After a great freshman season, The Americans returns for a 13-episode second season on Wednesday, February 26th at 10pm on FX. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys star as two KGB spies posing as Americans in Washington D.C. in the 1980's. The cast also includes Noah Emmerich, and Margo Martindale will be guest-starring again this season. Joe Weisberg is serving as showrunner with a few other EP's, including Graham Yost, helping out. The S1 dvd/blu-ray are out in stores now, and you can also watch on Amazon Prime if you're interested in catching up on the series.
FX said:The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of "Philip" (Matthew Rhys) and "Elizabeth Jennings" (Keri Russell), who have two children 14-year-old "Paige" (Holly Taylor) and 11-year-old "Henry" (Keidrich Sellati), who know nothing about their parents true identity grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Their neighbor, "FBI Agent Stan Beeman" (Noah Emmerich) has already come dangerously close to discovering their secret, but was thwarted by "Nina" (Annet Mahendru), his KGB mole and paramour. Torn between his wife "Sandra" (Susan Misner) and his deepening feelings for Nina, Stan is completely unaware that the beautiful Russian is actually a double agent, reporting on him to the KGB. Philip has been more successful handling his mole within the FBI, "Martha" (Alison Wright), assistant to Stans boss, "Special Agent Gaad" (Richard Thomas). Romancing Martha under the guise of one of his cover identities, an FBI bureaucrat named "Clark," Philip has secured her unquestioning loyalty by marrying her. Meanwhile, in the Jennings house, Paige has become increasingly suspicious that her parents are hiding something.
- Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings
- Matthew Rhys as Phillip Jennings
- Noah Emmerich as Agent Stan Beeman
- Holly Taylor as Paige Jennings
- Keidrich Sellati as Henry Jennings
- Annet Mahendru as Nina
- Susan Misner as Sandra Beeman
- Alison Wright as Martha Hanson
- Richard Thomas as Special Agent Frank Gaad
Videos (please spoiler tag discussion of promotional material)
- "Danger" trailer
- "Paige & Henry" trailer
- "Rules" teaser trailer
- "Hidden" teaser
- "Dinner Table" teaser
- "Stripes" teaser
- "Free Flag" teaser
- "Kiss" teaser
- "Bed" teaser
- Inside the Secrets: First Look - Season 2 (youtube, clips & cast/crew interviews)
- Mahendru & Wright Elevated to Series Regulars on 'The Americans'
- Margo Martindale Returning as Claudia in Season 2
- THR: 'The Americans' Casts Cartoon Network Alum for Season 2
- EW: 'The Americans' season 2: Six scoops on the new season *some spoilers*
- HitFix: Press Tour: More sexy spy action in 'The Americans' season 2 *some spoilers*
- GQ: House of Spies: The Americans' Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys
- Men's Journal: The Ex-Spy Behind 'The Americans'
- Onion A|V Club: The Americans producers walk us through their first-season storylines
- Chicago Reader: Without le Carré, would we have The Americans?
- HitFix: An epic interview with Noah Emmerich on 'The Americans,' 'Jane's Got A Gun' and more (stuff on The Americans starts at the bottom of page 2)
- EW.com Interview: Matthew Rhys on the challenge of playing a knit-wearing, suburban spy
- HitFix: Keri Russell talks Margo Martindale and 'The Americans' season 2
- Deadline: The Americans At NY PaleyFest: Suspicions, Family Secrets And Series Creators CIA Regrets
- highlights from the Paley Center panel from last weekend.
- In 2013, no show used pop music better than The Americans
Reviews & Comments
Sepinwall said:Really liked The Americans in S1, but starting to feel evangelical based on early S2 episode. SO good.
EW said:Season 2 is just as brainy and twisty and kinky [as season 1], and it ratchets up the suspense by making the threats to our "heroes" even more personal.
- Ep 201 - Comrades - Feb 26
- Ep 202 - Cardinal - Mar 5
- Ep 203 - The Walk In - Mar 12
- Ep 204 - A Little Night Music - Mar 19
- Ep 205 - The Deal - Mar 26
- Ep 206 - Behind the Red Door - Apr 2
- Ep 207 - ARPANET - Apr 9
- Ep 208 - New Car - Apr 16
- Ep 209 - Apr 23
- Ep 210 - Yousaf - Apr 30
- Ep 211 - Stealth - May 7
- Ep 212 - May 14
- Ep 213 - May 21
Episode 201 | Season Premiere - Comrades
Elizabeth comes back from her injury and straight into what should have been a routine mission but it goes awry, leaving her and Philip in fear not only for themselves but for their whole network and family. Paige's suspicions have only grown in her mother's absence. Meanwhile, Stan continues to fall for the Russian agent who has started to play him...