• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

me0wish

You can wait a month or two and find out once mine arrive. Otherwise it seems like it will fit in the snes controllers, not 100% sure on the pro. Like all things, I don't expect a bigger battery to just fit in with no modifications required.
Looking forward to your feedback :D

I have the SNES30, and it's fine. Wii mode and Wii U mode were a bit awkward, and have some input lag, but every other mode is fine. The D-Pad is slightly stiffer than a real controller, but that's about it. Battery life is still fantastic here after several months of ownership.

That's great to hear, but isn't the d-pad stiff because it's new compared to the old SNES controllers?

Sophia

That's great to hear, but isn't the d-pad stiff because it's new compared to the old SNES controllers?

No doubt. The ones on my real SNES are like almost 30 years old by now. =P

My SNES30 is my goto gamepad for 2D games, to say the least. And will stay that way until 8bitdo makes a Genesis or Sega Saturn clone controller. >_>;

FreelanceP

Neo Member
Well looks like my sfc30 battery has gone as well. Don't get more than an hour. The NES 30 pro by comparison is much better.

Did anyone have any luck swapping out the battery? Looks like it should be a simple solder job.

Miker

I got a SFC30 controller thanks to this thread, and I love it. Except that I was kinda annoyed that 360/XInput mode didn't work for bluetooth modes. I'd much rather be cordless; but games work much, much better with it. (Also I couldn't get it to work on USB either; apparently they removed it to make space for Wii mode.)

So I wrote a simple app that takes the input and emulates a 360/XInput controller. I've only tried it on Downwell and Shovel Knight, but it works great! Also has a higher compatibility as you can swap between the arrows working on the d-pad or left stick depending on how the game originally worked. And as a bonus: you can swap between using the buttons as labeled, or swapping A/B and X/Y so that the physical layout is the same as the 360's. (Thus remapping B to be on the right instead of the bottom.)

Just open and leave minimized in the background.

https://github.com/ROFISH/FC30XInput/releases

(For Bluetooth, use the hidden START+R mode for full joystick, the default START only method puts the control pad as keyboard arrows, which is annoying and can't capture.)

Does anybody get high CPU usage (~35%) with this program? It's perfect, but it's also causing some frame drops in some games.

me0wish

No doubt. The ones on my real SNES are like almost 30 years old by now. =P

My SNES30 is my goto gamepad for 2D games, to say the least. And will stay that way until 8bitdo makes a Genesis or Sega Saturn clone controller. >_>;
I've been curious about Genesis controllers for a while, but the USB ones seem terrible, so I'm leaning towards this.

If SNES30 turns out to be disappointing, I'll either mod my current SNES controllers or use Mayflash, hopefully it won't suck :p

Well looks like my sfc30 battery has gone as well. Don't get more than an hour. The NES 30 pro by comparison is much better.

Did anyone have any luck swapping out the battery? Looks like it should be a simple solder job.

Check the last half of the previous page, we were discussing it, and I plan to do it at some point if the batteries aren't good enough.

I've been curious about Genesis controllers for a while, but the USB ones seem terrible, so I'm leaning towards this.
I have something similar but mines is a cable rather than box. This one: Retro-Link Controller to PC USB Adapter for Genesis - Dual Port https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KL7BNK8/

It's one quirk is that it reports both ports as the same name on Mac OS X so software needs to be written well to support it. There's a workaround on Linux and the issue may not happen on Windows.

The bonus is that this adapter also supports old Amiga & Atari joysticks.

Just got mine and it's very good. Really happy with it.

One question though, there's some accessories: on is a keyring, but what is this thing?

rRwNY0y.jpg

ae29c3T.jpg

So I have a quick question about this thing...

I know that this has iCade support on iOS, but I was wondering if it's possible (on a jailbroken iOS device) to use the Blutrol app and have it work on other games as well.

I looked up Blutrol and saw that it supports both iCade and bluetooth keyboards, so I assume setting this controller to either of those modes would allow you to set it up with Blutrol and get it working on whatever game you want, right?

I know that this has iCade support on iOS, but I was wondering if it's possible (on a jailbroken iOS device) to use the Blutrol app and have it work on other games as well.

I looked up Blutrol and saw that it supports both iCade and bluetooth keyboards, so I assume setting this controller to either of those modes would allow you to set it up with Blutrol and get it working on whatever game you want, right?
Probably. Try it?

Probably. Try it?
Need to buy one first, haha. :)
Im also waiting for the iOS 9.1 jailbreak to be a little more stable before I go through with it.

Im fairly confident that it would work after I looked into it enough. This really does seem like a really awesome controller and I probably will go ahead and order one off of Amazon.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Yeah, works with blutrol in iCade mode.

naitosan

Recently got 8bitdo NES30 Pro gamepad to pair with Surface Pro 4. It's awesome so far, only thing it doesn't get recognized in RetroArch via wireless mode so only USB mode works. Future RetroArch build will more likely support wireless mode.

Highly recommended because of comfort, portable and excellent battery life.

Minions

SNES pad arrived. Battery is a 3.7v 480mah 1.78wh battery. Will see if those replacement batteries fit without mods.

Based on checking it out, it looks like the battery will fit/work without modifications. it is a little thicker at the end where the wires come out, but I think it will end up fitting. It is narrow enough though.

A dry fit removing the old battery, it fits. Just need to cut and solder it in place at some point. Looks like they will work fine.

Finally got my hands on one of these after hearing so much about it, and the hype is real. It feels nothing like any of the other USB SNES pads I've used before and everything like my real SNES controllers.

SNES pad arrived. Battery is a 3.7v 480mah 1.78wh battery. Will see if those replacement batteries fit without mods.

Based on checking it out, it looks like the battery will fit/work without modifications. it is a little thicker at the end where the wires come out, but I think it will end up fitting. It is narrow enough though.

A dry fit removing the old battery, it fits. Just need to cut and solder it in place at some point. Looks like they will work fine.
Full report, please.

Link and fitting instructions/photos?

Minions

Full report, please.

Link and fitting instructions/photos?

No video really needed.

Just unscrew the 5 screws on the back. Then unsolder the old battery from the 2 pads. Make sure you pay attention to the wire order. Black on the top, red on the bottom.

The easiest way to try to line up the bigger battery to fit is to put it in the back of the case cubby, put the back of the controller face up, then put the face on top. The battery should be resting in the cubby. Once the face is on flip the controller over (so the face buttons are down, and remove the back. The box printed on the motherboard is pretty accurate, though I moved the battery as far up as possible. Also note where the opening is where the wires run through. I then used hot glue to hold the battery in place and placed the back on again to confirm it still lined up. Worst case u pull the battery back off and spend 5 minutes removing the hot glue with your fingernail.

Pictures:
Top battery soldered in place, below is the original battery showing how much extra space is wasted by the old battery.
n87eMeG.jpg

Showing how much space there is (wiggle room) you have to work with vertically. You can be off by a bit and it will still fit in the cubby.
BMCxxcQ.jpg

Closeup of the new battery soldered in place.
Odnyg84.jpg

The wires from these batteries I ordered were/are silicon. This allows you to easily bend/move the wires to where you want to solder them. Currently charging the controller, then I will test it out and confirm everything worked out. There was a little resistance, but was able to close the case without issue, maybe 1mm of space without being held close. Screwing it all together was no issue. The thickest part of the battery is where the wires are, which shouldn't be an issue. I made sure to add electrical tape over the wires after they were soldered to prevent any chance of arcing.

"Tools" used:
Soldering Iron
Flux
Solder of choice
Screw Driver
Electrical Tape
Hot Glue/Gun

-Battery 750mah
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-3-7V-7...93f2:g:6hgAAOSwstxVNgQo&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

No idea if/how much the controller lasts longer. YMMV.

me0wish

Just a warning here: my final opinion on this controller is that a major oversight renders it almost useless by anyone bar uber-casuals on any game (usually platformers, ie Mario World) where you get pressure-sensitive action (I don't mean analog buttons a la MGS but like the longer you press the higher you jump).
The way the buttons and maybe (? Haven't opened mine) switches are built means that under normal play conditions 90 out of 100 tries you can't do the smallest quick jumps any times you might need to and perform them with consistency. Just grab SMW on WiiU and do a series of rapid quick-jumps with the gamepad controller. Now try to do the same with the 8bitdo SFC and consistently pull off the same (lowest height) jumps in quick succession.
You can't. This gives the impression of input lag that some users were lamenting but in reality the problem is on the buttons/switched themselves: I actually measured its input lag againt a proper WUPC and WUGamepad and the results are impressively good since there's basically no lag at all... but what's that good for when you can't play games like they're supposed to? As crazy as it sounds I'd say a tiny bit of (despicable) lag would've been preferable compared to "broken" buttons engineering, at least a tiny bit of lag is consistent and you can try to adapt to it, while here there's no chance to do such a thing.
This fucks up a myriad of retro (and non-retro) games and might be ok for the occasional play but nothing more. Dunno how a major oversight like this slipped through the designers, meh. This is without mentioning that in Wii Remote emulation mode the R/L buttons to emulate motions like shake are iffy at best and often result in 1 press = multiple presses instead (try Metal Slug Anthology on Wii/vWii and see how you end up throwing multiple granades for every tiny/quick R button press when in Wii Remote's emulation mode.)

You've been warned! If I had known this beforehand I would've never bought one so I felt like it was kinda important to share my opinion.

I almost regret not listening to you, the buttons take too much time to travel when pressed making them much less sensitive than they should be, and they take time to travel up, so when pressed, they stay pressed more than they should be pressed.

Even with all the negatives, I still love the controller, and this is why I am extremely disappointed, I couldn't wait to make it work with cave story, but I couldn't do the precise jumps that needed to be done.

Overall, I find it very hard to recommend, and its a real shame, the build quality is amazing, and the controller just feels fantastic, but the buttons issue makes the controller unusable.

Now I wait for the pro controllers, hopefully it would be just as good but with out the issue.

EraErr0r1

I almost regret not listening to you, the buttons take too much time to travel when pressed making them much less sensitive than they should be, and they take time to travel up, so when pressed, they stay pressed more than they should be pressed.

Even with all the negatives, I still love the controller, and this is why I am extremely disappointed, I couldn't wait to make it work with cave story, but I couldn't do the precise jumps that needed to be done.

Overall, I find it very hard to recommend, and its a real shame, the build quality is amazing, and the controller just feels fantastic, but the buttons issue makes the controller unusable.

Now I wait for the pro controllers, hopefully it would be just as good but with out the issue.

This is completely true unfortunately. I absolutely love the build quality of the 8bitdo controllers, but the input lag and lack of sensitivity renders it useless for the platformers I want to use it for. I used Super Mario All Stars as my test. At first I just thought my skills had eradicated with time and I now suck, (may be true to an extent haha) but other controllers (Wii mostly) worked a treat.

Ordered the FC30 PRO (the dual joystiq model with the Famicon colors) with my Amazon giftcard today.

Finally got my hands on one of these after hearing so much about it, and the hype is real. It feels nothing like any of the other USB SNES pads I've used before and everything like my real SNES controllers.
Guess I'll be finding out for myself on Monday or Tuesday which side of impressions I find myself on; either the positives ones like I quoted or the negative ones like above my post. I can't see it being any worse than my $15 MOGA controller (dpad is garbage, buttons aren't great, and there's randomly some noticeable bluetooth lag), but if I find that the buttons are as bad as some people are finding I might return it (I do have a bit better tolerance than some people when it comes to input lag, but even I have my limits).

Sophia

I also would not exactly recommend this controller, my battery is entirely fucked due to BT never turning off and the dpad is too inprecise. I didnt even think about lag but it explains a few things and why i went back to a ds3.

I dunno about the pro controllers, but you can turn the Bluetooth off on the SNES30 simply by holding start down for like five seconds or something. My tablet will not connect to the SNES30 right now, for example.

me0wish

Thanks for sharing :D

No idea if/how much the controller lasts longer. YMMV.
Would love to know how long does it last, awesome stuff dude, thanks for sharing!

Any chance you took some pictures of the front of the controller PCB?
I doubt they have changed them, the buttons/dpad sensitivity is a mess! its unbelievably bad.

This is completely true unfortunately.
I'm almost done playing DKC with the controller, it feels pretty amazing playing it with this controller, but it feels unacceptably bad when your input is not working which is like 90% of the time for me. I tried it with BlazBlue and I couldn't even do a single dash! Now that is pretty freekin bad! o.o"

I find it hard to say, but, avoid this controller, it sucks, but I love it :(. If anyone knows how to get it fixed by changing the components inside, please let me know how.

psylah

I've had 0 luck getting the 8Bitdo SNES30 work with Retropie. The closest I get is D-pad control in joystick mode (Mode 1), no other buttons work. The other modes make Retropie throw errors during pairing, except for Start+R, but that is also unresponsive during button assignment.

me0wish

I've had 0 luck getting the 8Bitdo SNES30 work with Retropie. The closest I get is D-pad control in joystick mode (Mode 1), no other buttons work. The other modes make Retropie throw errors during pairing, except for Start+R, but that is also unresponsive during button assignment.

Have you tried updating the controller? Solved almost all my software related issues on windows.

Just got my FC30 Pro today... and I'm going to be returning it tomorrow.

I already had a MOGA Hero Power that I got for under $15 on sale a while ago for my Android phone and was looking for a better controller to replace it, but this 8Bitdo controller isn't really better.

The analog sticks are almost identical between the two, but I'll give the edge to the MOGAs. The d-pad is better on the 8Bitdo, but not by a lot. The buttons are about the same, but the triggers are better overall (the MOGA has really mushy main triggers). I do like that the 8Bitdo can be used on more devices, but I don't think I'd ever use it as a 360 controller and if I ever jailbreak my iPad to get better controller support, I think I'll just use my Dualshock 4.

For more than double the price I paid for the MOGA it just isn't worth it to keep unfortunately. The gold coloring of the face of the controller is just a really cheap sticker that arrived with some scratches already and I scratched it a little more with my finger nail. And the MOGA comes with a built in stand for a phone and can be used as an external battery if I need it, which I find more useful than any of the benefits of the FC30 Pro.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to this controller, mainly for the great looks and its functionality, but it just wasn't worth it since I already had a similar budget bluetooth controller.

Audette

I bought the Snes30 for a Raspberry Pi box I was making. Really disappointed to hear everybody's having such problems with the input. I should have tested it on my PC... Damnit.

me0wish

I bought the Snes30 for a Raspberry Pi box I was making. Really disappointed to hear everybody's having such problems with the input. I should have tested it on my PC... Damnit.

The controller is getting better with me as I use it more, I couldn't do a single dash in BlazBlue, and I couldn't finish the first section of the final level in Cave Story, after using the controller for a while I could easily do both.

Rongolian

Banned
Has there been any word on the adapters that allow use of the 8bitdo controllers on retro consoles?

There are some videos on youtube of their prototypes that allow pairing the existing 8bitdo controllers with a Super Nintendo and NES, but the only comments I could find were from their twitter and facebook that claim they should be available "early 2016".

I really hope they still get released, I've been wanting a reliable wireless controller for retro consoles for a while!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Yep, to be fair I did warn you guys (even tho some fellas made it sound like I was imagining things). Truth is that we're way more sensible to these problems than your average gaffer.

This is completely true unfortunately. I absolutely love the build quality of the 8bitdo controllers, but the input lag and lack of sensitivity renders it useless for the platformers I want to use it for. I used Super Mario All Stars as my test. At first I just thought my skills had eradicated with time and I now suck, (may be true to an extent haha) but other controllers (Wii mostly) worked a treat.

It's not a lag related problem, the controller is in fact pretty awesome as far as inputs delay goes with no discernible lag whatsoever. What you feel like lag is actually the button taking too much time to make its run from 0 to fully pressed and back.

Minions

By the way. Having opened the Pro controllers, there is no way to increase the battery in those. They are manufactured with a slot for the battery that is the same size as the battery that is in it. It is also thinner than the SNES controller.

Dicer

Banned
dont miss any shitty controler from 80s and 90s. all of them were garbage aside from dualshock 1

Never has one single opinion been so terrible...

GREAT controllers
Saturn Pad, the GOAT of d-pad and button goodness
Hori 6 button for the PCE, second only to the Saturn Pad
NeoGeo CD pad, that clicky stick makes it insane.

GOOD controllers
PCE Pad, like a nes pad, nicer edges and built in turbo
Snes controller, perfect for what it is
PCE Ave 6, Close to the hori, just shaped a bit different.

then the rest go from Ok to crap, but to say only the dual shock was good, LOL all damn day.

Dinjoralo

I'm gonna be getting an NES30 Pro for my birthday, to play games on my laptop wherever and maybe use for a few phone games. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it that I'm seeing here for the NES30 and SNES30, I don't want to lug around my steam controller or a 360 controller with a long-ass wire. And I don't care about using it wirelessly for the lappy, I've had annoying problems with bluetooth in areas where tons of people have their phones out doing whatever.

Oh yeah, and there's 8BitDo's zero pad, which I decided to buy because why not. It's actually pretty tight for something so god damn tiny.

Dinjoralo

Wait, it doesn't support Steam games on Windows?

You talking about the NES/SNES30's? They have modes for connecting to PC, but that works as directinput that many games don't properly support, with a wonky button setup. You can make them work using x360ce.

Rich!

Just wondering

I have a SNES 8bitdo controller modded with original SNES (PAL) buttons and pads.

Does anyone want it?

Top Bottom