• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Zaph

Fantastic, understated finale. So good to see Stan happy - he needed a win, either at work or at home.

Hope they're not winding down the Russian side of things, with both Arkady and Oleg leaving the Rezidentura, and instead going to pick back up with them in Russia. It would be great to see them react to Chernobyl.

IronRinn

The finale was good but kind of anti-climactic, absolutely amazing acting by Baker though. I realize this is probably due to the budget getting slashed this season, but I miss the espionage and action stuff the first 3 seasons did so well. The character work here was as good as ever but the focus on the family drama and Paige made it my least favorite season so far.
Seriously. At the beginning of the season he was "that dude who always plays awkward/bristly weirdos" but he was great in this season and brilliant in this episode.

Edit: Reading the AV Club post mortem interview I am once again reminded that Polite Fight is being absolutely fucking wasted on Game of Thrones.

New Slate podcast is up. You can listen to it here or here. Should be up on iTunes as well. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are the guests.
New parents Keri Russell (Elizabeth) and Matthew Rhys (Philip) join June Thomas and showrunners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg in this installment about the Season 4 closer, “Persona Non Grata.” They discuss Rhys’s favorite on-set moments, why Russell says she enjoys acting now more than ever, and the challenges of sculpting a finale that sits in the sweet spot of satisfying—but not too satisfying.

Also from Slate: “Elizabeth, Carrying a Laundry Basket, Enters”: How TV Writers Deal With Pregnant Actresses

-griffy-

Banned
Do you guys think Paige is genuinely falling for Matthew, or is she doing this on purpose as part of the family business? Or perhaps more interestingly, she is confused about her own intentions and feelings?

Do you guys think Paige is genuinely falling for Matthew, or is she doing this on purpose as part of the family business? Or perhaps more interestingly, she is confused about her own intentions and feelings?

She's a teenager with Russian spies for parents. She's confused as fuck.

Linius

I feel like it's somewhere in the middle, confused yeah. Obviously she likes him, she's known him for a long time now. But I think she's not sure if she likes him as a friend or more. Either way Phlip is not happy with the growing relationship there, poor Stan.

-griffy-

Banned
Just realized how much more fucked Stan's realization of who is neighbors are is going to be now that their daughter is making out with his son as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just realized how much more fucked Stan's realization of who is neighbors are is going to be now that their daughter is making out with his son as well.

What if Paige's relationship with his son went even further? Like marriage or a kid? The revelation could potentially ruin his son's life.

Linius

The day he finds out is gonna be a tough scene to watch for all of us. Can't imagine the pressure on Emmerich for acting that inevitable moment either by the way. That will be a key scene for the series.

IronRinn

The day he finds out is gonna be a tough scene to watch for all of us. Can't imagine the pressure on Emmerich for acting that inevitable moment either by the way. That will be a key scene for the series.
Will he be able to outdo Dean Norris?

Stan knew Washington would get blown out by the Raiders.

THE DOTS ARE THERE. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE.

Great season overall in seriousness. And at some point weirdly I actually came to enjoy Oleg and Tatiana's scenes quite a bit.

IronRinn

New Slate podcast is up. You can listen to it here or here. Should be up on iTunes as well. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are the guests.
I really wonder if the Js are going to have the same regrets with Henry that Vince Gilligan had at the end of Breaking Bad with Walt Jr. (that is, not giving him enough to do). Interesting that only Rhys responded to that line of questioning.

Possibly, though they did note that he broke his ankle right before they starting shooting S4, and as a result, he had to be seated for just about all of his scene this year. I'm not sure how limiting that is, nor do I have a good read on how strong an actor he is at this point.

There was a 6 month time skip for their 'vacation'

That was before they watched "The Day After." The show went from like March to November. This seemed like a more subtle jump, in fact it feels like the last few episodes have pretty much all occurred in immediate succession.

IronRinn

Possibly, though they did note that he broke his ankle right before they starting shooting S4, and as a result, he had to be seated for just about all of his scene this year. I'm not sure how limiting that is, nor do I have a good read on how strong an actor he is at this point.
Haven't gotten to the part regarding the ankle. Interesting. Honestly, I have kept wondering if they saw how his one big scene went in Season 2 (I think), the "I want to be good" scene, and have sort of shied away from giving him any other big scenes.

More thoughts on S4:
- Washington Post
- Warming Glow

I think it's a little bit of both. William talked about the excitement of being a new spy in the episode, and she was giving her parents info about Stan via Matthew. She also has the teenage push-pull with her parents of both trying to please them and rebel. He's also in a very similar situation to her (absent parents with secrets), and they have an affinity because they share that. Not a simple situation and I imagine she has mixed feelings about it.
And at some point weirdly I actually came to enjoy Oleg and Tatiana's scenes quite a bit.
Much like the layers to Paige's feelings about her parents and their primary occupation, I don't know if there was ever a clear read on Oleg and Tatiana's relationship. They certainly felt for each other on some level, but I was also left wondering how much of it was positioning and gamesmanship with respect to work.

that's why the series should end on the realization. I don't want to see the aftermath or the cat and mouse. I want stan to find out just when it's too late and they're gone.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Very understated finale... It felt a little odd for Phillip and Elizabeth to be so utterly paralyzed, or at least to depart the season on that note.

I'm not sure how I feel about Mischa becoming an active player. I want to trust them, but that makes me real nervous. Good job with the casting however, I knew exactly who he was supposed to be when he popped up on screen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fairly atypical finale. Lots of characters moving in and out yet the tone remained mostly low key and devoid of the usual tension barring the initial chase. Then again, this entire season has been unusually dense in terms of plot. Dare I say, it's been more meaty than flashy.

Wonderful shot to end the episode, too.

Still need that Stan gif for the week.

3h77gVP.gif

Audioboxer

Fairly atypical finale. Lots of characters moving in and out yet the tone remained mostly low key and devoid of the usual tension barring the initial chase. Then again, this entire season has been unusually dense in terms of plot. Dare I say, it's been more meaty than flashy.

Wonderful shot to end the episode, too.

3h77gVP.gif

Happy Stan is the best. Guy is glum too often (for genuine reasons).

He's going to be wrecked if he ever finds out about the Jennings.

Aiii

So not worth it
Stan is just so glad that he might actually get an adopted family through this hook-up.

I'm afraid that if the Jennings' don't end up killing him when he finds out that he'll end up committing suicide from the shame. Poor Stan, you lovable bastard.

Audioboxer

Stan is just so glad that he might actually get an adopted family through this hook-up.

I'm afraid that if the Jennings' don't end up killing him when he finds out that he'll end up committing suicide from the shame. Poor Stan, you lovable bastard.

I love the way his nose twitches all the time, but that's probably just a facial trait of the actor.

Ashby

Stan's happy reaction was great but also weird. I can't imagine I would ever happily mime my son feeling up a man's young daughter to the guys face lmao.

faridmon

Fucking loved the love the final, and dare I say, thought it was the best season so far. Loved how understated everything was and how quite some of the episode went on, despite shit happening elsewhere.

Oleg and the Scientists were mvp for me this season, especially the acting when he was bedridden with the disease which could be a good shoutout for an award nominee.

I am excite to find out how the fact that family is stressed out about their cover being blown out is gonna have an impact with their relationship with Stan, The church people and themselves. Henry's inclusion is gonna be wonderful next year.

Damn, Can't wait!

jerry113

Banned
Loved how understated everything was and how quite some of the episode went on, despite nigger shit happening elsewhere.

Er... Unfortunate typo? B and N are right next to each other on the keyboard. Lol.

There does seem to be less fight scenes as the series goes on. If you watch season 1 again there's a lot of fights going on. Now it's like a character study.

Audioboxer

Er... Unfortunate typo? B and N are right next to each other on the keyboard. Lol.

Aw man, I know it's wrong but I burst out laughing. Yeah, that's like the most unfortunate and worst typo to ever happen. Poor GAFer. Paging fairdmon.

Fucking loved the love the final, and dare I say, thought it was the best season so far. Loved how understated everything was and how quite some of the episode went on, despite nigger shit happening elsewhere.

Oleg and the Scientists were mvp for me this season, especially the acting when he was bedridden with the disease which could be a good shoutout for an award nominee.

I am excite to find out how the fact that family is stressed out about their cover being blown out is gonna have an impact with their relationship with Stan, The church people and themselves. Henry's inclusion is gonna be wonderful next year.

Damn, Can't wait!

3h77gVP.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What a ominous ending to the season. It was like Philip and Paige were walking towards a haunted house. I have to imagine this was closing the door on worrying about Pastor Tim, and shifting towards Paige taking it upon herself to get into the family business.

Stan cracked me up at the end. Even if Philip wasn't worried about Paige getting too close, I think his reaction would be the same. Stan is over there mimicking Philip's teenage daughter getting felt up on the couch lol

I have absolutely no idea where things will pick up next year. Maybe another rift between Philip and Elizabeth coming? The latter would probably be more on-board about pulling out of America than the former.

Catdaddy

Yeah, when Stan finds out about the Jennings, it will be brutal and the end of his FBI counter-intelligence career – you live across the street for KGB agents and shared personal information. Damn…..he’ll be ranked below the mailbot in Nome Alaska.

faridmon

The fuck, I totally didn't meant that and certainly didn't write that

I am writing on a laptop with a keyboard and that wasn't certainly an auto-correct.

WTF?

Damn…..he’ll be ranked below the mailbot in Nome Alaska.

Mailbot should run for the '84 presidential ticket.

Much like the layers to Paige's feelings about her parents and their primary occupation, I don't know if there was ever a clear read on Oleg and Tatiana's relationship. They certainly felt for each other on some level, but I was also left wondering how much of it was positioning and gamesmanship with respect to work.

Yeah I felt ambivalent at first because I'm used to scenes where coworkers sleep together on tv and it's the drama of "Let's pretend this never happened" but it felt like a connection or they understood each other but kept wondering is there something at play. But regardless I felt they were very strong scenes usually.

Grizzlyjin

That Slate podcast was a fun listen. Even though I already knew Keri Russell was an American (hehe), I've gotten so used to every actor secretly being English or Australian. When she sounded the same as she does on the show I was slightly taken aback.

Best parts were them discussing hiding Keri's baby bump, and crafting finales. I liked that talking about the latter, they discussed giving the audience a satisfying season finale but not too satisfying.

Maybe it's just reading through this thread but feels like this show has gotten a lot more buzz and articles and promotion going for it versus its earlier season heydays. It's great.

Top Bottom