• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) appreciation thread

7608.jpg

All the excitement over the DVD release inspired me to dig out the SNES and play through this game again. Damn, is it fun stuff! This was the last great Batman game from Konami, and was filled with villains, challenge (the Riddler's level), and some damn good aesthetics. Respect it!

Yeah, great game. At the time that released, I really wanted to see NES Batman combined with Konami's Batman Returns beat 'em gameplay, looking like the animated series' visuals, with Sunsoft's bad-ass soundtracks (NES and Genesis Batman 1 games' music were ace) and the fun 3D driving levels of the Sega CD Batman Returns stuff all rolled into one title.

Dujour

Banned
I remember renting this game and not finishing it. Damned Riddler level. I also played a rom about a year ago for the snes. It was a Batman one done in the animated series' style, but it wasn't this one. All I can remember was that it had a Joker roller coaster level, a zeppelin level with the Scarecrow and I fought Clayface.

Pachinko

yes, this game was fantastic, it had awesome music in it as well.
The stage order if I recall correctly went like this-

The joker - amusement park, with the giant toy soldier mid boss and the roller coaster fight.

Poison Ivy- hop around plants gassing the enemies becuase they were all women :p

The penguin- look around for clues and stuff with your gas mask on and eventually fight the penguin on a rooftop.

Two Face- Drive arond gotham city chasing after twofaces car, you have to blow it up before the stage ends or you lose.

Catwomen- chase after catwoman while beating her up on a rooftop, you lost if you lost sight of her or fell.

Scarecrow- fight on top of a zeppelin, then crash through into the cockpit with your bathook , eventually taking out the scarecrow on a roof top.

The Riddler- I could never finish this stage but it was neat, it had a huge maze followed by a few riddles and a midboss, thenyouhad to fight across a chessboard before finally taking out huge virtual riddler with laser fingers.

Final Stage- All I know is that clayface was in thsi stage but I never got there myself.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
I remember when this game was initially was supposed to be Batman: The Animated Series. Then, at the time, Fox changed the name of the cartoon series to The Adventures of Batman & Robin to capitalize on the Boy Wonder. Then Konami delayed the game for several months in order to rework the game and change the freakin' title screen. :p

Dujour

Banned
Oh, in that case, I did finish it. ha! Now that I think about it, I recall having to figure out that riddle at the end. What has two lobes something something.... and the answer was HB... the human brain.

Drexon

Banned
This is the one where you could jump on walls to get up shafts, like in PoP, right? I sucked soooo hard at that. :p

XS+

Banned
Never seen or played this game, anyone have screenies? Is it better than B&R for Genesis/Sega CD (honestly I mean; no N-bias please)?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well, was going to post some screenshots, but everybody and their momma prevents hotlinking these days. I can't imagine why. ;)

Konami did a great job emulating the look of the animated series and just put out an all-around great side scroller. I also enjoyed the Batman Returns game they created, though not to the same extent.

lordmrw

you're delusional. All the pretty special effects in the world aren't worth dick if the gameplay is broken, which the genesis version was. For those of you that never beat Batman and Robin SNes, the final stage has you fighting all the bosses over again with barely any health pickups in between. Its as hard as the last stage in Megaman 1.

XS+

Banned
Broken gameplay? Explain.

And Batman Returns for SNES wasn't very good (still leaps and bounds better than the Genesis/SCD game tho)

What are you talking about it being better than the Genesis version? The Genesis version owned. It may have been a tad on the difficult side, but damn it was a great game and two players.

XS+

Banned
I liked the uber-hectic pace in B&R Genesis. You were always on your toes in that game, otherwise you died VERY quickly. Badass.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
lordmrw said:
you're delusional. All the pretty special effects in the world aren't worth dick if the gameplay is broken, which the genesis version was. For those of you that never beat Batman and Robin SNes, the final stage has you fighting all the bosses over again with barely any health pickups in between. Its as hard as the last stage in Megaman 1.

Use of word "broken" = Opinion no longer valid. :D

IMO the Batman games were always better when done by Sega. Konami's games weren't bad, it's just that Sega did a better job overall. I also liked how we got two Batman and Robin games in the form of the Genesis version (action), and the Sega CD version (driving, complete with original episode made just for the Sega CD version!)

XS+

Banned
IMO the Batman games were always better when done by Sega.
Batman Returns for Genesis sucked so unbelievably hard. I never played BR for Sega CD, but the driving portion of the SCD version couldn't have saved the worthless Shinobi clone gameplay. And the music was always wrong and un-authentic for the Sega Batman games (which is the Genesis' fault I'm sure, but it's not really a valid excuse).

And I saw the vids of the B&R cutscenes for the Sega CD game. It was very nicely-done for a video game, but that's not a Batman TAS 'episode.' There was like no story behind it. If you do consider it an official 'episode,' it's easily the weakest one of the entire series.

Ryu

^^That is this one. And yeah, that Riddler level was damn challenging, especially when you get to the chess board...

If you watched the cartoon at all, every level in the game was modeled after an episode in the series. The Riddler level was one of the most classic as just about every challenge you face was ripped right out of the episode it was modeled after. I had a pretty good memory back then and never had a problem with the level because of that stuff. Really friggin cool. :)

The SNES version is leaps and bounds better than the Genesis version. Genesis version had shoddy gameplay, no real challenge, and TERRIBLE sound. Only thing it had going for it was the graphics. Never played the Sega CD one.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i didn't even know this game existed. must have come out late in the system's life. i suppose i'll download TEH ROMS and then buy it if i like it.

and the genesis version's reputation for unplayable difficulty isn't fair - it's totally playable as long as you don't insist on playing it like contra. it needs to be played more carefully and methodically. great game, with probably the best special effects i've seen on a 16 bit console.

jett

D-Member
I didn't find the SNES version all that great, it wasn't anything special. And the Genny game wasn't fun at all. Had nice effects, though.

Prince of Space said:
The SNES version is leaps and bounds better than the Genesis version. Genesis version had shoddy gameplay, no real challenge, and TERRIBLE sound. Only thing it had going for it was the graphics. Never played the Sega CD one.

Are we even talking about the same game? We are talking about:

gene.jpg

9.jpg

Batrobb.gif

Cuz if we are, I can't even believe we're talking about the same game. Shoddy gameplay, NO CHALLENGE? One of the biggest complaints about the game was its difficulty.

DarkCloud

XS+ said:
Batman Returns for Genesis sucked so unbelievably hard. I never played BR for Sega CD, but the driving portion of the SCD version couldn't have saved the worthless Shinobi clone gameplay. And the music was always wrong and un-authentic for the Sega Batman games (which is the Genesis' fault I'm sure, but it's not really a valid excuse).

You could make it so you were only doing the driving missions though...completely skip the platforming bit. The batskiboat levels were absolutely the best memories I have when it came to 16 bit driving games. And the music was totally redone...if the hub was still up i'd share it for you. The church theme is absolutely great.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DarkCloud said:
You could make it so you were only doing the driving missions though...completely skip the platforming bit. The batskiboat levels were absolutely the best memories I have when it came to 16 bit driving games. And the music was totally redone...if the hub was still up i'd share it for you. The church theme is absolutely great.

yeah, i HATED batman returns the game, but the sega cd game rocked with that code. the driving levels were just sooo kick ass and fun

Top Bottom