• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Poster is up, too:

rRahdWm.jpg

This is my favorite show on TV right now. Topped Game of Thrones because season 3 was excellent.

I like it overall because we are seeing how America was far ahead of The Soviets in terms of IT innovation. Sometimes you even see the Soviets talking about how the stuff that was rumored to come from use was beyond their knowledge. Its a small part of the overall series that deals with family and such. But I like learning about The Cold War as its a part of history that we never got TOO specific on.

I am wondering how the priest will deal with the revelation from Paige.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
“What we do know is that this fourth season — if you think of the series as a three-act story — it feels like we’re coming toward the end of the second act. Whether it takes a fifth season — or a fifth and sixth season — to tell the rest of that story, we’ll discover that as we dig out of this season. We have the support from the network to do what’s right for the show and make those choices based on what’s important for the story and what we want to do creatively.”

(executive producer Joel Fields)

Source

-griffy-

Banned
Thanks! Poster is up, too:

rRahdWm.jpg
Between this and the promos, I'm wondering if this is the season where Phil and Elizabeth fully go against each other. Do one of them (Phil obviously) defect to the US? Does Paige screw them both over before that can happen? Does Henry have more Eddie Murphy impressions? Does Mail Robot get revenge on Gaad?

makes me really happy to see that they know what they're doing here in terms of story

I hope phil and elizabeth never go against each other but I could see them splitting up because Phil goes rogue and doesn't want to suck Elizabeth into it. They'll get Elizabeth to try and kill him or something, lol. So many possibilities. Not to mention all the stuff with Paige boiling up.

They ran a trailer at the TCA panel, but I haven't seen it online yet. I would guess they're waiting for the early February premiere of The People vs OJ Simpson to air it? Sounds like things are getting pretty crazy from a few impressions of it.
Between this and the promos, I'm wondering if this is the season where Phil and Elizabeth fully go against each other. Do one of them (Phil obviously) defect to the US? Does Paige screw them both over before that can happen?
I wonder if they're actually willing to do that. They've been at odds over a lot of things in the first three seasons, but it's always been issues that they can somewhat resolve for the sake of the kids. Phil is so jaded these days that I'm not sure defecting is still on the table for him. He seems a little resigned to what's going to happen.
Does Henry have more Eddie Murphy impressions? Does Mail Robot get revenge on Gaad?
lols

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are they going to write Russell's pregnancy in
Based on the apparent timing of her pregnancy, I don't think there'd be a need. Also, I don't think the show would want to deal with that.

Saty

Center tasks Elizabeth with luring a high-ranking American official and she gets more than she bargained for. Elizabeth's disdain for anything American versus Center's commands to keep the baby as leverage. Not wanting to make his infidelity public, the American official and his wife raise the kid as their own. Forget about 2nd Gen spy with Paige, jump straight to 3rd! Get that spin-off ready for the future.

Klocker

I would be OK if they announce 1 or 2 more seasons left in this and bring it to some sort of a conclusion. It would get annoying to see this drag on for 5 or 6 years. There is so much more they can do when it is aN early conclusion like other shows have been doing.

- ShowBizJunkies: Matthew Rhys Interview
In the early episodes of The Americans, Philip had an optimism about America and had hopes that this was his real home. Is that Philip gone?

Matthew Rhys: “Yes, I think to a degree. To me personally, I’ve always had this thing that with each season, the intensity increases. And I think for Philip it becomes a sort of quest for survival. I think his goal has become kind of narrower, more pure in that he wants his family to be okay and that means having to do everything to the best of his ability. So is there a part of him that still wants and yearns for that? Yes, absolutely. But I think what we see more is this metronome increasing as he’s kind of going, ‘I just need to do everything as best as I can so everyone stays alive.'”

-griffy-

Banned
Any kind soul willing to give me a spoiler free review of all 3 seasons? Im very interested i giving this a shot

Do you enjoy spy stories? This show does about as good a job at conveying the central drama inherent in any spy story, that of the "work" clashing with the "normal" life, as any spy story could reasonably be expected to do. It's often riveting, suspenseful, and dramatic, and constantly has you questioning who you should be rooting for and why.

- A couple of tidbits from a recent WGA panel:
Keri Russell was cast on a hunch. Discussion of casting strategies featured prominently throughout the panel, included this tidbit of how Keri Russell was hired to star as Elizabeth Jennings in The Americans. According to Weisberg:

“I was in a room with John Landgraf, the president of [FX] and five other people, and a list of the 100 best-known television and some film actresses in Hollywood, who were in a certain age range. Everyone was studying the list, and John went, ‘Keri Russell.’ That’s how [she was cast].”

The reason? “John had this intuition that she had played such a 100 percent different type,” says Weisberg, “[and] that it would be incredibly fascinating and rich to have her move in an entirely different direction.”
Sometimes actors talk in gibberish when asked to audition a scene in Russian. Fields revealed that when they cast for The Americans, the actors do the audition scenes in both Russian and English. Caramele asked Weisberg and Fields whether any actors spoke gibberish to fake their way onto the show. “The funny thing is, they try,” said Fields. “But we have a translator that, when someone gets close, their auditions get sent out to the translator for vetting, and sometimes the translator will say, ‘Ha-ha no. Not remotely.’”

Also, Deadline noted last week that Susan Misner (Sandra Beeman) was cast in a new Hulu series and also stated that she 'was a regular' on The Americans. Looks like she appears in at least the first episode of this season, but I wonder if they're going to reduce her role even further going forward because of other commitments. She's also currently on Billions.

Mifune

Mehmber
I rewatched the pilot this weekend, intending to watch only the opening Tusk sequence, and ended up doing the whole episode. goddamn this show was good from the start.

Mindlog

Keri Russell was cast on a hunch. Discussion of casting strategies featured prominently throughout the panel, included this tidbit of how Keri Russell was hired to star as Elizabeth Jennings in The Americans. According to Weisberg:

“I was in a room with John Landgraf, the president of [FX] and five other people, and a list of the 100 best-known television and some film actresses in Hollywood, who were in a certain age range. Everyone was studying the list, and John went, ‘Keri Russell.’ That’s how [she was cast].”

The reason? “John had this intuition that she had played such a 100 percent different type,” says Weisberg, “[and] that it would be incredibly fascinating and rich to have her move in an entirely different direction.”
Earned the rights to a permanent smug face with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom