• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 best video games of the 21st century by The Guardian

Salvatron

Where's Persona?
God Hand?
Gravity Rush?

EDIT: Not gonna lie.. this list has some dope titles.. but it also feels like one of those tier lists JWong drops on his instagram to start some fire.

Last edited:
Lists like this are great. They remind me how many excellent games - across a wide spectrum no less - are available. There's a significant number of games on there that I've never touched and may never have the chance to, but I'm glad that they exist for whomever has had a chance to enjoy them.

Video games have very much achieved what books, music, movies, etc. have in that not only is there something to appeal to (nearly) everyone, but there are also outstanding examples in each category. That's really awesome, especially having grown up along side the medium.

KàIRóS

Not a single JRPG!?

Where's FFX? FFXII? Kingdom Hearts 2? Persona 3, 4, 5? Tales of Symphonia? Phantasy Star Online? Xenoblade Chronicles? Dragon's Dogma? Valkyria Chronicles? Nier: Automata?

What about games that created new genres?

Devil May Cry? Grand Theft Auto 3? Monster Hunter? Prince of Persia? Dynatsy Warriors? DOTA? Mirror's Edge? Heavy Rain? Braid? Overwatch? PUBG?

Games that changed genres?

Tropico? Pikmin? Ikaruga? Rez? Metroid Prime? Jet Set Radio? Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi? Diablo II? Rockband? Splatoon?

Where's freaking Final Fantasy XIV? the second most popular MMO after WoW with more than 16 million players registered!?

Terrible list.

Last edited:
Eh, it's not a terrible list. They've definitely forced some games into it that were revolutionary but don't really pass the test of time. HL2 being the obvious one. That shit was the bee's knees when it came out, but has anyone tried going back to play it now? It's a bore.

ymoc

What I find really interesting is that they managed to not include a single strategy game. Where are Civilization, Heroes of Might And Magic, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires, Anno, XCOM, Settlers, Age of Wonders, Sim City, Theme Hospital, Sacrifice, Total War, Red Alert and that's just from the top of my head.

For shame!

Roberts

A pretty good list and definitely an improvement over that awkward "best films of the 21st century" list they did recently. No list ever is going to please everyone, but no real complaints from me even though my list would look completely different. Also, it's pretty funny to see some of you get all allergic from a mere mention of The Guardian.

klosos

Rubbish list, no Baldurs gate 2, no knights of the Old Republic makes this list laughable.

Seems to me to be a list formed for filthy casuals.

nkarafo

People still care about someone else's favorite games list?

Anyway, this list is missing some of my favorite games (like Metroid Prime) so it's invalid.

Last edited:
It always baffles me when I see Spelunky in lists like these. I tried it and it just seems like an unremarkable Indy platformer/rogue like. What am I missing?

Pallas

Gold Member
Seems like the majority of list is of mass market, well known games, probably why you don’t see any JRPG’s on there, to those wondering why Gravity Rush 2 or Persona 3,4 or 5, etc aren’t on it. It’s a safe list, and a lot of good titles. I don’t agree on the order of some of them though.

I think when FFVII-R part 1 releases, you could probably add it to that list.

Hmm. This list gives me conflicting feelings. The absence of the fat fuck on the top 10 pleases me but Metal Gear Solid fucking FIVE? Grand Theft Auto fucking FOUR?

I'll have whatever they were drinking please.

Pallas

Gold Member
Hmm. This list gives me conflicting feelings. The absence of the fat fuck on the top 10 pleases me but Metal Gear Solid fucking FIVE? Grand Theft Auto fucking FOUR?

I'll have whatever they were drinking please.
Would have to agree about both of those games by the way. I mean them on the list in particular isnt the main problem but there were better games this century of their respectable series.

GTA: San Andreas
MGS3

I’d say both them were better than GTAIV and MGS5, when it came to enjoyment, story and even gameplay.

Dada55000

Would have to agree about both of those games by the way. I mean them on the list in particular isnt the main problem but there were better games this century of their respectable series.

GTA: San Andreas
MGS3

I’d say both them were better than GTAIV and MGS5, when it came to enjoyment, story and even gameplay.
San Andreas held up mildly better than the other PS2 GTA's, which is still poor. Going back is even rougher than I thought it would be. Like, GTA4 was the first game in the series to not have terrible gunplay.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Does gaf have worst taste than The Guardian? FIND OUT!

50. SingStar (2004) - what?
49. Katamari Damacy (2004) - don't know this series
48. Journey (2012) - people seemed to like this, still haven't tried it
47. Dead Space (2008) - potentially my favorite horror game
46. Limbo (2010) - it's fine
45. Papers, Please (2013) - certainly unique!
44. Forza Horizon (2012) - racing sims are bleh
43. Rocket League (2015) - don't get the hype here
42. Burnout 3: Takedown (2004) - prefer Revenge but glad Burnout gets a spot
41. Overwatch (2016) - it's FINE, not as great as people make out
40. Gears of War 2 (2008) - where the series began to go wrong with so much bullshit artificial difficulty spikes and terrible cinematic bs that was egregiously bad on the insane difficulty, in the first gears co-oping on insane simply meant being good at a shooter besides that one bat swarm sequence, in this one it meant avoiding random bullshit during lame ass cinematic set pieces
39. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (2000) - don't play these
38. Super Smash Bros Melee (2001) - these are fine
37. Silent Hill 2 (2001) - i can tell it's great but the obtuse design has kept me from finishing
36. Spelunky (2008) - it's entertaining
35. Assassin’s Creed 2 (2009) - a step up from one but a few steps below Black Flag
34. Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009) - awesome game, agreed
33. Battlefield 1942 (2002) - series got better later
32. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) - liked Modern Warfare 2 better for campaign and World at War better for MP, but this was a big deal
31. God of War (2018) - Yes, excellent game
30. Shadow of the Colossus (2005) - tried it once as a rental and it didn't click with me
29. Deus Ex (2000) - should be near the top
28. Wii Sports (2006) - lol
27. Guitar Hero (2005) - the original? why? it gets so much better later with games like Warriors of Rock, 3, Metallica, etc., also inferior to the Rock Band franchise
26. Left 4 Dead (2008) - it was fun at the time but hasn't aged well
25. Ico (2001) - never tried this
24. The Last of Us (2013) - a masterpiece
23. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (2000) - one of the Zelda games I never played
22. Mario Kart 8 (2014) - I liked this franchise as a kid but it's totally lost my interest as an adult
21. Mass Effect 2 (2010) - great game
20. Fortnite (2017) - lolololololol, i mean i guess it has to be on the list but still
19. Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) - awesome game
18. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018) - masterpiece
17. The Sims (2000) - i get it's hard not to put on these lists but man i don't care
16. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009) - yeah this was the game changer, i think 4 improved on everything in it, tho
15. Resident Evil 4 (2005) - yep, still a classic
14. Super Mario Odyssey (2017) - no switch yet =/
13. World of Warcraft (2004) - boring
12. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015) - the best MGS because they let gameplay be king
11. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) - i don't got as nuts for this but i did sink over 100 hours into it so kudos
10. Bloodborne (2015) - should be number 1
9. BioShock (2007) - masterpiece
8. Portal 2 (2011) - it's a neat game I moved on from immediately after beating
7. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) - man, what an amazing game
6. Grand Theft Auto V (2013) - the best GTA
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) - remarkable game
4. Half-Life 2 (2004) - good placement for this masterpiece!
3. Dark Souls (2011) - deserves to be so high even if I'd put Bloodborne above it
2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - no switch =/
1. Minecraft (2009) - lololololol did Pewdiepie make this list?

Last edited:

TheHTIC

Neo Member
I loved God of War more than God of War '18, liked Arkham City better than Asylum and Liked San Andreas better than IV

Bryank75

Banned
I agree:

Minecraft (2009)
Dark Souls (2011)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Ico (2001)
Deus Ex (2000)
Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
Silent Hill 2 (2001)
Dead Space (2008)

Great game but not top 50 for me:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
BioShock (2007)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
Mario Kart 8 (2014)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (2000)
The Last of Us (2013)
Guitar Hero (2005)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
Spelunky (2008)
Rocket League (2015)

Disagree:

Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
God of War (2018)
Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (2000)
Papers, Please (2013) (No, lol.)
Limbo (2010)
Journey (2012)
Katamari Damacy (2004) (enjoyed, but no.)

Haven't played the others.

There, now I have an opinion too.

So basically every PlayStation exclusive out of the top 50? How fair of you....

The list is trash.... The Guardian should be banned from publishing anything about games ever again, that is how bad this stupid list is.
The fact that they have RDR2 up there and no RDR is criminal in and of itself.

Shadow of the Colossus shits on BOTW in every possible way and it is insulting to gaming to have Minecraft at number 1..... they might as well have put Angry Birds or Farmville.

No Mario Galaxy either...you fn jokeing?

MGSV is the worst of the series, what idiot made this list?

Last edited:

The list is trash.... The Guardian should be banned from publishing anything about games ever again, that is how bad this stupid list is.
The fact that they have RDR2 up there and no RDR is criminal in and of itself.

Shadow of the Colossus shits on BOTW in every possible way and it is insulting to gaming to have Minecraft at number 1..... they might as well have put Angry Birds or Farmville.

MGSV is the worst of the series, what idiot made this list?

To be fair they were clearly doing one game per franchise and RDR 2 kinda obliterates 1. SotC shitting on BotW doesn't sound like a sentiment everyone agrees on. MGSV is my favorite entry, personally, it still had all the dumb convoluted story stuff but it also had the most gameplay and freedom of any entry.

Bryank75

Banned
To be fair they were clearly doing one game per franchise and RDR 2 kinda obliterates 1. SotC shitting on BotW doesn't sound like a sentiment everyone agrees on. MGSV is my favorite entry, personally, it still had all the dumb convoluted story stuff but it also had the most gameplay and freedom of any entry.
RDR had a better story, better pacing and was the first game to do anything really amazing in a western setting in an open world.

You're not even Snake in MGSV, so it's not even a real MGS.

SotC innovated far more long before BOTW, it's art style, solitary world and story put it far far above BOTW IMO.

Anyway, it's needless to argue as the list is just really awful and changing a handful of games will not fix it.

Trash peddlers like The Guardian would have gaming ruined. Corporate shills.. probably a paid article from Microsoft.

Fair of me? I like what I like, lol. I gave no thought to how things were divided. Why would I?

Over the years I've gamed on all platforms -MS/Sony/Ninty/PC.

My only bias is to good games. (As I see them.)

Bryank75

Banned
Fair of me? I like what I like, lol. I gave no thought to how things were divided. Why would I?

Over the years I've gamed on all platforms -MS/Sony/Ninty/PC.

My only bias is to good games. (As I see them.)
Probably everyone here has gamed on systems by all three... so you're really not saying anything.

I started on Nes. I was on PC around 1999 till around 2003/4 and played some of the best PC games ever like Homeworld, Ground Control, C&C games, Jagged Alliance etc. None of which seem to be on this list....

I was on 360, PS3, Wii, DS and now PS4 and Switch. Just for the record.

RDR had a better story, better pacing and was the first game to do anything really amazing in a western setting in an open world.

You're not even Snake in MGSV, so it's not even a real MGS.

SotC innovated far more long before BOTW, it's art style, solitary world and story put it far far above BOTW IMO.

Anyway, it's needless to argue as the list is just really awful and changing a handful of games will not fix it.

Trash peddlers like The Guardian would have gaming ruined. Corporate shills.. probably a paid article from Microsoft.

Man, I didn't finish MGS V that sounds like a spoiler? It also sounds like a sort of weak fanboy complaint like how people think Friday the 13th part V was bad because it's not Jason at the end, like who cares, you thought it was him until then didn't you? Not really being an MGS game barely means anything to me, a lot of MGS fans like 2 best where you mostly play as Raiden and
technically it's all a sim anyways
. MGS 3 also gets a lot of credit, for sure and I could totally see an outlet picking it over V but I wouldn't, MGS V wasn't far off from a CoD game to me, it was cinematic and trying harder to be like a movie than a game, a helluva entertaining ride and superior to any CoD campaign but it's still what it is. It doesn't give many very interesting play grounds to experiment in, V is all awesome play ground to experiment in.

