The AFL-CIO Has No Love for the Green New Deal

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Another AOC thread, if anyone has a better source let me know I will put it in the OP

The Green New Deal resolution introduced by Sen. Ed Markey and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez last month calls for, among other things, a partnership for Green New Deal policy to be developed in consultation with labor unions, the right to a “high-quality union job” for every American, and the right to unionize. Despite this, America’s largest coalition of labor groups is not happy with Markey, Ocasio-Cortez, or their plan.

In a letter dated March 8 and addressed to Markey and Ocasio-Cortez last week, the AFL-CIO Energy Committee ripped apart the Green New Deal, an ambitious plan to both tackle climate change and overhaul and expand the safety net in America.

“We welcome the call for labor rights and dialogue with labor, but the Green New Deal resolution is far too short on specific solutions the speak to the jobs our members and the critical sectors of the economy,” the AFL-CIO said. (Disclosure: Splinter is part of the Writers Guild of America East, which is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.) “We will not accept proposals that could cause immediate harm to millions of our members and their families. We will not stand by and allow threats to our members’ jobs and their families’ standard of living go unanswered.”

The letter is signed by United Mine Workers of America president Cecil Roberts and Lonnie Stephenson, the president of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. It is written on behalf of eight other unions, including United Steelworkers (USW) and North America’s Building Trades Unions (NABTU).
According to the Washington Post, Trumka told reporters last week that the union wasn’t consulted before the Green New Deal was introduced. “Look, we need to address the environment. We need to do it quickly,” Trumka said. “But we need to do it in a way that doesn’t put these communities behind, and leave segments of the economy behind. So we’ll be working to make sure that we do two things: That by fixing one thing we don’t create a problem somewhere else.”

Interestingly, some local affiliates of the IBEW have come out in support of the Green New Deal, such as one in San Diego. “I know some of my counterparts and other unions have concerns about the Green New Deal, and they have positions that are not our position,” Lou Antonellis, the business manager for IBEW Local 103 in Massachusetts, told the Dorchester Reporter last month. “So, we think it’s about time. We are all about green jobs. We’ve been promoting green technology for a long time.
Not good if Dems lose big time Unions over this Green New Deal...

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Another AOC thread, if anyone has a better source let me know I will put it in the OP

Not good if Dems lose big time Unions over this Green New Deal...
I’m fairly certain the neoliberal and alt-left Dems hate unions, or at the very least they hate working class folks in manufacturing jobs, for different reasons of course. I think it is a major divide in the party. The neolibs want cheap labor, and the alt-left just hates white people. The old guard progressive wing on the other hand embrace unions.

Not that Republicans are any better in their treatment of unions of course.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I’m fairly certain the neoliberal and alt-left Dems hate unions, or at the very least they hate working class folks in manufacturing jobs, for different reasons of course. I think it is a major divide in the party. The neolibs want cheap labor, and the alt-left just hates white people. The old guard progressive wing on the other hand embrace unions.

Not that Republicans are any better in their treatment of unions of course.
True, but Unions are the Dems bread and butter. They need unions for political and financial support. Its like if a Republican came up with the New Christian Deal that pissed of all the evengelicals, wouldn't be good for their base.

Dems can't go around pissing of unions. They already aren't having a good look with Jews, Trump has a hard core press for black males, pushing the Unions out would kill their party.

Apr 15, 2018
True, but Unions are the Dems bread and butter. They need unions for political and financial support. Its like if a Republican came up with the New Christian Deal that pissed of all the evengelicals, wouldn't be good for their base.

Dems can't go around pissing of unions. They already aren't having a good look with Jews, Trump has a hard core press for black males, pushing the Unions out would kill their party.
Can't they. They are clearly the party of wall St and silicon valley. They "care" about unions as long as they don't go against the real power brokers in the party.

Remember TPP?