• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
XZcrt5B.jpg

After a stellar second season, The Americans returns for a 13-episode third season on Wednesday, January 28th at 10pm on FX. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys star as two KGB spies posing as Americans in Washington D.C. in the 1980's. The cast also includes Noah Emmerich, and Frank Langella will be guest-starring this season. Joe Weisberg is serving as showrunner with a few other EP's, including Graham Yost, helping out. The S2 dvd is out in stores now, and you can also watch on Amazon Prime if you're interested in catching up on the series.
FX said:
The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell), who have two children – 14-year-old Paige (Holly Taylor) and 12-year-old Henry (Keidrich Sellati), who know nothing about their parents’ true identity – grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. The trickiest of Philip’s sources continues to be Martha (Alison Wright), the assistant to Special Agent Gaad (Richard Thomas). In order to ensure her continued loyalty, Philip, in the guise of FBI bureaucrat “Clark,” one of his numerous cover identities, marries her. Things were going smoothly until Martha began pressuring Clark to start a family. Their neighbor, FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), could also prove to be a renewed threat. When forced to choose between betraying his country or his KGB double-agent and paramour Nina (Annet Mahendru), Stan chose the USA. Nina has been sent back to Moscow to face charges of treason, much to the dismay of her boss Arkady (Lev Gorn), Director of the KGB Rezidentura. In addition to his rededication to his mission of uncovering the identities of the Russian spies living among them, Stan is also attempting to rebuild a relationship with his estranged wife, Sandra (Susan Misner). Meanwhile, in the Jennings’ house, Philip and Elizabeth find themselves at odds over Paige’s future now that the KGB has made it clear that they want her to join the family business.

Cast:
  • Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings
  • Matthew Rhys as Phillip Jennings
  • Noah Emmerich as Agent Stan Beeman
  • Holly Taylor as Paige Jennings
  • Keidrich Sellati as Henry Jennings
  • Annet Mahendru as Nina
  • Susan Misner as Sandra Beeman
  • Alison Wright as Martha Hanson
  • Richard Thomas as Special Agent Frank Gaad
  • Lev Gorn as Arkady

R9Jevox.jpg
gLOVtXB.jpg
BiDQNgj.jpg

EUYPaVp.jpg
RJrgWxv.jpg
lln6hv2.jpg

O3OCGLx.jpg
bq8il2Y.jpg
yRp1YO0.jpg

zKKFFXO.jpg

Guest cast:
  • Frank Langella as Gabriel
  • Costa Ronin as Oleg Burov

EYm6EIy.jpg

Videos (please spoiler tag discussion of promotional material)

Links

tykNEcT.jpg

News:

MrvzzqP.jpg

Reviews & Comments
Adalian said:
Just finished first two eps of #TheAmericans S3. Multiple layers of awesome in what's shaping up to be a drop-the-mic kind of season.

Sorry to gush, but 12 hours after watching The Americans S3 premiere episodes, I'm still thinking about the show.

S3 Poster:
V7Ld2Wz.jpg

gODFtrf.gif

Big-E

Can't wait. My only complaint from last year is that Phillip turned into death incarnate with him being able to take out any number of people at any time.

IronRinn

Finally buckled down and started watching this (feel like I've been saying that in a lot of threads lately, lots of tv to catch up on) and we're almost done with season two, so I'll be around for the season three premiere. Show has been stellar so far. After The Strain, SoA, and AHS: FS it's nice to be reminded that FX does actual quality television.

Meier

I heard season 2 was good but man, I just got so bored of it.. quit it after like the 2nd or 3rd episode. Maybe some day we'll come back to this show, but I don't really feel any need to.

Linius

I heard season 2 was good but man, I just got so bored of it.. quit it after like the 2nd or 3rd episode. Maybe some day we'll come back to this show, but I don't really feel any need to.

And you're still wrong. I will tweet praise of every episode and you will read those tweets till you're sick of me. And then you'll watch it. Okay?
9vU7w8t.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I don't know how you'd get there, but S2 turned into hot fire.
The part where they broke into the US Army compound
was :O

Rehynn

I've been spreading the gospel of this show since episode 1 and have actually managed to get a few friends into it - and they all became fans. Can't wait for what's next!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I binge watched Season 2 after it was added to Amazon Prime Instant Video so i'm ready for Season 3. Love this show, probably one of the more underrated (by the general public) shows on television. I had so many friends talk about watching the last season of Sons of Anarchy, and I'm like "...what about Justified? Have you started watching The Americans yet? Where are on Hannibal?" I'm an annoying friend.

Season should be pretty tense with Elizabeth and Philip at odds about Paige.

BTM

Just finished watching the first 2 seasons on Amazon Prime, and damn what a great show. The Americans have shot up to my 2nd favorite thing on television right now behind only Game of Thrones. Can't wait for the premier!!

Just finished watching the first 2 seasons on Amazon Prime, and damn what a great show. The Americans have shot up to my 2nd favorite thing on television right now behind only Game of Thrones. Can't wait for the premier!!
it's such a shame how much this show flies under the radar. I don't even understand why. It has a cool premise and good actors and everything.

- Columbus Alive review:
Throughout its stellar first two seasons, FX’s Cold War spy drama “The Americans” has been incredibly adept at creating tension. Whether using spy-craft action set-pieces or more human conflicts among characters, “The Americans” is often an edge-of-your-seat series. With that said, the early episodes of Season 3 ratchet the tension up another level.

BTM

it's such a shame how much this show flies under the radar. I don't even understand why. It has a cool premise and good actors and everything.

I know. It wasn't really on my radar until I went through the top TV shows of 2014 thread and many of the sites quoted along with some gaffers had The Americans in their top 10 and some even had it at #1. I figured I should check it out since it was on Amazon Prime and I'm really glad I did.

rude

Banned
This, Hannibal and The Knick are my favorite shows on television right now. Can't wait for it to start back up.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I seriously hope they don't ditch some of the finesse the show has in favour of more mainstream choices, that would be terrible. S2 was great, but I noticed a slight shift in tone expecially regarding the Russians, but thankfully it was not enough to become annoying. Hopefully the show keeps striking that balance in S3 and seasons to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom