• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Agency (PS3/PC) cancelled, 3 SOE studios closed, 200+ layoffs across SOE studios

exwallst

The dollars, studios, and jobs killed by MMOs is staggering. Who runs strategy for these companies? It's like they looked at Coca Cola and say "wow, what a great business selling sugar water for a huge profit. I can do that."

DaBuddaDa

George Broussard? Check.
Posts of "I hope everyone lands on their feet ok!?"
Posts of "FUCK <insert company doing layoffs>"
Posts arguing whether these are real layoffs or "seasonal adjustments"

GAF you're getting too predictable.

Otherwise, George always seems to get it right, so these rumors are probably true. I hope everyone affected lands on their feet OK. SOE can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned, their projects were looking good. It sounds like these are real layoffs and not seasonal or planned, so sad news.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I...can't say I'm surprised. SOE always seemed way too bloated as a whole. The Agency debacle has been the writing on the wall for several years.

Sucks for those who lost their jobs.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Hopefully this means SoE is focusing more on Everquest Next and Planetside Next.

AwRy108

One of their main titles--FreeRealms--launched on PS3 this week after being on PC for several years, and the servers are still down. Can't say I'm too surprised to see them laying off people.

Also have bad memories of when they tried to add online play the 2nd Champions of Norrath, and it never EVER worked correctly. Maybe the "O" in their name stands for "Offline"...

exwallst said:
The dollars, studios, and jobs killed by MMOs is staggering. Who runs strategy for these companies? It's like they looked at Coca Cola and say "wow, what a great business selling sugar water for a huge profit. I can do that."

I wouldn't be surprised if far more studios and jobs have been lost to non MMO projects. We constantly hear of studios laying off or closing down who have nothing to do with MMOs

Corto

Galvanise_ said:
SOE (and subsequently SCEA) need to get their shit in order.

This. So much this... MS is eating their lunch from the beginning of the generation (Nintendo ate their breakfast, brunch and supper). SOE seemed bloated considering the output they had.

Chris_C

LM4sure said:
hah, wasn't the agency supposed to be some amazing exclusive game? guess not.

You're thinking of Agent from Rockstar.

Terrible to hear about the layoffs, but SOE really do need to get their act together, compared to Sony's other first party studios their output and the quality of it has been quite poor.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
exwallst said:
fatbabies was great, why doesn't someone bring it back?

Because now blogs, forums and social networks are widespread enough for every bitter, jaded industry employee to anonymously bitch on their own!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I hope agency doesn't get cancelled. I actually thought it had very good ideas and some promise for a strong game.

Can we blame Hotz?
Anyone that has seen me post knows that's a joke and an attempt to say it before some nut does.

LM4sure

Banned
Chris_C said:
You're thinking of Agent from Rockstar.

Terrible to hear about the layoffs, but SOE really do need to get their act together, compared to Sony's other first party studios their output and the quality of it has been quite poor.

oh you're right. well what the hell happened to agent then?

Morn

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Probably not. SNEA will be managing and maintaining PSN in NA. SOE did not do that.

SNEA is just handling the billing side of things. The money. The technical side of PSN is still looked after by SOE who designed it.

StuBurns

Banned
This sucks pretty hard, best of wishes to the guys and gals out of work, I hope they find their way to good places.

The Agency I'm surprised went on this long, I thought they'd canned it when the CD quit a while back.

Audioboxer

Guess that's what happens in 6 years of diddly squat. SOE really does pale in comparison so every other 1st party Sony studio.

Best of luck to anyone who lost a job today though.

Morn

Banned
Guess that's what happens in 6 years of diddly squat. SOE really does pale in comparison so every other 1st party Sony studio.

Agency was started before they were a first party. Back then they were still a third party.

PS Next and EQ Next are the first two games they've started on since being bought by SCEA.

DMeisterJ

Banned

SCE was just about as useful as SCEJ :/

Sorry to all those who've lost jobs.

Audioboxer

Morn said:
Agency was started before they were a first party. Back then they were still a third party.

PS Next and EQ Next are the first two games they've started on since being bought by SCEA.

Seems like that was a stupid takeover on Sony's behalf then. Maybe they would've done better staying 3rd party, now they've been gutted like a fish for struggling to produce anything.

I'd like to see some sort of PS3 MMO that isn't free realms, but it seems the development time scales are huge, and likelihood of success very small.

I guess that can be said for the whole MMO market mind you.

Duffyside

Banned
Freaked out when I thought "The Agency" was "Agent." Still bummed though. I really liked the art style of The Agency. Too bad; they spent so much time on the game. That always strikes me as strange: when a developer/publisher spends 2, 3, even 5 years on a game and then it gets canceled. Why not release it and try to recoup some of the cost, even if it only sells 100k units? Publishing must cost a lot, but digital distribution doesn't fix that problem?

Takao

Banned
Nnnnnoooo, who will make me my PopCap ports for PSP?! :(

Man, I sound like such a terrible person. But I really can't say anything else. I've never played any actual SOE games outside of Untold Legends.

I hope most if not everyone laid off manages to get a stable job somewhere. :(

Morn

Banned
Seems like that was a stupid takeover on Sony's behalf then. Maybe they would've done better staying 3rd party, now they've been gutted like a fish for struggling to produce anything.

I'd like to see some sort of PS3 MMO that isn't free realms, but it seems the development time scales are huge, and likelihood of success very small.

I guess that can be said for the whole MMO market mind you.

If SCEA didn't take them over there wouldn't be a PSN.

Here's how the development of PSN happened:

Tokyo came up with a features list and sent it to SCEA. SCEA had no experience building an online infrastructure, but SOE did. SOE at the time was part of Sony Pictures and a third party to SCEA. SOE became Sony Online Entertainment, LLC and then was jointly owned by SPE and SCEA. SOE then began working on PSN by designing the entire back-end including the system publishers use to submit games while also implementing Tokyo's ass-backwards feature list that didn't include a universal friends list. Once PSN was done, SCEA bought SOE completely.

Top Bottom