• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS beating the Vita is the most unjust result in the history of console wars

Kokoloko85

I love my Vita, especially playing PSP and PS1 games too lol.

I hope Sony make a PSP 3.

Use micro Sd cards for there memory so no silly menory card issues.

And just downgrade/ down res games from the PS4/PS5 game library for PS3 like the Switch Is doing for current gen games like Witcher 3.
So owners have access to a large library From the get go and Sony doesnt need to seperate and dedicate teams to make handheld games and console games.

Imagine Bloodborne, Horizon 2, God of War 2018, Persona 5, Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy 16, RDR2 on PSP3. Obviously downgraded, less res, less effects etc.

Like how 2017 Switch got Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild on the Switch. How GTA V is a PS3 game etc but still on current gen consoles. The Tech should be there by 2023 for the PSP3.

The games and memory card were the biggest issues with the Vita

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me he got the Vita. He's having a blast with the God of War collection and old PSP games like SF Alpha 3. Honestly it made me consider it.

Onironauta

Did they? During it's first three years on the market Sony published the following titles, most of them during the Year 1 of the Vita:
  • Escape Plan
  • Freedom Wars
  • Gravity Rush
  • Helldivers
  • Killzone: Mercenary
  • LittleBigPlanet Vita
  • MLB The Show
  • Modnation Racers: Road Trip
  • Motorstorm RC
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Tearaway
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Unit 13
  • Wipeout 2049
And this is without including PS2 titles such as the God of War HD Collection, the Jak and Daxter HD Collection and ICO HD, as well as notable third-party releases like Persona 4: Golden or the non-exclusive but also great Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Truth is that the first batch of first-party Vita games was there. It always has been.
iRtrBOrh.jpg
Sorry for the nitpick, but ICO was never ported to Vita unfortunately

GametimeUK

I think Vita's library is massively underrated. Sure a lot of the games could also be found on PS3, but having them handheld was special.

I think Nintendo had the super highs with games such as Mario 3D Land, Zelda and Fire Emblem, but overall I would actually say the Vita line up was more consistent thanks to a bunch of indie games, the few Sony titles and of course the better multiplatform ports and retro HD collections.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Did they? During it's first three years on the market Sony published the following titles, most of them during the Year 1 of the Vita:
  • Escape Plan
  • Freedom Wars
  • Gravity Rush
  • Helldivers
  • Killzone: Mercenary
  • LittleBigPlanet Vita
  • MLB The Show
  • Modnation Racers: Road Trip
  • Motorstorm RC
  • PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Tearaway
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Unit 13
  • Wipeout 2049
And this is without including PS2 titles such as the God of War HD Collection, the Jak and Daxter HD Collection and ICO HD, as well as notable third-party releases like Persona 4: Golden or the non-exclusive but also great Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Truth is that the first batch of first-party Vita games was there. It always has been.
iRtrBOrh.jpg
I see what you're saying. Sony didn't release any first party games on PS3 or PS4 after the first 3 years either and we see that it was enough to carry those systems. Oh wait that's not what happened.

Last edited:

TheContact

i use my vita almost every night (as a psp/psx emulator). it's a beast for that. the oled screen is beautiful too. it really is a nice piece of hardware especially for the time. this is why i want sony to make another handheld, but do it right this time with lessons they learned from the vita

Animagic

Banned
About a month ago or so I ordered a Vita (slim aqua blue) and a 2DS XL from Japan on Ebay. The 2DS arrived first and I spent about a week playing Chrono Trigger, which is now one of my favorite games of all time. While I was deciding what to play next (basically toggling between Dragon Quest VIII and Radiant Historia), the Vita arrived and I've barely been able to pick up the 2DS since.

The Vita is hands down the best designed portable device I've ever used, and that's including smartphones. Everything about it is perfect, from the size to the build quality and materials to the battery life. The 2DS XL is a total piece of junk next to it, with its 95 ppi (!!!) screen, slippery analog pad, ineffectual Thinkpad camera control nipple, janky resistive touchscreen, and borked ergonomics. Then there's the fact that all the games look like shit - I know the 3DS is supposed to be more powerful than the Wii, so why is it that direct ports of sixth generation and Wii games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Quest VIII look so goddamn awful? The 3DS is so compromised and poorly designed that it's almost shocking these two devices were released at around the same time.

The problem, of course, is that the only good Vita games appear to be a handful of PS2 ports (Persona 4, FFX, MGS2+3) and I guess some indies. I've been using it for PS1 and PSP JRPGs mostly and it feels like it's going totally to waste. A real shame that a handful of idiotic decisions from Sony (proprietary memory, adding to the cost with superfluous cameras and that back touchscreen, no plan for PS2 hardware emulation, no first-party games with appeal to the Japanese market) killed the best-designed handheld system of all time and allowed its thoroughly unworthy rival to run away with all the profits.
The vita was priced absurdly. That’s it.

Animagic

Banned
I hoped they would add a docking feature when you were at home to continue playing your games on the tv, but they didn’t and now the switch exists.

Mabdia

It's so sad that the Vita was beated by 3DS. The portable just have one huge mistake that is the proprietary memory card. It's library is amazing. In some ways better than PS4, to me.

The way i see things, Sony tried and faild over it's stupidity. With Vita 2000 they have the chance to change things. Yet they keep what killed the Vita. If it was designed to use micro SD card i think that the device would sell like water in the desert.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I think 3ds obliterated Vita fair and square. I had a Vita first and enjoyed a few games like Persona 4 Golden, but 3ds offered so much more with a packed fist party line-up, that it would be weird if it lost to the Vita.

In my opinion, Vita is the better emulation machine though with native PSP support, but even that is up to perspective as 3DS can emulate DS and GBA games natively.

Last edited:
I know the 3DS is supposed to be more powerful than the Wii,
It's not. It's actually weaker than gamecube.

Also, Vita was basically a port machine (an inferior one to home consoles) in comparison to 3ds with its exclusives, and BC with the entire DS library. Vita didn't stand a chance in the market. But man, I have to give it credit on the hardware side, oled screen woo! Wonder how those original oled screens are doing in 2021, burn in? Never really heard much about that.

Last edited:
Did no one like the 3ds for its 3d capability? That along with ocarina of time being re-released is what originally sold me on the 3ds, plus the larger screen size with the XL. Then the addition of street pass and spot pass was icing on the cake. I had a lot of fun simply collecting hats and playing the mini games. My fav games were animal crossing, fantasy life, and OoT. Unfortunately I never tried the vita, so no hands-on experience to compare to the 3ds. But the 3d effect was and still is the coolest innovation to a handheld in some time. I loved it

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Did no one like the 3ds for its 3d capability? That along with ocarina of time being re-released is what originally sold me on the 3ds, plus the larger screen size with the XL. Then the addition of street pass and spot pass was icing on the cake. I had a lot of fun simply collecting hats and playing the mini games. My fav games were animal crossing, fantasy life, and OoT. Unfortunately I never tried the vita, so no hands-on experience to compare to the 3ds. But the 3d effect was and still is the coolest innovation to a handheld in some time. I loved it

Love the 3D functionality.

Some games use it masterfully to enhance the gameplay. Mario 3D land being a prime example in that the 3D is used to bypass one of the biggest issues on 3D platformers - depth perception. With the 3D enabled platforming in 3D is a whole lot more intuitive and fluid, taking away a lot of the subconcious guess work you have to do platforming in 3D on a 2D screen.

It also works surprisingly well in other games. There were a couple of maps in FE:Echoes where the battles took place on high areas (like the top floor of a tower) and the 3D really gave a sense of height and vertigo.

Zelda: ALBW is another 1st party title that's geared up to use it to optimal effect.

I think a lot of people got turned off by it on the original models where it was a little less reliable. The "New" models incorporated face tracking and pull off the 3D MUCH better than their predecessors and allow it to be comfortably used for longer periods. It's an incredible effect.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The touch screen and back track pad were the Vitas problem. They were expensive, not necessarily, and unused. Adding to this issue was they cause issues for pstv games which could have been a real hit if marketed differently.

I had 2 Vitas and they were great but the issues above, no internal memory, and really expensive memory cards killed it.

entremet

Nah. Sony's flagship team ignored the thing completely--ND for example. Not so with the 3DS. EAD Tokyo, The Zelda team, all produced games for the 3DS.

And it uses incredibly dumb propierty memory cards, many which are dying in droves.

The Vita was sexy device though.

Last edited:

smbu2000

I think vita is much better system than 3ds but Sony made many mistakes it. From my point of view :
1. Unnecessary gimmicks (two cameras, mic, back panel, gyro) that increased the price, should have kept only the front touch screen. Maybe add vibration instead.
2. Not standard and expensive memory, when digital was going up.
3. Devalue games with too many and high profile games in ps plus, making it less attractive for developers.
4. Wasting resources on mobile and social features.
5. TV output would be nice to have. If it also supported dualshock it would be like switch is now.
The PSP (starting from the 2nd revision, 2000 then later 3000) supported tv-out with a cable. The PSP Go supported tv-out via the dock. The Go also supported using a DS3 controller.

