• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Beeman chose to send Nina (his love and only constant in his life) to her (possible/probable) death instead of betraying his country. Now she's going back to Moscow for a trial. The whole Rezidentura angle has been totally upended.

I liked this season better than the first but I hated the Beeman plot because I never for a second bought that he would go through with it, so there was no drama to it.

I liked this season better than the first but I hated the Beeman plot because I never for a second bought that he would go through with it, so there was no drama to it.

It showed that Stan wasn't this man who will just toe the company line. This season has added layers to his character. He's also lost his wife/family and another woman he cared for. All he has is his job now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Really? I actually thought he would go through with it and was caught by surprise when he betrayed Nina.

Clevinger

I totally bought it, because it wasn't just about Nina. Weren't they also threatening to send in some file that would ruin his career and maybe land him in prison?

Tamanon

Banned
I thought Stan would go through with it, if only because he had already betrayed the country by giving over the surveillance logs to Oleg.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, Jared's behavior when being questioned by Stan a few episodes before the finale makes even more sense now. I just thought he was handling it badly.

ivysaur12

Banned
It showed that Stan wasn't this man who will just toe the company line. This season has added layers to his character. He's also lost his wife/family and another woman he cared for. All he has is his job now.

Really? I actually thought he would go through with it and was caught by surprise when he betrayed Nina.

I totally bought it, because it wasn't just about Nina. Weren't they also threatening to send in some file that would ruin his career and maybe land him in prison?

I thought Stan would go through with it, if only because he had already betrayed the country by giving over the surveillance logs to Oleg.

Me too, for the reasons you stated.

What an unbelievably fantastic end of the season. I can even forgive the fact that Jared's confession was a little long and ceremonial, the actual twist behind it worked so well. Very few things caught me off guard, but that one did. And the best thing about being caught off guard is that it made complete sense.

Every thing about where the show can go now is so interpersonal. The pieces they've moved around are just amazing -- even the less active church subplot means something now, and is folded into the universe of the show so well. Gah! Ahh! This show!

Fantastic. Jesus, I love this show.

Alpende

I'm really excited to see Paige's reaction to Phil and Elizabeth telling them they're KGB and the want Paige to be KGB too.

Linius

I think they really stepped up a notch with S2. This finale especially was incredible. The whole Jared thing slipped past me completely but looking back it makes sense. The fact that Larrick managed to get to both Philip and Elizabeth also gave me a feeling Paige and Henry aren't so safe anymore for the first time during the series. That small exchange between Philip and Arkady was a nice touch. Matthew Rhys did an outstanding job this season.

I'm certain S2 will make my top 10 at the end of the year just like S1 did.

Also, I liked that The Golden Earring was on the soundtrack. A bit of Dutch pride eh :p

Saty

Good episode with a great reveal and awesome set-up for S3. Though i agree the journalists' hype for the finale was too much.

Didn't think or want Beeman to go through with it. It would have been too 'easy'. He's the show's only avenue for the American\Government side - what's the point of turning him and eliminating the biggest adversary? Besides, what was going to happen with his son if Sandra moved out and he's on the run with Nina?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Meanwhile earlier in the episode Larrick is everywhere he needs to be. Liz goes to visit Jared, hes there. Phil goes for coffee he's there too. Liz and Jared go for a walk, now hes there. He's like Michael Meyers.

That's something that I had a problem with as well. He somehow managed to find Jared's hideout (even if he confirmed with the train station people that he got off the train in that town, how did he find the shack in the middle of the woods?) and then he left (why didn't Elizabeth hear his car engine?) and somehow magically zeroed in on Philip, killed the 1-2 agents at the shack, then snuck back into the woods and captured Elizabeth. Dude was a teleporting ninja.

Linius

Though it might have come across as a bit much I also feel like we needed a guy like him. Philip and Elizabeth were pretty much invincible and now we've seen what can happen as well. He's balancing things out.

Clevinger

That's something that I had a problem with as well. He somehow managed to find Jared's hideout (even if he confirmed with the train station people that he got off the train in that town, how did he find the shack in the middle of the woods?)

He asked what kind of truck (and I'm assuming color) they drove off in. From there, I guess you assume he pretended to be a cop/FBI/whatever with some local enforcement to narrow down his search.

Yeah, ninja, but all season they were hyping him up to be incredibly dangerous.

I'm really excited to see Paige's reaction to Phil and Elizabeth telling them they're KGB and the want Paige to be KGB too.

She already knows some Real Shit is up. It won't be that hard for her. There's a reason they didn't go into it at all this season besides the first episode.

Frost_Ace

Finally started watching this, it's really good, Phil and Elisabeth are basically already villains, poisoning innocents and stuff like that. The sort of procedural stuff from the second epiode was ok but I hope they won't overdo it, will watch the third episose tomorrow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, ninja, but all season they were hyping him up to be incredibly dangerous.

There's incredibly dangerous and then there's, well, Michael Meyers.

Finally started watching this, it's really good, Phil and Elisabeth are basically already villains, poisoning innocents and stuff like that. The sort of procedural stuff from the second epiode was ok but I hope they won't overdo it, will watch the third episose tomorrow.

The first season is a little more procedural than the second, which thankfully isn't at all.

Alpende

She already knows some Real Shit is up. It won't be that hard for her. There's a reason they didn't go into it at all this season besides the first episode.

I think your kind of underestimating it. She was, probably, taught in school that Russia is bad and evil. Now her parents are going to say they're KGB and thus bad and evil? Yeah, I think it's gonna be very hard for her.

Philippo

Wow, i must say i was pretty let down with S2, but last three episodes really delivered, Echo knocked it out of the park.
So many possible plot points for next season!

I was thinking...what if the writers had chosen Henry instead of Paige for second generation?

How'd THAT be for a twist?

I could definitely see Henry becoming a KGB agent in exchange for an Intellivision.

Henry is a more likely candidate. And I'm a little surprised the Center has chosen to wait until the children are mid-teens. Frankly, that's when they rebel, start to understand their parents don't know everything, and begin to branch out, become individuals.

I would think the Center would be pushing more to indoctrinate these kids before that becomes a problem. And they likely should have learned that with Jared.

So, yeah, a message of "Skip Paige, work on Henry" would make more sense to me.

RangersFan

hmm, I'll have to watch the scene again, I just recall him torturing her while she was bound by her wrists hanging in her apartment.

Henry is a more likely candidate. And I'm a little surprised the Center has chosen to wait until the children are mid-teens. Frankly, that's when they rebel, start to understand their parents don't know everything, and begin to branch out, become individuals.

I would think the Center would be pushing more to indoctrinate these kids before that becomes a problem. And they likely should have learned that with Jared.

So, yeah, a message of "Skip Paige, work on Henry" would make more sense to me.
I think that they are afraid that a child that young won't understand the grave consequences and won't understand how serious everything is. A child even pre-teen would be more likely to slip up or drop info that his parents works for the KGB.

Vlodril

Just finished the season. Excellent really just wanted to say that the center is pushing phillip really hard and along with everything else he is going to snap and go apeshit on everyone. He seems smooth most of the time but he kepts things bottled up and he seems lately to unravel a bit (that anger with paige was phenomenal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom