• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS beating the Vita is the most unjust result in the history of console wars

How the fuck does this have so many upvotes?? Guy says he knows the 3ds was supposed to be more powerful than the Wii so he's using that as a benchmark for where the graphics should be (and consequently, why they were so disappointing). I bet he thinks his 5 year old smartphone is more powerful than a ps5

Forget the Wii, 3DS games look worse than fucking PS2

Arkam

Not owning a Vita is still one of my biggest regrets in life. Great example of how I let my Nintendo love blind me to a great piece of hardware. That said the Switch feels like everything the Vita was and then some so maybe the timeline worked out.

manzo

If we set aside everything else and just look at hardware, Nintendo should’ve went 3rd party after the Gamecube.

The are pretty much the biggest handbrake in technological advancement for video games.

Every time I buy Nintendo hardware, I feel like I buy the worst possible hardware for the games.

Still we need Nintendo. Without their hardware, the console world would be ruled by Californians. Now that’s a dystopian thought.

The thing that pissed me off is that the OG PSP had more shooters than the Vita... one had an analog stick while the next gen model was perfect for it but not enough.

Daymos

You can't beat the profit power of american children! Go pokemon. 3ds has some great RPGs that would have been better if they were on vita.

I honestly don't know why you guys keep worshiping switch sales on this board, pushing ringfit adventure and animal crossing like the future of gaming is great because Nintendo is driving the bus. I love zelda and I'm all in for breath of the wild 2.. but beyond that I'm starting to raise an eyebrow at Nintendo and read more Xbox information. I'm all like.. hold on here.. with Bioware sucking xbox nearly has a monopoly on western RPGs. Nintendo has a fun park.

Last edited:

zedinen

Free market.

Portable consoles have strong hardware sales and weak software sales.

Weak consumer spending is a barrier to entry, something that prevents third parties entering the market.

So, the portable console market it's a first-party battle, a war you cannot win against Nintendo.

Nintendo is unbeateable in weak markets (eg Japanese market post PS2 era, global portable console market)

The Vita has so many Gems on it that people ignored. I could do an entire Article of the games its got that people will be scrambling for in years to come.

I own a 3DS as well, and it has a lot of great games on it as well, but they won't be as sort after as the Vita stuff.

You have Oreshika, Freedom Wars, VA77-HALLA (which is best on Vita), God Eater 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Nova, Severed, Spelunky, Riddled Corpses Ex (also best on Vita), and Tales of Hearts R.

It may not have won, but the small Vita Community keeps it alive to this day.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
didn't like the vita (loved the PSP). only reason i got one was to remote play ps4 games which turned out to be awful. only game i was interested in playing was Persona 4 Golden but even that wasn't enough to convince me to keep it. great game (been playing it on PS2/Steam) but wasn't gonna keep the vita for one game.

smbu2000

I was a big fan of both the DS and the PSP and I played both of them a lot.
I was expecting the same with the next gen. 3ds and Vita, but I played my 3ds a lot and mainly used the Vita to play PSP games. Vita’s library was definitely lackluster.
I also bought the Vita 64GB memory card, ouch. Super pricey especially compared to the 3ds which had standard (cheap) SD cards.

The propriety charging port on the OLED model also sucked. At least they fixed that by using micro-usb on the 2000 model.
(3ds also had a propriety charging port, but it was the same port that was on the DS lite/DSi so replacements are easy to get a hold of.)

K' Dash

What happened here is that the 3DS had an actual library of fucking awesome games, while Vita was rotting away as a P4G player.

Woopah

If we set aside everything else and just look at hardware, Nintendo should’ve went 3rd party after the Gamecube.

The are pretty much the biggest handbrake in technological advancement for video games.

Every time I buy Nintendo hardware, I feel like I buy the worst possible hardware for the games.

Still we need Nintendo. Without their hardware, the console world would be ruled by Californians. Now that’s a dystopian thought.
On the flipside Nintendo are the ones currently pushing portable hardware much more than the other two.

killatopak

Gold Member
In a perfect timeline, we would have had the Vita hardware with 3DS game library.

Alas exclusives are a thing as well as corporations and capitalisms.

The vita was trash unless you were a weeb
QXbnmu6.gif

manzo

On the flipside Nintendo are the ones currently pushing portable hardware much more than the other two.
Depends how you take it. Nothing would stop allowing phones to have controllers and normal games on them.

Dedicated portable hardware is not needed anymore. It’s just the software landscape that’s not enabling what we want on phones.

Woopah

Depends how you take it. Nothing would stop allowing phones to have controllers and normal games on them.

Dedicated portable hardware is not needed anymore. It’s just the software landscape that’s not enabling what we want on phones.
A phone's inability to play physical software is a major hurdle to it taking over the portable gaming space and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Phones could be pushing portable gaming technology if one of the big players chose to do so, but I don't think any major phone manufacturer is interested in doing this to the same extent that Nintendo is.

Nobody has any incentive to make this happen, though. Sure, you can buy physical controllers of various levels of jank for your smartphone currently, but the average consumer is never going to buy a third party controller off Amazon. This needs to be something straight from Apple, Google, and the major Android OEMs that comes packed in with your phone purchase if it's going to actually see widespread support. Otherwise devs will stick to developing games for touch interfaces because that's what the overwhelming majority of customers are using.

And this works out fine for Apple and Google, the players that control the app stores. It's all the same to them if people are buying microtransactions in shitty mobile games as opposed to full-sized traditional games. They make their cut either way. The traditional gaming platform holders don't have any leverage in the phone space to change this, though I suppose Sony technically still has a phone division and could theoretically release a PSP phone at some point - that wouldn't be enough to influence the broader market, though, and Sony wouldn't want people to be buying games from Google's app store.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Vita was insanely cheap for what it was, it was like 4500CZK = ~200USD here, which I did not understood how can they even produce it like that...

Vita was insanely cheap for what it was, it was like 4500CZK = ~200USD here, which I did not understood how can they even produce it like that...
It's likely it was intended as a loss leader, which works out fine when your system sells hotcakes and everyone is buying games...but when it's a commercial failure...

Edit: Also don't forget that while the Vita itself wasn't that expensive those proprietary memory cards were fucking ludicrous...and not even good. I had a 64GB card for a while but I kept having problems with stuff crashing, corrupting etc. As soon as the door was opened for uSD use I dropped that 64GB card like a sack of shit.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
No. Vita lost because Sony priced it out of competition and didn't ensure enough great games for it. The PSP did as well as it did because of a combination of competitive pricing and great games from many developers. The games for Vita just didn't hit the same as PSP. Nintendo was faster to respond with price cuts and provided games that got more people excited and playing. It also very much helped that the 3DS was backwards compatible with a vast majority of DS titles whereas the Vita was not with the physical PSP games. Also, as others have said, smartphones more or less destroyed the dedicated handheld market. The Vita will sadly go down in history as the first and only failed Sony game platform and there is no one to blame for that but Sony. It had a ton of potential that was wasted.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I’ve long believed that the 3DS was trash and the hardware was something to be merely endured because Nintendo games are fantastic. That low res screen was absolutely terrible. I feel very similarly toward the Wii and how it cheaped out on supporting 720p resolution.

The 3D effect was mostly a gimmick for me and I often turned it off until I got a New 3DS XL. Even then it’s still a novelty more than a “must have” experience.

Really that’s why I love the Switch so much because it’s basically an improved Vita that plays Nintendo games.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Let's compare launch games, shall we?

Vita:
  • Escape Plan (PSN Only)
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
  • Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
  • Little Deviants
  • ModNation Racers: Road Trip
  • Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
  • UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
  • wipEout 2048
  • Army Corps of Hell
  • Asphalt Injection
  • BEN10 GALACTIC RACING
  • Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
  • Dungeon Hunter Alliance
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • F1 2011
  • EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer
  • Lumines Electronic Symphony
  • Michael Jackson The Experience
  • Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only)
  • Rayman Origins
  • Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
  • Tales of Space: Mutant Blobs (PSN Only)
  • Touch My Katamari
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

3DS:
  • Steel Diver
  • nintendogs + cats
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • RIDGE RACER 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
  • SAMURAI WARRIORS: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

2012 was the last time the Vita was competitive.

Agent X

I've got and enjoy both systems. My preference leans more toward the Vita, as I've owned it for much longer, and therefore have a larger library of games for it (including downloadable PSP and PS1 games that I carried over from PSP). I got the 3DS relatively late (2016) and didn't have DS previously.

There are a lot of good posts highlighting the good and bad points of both systems, but there are a few people are just tossing out drive-by posts with broad generalizations. For example, I get that some people never cared for some of the "big" console-style games that were marketed heavily on the Vita early on, but there are a lot of excellent small-scale "pick up and play" games if you know where to look for them--mainly as downloads on the PS Store.

Vita:
- barely any BC, just a selection of PSX and PSP games

The only backward compatibility was with downloadable PSP games, and sadly there were some notable titles that were incompatible. Despite this, there were hundreds of great PSP games available. While not technically "backward compatibility", there were over a hundred downloadable PS1 games as well.

3DS:
- probably the best VC collection next to the Wii U including Megadrive and SNES games

Nah, I'd say the Wii had a much better collection of Virtual Console games than the 3DS.

The 3DS has the advantage of portability, but the Wii had a wider selection of games, derived from a wider range of systems as well, including lots of non-Nintendo systems like Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, NeoGeo, and even Commodore 64. By contrast, the only non-Nintendo system represented on 3DS Virtual Console was Game Gear.

Believe me, I would've loved to see more other systems' games. I might've thrown down some serious cash if they offered Lynx games.

There were no Mega Drive (Genesis) games on 3DS Virtual Console...unless you're referring to the Sega 3D classics, which were very well done.

On that note, though, if you're going to venture outside the realm of the strict "Virtual Console" label and looking at the overall library, then I'd say Vita is vastly better for retro gaming. This is one category where it's not even close...the Vita utterly dominates here, with more games, more platform representation, better emulation, and just flat-out overall higher quality from head to toe.

I think Vita's library is massively underrated. Sure a lot of the games could also be found on PS3, but having them handheld was special.

I think Nintendo had the super highs with games such as Mario 3D Land, Zelda and Fire Emblem, but overall I would actually say the Vita line up was more consistent thanks to a bunch of indie games, the few Sony titles and of course the better multiplatform ports and retro HD collections.

I agree, the Vita library is very underrated in most gaming circles. Most people just look at the retail games, which dried up after three years. It's the downloadable space where the Vita really shines. It's still gotten some quality downloads even during the last year.

I'm not sure if the "retro HD collections" you're referring to are things from PS2/PS3 era like the God of War and Metal Gear Solid collections, or the compilations of games from the 8-bit/16-bit era. I haven't really played much of the former category on the Vita, but for the latter category (8-bit/16-bit stuff), the Vita is an absolute treasure. A lot of these are carryovers from the PSP like Sega Genesis Collection and the two Capcom Classics Collections, but there's also the native Vita release of Atari Flashback Classics which is simply incredible.

Synless

Listen, I loved my vita but god damn the 3ds had a much better library. I love the system, I love the 3D, I love the library. Vita had a chance to be great but they had shitty storage solutions/prices and they didn’t invest in getting developers onboard.

Listen, I loved my vita but god damn the 3ds had a much better library. I love the system, I love the 3D, I love the library. Vita had a chance to be great but they had shitty storage solutions/prices and they didn’t invest in getting developers onboard.
Here are the games I've got for my 3DS:

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quests IV through IX
Radiant Historia
Zelda OoT, MM, and ALttP
Pokémon HeartGold
One or two Mario games I'm never going to play through
Four SMT games I'm never going to play through

Serious question: what else should I get?

I'll take recommendations for Vita as well. I've got the PSP and PS1 games covered, but the only Vita games proper I have are MGS HD, FFX HD, and Persona 4 (plus some indies like Fez, Darkest Dungeon, etc). Oh and I got Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Crown but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be able to get into them.

Last edited:

Synless

From my 3ds library that you hadn’t mentioned:

Bravely Default & 2nd
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Fire Emblem (all of them)
kid icarus
Theatrythm Curtain Call
Kirby Planwe Robobot
Metroid Samus Returns
Monstwr hunter 4
Mario 3D land

im sure I’m missing a few... not including DS games.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Sony killed Vita, not the 3DS. Also in no way that 3DS was more powerful than Wii, where did you get that information

SpiceRacz

I wouldn't call it unjust when you consider how much better the 3DS library is than the Vita's. Still a terrific piece of hardware.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Dreamcast being $199 dollars and having the greatest year 1 in console history is more tragic.

The jump in visual fidelity from N64 to Dreamcast was absurd too.

Last edited:
Let's compare launch games, shall we?

Vita:
  • Escape Plan (PSN Only)
  • Little Deviants
  • wipEout 2048
  • Army Corps of Hell
  • Asphalt Injection
  • BEN10 GALACTIC RACING
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • F1 2011
  • EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer
  • Rayman Origins
  • Touch My Katamari

3DS:
  • Steel Diver
  • nintendogs + cats
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • RIDGE RACER 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants
  • Rayman 3D

2012 was the last time the Vita was competitive.

It was more like:

Vita:
  • Escape Plan (PSN Only)
  • Little Deviants
  • wipEout 2048
  • Army Corps of Hell
  • Asphalt Injection
  • BEN10 GALACTIC RACING
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • F1 2011
  • EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer
  • Rayman Origins
  • Touch My Katamari

3DS:
  • Steel Diver
  • nintendogs + cats
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • RIDGE RACER 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants
  • Rayman 3D
  • The entire physical DS library
Having hardware-level compatibility with the previous handheld should always be the norm in portable consoles. Gameboy games worked in the Game Boy Advance whose games worked in the DS whose games worked in the 3DS. The Switch was the first portable Nintendo made that didn't play the previous system's physical games. Hopefully the the Switch successor will play Switch cartridges.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm just going to say again: the 3D effect in the system is amazing, to the point where I still think the 3DS is a much more entertaining experience to play in handheld mode than the Switch.

killatopak

Gold Member
one thing I absolutely loved the vita for was the resurgence of VN in the traditional gaming space.

It was kinda sad that it was stuck in PC for a while but Vita produced absolute gems in that niche.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Having hardware-level compatibility with the previous handheld should always be the norm in portable consoles.
The reason the Vita didn't do that was the UMD format of the PSP. Having a quasi disc drive for a device on the go is a shitty fucking idea, to begin with, but with the Vita, they either had to scrap it altogether or keep on using it and luckily they made the right decision.

Agent X

The reason the Vita didn't do that was the UMD format of the PSP. Having a quasi disc drive for a device on the go is a shitty fucking idea, to begin with, but with the Vita, they either had to scrap it altogether or keep on using it and luckily they made the right decision.

UMD was certainly a product of its time.

To be honest, back in 2004-2005, it was a good move, in that it ushered in the ability to create much more expansive games with large levels, rich environments, FMV cinematics, and high-quality soundtracks. Essentially, it did for portable gaming what CD did for home console gaming a decade earlier.

Once cartridges evolved enough to provide similar amounts of memory capacity at an affordable price, there was no more need for UMD, along with all of the baggage that a mechanical disc drive brought with it.

Even though they never stated it at the time, I believe Sony foresaw UMD as a transitional format, since they also designed the PSP with the ability to execute games off of its Memory Stick. This, of course, was carried over to the Vita.

At one time, I felt it would have been good for Sony to rerelease a few of the popular (and large capacity) PSP games on Vita cartridges.

I remember when PSP came out and couldn't believe what a total piece of junk the original DS looked like next to it.

Also i never got that comment how DS/3DS had better games than the psp/vita. Sure its preference but when i bought a 3ds xl, all this hype about amazing games, i ended up with the typical Nintendo titles...like not even 10. The rest of DS library was full of trilions of random jrpgs, some quirky puzzle games etc.

Take out mario kart, super mario, kirby, zelda and you are left with 100s of shovelwear titles just to say Nintendos library is bigger.

SScorpio

I'm just going to say again: the 3D effect in the system is amazing, to the point where I still think the 3DS is a much more entertaining experience to play in handheld mode than the Switch.
If you enjoyed 3D on the 3DS that much. I recommend you really think about getting an Oculus Quest 2. It goes from that small window looking into another world, to you being in that world.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If you enjoyed 3D on the 3DS that much. I recommend you really think about getting an Oculus Quest 2. It goes from that small window looking into another world, to you being in that world.

I enjoy VR (don't have a Quest, but I've used a high-end VR setup a number of times and loved it). However, that completely misses the point, confusing two entirely different product purposes that have no overlap--which seems to happen very often on discussions of the 3DS.

A handheld gaming system with a 3D screen serves a set of gaming purposes that have little to nothing in common with a VR helmet. It's not trying to create a VR experience, or even something on the same spectrum as VR--in fact, "immersion" is not a goal here on any level. The point is instead to have a handheld system with all the great benefits of handhelds: snappy controls in your hands, ease of casual play, touchscreen, etc--but which balances the smaller screen by adding depth.

Instead of looking at a flat tablet in your hands like other systems, the screen appears like a small window onto a space behind it, so that something like Ocarina of Time or Kid Icarus becomes a wonderful experience of peering into a little world, but without losing all the convenience of a handheld. Or games like Mario 3D Land and Zelda: Link Between Worlds, which bring an intuitive grasp of the small spaces thanks to the depth effect. It's hard to play Odyssey in handheld mode once I've played 3D Land... everything is so flat, instead of seeing a fully graspable small character running through the small diorama worlds.

It's simply the best product in that space, IMO, and the 3D depth effect is inseparable from the system for me.