When Sony released the Vita there wasn’t any option for tv-out and you couldn’t connect a dualshock controller to use with the Vita. What was Sony thinking? Unless they just wanted more money from customers by forcing them to buy a PS Vita TV.

It amazes me that dedicated portable gaming devices exist at all let alone thrive in this day and age of cellphones that can do everything and more.
But I can pull my galaxy 3ds xl out of my desk drawer and power it on an play anytime. The Vita always always needs a charge. 3ds is more pick up and play. The vita is all about waiting for loading screens.
Portable device and loading screens should not be said in the same sentence, ever. I agree the 3ds is a better portable device all around.

Fbh

Yeah it's a shame. As a console it was really nice, a good screen to body ratio and a premium feeling build that you just don't get with Nintendo consoles.
I think it might have done better if they simply made it more expensive but with standard microSD cards instead of selling it cheap and trying to recoup profit with shitty proprietary memory cards.

I also think it came out a bit too early. It was going for the "Home console experience one the go" vibe but the hardware wasn't quite there yet.

And they really screwed up with COD. I know it's not a Sony game but if I was them I'd have offered Activision to co develop or cofund the game or just straight up pay for the entire development but making sure it was actually good.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The 3D part of the 3DS was (and still is) amazing. But there's this weird thing where evidently like half the populace can't really perceive well in 3D--because observing carefully the people who turn it off, it becomes apparent that they kind of just see it as a mild but almost imperceptible alteration, which is nothing like what I see. For me, it's categorically as different from a normal screen as TV is from radio.

Carna

Banned
I like both, but the 3DS had fantastic 3D and had a more varied selection of games (and Gravity Rush is one of my favorite games of all time)

My brothers both recently got Vitas. Really nice system, they're having all kinds of fun with it. Games like Gravity Rush and Tearaway look like they're a blast and being able to play PS1 games like Tomba and SotN is a huge plus. In terms of hardware it's a huge step up over the 3DS too. I owned a 3DS, 3DS XL and a New3DS XL and the games looked rough right from the very start. By the end of it's run it was hard to look at. Despite the hardware not being as powerful though, the games were there right up to the end which was so much more important.

CamHostage

... I don’t even think they launched with a monster hunter game or even have one

Vita did eventually have Monster Hunter: Frontier G (one of those online-oriented MH games that were sort of a light ploy to pretend at Xbox 360 support in Japan,) but only in Japan and way too late to be of any interest (if it ever could have been.)

I do remember when Vita was being announced, and also MH Portable 3 was this blockbuster in Japan (still a looker of a game), and it seemed like it was just a matter of time that we would get MHP 3 in the US and a new MH would be announced for the "PSP 2" and the brand would have a big global moment. But then Capcom dragged their feet with MHP 3 outside Japan, and in the meantime MH Portable 3 was for some reason announced as a PS3 game (because it was some kind of big deal that they could take PSP games but with asset packs that made them HD,) then Vita was announced and there was no sign of MH, and meanwhile Wii got a MH... I just got a sinking feeling throughout that the second PlayStation Portable was going to be a different story from the wild success of PSP, and Monster Hunter was going to be the first domino to fall.

And they really screwed up with COD. I know it's not a Sony game but if I was them I'd have offered Activision to co develop or cofund the game or just straight up pay for the entire development but making sure it was actually good.

That was a bad omen too. Supposedly there was a port of one of the CoD Modern Warfares or Black Opses in the works at Vicarious Visions, but it wasn't working out and they swapped quickly to the Declassified "map pack game". It still sold well, but it was clear that even "top-tier portable talent" wasn't going to be supporting Vita, much less any company's best studios.

Sony did do things close-to-right with the method you're talking about when they backed the Borderlands 2 Vita release. It was hinky in performance, sometimes the framerate would just about stop if there was a ton of magic, but other times it ran shockingly well for a portable game of that scale at the time, and it was just exactly the type of thing that's fun to play on a portable instead of grinding on the family's main TV. Too little, too late, but I agree with you that co-pros of key games was a viable idea since Sony couldn't carry the platform itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Vandole

I will always despise the Vita. Sony chose to more or less abandon the Xperia Play right out the gate because of the Vita. Xperia Play was the perfect starting point for cell phone gaming and it never got a chance. And they didn't even stick around to support the Vita. Just Royal screw ups on every front.

I tried so many times to convince myself to get a Vita, due to the fact that it's the only PlayStation I've never owned (PS5 notwithstanding). I couldn't. It has nothing.

3DS though? Packed with classics.
Nothing?
It had a lot of great exclusives that only after it failed (for various reasons) were ported to other platforms. I'm not gonna elaborate on all of them.

Persona 4 Golden: The best game on the system, and a better version of Persona 4 in almost every way.
Gravity Rush/Daze: Great game with one of my favorite protagonists of the last decade. Fun gameplay with amazing art and music.
Killzone Mercenary: Quite possibly the best shooter on a handheld.
Tearaway: Much better then the later PS4 port. Used everything the Vita had to offer.
Uncharted Golden Abyss: While it's not as good as the mainline games, it brought a very similar experience to a handheld.
Wipeout 2048
Soul Sacrifice
Freedom Wars
And on top of exclusives it had access to some of the best games of all time like MGS HD Collection. Access to an amazing library of PSP and PS1 titles. Big amounts of JRPGs and some of the best visual novels of all time like Steins;gate, House in Fata Morgana, and Muv Luv. It was also arguably one of the better ways to play a ton of great indie games released during the two generations.

I get if the library isn't to your liking but it has far from nothing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
never played the Vita, plan on getting one someday, I really want to try out RE Revelations 2 on it. The 3DS didn't do much for me, I had one for a few years and some games were great but the DS library seemed infinitely better. Mostly just used it to play DS games.

Sony had everything to pull a PSP2, but they pulled something else.

The console is good, but the amount of effort post launch that Sony gave to it was, in lack of a better term, disastrous. There was no evergreen period, there was no continued "AAA" for the platform line-up, they totally dropped it into third parties to make it happen with no marketing associated outside Japan as they funnelled all their games to PS4, which was a sound money-making decision but poor in regards to their confidence in the platform.

PSP had GTA, GT Portable, God of War, Monster Hunter games, just to name a few. It's down to a few key titles to keep the momentum there. Reliance on the concept of cross play with "the better PS platform" was also a problem, it's not really a system seller for the entry point hardware just a nice to have that kinda elapses with remote play.

Last edited:

Calverz

Its because sony sent the vita out to die and have a strong history of dropping electronics that dont forecast long term growth.
The proprietary memory card was also a dumb move.
I remember a guy i worked with said he bought one for his son and said it was rhe biggest waste of money ever as his son stopped using it a month later after xmas.

Fbh

That was a bad omen too. Supposedly there was a port of one of the CoD Modern Warfares or Black Opses in the works at Vicarious Visions, but it wasn't working out and they swapped quickly to the Declassified "map pack game". It still sold well, but it was clear that even "top-tier portable talent" wasn't going to be supporting Vita, much less any company's best studios.

Sony did do things close-to-right with the method you're talking about when they backed the Borderlands 2 Vita release. It was hinky in performance, sometimes the framerate would just about stop if there was a ton of magic, but other times it ran shockingly well for a portable game of that scale at the time, and it was just exactly the type of thing that's fun to play on a portable instead of grinding on the family's main TV. Too little, too late, but I agree with you that co-pros of key games was a viable idea since Sony couldn't carry the platform itself.

Yep.
Though with both Borderlands and the initial plan for a COD port I think they were already doing the wrong thing. Vita just wasn't quite there with the power to run proper ports of these games. They should have made new games built from the ground up for it.

Sony should have invested in studios dong what what Capcom is doing with Monster Hunter Rise. Instead of releasing a heavily downgraded, barely functional port of Monster Hunter World, they are making a new game built specifically for the Switch.

Ogbert

It didn't have any games.

I loved the Vita, but it was saved by Indies.

Sony don't know how to support a console when they can't throw their usual first party output at it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
3DS:
- micro SD support so storage becomes cheaper over time
- probably the best VC collection next to the Wii U including Megadrive and SNES games
- multiple revisions and price drops to adapt to a wider audience and fix the initial issues
- massive first party support up to the very end of life
- plenty of games making clever use of the touchscreen and stylus (dungeon crawlers, Layton games, Rythm Heaven and plenty more)
- full hardware compatibility with the enormous DS library.

cireza

Banned
Imagine Bloodborne, Horizon 2, God of War 2018, Persona 5, Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy 16, RDR2 on PSP3. Obviously downgraded, less res, less effects etc.
Can't wait to play these old home console games with an extremely deteriorated experience ! Look at Borderlands 2 on Vita, a great 15fps experience...

Releasing exclusives tailored for handheld gaming makes too much sense (turn based games, RPGs, 2D games, VNs, arcade games etc...).

Last edited:
Top Bottom