• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, wait, wait.

It doesn't show up on the attack list as a "MAXIMUM BREAK ATTACK (in some weird color)" like how team up attacks do?

You're just supposed to pick a normal attack and then something will pop up saying Maximum Break?

Because since I never saw a "maximum break" attack on the list, I just figured I was doing something wrong.

Shouta

It shows up in the menu after you choose a normal attack with the option to choose Maximum Break or normal attack.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished the final route split, 6 stages to go now. Story-wise the final mission on the earth route was really weird.

Right before the mission, Altell shows up and tells the captain of the Air Christmas "alright, let's break the seal on this over technology thing we have" and the captain is like "wtf why didn't we use this before"

And then he shows up in the mission and you blow up his ship and he dies in the Gaiou way of "I have made you guys stronger, yay"

But like the ship didn't have any new attacks or abilities; what the hell was the EOT thing they were talking about before the stage?

Hopefully there's more to the story in the last 6 maps. If that was the end of Gaia Sabers...lol, what a weak end. MX villain also had a really weak end considering how long the MX storyline had gone on from OGG through this. Was just like "oh, no, AI can't heal fast enough -> dead x_x"

Ken

Oh, this thread got bumped. Was thinking about picking up my playthrough but FFXIV and Pokemon are stealing my soul. D:

Bebpo

Banned
Man, stage 58/59 with the final boss for SRW D was kind of dragged out. 600k+ on that boss considering his double use of FULL HP RESTORE. Wasn't too tough since I conserved all my SP until the end of the map, but just took like almost 3 hours just to clear that one map. Sometimes they really like to make these maps take a while >_< I already fear the final map of this game. Need to set aside 3-4 hours for that one probably. Oh well, 4 maps to go.

The music change felt good though after the second hp regen iirc. Gave me the GUTS to continue on.

Also Forte Gigas for MVP.

Also for the final stage I just
bum rushed the boss instead of dealing with all the other enemies.

If you're talking about the Hard version of the final stage,
I tried doing it that way, but having like 8 minibosses bully my units killed that idea pretty quickly.

Final map spoilers.

In my game they mostly went after the Hiryu and Kurogane. I had everyone move forward and attack when able. IIRC Yuuzeth's automatic damage every turn was a pain but I managed to heal through it and in some cases just left them damaged if they had lvl 9 Prevail. I also made use of Maximum Break for getting his hp down.

Initially I tried to take things slowly and just destroy everything before taking on Yuuzeth but I just ended up getting whittled down too much with all the enemies plus the map attack.

Bebpo

Banned
I still never, ever, got Maximum Break to work. Never seen it once and I swear I was doing everything correctly. Hope lack of it doesn't make the final boss on the hard route too tough to bring down. I've put support attacks on all my high damage boss killers (SRX & Zengar) so they can keep firing them off with EN refuelers at their side.

Bebpo

Banned
You've never got max break to work? Buh?

I need to run a stream showing you how to do it, lol.

You know, I even watched a youtube video of someone doing it once and mimic'd their setups but the attack option wasn't there. I have NO IDEA. I feel like my game is glitched and won't let me do them.

Isn't it just.
1) Make sure all 4 people involved are in 2 sets of twin teams with 140+ morale
2) Person of the 4 who has leadership skill and a weapon with "F" type is the one who starts the attack and selects the F type attack

MAXIMUM BREAK

But yet...it's never, ever, ever worked for me. Like Violetta has Leadership IIRC and is the example on the box with the SRX team. So Violetta + Ryusei in one map unit, then Rai and Aya in the other twin unit that is adjecent to them. All 4 above 140 morale, then Violetta uses a weapon with properties "F" and it's supposed to start right? Well, it didn't the last time I tested that exact situation.

Kind of annoying because it seems like an extra bit of damage that would be nice for these final HP tank bosses.

Shouta

You know, I even watched a youtube video of someone doing it once and mimic'd their setups but the attack option wasn't there. I have NO IDEA. I feel like my game is glitched and won't let me do them.

Isn't it just.
1) Make sure all 4 people involved are in 2 sets of twin teams with 140+ morale
2) Person of the 4 who has leadership skill and a weapon with "F" type is the one who starts the attack and selects the F type attack

MAXIMUM BREAK

But yet...it's never, ever, ever worked for me. Like Violetta has Leadership IIRC and is the example on the box with the SRX team. So Violetta + Ryusei in one map unit, then Rai and Aya in the other twin unit that is adjecent to them. All 4 above 140 morale, then Violetta uses a weapon with properties "F" and it's supposed to start right? Well, it didn't the last time I tested that exact situation.

Kind of annoying because it seems like an extra bit of damage that would be nice for these final HP tank bosses.

They need to be on the same terrain level too as well, as I recall but it's been awhile. But hrm, it would be weird if it was glitched for you.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, got it to work but still not sure of the parameters. For instance with Kyosuke I went next to a flying twin group and tried using his F weapon and no break. But then I tried going next to Compat Kaiser + Raioh flying twin and it gave me the option.

So is it mainly just used to get extra support attacks per round? Like you have Kyosuke (who is normally pretty weak) sacrifice his turn with some crappy F attack so that he can give SRX or Zengar another attack for the turn?

So is it mainly just used to get extra support attacks per round? Like you have Kyosuke (who is normally pretty weak) sacrifice his turn with some crappy F attack so that he can give SRX or Zengar another attack for the turn?

No? As you don't lose out on a turn since the initial F weapon barrage is followed up by an actual attack. It just makes support attacks easier to set up since the supporting units don't need the skill and it lets you squeeze more damage out of a single attack.

Shouta

Yeah, you have to be on the same level so if you're flying both have to be flying, that's what i figured.

It's mostly another way to do an the classic twin + two support attacks. But you get another extra attack to start and you also don't suffer the support attack penalty, as I recall. I could be wrong on that though.

Bebpo

Banned
No? As you don't lose out on a turn since the initial F weapon barrage is followed up by an actual attack. It just makes support attacks easier to set up since the supporting units don't need the skill and it lets you squeeze more damage out of a single attack.

Yeah, but for the leading unit you're stuck using the F weapon attack. Like for Kyosuke it's his weakest attack at like 2300 damage vs. Rampage Ghost at 6300 damage. So you get the bonus maximum break attack + not using up a support attack from the supporting twin team but you lose having high damage for the lead unit.

Unless I'm missing something. But when I try to change the lead attackers attack in the maximum break it says you can't change attack for lead unit.

Shouta

Yeah, but for the leading unit you're stuck using the F weapon attack. Like for Kyosuke it's his weakest attack at like 2300 damage vs. Rampage Ghost at 6300 damage. So you get the bonus maximum break attack + not using up a support attack from the supporting twin team but you lose having high damage for the lead unit.

Unless I'm missing something. But when I try to change the lead attackers attack in the maximum break it says you can't change attack for lead unit.

I'm pretty sure you can select any attack you want with the leader. I'll check and report back.

Can't you pick any attack when starting Maximum Break? You don't have to pick an F weapon at all, a unit just needs one available to be used. Like how you would equip an F Weapon on Gespenst so you could use Jet Phantom in maximum break with Kai.

Shouta

Yeah. you can use any attack to initiate a Maximum Break. You just have to have an F weapon equipped on the unit to be able to do the MB attack.

1. Meet all the conditions below

- 140 Morale or higher for everyone
- Everyone must be equipped with a weapon that has the F ability
- The units must be twinned up and standing next to another twinned unit
- They must be on the same level of terrain (so earth/earth, sky/sky, space/space)
- They must be in range of the enemy with their F weapon and the attacks you want to use as the follow up. Same goes for Ammo and Energy, must have enough to initiate.
- You can then pick any attack with the leader that has Maximum Break. However over the enemy and hit confirm. Maximum Break should be there and if you select that, then you can choose the attacks the other 3 units do.

Bebpo

Banned
Weird, I just tried it now and it doesn't let me do maximum break with kyosuke unless I pick the F weapon which is his first.

Shouta

Hrm,weird.

I'd need to see screenshots or the game itself to see what's going on. Unless it's a glitch with Kyosuke.

Bebpo

Banned
I went back to my alpha 3 save (map 43) to take a break from 2nd OGs lengthy final maps (at map 62 now, gonna try to clear that tonight and then final map tomorrow since they're about 2-3 hours a piece at this point [sidenote: SRW NEEDS TO STOP HAVING RIDICULOUSLY LONG FINAL STAGES EVERY GAME. well, Z2's final stages actually weren't bad at all, but then again I think Z2 was probably the most quick playing SRW in a long while and the OGs serious just loves to tank up their bosses], and besides Alpha 3's squad system being incredibly confusing to go back to after the twin system and Z2's single unit system (is there even any way to attack multiple enemies besides all attacks/map attacks in alpha 3?)

STORY SPOILER

Uh, is Ing, Cobray? Because they look pretty similar and it would explain how Ing recognizes Crossgates and empire terminology. They also both pilot real robots and since the XXBein isn't a particularly great final unit I can totally seeing him upgrade to the Kaneko-bot from that.

but then again I think Z2 was probably the most quick playing SRW in a long while

I can't believe that. It might be due to my play style but the squad mechanics in Z2 made it far more tedious to clear stages than either alpha 2 or 3. Alpha 3 still ends up being longer of course because it has at least double the number of end game stages.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't believe that. It might be due to my play style but the squad mechanics in Z2 made it far more tedious to clear stages than either alpha 2 or 3. Alpha 3 still ends up being longer of course because it has at least double the number of end game stages.

Z2 doesn't have any squad mechanics....

Bebpo

Banned
Beat it! Yay!

Story was pretty solid. The foreshadowing for Alpha 3 and BEYOND was pretty interesting. The whole "Gottsu" family connection was a neat little tie-in, though doesn't serve much of an actual connection unless in 3rd OGs somebody comes to avenge him.

The story did a good job mixing in the D story with the MX story with the Alpha 2 GunEden story and the OG Gaia Sabers story. Pretty impressive. The LoE story didn't really have much to do with anything and just served as filler for the first 10-15 hours of the game. They really could've done something better with that or just dropped it and had a much better paced game. Game was damn long.

I can see why the game took a while to make. Very large roster of mechs and lots of really detailed attacks. Pretty nice! I hope this means either 3rd OGs has TONS of new mechs (aka, they make near the same amount of new sprites as they did for this; give a chance for some of the older units to get new upgrade mechs ;) ) or hopefully it means they can get 3rd OGs out pretty quick and have it out in 2015 (since 2014 with any luck might be Z3...maybe)

Also absolutely loved the vocal themes for the final bosses. Very, very cool. It's been a while but was the Gun Eden song a remix of the Alpha 2 title theme (can't seem to find it on youtube to check) and I'm guessing the A1W song was a remix of the MX title theme and the D final boss was probably a remix of the D theme? Also the final final boss's end vocal song being an epic remix of 2nd OGs title song was badassssss.

Was interesting that they brought Blond Hat dude and his great dragon into this game. Was kind of lol when you fight him and he just
dies real easily like that
. I'm guessing they'll still bring him back next game with a "haha, didn't really die!" Hopefully next game they introduce more of the chokijins along with him.

So story speculation time!
1. I still think Ing is going to be merged into Cobray. All they have to do is have him be haunted by the ghost of Ingram and his hair turn grey and there you go. Especially since Cobray is the only Alpha 3 lead not introduced yet (with Selena coming into the story with Dark Prison). Plus they have the crossgate in space setup for the opening Cobray scene. I forget, how do they explain the Crossgate getting there in Alpha 3?

2. When the final boss does his IMAGES OF THE PAST final attack. The Dark Gun God is obviously Kaneko mech from @3 since it has the horn and is a gun using mech. Any idea who the other two are? The dark hell god and and dark heaven god I think it was and then the two OLD PEOPLE shadows at the end of the attack. Interesting foreshadowing.

3. Ok, so they make a BIG BIG DEAL about crossgates towards the end of 2nd OGs. It's this huge mystery who made them and for what purpose. In Alpha 3...I thought they were just made by the EVIL EMPIRE as their warp gates. But even the people from the empire didn't really know. I'm I remembering this wrong? Or are they changing it in the OG story so crossgates are created by some mysterious ancient being(s) for a mysterious purpose.

4. Was looking for them to start putting in Z series hints already with the 12 zodiacs and stuff. But didn't notice anything. Guess they'll foreshadow Z storyline next game if it doesn't start in it.

5. So the whole thing about past lives and connected fates...is that going to play into anything or did they just bring that up to look cool for the final battle? Like how Ryuusei remembers these things vaguely like Crossgates and Yuuzus says him and Ryuusei fought many times in past lives.

Any other hints/foreshadowing for stuff beyond 2nd OGs

Bebpo

Banned
And I kind of wonder if past life memory is a way of setting up evil Masaki asakim. Because when Asakim shows up in front of Masaki in another game or two it's gonna get weirddddd.

Shouta

Basically, the idea from the "true ending" that some folks get is that
the OG unvierse is possibly the new karmic iteration of the Alpha universe or some permutation that has had similar characters. The last boss refers to several key characters that were in the Alpha universe but also several others that weren't. He mentions a large number of chars are intertwined by fate regardless of what occurs as well. He engineered the entirety of OG2 to try and ensure that he would win "this time" as I recall, basically implying that he's experienced it before.

Remember that the Cross gates in OG are much more powerful than in Alpha. They can cross dimensions and timelines now as evidenced by Mugen Frontier and the alternate Earth that the Shadow Mirrors appeared from. In fact, it's a huge part of the D storyline that the cross gate connects to the same evil dimension that the D villain comes from so it's a pretty different kind of thing.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I kind of got that about the last boss and I actually really like the story point that he's the big baddy who wants to destroy and create the universe and be a god but he's foiled everytime, so in this outting he tries even harder, but still he's fated to fail. But I still hope the past lives/memories is something they'll play with more in the future. Can lead to interesting things and it might help them fit the Z-verse in better.

Hmmm, I didn't play the Mugen no Frontier games so didn't know how Crossgates play into that. I'm guessing in the original SRW D that wasn't a crossgate Perfectio was coming out of, right?

But ok, so I wasn't going crazy and in Alpha they're just the warp points of the Balmar Empire, but in OG-verse they are interdimensional warp gates that were made by some ancient race. Cool. I'm happy with that because it makes them more interesting and makes the plot more interesting.

And yeah, I started SRW around when W/Alpha 3 came out (only going back 1 game to play Alpha 2 [didn't play MX]), so I never played Alpha 1 and had no idea there was a BIG BADDY behind Ingram and everything and his name was Euzeth Godds. If I did I'd wonder where the hell he was in the OG-verse! So basically 2nd OGs is the true end to finally wrap up OG1 along with all the other stuff. Cool.

Shouta any ideas on the shadow mechs in the final boss attack? And what do you think about my theory that Ing -> Cobray next game?

Shouta

Yeah, I kind of got that about the last boss and I actually really like the story point that he's the big baddy who wants to destroy and create the universe and be a god but he's foiled everytime, so in this outting he tries even harder, but still he's fated to fail. But I still hope the past lives/memories is something they'll play with more in the future. Can lead to interesting things and it might help them fit the Z-verse in better.

Hmmm, I didn't play the Mugen no Frontier games so didn't know how Crossgates play into that. I'm guessing in the original SRW D that wasn't a crossgate Perfectio was coming out of, right?

But ok, so I wasn't going crazy and in Alpha they're just the warp points of the Balmar Empire, but in OG-verse they are interdimensional warp gates that were made by some ancient race. Cool. I'm happy with that because it makes them more interesting and makes the plot more interesting.

And yeah, I started SRW around when W/Alpha 3 came out (only going back 1 game to play Alpha 2 [didn't play MX]), so I never played Alpha 1 and had no idea there was a BIG BADDY behind Ingram and everything and his name was Euzeth Godds. If I did I'd wonder where the hell he was in the OG-verse! So basically 2nd OGs is the true end to finally wrap up OG1 along with all the other stuff. Cool.

Shouta any ideas on the shadow mechs in the final boss attack? And what do you think about my theory that Ing -> Cobray next game?

Silhouettes are
Judecca (Euzeth version). Astraganat, Dis Astraganat, Nashim Gan Eden, Gehel Gan Eden

http://www45.atwiki.jp/2ndsrwog/pages/88.html

That page has a lot of story threads from OGs and 2nd OGs for the next game.

The stakes in OG are far bigger than Alpha is for sure because of the Cross Gates. Last boss explains it to an extent as a recall but it's seriously much bigger in scope than Alpha 3 is.

Next time I play 2nd OGs, I think I'm gonna do a Special Run with certain conditions like X number of units or something similar. Gonna need to think of some conditions to put into a hat to pull out for it when i do.

Bebpo

Banned
Cool, yeah I totally forgot the part
where the final boss tells Masaki that if he remembered his past life memories he wouldn't be able to be who he is right now.

Seems pretty solid confirmation that Masaki used to be Asakim and that some point in the future OG plot he'll remember his past memories and have to fight to retain his Masaki personality. Could see him temporarily become Asakim and do villain stuff for a bit before overcoming the Asakim personality and becoming Masaki again.

Bebpo

Banned
So Korean version of this game is $39.99 on Play-Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/dai-2-ji-s...ns-japanese-versio-paOS-13-49-en-70-6n7p.html

Worth it? I loved OG1 and 2 on GBA, never finished OGG (I guess since it wasn't in English I had a harder time enjoying it though I love the Z series.).

From what I read it seems this game starts slowly and has a heavy focus on LoE stories? Not sure if I want to jump in on it. :x

Yeah, it's a meaty big SRW games. Looks amazing, has tons of stages and lots of cool mechs and attacks and great music too. But yeah, it starts slow.

I thought about it a bit and decided to wait on OGS3. It looks fun and I am sure I will like it but instead hooked my PS2 to my A/V receiver so I can finish Alpha 3 and OGG.

Top Bottom