Last edited:

Agent X

Also i never got that comment how DS/3DS had better games than the psp/vita. Sure its preference but when i bought a 3ds xl, all this hype about amazing games, i ended up with the typical Nintendo titles...like not even 10. The rest of DS library was full of trilions of random jrpgs, some quirky puzzle games etc.

I was in the same boat, having gotten both PSP and Vita at their respective launches, skipping DS altogether, and not getting a 3DS until a few years after its release.

I do think it comes down to personal preference. Soon after the launches of DS and PSP, the libraries diverged a lot, and games were mostly developed to each system's strengths. The DS got a reputation for small, quirky, and experimental games that utilized the two-screen layout, and especially the touch screen input. The PSP got a reputation for having large games that resembled home console games, except that you could carry them in your pocket. In video game communities such as this one, people who heavily preferred one system usually disparaged the other system's library for having the "wrong" types of games.

The reality is that both systems had a mix of all of these types of games. There were certainly efforts to put complex "console-style" games on the DS, and the PSP did have some small, simple "pick up and play" fare (especially after they introduced the PS Store for downloadable games).

Looking back at the DS library, it's a shame (for me) that I missed out on a lot of its quality games, which have now been out of print for several years. I can get some of them now for bargain prices (thankfully), but there are also many others that are difficult to find and/or command high prices (even used). Even some of the "shovelware" games might have specific appeal to a certain audience...and the PSP had a lot of these games, too. Really, though, I'm grateful that both of those systems were successful enough to get so many great games, and that a fair number of these games can still be obtained and played on 3DS and Vita today.

Agent X

The point is instead to have a handheld system with all the great benefits of handhelds: snappy controls in your hands, ease of casual play, touchscreen, etc--but which balances the smaller screen by adding depth. Instead of looking at a flat tablet in your hands like other systems, the screen appears like a small window onto a space behind it, so that something like Ocarina of Time or Kid Icarus becomes a wonderful experience of peering into a little world, but without losing all the convenience of a handheld.

It's simply the best product in that space, IMO, and the 3D depth effect is inseparable from the system for me.

This sums up the 3DS experience nicely. I can enjoy "observing" the game world without feeling the need to immerse myself in it.

Also, before I got a 3DS for myself, I figured I might only use the 3D feature occasionally, and would keep it turned off most of the time. Boy, I was wrong about that. I rarely turn off the 3D on it.

SScorpio

Instead of looking at a flat tablet in your hands like other systems, the screen appears like a small window onto a space behind it, so that something like Ocarina of Time or Kid Icarus becomes a wonderful experience of peering into a little world, but without losing all the convenience of a handheld. Or games like Mario 3D Land and Zelda: Link Between Worlds, which bring an intuitive grasp of the small spaces thanks to the depth effect. It's hard to play Odyssey in handheld mode once I've played 3D Land... everything is so flat, instead of seeing a fully graspable small character running through the small diorama worlds.

I first was using 3D on a PC before the 3DS came out, and became a big believer in 3D from that.

I do agree that VR isn't a replacement for a handheld experience, but I think it's a game changing experience going from the window to another world to being in it shift. You mention 3D Land to Odyssey being mediocre in handheld mode. Astrobot on the PSVR may be what you're hoping for. I suggested the Quest as many people still haven't tried VR and it's a low point of entry for a great experience. It is a self contained system so it can provide some of the handheld convenience.

I'm also hoping more VR games come out that are like a diorama. My first 3D wow moment was WH40K Dawn of War 2. The lightening on that worked perfectly with 3D and it looked like real actual small figures that were made out of metal.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Here are the games I've got for my 3DS:

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quests IV through IX
Radiant Historia
Zelda OoT, MM, and ALttP
Pokémon HeartGold
One or two Mario games I'm never going to play through
Four SMT games I'm never going to play through

Serious question: what else should I get?

I'll take recommendations for Vita as well. I've got the PSP and PS1 games covered, but the only Vita games proper I have are MGS HD, FFX HD, and Persona 4 (plus some indies like Fez, Darkest Dungeon, etc). Oh and I got Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Crown but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be able to get into them.
Obviously personal choice; Kid Icarus: Uprising, Metroid: Samus Returns, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Luigi’s Mansion 1&2, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Yoshi’s New Island & Yoshi’s Woolly World, Kirby Planet Robobot & Triple Deluxe, Fire Emblem Awakening, Star Fox 64 & Ever Oasis.

If you don’t have a Switch, I’d also recommend; Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Captain Toad, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

The thing is a Pokémon/homebrew machine.

Top Bottom