a 7 move with a 5 move leads to a 5 move twin unit, so usually not a good idea.

Also, I thought the full upgrade bonus didn't require the weapon bar to be maxed. Is that true or not?

Actually it's averaged, not the smaller of the two.

Shouta

Game is probably more fair than OG2 for the GBA. But I think something was wrong with the stuff under the hood for the GBA games, honestly.

cj_iwakura

Game is probably more fair than OG2 for the GBA. But I think something was wrong with the stuff under the hood for the GBA games, honestly.

I never finished OG2 because I went for Battle Mastery off the start like a moron. Boy was that a bad idea by stage 9.

I don't know, it felt like the calculations in the game were a bit wonky and made it harder than it actually was supposed to be. Kind of like how Supers in D were really bad because armor didn't protect you like it did in other games, just not to that level.

This right here. There seems to be some sort of weighted stuff going on behind the scene. I understand greatly that RNG will be RNG but I always felt each SRW had a bit of a 'comfort' zone that you can notice.

For instance in SRW A when I see a 70% I'm actually going to hesitate and considering getting that up, because while it says 70%, to me it feels like below 40%.

F/F final for instance, after I got hit on a 0% before, I never trusted those numbers again.

This game however.. I see a 70%, I feel it's right. I will hit most of the time, and miss on occasion. Bout what I feel from the number. Where a lot of the older titles and games that were noted for the difficulty are often believed to be due to %'s going on.

To be honest, I'm not a 100% sure. Each game is different. Some require the weapon bar, some don't. I want to say I believe the weapon bar doesn't have to be maxed in this case, though I can't confirm it.

I don't know, it felt like the calculations in the game were a bit wonky and made it harder than it actually was supposed to be. Kind of like how Supers in D were really bad because armor didn't protect you like it did in other games, just not to that level.

Ahh, I think I understand what you mean now. Kind of like how size was messed up in W.

Talaysen

Actually it's averaged, not the smaller of the two.

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that.

As far as I know, the damage formula is the same in the GBA games as in OGs. Same for this game. Just the numbers were not very well balanced in OG2. Bosses would generally one shot most of your units and even the tankier ones almost get one shotted anyway.

For instance in SRW A when I see a 70% I'm actually going to hesitate and considering getting that up, because while it says 70%, to me it feels like below 40%.

F/F final for instance, after I got hit on a 0% before, I never trusted those numbers again.

This game however.. I see a 70%, I feel it's right. I will hit most of the time, and miss on occasion. Bout what I feel from the number. Where a lot of the older titles and games that were noted for the difficulty are often believed to be due to %'s going on.

From what I played of Alpha, I'm convinced its RNG is a cheating jerk.

This is my first time messing around with MSPaint, it's not a good job. But at the suggestion of helping other people out, I figured a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm... content with it for being my first attempt at MSPaint.

Pictures come from my cell phone unfortunately as it's surprisingly hard to find pictures of these menus.

Hopefully also I remember how to get these to size right from the lurking days.

This is the main stuff. I didn't bother adding anything to the NEXT battle stuff. Just it's as I said in the original description. That's how many groups you get. Sorry for the double color change. The text was making it harder and I was feeling a tad lazy.

A tad hard to see at some points, but I did what I could. Tried to make it a bit more amusing to read at least to make up for my inexperience with mspaint. At least I took a better picture in general and it's straight compared to the first one.

Well this is the last one. Wraps up the last menu in a menu. Guess you also get to see who my current top mains our for the route split. Though Ryuune has something like 20+ more kills.. that psychoblaster..

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who been wondering what all this stuff is.

Jubern

Yeah, which surprised me when I finished it for the first time some time ago. Beginning can be a little grating if you aim for every skill point, but otherwise it's ridiculously easy. It doesn't get boring like W though, if we talk about easy SRWs.

OTOH, it has one of my favourite cast. Victory Gundam, Giant Robo, Dancouga, SDF Macross, Gunbuster, Eva... All of those really hit the spot for me, and I can see myself replaying it down the road. Too bad about Giant Robo being dropped and Eva not ending properly (I REALLY need to play Alpha 3 and I actually have the game with me, but no PS2 to play it on...)

I kinda like the feeling how in this game I was surprised by many of my top aces. The exception for me being Josh since I like D. But Rishu just started to wreck house when I expected him to fall behind. My bad. Ryuune I still am amazed by the giant lead she has over everyone. Granted, I like MasouKishin and I wanted to unlock those secrets but I guess she just got too many perfect set-ups for me to exist.

Yeah.. it is weird that how much Alpha 1 I felt the RNG was out to get me but yet the game was still easy. Part of that though I feel cause the battle mastery stuff wasn't that complicated yet and was still pretty basic.. or.. it was cause I had just finished F/F Final and I didn't notice it.

I do however remember Alpha for Dreamcast ramping the difficulty up. Heck, I even remember the dreamcast Alpha version having an a special ending EVA route. I need to grab that out of the closest and play it again.

I don't think there is any SRW easier then W, which is funny cause.. it's one of my favorites just due to the cast in the game. That one was just perfect for me yet other then the hyper easy mode the game is in.

cj_iwakura

Thanks for those images, with that I'm golden, except one thing: the pilot stat list(bought with PP).

Never even saw that before. What are the stats for?

http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/OG2nd/Menu_Translations

Would probably be the stuff listed under pilot statistics table. But spending PP on stat points isn't super important, you are probably better off upgrading one of the terrain stats for pilots.

Bingo. Also, I agree with the choice of option of either raising terrain stats or purchase actual skills in the second tab. Some of those can potentially change change your game as well.

http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/OG2nd/Pilot_Skills

Top Bottom