• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 best video games of the 21st century by The Guardian

Gargus

Banned
They should have titled it "the 50 best video games of the 21st century that are popular and are exactly what you'd expect so we make sure we check all the generic and expected boxes. But wait we will throw in 2 or 3 non super well known games randomly so we dont look like we just created a mindless list."

Z..

Some weird choices here... most strikingly, picking Mario Odyssey over the Galaxy games (I love Odyssey, but come on) and picking MGS5 over 3/2. Actually, that seems to be a recurring problem when it comes to this list, picking the wrong game from the right series (GTA IV over San Andreas or Vice City is completely ridiculous, for example).
At least Silent Hill 2 made the list, suppose it could be worse.

Some games on the list are actually from the 20th Century (the year 2000 is not a part of the 21st century, this isn't something that is up for debate, it's a fact), too.

I don't understand Burnout 3

You don't understand one of the most beloved and acclaimed arcade racing games ever made being on the list? What's so surprising about it, I'm not sure I get what you mean...

Last edited:
Some weird choices here... most strikingly, picking Mario Odyssey over the Galaxy games (I love Odyssey, but come on) and picking MGS5 over 3/2. Actually, that seems to be a recurring problem when it comes to this list, picking the wrong game from the right series (GTA IV over San Andreas or Vice City is completely ridiculous, for example).

Some games on the list are actually from the 20th Century (the year 2000 is not a part of the 21st century, this isn't something that is up for debate, it's a fact), too.

You don't understand one of the most beloved and acclaimed arcade racing games ever made being on the list? What's so surprising about it, I'm not sure I get what you mean...
Since you're not able to understand my very basic comment, I'll break it down for you. Burnout 3 is a cool game. It's not one of the best games from the 21st century. That's retarded as fuck.

zenspider

Where's PC? No Dwarf Fortress, no Farming or Truck Sims.... no League of fucking Legends?

No mobile? Deep cuts like Downwell, pop hits like Monument Valley, or worldwide deranging phenomenons like Pokemon GO!?

Where's Japan? Splatoon, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, or Granblue Fantasy?

Where's VR? Beat Saber, Astrobot, or Superhot?

This list is the guy from the store telling your grandma what games to buy. Casual-core LCD bets.

No, The Guardian is thrash and full of diversity hires with far left moronic takes. Think of them as the Kotaku of news media

This list is right down the middle of Main Street though.
This is the list you'd write if you never played a game in your life, but read all the "greatest" lists from mainstream press outlets.

At least Kotaku would have thrown some daddy dating sim or a failed Kickstarter project in to stir shit.

Last edited:

zenspider

Yeah, I was expecting some zoomer shit so it is better than I expected. Though that's not saying much.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw that they put Wii sports above Deus Ex.
Bring the guillotine.

If Wii Sports isn't in your top five greatest games of the century, you're just listing games you like.

Last edited:

Z..

Since you're not able to understand my very basic comment, I'll break it down for you. Burnout 3 is a cool game. It's not one of the best games from the 21st century. That's retarded as fuck.
I strongly disagree. It's an amazing game and arguably the best game in it's genre released in the 21st century (it's either B3 or F-Zero GX... maybe one of the Forza Horizon games, depending on your definition of "arcade racer"). It absolutely deserves a spot. It's not even unexpected or surprising in the slightest to see such a widely beloved game on the list, let alone "retarded".

Loving the condescending tone coming from a GTA 4 fan using retarded as an adjactive, by the way... too good.

I strongly disagree. It's an amazing game and arguably the best game in it's genre released in the 21st century (it's either B3 or F-Zero GX... maybe one of the Forza Horizon games, depending on your definition of "arcade racer"). It absolutely deserves a spot. It's not even unexpected or surprising in the slightest to see such a widely beloved game on the list, let alone "retarded".

Loving the condescending tone coming from a GTA 4 fan using retarded as an adjactive, by the way... too good.
Come on man, I responded to you in the EXACT same tone you used with me. You found it seemingly impossible to understand that I believe Burnout 3 has no place on this list. Get a grip. Also, do you have a problem with the word retarded? Hahahah

ROMhack

A pretty good list and definitely an improvement over that awkward "best films of the 21st century" list they did recently. No list ever is going to please everyone, but no real complaints from me even though my list would look completely different. Also, it's pretty funny to see some of you get all allergic from a mere mention of The Guardian.

My personal issue isn't that it's bad, but that it's safe and honestly kinda boring. I think it might be due to the audiences though, film fans will disagree but mostly courteously. Videogame fans would seek to remove the website off the face of the planet if a particular game wasn't mentioned (probably).

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

I guess it's okay for a mainstream list. Don't really agree with any of the positions. Also, Minecraft and Fortnite are just pure cancer.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid 2 should have been there.

ROMhack

Honestly, it can probably be explained by the fact that most of the Guardian's game's staff are freelance writers under 25.

P.s. I don't know if this is true but it feels like it.

Last edited:

Ascend

Ok... Let's make some categories, without taking orders into account.

Games I have not played or not played long enough and thus cannot judge;
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Bloodborne (2015)
Dark Souls (2011)
Dead Space (2008)
Deus Ex (2000)
Fortnite (2017)
Gears of War 2 (2008)
God of War (2018)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Guitar Hero (2005)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Ico (2001)
Journey (2012)
Katamari Damacy (2004)
Left 4 Dead (2008)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Limbo (2010
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015)
Minecraft (2009)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
Silent Hill 2 (2001)
SingStar (2004)
Spelunky (2008)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (2000)
The Sims (2000)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (2000)
Wii Sports (2006)
World of Warcraft (2004)

Games I played and deserve to be on the list;
Assassin’s Creed 2 (2009)
BioShock (2007)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
Forza Horizon (2012)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Mario Kart 8 (2014)
Mass Effect 2 (2010)
Overwatch (2016)
Papers, Please (2013)
Portal 2 (2011)
Rocket League (2015)
The Last of Us (2013)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)

Games I played and don't deserve to be on the list;
Burnout 3: Takedown (2004)

Games I think should or could be on the list but aren't;
I don't do the one game per franchise thing. I leave that up to you. And I didn't count, so this can exceed 50 in total
9Dragons (2007)
Age of Mythology (2002)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)
Beyond Good & Evil (2003)
Blur (2010)
Civilization V (2010)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
Doritos Crash Course (2010)
Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (2018)
F.E.A.R. (2005)
Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy (2005)
For Honor (2017)
Forza Horizon 4 (2018)
Gears of War (2006)
GunZ: The Duel (2003)
Halo 3 (2007)
Halo 3: ODST (2009)
Halo Reach (2010)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (2017)
Jade Empire (2005)
Kung Fu Chaos (2003)
KwonHo (2007)
Life Is Strange (2015)
Life Is Strange: Before The Storm (2017)
Life Is Strange 2 (2018)
Lost Odyssey (2007)
Mass Effect 3 (2012)
Mass Effect (2007)
Mirror's Edge (2008)
N+ (2008)
Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (2000)
Need for Speed Underground (2003)
Need for Speed Underground 2 (2004)
Ninja Gaiden Black (2005)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (2014)
Pokemon Black/White (2010)
Pokemon Conquest (2012)
Pokemon Crystal (2000)
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (2009)
Pokemon Platinum (2008)
Portal (2007)
Prey (2006)
Project Gotham Racing 4 (2007)
Road Redemption (2017)
Rocksmith 2014 (2013)
Silkroad Online (2005)
Spec Ops: The Line (2012)
Super Monkey Ball (2001)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
The Walking Dead (2012)
The Walking Dead Season 2 (2013)
Tomb Raider (2013)
Trials HD (2009)
Ultra Street Fighter IV (2014)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007)
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (2012)

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
No Age of Empires II? Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3 should be listed instead of MGSV. Seriously, some games here don't appeal to me at all, but are something else, unique enough, or defined a whole new generation of titles and gamers to be portrayed in this list (sees minecraft and fortnite).

Neff

Last edited:
This list almost seems more like the most influential games of the century rather than the “best” games of the century. Plus, there is a wide selection of genres represented here, so clearly, they were doing their best to cover a broad spectrum. But that means that some really amazing games were never going to make this list. I think it would have been better if they did multiple lists, i.e. “best open world” “best FPS,” etc.

I’m glad they put BioShock in here, and I can see why they chose the first game, since it was so groundbreaking. But I see BioShock 2 as being roughly on the same level with it (better in some respects, not as good in others perhaps). And to me, BioShock Infinite is a much more amazing game than either, and it’s nowhere to be found here.

I’m also not surprised to see Skyrim listed. Does it deserve to be here? Probably. But I think Fallout: New Vegas is a stronger game in terms of richness of story and factions and well-developed companions. But I figure they were like, “We need to put one Bethesda open world game in here, which do we choose?” So naturally they went with the one that had the biggest impact.

But there is no way they were going to be able to list every great game, so …

Deft Beck

For everyone puzzled about Singstar, it's the most popular karaoke game series in Europe since the PS2 days. No surprise that Eurogamer would acknowledge its importance, even in just the casual games sphere.

Top Bottom