• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alliance Alive HD Remaster announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

Bullet Club

The Alliance Alive HD Remaster announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

Due out this fall in Japan.

OUpREpM.jpg

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals The Alliance Alive HD Remaster for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC. It will launch this fall in Japan.

The Alliance Alive first launched for 3DS in Japan in January 2017, followed by the west in March 2018. Its development team includes staff who worked on Romancing SaGa 2 and Suikoden.

Here is an overview of the 3DS version, via western publisher Atlus:

One Thousand Years Ago, Daemons Invaded the World of Humans
They subjugated Humanity and created the Great Barrier to separate the realms. The world was thrown into upheaval, and the Dark Current was born. It carved a cross-shaped swath across the ocean, swallowing countless cities in its wake. Humanity was decimated. Hundreds of years later, Daemons rule atop a hierarchical society. However, the time for resistance has come. The world is about to change yet again…​

Crafted by Legendary Talent
With writing by Yoshitaka Murayama, game design by Kyoji Koizumi, a vision realized by director Masataka Matsuura, and a stunning score delivered by acclaimed composer Masashi Hamauzu, players will experience the nostalgia delivered by these Japanese RPG greats. With gorgeous world exploration, an intertwining story involving nine memorable characters, and strategic, turn-based gameplay mechanics, players won’t want to miss this return to Japanese RPG excellence.​

Built on a sprawling world replete with numerous secrets to discover, players will need to establish and unite guilds throughout the four realms while battling the Daemons. Use the “Ignition” system, a part of the turn-based combat that allows for deep customization and nuanced gameplay, to reach an enhanced state and deliver devastating Final Strikes. In The Alliance Alive, players will need to keep their wits about them and think strategically to win each fight!​

Source: Gematsu

Bullet Club

It was only released digitally in PAL territories on the 3DS, so hopefully the PS4 & Switch versions get a worldwide physical release this time around.

EDarkness

Was going to get this game on the 3DS, but decided to wait since I don't play my 3DS anymore. This is perfect. Can't wait to pick it up.

Battlechili

Banned
NICE
Definitely going to grab this this time around. I skipped on it on its 3DS release but it looked neat. Really liking this trend of Japanese PC releases.

Shifty1897

Good. It's the best SaGa game ever made. If that last third wasn't such a drag it would have been my RPG of the year for 2018.

Hudo

Well, I didn't see that coming. I have heard good things, though! Can't wait to try it on Switch. It's a SaGa-like, right?

Maybe Atlus might port Persona Q2 over as well? (A man can dream, lol).

Daymos

I'm playing it now, it's definitely a throwback to the ps1 jrpg days. The story is a little light and there's no flashy fmv cutscenes or voice acting but the battle system is alot of fun. Having tedious random turn based battles is hard for me to slog through in this day and age but in this game you get see the fights coming and actions/menus move very quickly and there's a hefty amount of variety/customization & challenge to be had. I find myself purposely running in to encounters just to unlock or strengthen the weapon skills and abilities of my favorite characters.

Overall I'd say the game is on par with bravely default or bravely second.. the production values aren't as high as those two games but the battles are more interesting. I had problems dealing with the sheer amount of jobs and abilities in bravely, and slogging through the random encounters was still pretty boring. Of course you could turn off the encounters but then it felt really cheesy just walking through the dungeon to the boss battle fighting nothing at all.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm playing it now, it's definitely a throwback to the ps1 jrpg days. The story is a little light and there's no flashy fmv cutscenes or voice acting but the battle system is alot of fun. Having tedious random turn based battles is hard for me to slog through in this day and age but in this game you get see the fights coming and actions/menus move very quickly and there's a hefty amount of variety/customization & challenge to be had. I find myself purposely running in to encounters just to unlock or strengthen the weapon skills and abilities of my favorite characters.

Overall I'd say the game is on par with bravely default or bravely second.. the production values aren't as high as those two games but the battles are more interesting. I had problems dealing with the sheer amount of jobs and abilities in bravely, and slogging through the random encounters was still pretty boring. Of course you could turn off the encounters but then it felt really cheesy just walking through the dungeon to the boss battle fighting nothing at all.
I was initially hooked by Legend of Legacy’s “SaGa” vibes, but it quickly turned into a punishing marathon of battles. I couldn’t take it anymore. Sounds like Alliance Alive is similar :(

Last edited:
I was initially hooked by Legend of Legacy’s “SaGa” vibes, but it quickly turned into a punishing marathon of battles. I couldn’t take it anymore. Sounds like Alliance Alive is similar :(
There's much more "RPG" in Alliance Alive. Legacy was basically just a bunch of fields with enemies in it and barely any cutscenes or NPCs to talk to. This one has a much more involved plot with actual characters and story. Basically, everything that Legacy did, this does better and so much more. It's like the Assassin's Creed 2 to Legacy's Assassin's Creed.

Shifty1897

Alliance Alive is supremely better paced, there's cutscenes and exploration and a worthwhile story now!

Also, I was on the fence on picking this up since I beat the 3DS version but then I saw the HD screenshots and now I'm day one again.

D1GyXGVsAAQkmR.jpg

D1HG4MPU0AYjD5.jpg

Bullet Club

- Play what was originally on two screens on a single screen and without stress.
- All videos have been beautifully remastered in high-definition.
- A new assist feature has been implemented that explains new systems during the game.
- A new guidebook feature has been implemented.
- The Switch version can be played at home or on the go.

Orenji Neko

I like the comparison and definitely getting this, though it does make me wish a few other games I enjoy on that system were updated and put onto the Switch. Dragon Quest VII and VIII are two in particular that I would snap up in a heartbeat.

Shifty1897

They really put a lot of work into the graphics. It looks great! It's a shame there's still no voice acting but I get it.

Bullet Club

Thanks to NIS America we were able to cover this game a little bit early! Here is our Early Non Spoiler Review for Alliance Alive HD Remaster! The Alliance Alive HD Remaster Releases Globally on Oct 8th for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. The PC version will be out on steam in 2020.

Feels so strange to see this get a remake a year after the original (same for TLoU)

I saw Legend of Legacy for £19 on NISA Europe's store. Is it worth it or not?

Top Bottom