• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 PS4 gameplay

Loudninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JJzq5BCqo
Since taking over as stewards of the Spider-Man console gaming franchise, we’ve seized the opportunity to explore new territory with each game release. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on PS3 and PS4 created a great opportunity to build and improve on something rather than starting from a blank slate. The gameplay walkthrough we’ve prepared for you today shows off some of the ways we’ve gone about doing that, but I’d also like to briefly flesh out some of those details with a little more context.

The new mechanics of web-swinging are more than just a visual tick, and that’s why we often start off pointing them out. Controlling separate sides of Spider-Man with separate sides of your brain has a great psychological effect, and it really immerses you even deeper into your character, particularly when you have to decide to use the right or left trigger based on the physical location of buildings as you swing through the city.

Your cell phone is more than just a glorified menu and map — it’s also how you gauge your progress as New York’s guardian arachnid. The new “Hero or Menace” system is a way for us to personalize the act of safeguarding everyday citizens’ lives, by adding real consequences for Spider-Man and the city as a whole based on your actions (and inactions). We really want you to feel like you’re the hero behind the mask, and that means giving you all the challenges and choices that ol’ Webhead has to deal with moment-to-moment.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/27/the-amazing-spider-man-2-ps4-video-walkthrough/#sf2360873

The web swinging mechanic looks god to me ,seeing alot of pop-in though.

scsa

Incredible shot of the city when Spidey first jumps from the roof top.

Hope this turns out well.

Raxious

lol,

"You can notice right away that the web swing mechanic feels different"

No, what you notice right away is the massive popup this game has. Also, the city still looks dead.

Really bad pop-in, hopefully it's better in the final release. Looks good, though. The last Amazing Spider-Man game was alright, a solid 7/10, so hopefully this is an improvement.

Certinty

No way can that be the PS4 version, popups are horrendous.

Besides that though it looks good, the first one was alright at best and this looks better and I'm a huge Spidey fan so I'll give it a go either way.

Geedorah

I said all I wanted was a decent swing mechanic...

And all they gave us was a decent swing mechanic - sacrificing nearly everything else :/

Aw weel, first one was a rental, this one will prolly be one too.

I swear NY in Spiderman 2 was a lot more alive. And that was a 6th gen game

XBOX Spiderman 2 is without a doubt the best Spiderman title I've ever played. I /really/ hope the swing mechanic gets close to this, as it has been the most visceral swing mechanic I've tried to date.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I swear NY in Spiderman 2 was a lot more alive. And that was a 6th gen game

Kyoufu

Waaaaay too much pop-in for what looks like an outdated city, visually.

The combat doesn't look very good either. Another "Press Y or Triangle to counter when enemy lights up" system? Why do developers do this?

farisr

After Spiderman 2, this is what I expected the ps3/360 version of Spiderman 3 to look like.

Not gonna comment on the gameplay.

denshuu

Looks great. And he has both of the Superior Spider-Man costumes in the closet.

Was already going to buy it based on how many hours I put into the first game, but that ish is dope.

The combat doesn't look very good either. Another "Press Y or Triangle to counter when enemy lights up" system? Why do developers do this?

Because the Arkham franchise makes money.

RetroStu

Banned
I think it looks very fluid and smooth, it gives you a great sense of motion and speed BUT the graphics are terrible and the pop up is god awful lol, this can't be close to release surely?.

Also i hate the new web slinging, who cares if he was swinging from the sky in the first game?, it was fun but now you have to pick buildings to swing from and i there are no buildings nearby then you're can't swing. It doesn't sound fun.

BrhysH

I watched the whole trailer and the only thing I'm left thinking about is... Why is there so much pop in? Every car while swinging just happened to appear.

Dysun

So lifeless, wow. It's a shame they can't make a good game out of this license with like their 4th (5th?) try

New swing mechanic sounds very interesting.

Most of the pop in will probably be fixed, so I'm not bitching about it now.
I also didn't like the character animation when he played as Peter Parker, that looked Ps2-level clunky. Hope they work on that.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
This looks great. All the good stuff from the first one with vast improvements over what didn't work.

Namikaze

It doesn't look that bad. I'd probably rent it and play through it once. Swinging mechanic makes me want a good AOT game for PS4 too.

Carbonox

Swinging aside (which to be fair looks pretty fun), everything else looks like trash. Utterly lifeless and the pop-in is absolutely terrible.

cacildo

The web swing. Gotta fix the web swing. The web swing people want. The web swing people talk about on the internet. The web swing from spiderman 2 from 10 years ago. The web swing where´s the web swing

And while all this happens they forgot open world games became an incredibly boring show of fetch quests + qte + a billion kilometers of empty space in which nothing interesting happens + boring boss fights with QTD

DedValve

Banned
The new swinging mechanics and bringing back Spidy 2 web attachments will easily make this the most fun just traversing around. More open missions also sounds excellent.

How far away is this game from releasing?

Although it's been how many games and we still don't have Spider sense attached to the rumble features of a controller. It would be soooo much more cooler to have the right or left side of a controller vibrate as you near an enemy.

coldfoot

Banned
Infamous is the better open world superhero game with a good/evil decision mechanic.
This game looks like ass, even for a PS3 game it looks bad.

btags

The web slinging stuff actually looked pretty cool, but the rest of the game looks pretty average both graphics and gameplay wise. I don't know how this game can look the way it does unless it is running at 60fps, especially after seeing ISS.

Other than the camera being a little too close to Spidey while swinging, I thought the rest of the game actually looked really good! The last Spidey game I played was 3 on the Wii, so needless to say that I haven't gone and checked any of the other games out since then but this may change that.

Certinty

So lifeless, wow. It's a shame they can't make a good game out of this license with like their 4th (5th?) try
Shattered Dimensions was great. That alone proved to me Beenox have what it takes to make great Spidey games but unfortunately their open worlds suck big time. But I'll wait before playing this one to judge since this has to be an improvement from the open world in TASM.

KoopaTheCasual

I think it looks very fluid and smooth, it gives you a great sense of motion and speed BUT the graphics are terrible and the pop up is god awful lol, this can't be close to release surely?.

Also i hate the new web slinging, who cares if he was swinging from the sky in the first game?, it was fun but now you have to pick buildings to swing from and i there are no buildings nearby then you're can't swing. It doesn't sound fun.
It's exactly what made Spiderman 2 so incredibly popular among enthusiasts. So yes, it was exceedingly more fun than just swinging on the sky.

- J - D -

Swinging mechanics are really interesting, and the game doesn't look too bad during the nighttime sequences. I'm a sucker for Spider-Man games so I'm willing to overlook a lot of shit.

Top Bottom