There's a lot of people who consider BotW best game of all time is the thing, though, I don't know which innovated when and what, I wasn't speaking for my opinion, really, just a more general consensus.

I honestly am not a big fan of the list but I take issue with your specific gripes is all.

Bryank75

Banned
Inside by Playdead should have made the list.
Hav
Man, I didn't finish MGS V that sounds like a spoiler? It also sounds like a sort of weak fanboy complaint like how people think Friday the 13th part V was bad because it's not Jason at the end, like who cares, you thought it was him until then didn't you? Not really being an MGS game barely means anything to me, a lot of MGS fans like 2 best where you mostly play as Raiden and
technically it's all a sim anyways
. MGS 3 also gets a lot of credit, for sure and I could totally see an outlet picking it over V but I wouldn't, MGS V wasn't far off from a CoD game to me, it was cinematic and trying harder to be like a movie than a game, a helluva entertaining ride and superior to any CoD campaign but it's still what it is. It doesn't give many very interesting play grounds to experiment in, V is all awesome play ground to experiment in.

There's a lot of people who consider BotW best game of all time is the thing, though, I don't know which innovated when and what, I wasn't speaking for my opinion, really, just a more general consensus.

I honestly am not a big fan of the list but I take issue with your specific gripes is all.

It's obvious that it's not him. You just need to look at his face. There is one thing that he doesn't have that Snake always does.
He also smokes fake cigars.... and wears his hair in a ponytail. He also wears a patch with three straps vs BB 2 strap version.

Last edited:
Hav

It's obvious that it's not him. You just need to look at his face. There is one thing that he doesn't have that Snake always does.
He also smokes fake cigars.... and wears his hair in a ponytail. He also wears a patch with three straps vs BB 2 strap version.

Yeah, uh... maybe I'm not as big of a turbo fan as you are? Like I liked part 3, part 4 I thought was good in spurts but mostly convoluted and boring and 1 and 2 I never finished so... I'm at over 130 hours in V but haven't reached this plot twist =/

brian0057

Banned
What in the unholy hell is up with this list?

Bioshock instead of System Shock?
Skyrim above Deus Ex?
Grand Theft Auto IV instead of San Andreas?
Metal Gear instead of Thief?
Bloodborne above Silent Hill 2?

Fuck everything about this list and whoever wrote it.

Probably everyone here has gamed on systems by all three... so you're really not saying anything.

I started on Nes. I was on PC around 1999 till around 2003/4 and played some of the best PC games ever like Homeworld, Ground Control, C&C games, Jagged Alliance etc. None of which seem to be on this list....

I was on 360, PS3, Wii, DS and now PS4 and Switch. Just for the record.

My point was that I don't think it makes sense to expect a personal list to be "fair". Everyone's preferences are going to obviously favor what they enjoy. The list I originally made reflected that. That's all.

I feel no obligation to acknowledge acclaimed things I don't enjoy as "good" things to me personally. They are surely good to some, but that's got nothing to do with my own opinions.

I don't have much of an opinion really. There a lot of good games on the list, including some heavy hitters, and that works for me. No one should be outraged because their favorite niche game isn't included. In the end it's just a list and it could have been a lot worse. For me, Halo CE made the top ten and that makes me happy. I love that Mario Kart 8 is there. It's so good and truly the best of all the Mario Kart's in my personal opinion. I wonder if they has simply listed game franchises instead of specific games if people would have been happier? That would have made more room for a couple more games too.

Ceadeus

BotW gets so much attention for a game that is lacking in so many aspect :O

It's a good game though but 2nd best game of the 21th century? Damn...

sircaw

Banned
No Doom, No Quake, No diablo 2, no red alert.
let me just double check, that can't be right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom