• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Premiering the day after my birthday. I'll take it. I can unwind* with this after my Tuesday night classes. Just enough'll be recorded to watch without commercials when I get home.

*Knowing this show, it will actually increase stress levels.

Dan unwinding after a long evening of classes...

FXxv4Uz.gif

PS: Amusingly, a gif search for "Keri Russell vein" brings you back to this thread.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm okay with Tuesday nights. Just as long as they don't move it to Sunday night like every other cable drama on the planet, I'm good.

Ristifer

So glad they're moving it to Tuesdays. I had to work pretty damn early on Thursdays, so going to bed all wound up from The Americans was pretty brutal (yet still worth it).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I finished the series a couple weeks ago but have been banned so finally posting my thoughts. I thought this was a really great show with Season 4 being its best season yet although I felt after Martha left, that it took awhile to regain the momentum. I'm not really sure where the show will end up although I really can't wait till they get caught by Stan. It will probably be in the Season 5 finale though, and then Season 6 will be all that drama where they either end up dead or they spill their guts and become "real" Americans.

A few more TCA panel reports:
- NY Mag
- Nerdist

- LA Times Winter TV preview
Though critically acclaimed, “The Americans” has existed mainly as a ratings sleeper since its premiere in 2013, but emerged as a true contender in its fourth season, earning both Emmy and Golden Globe recognition. The show has maintained a steady sense of urgency and excitement even as the stakes are raised for the Jennings. The confession by the couple to their inquisitive daughter Paige (Holly Taylor) of their true identity — and Paige’s betrayal of her parents by telling her church pastor that her parents are Russian spies — could have been disastrous for the show’s momentum (see the second and third seasons of “Homeland”), but instead has taken the drama to another crackling level. The Jennnings’ fascination and growing affection for the American way of life brings another layer that makes the drama even more complex. Can’t wait for the new season.

Zousi

So how to interpret that image of the Jennings. It would seem that Philip is pretty much done with violence while Elizabeth is still struggling to get there. Is there even a chance for an peaceful ending for this couple i wonder. Probably not and it will be sad to see.

Watching through season four for the first time now, on episode eight. I was trying to convince a friend to watch the show and he asked how it ranks against my favorite shows (most of which he has also seen). I am hard-pressed to think of a show better than this one. Just phenomenal.

Man, just finishing up S4 and I really don't like the whole Young Hee plot line -- just so sad. At least Elizabeth hates doing it. Man, just ick.

Man, just finishing up S4 and I really don't like the whole Young Hee plot line -- just so sad. At least Elizabeth hates doing it. Man, just ick.

It was a good storyline for Elizabeth but you couldn't help but feel terrible about the whole thing. And it did that Americans thing where it technically has a payoff, but it doesn't satisfy you in that way we're used to from TV shows. There's no escaping how terrible it is what Elizabeth is doing.

FX updated their website. Their cast list currently includes: Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, Noah Emmerich, Holly Taylor, Keidrich Sellati, Costa Ronin, Margo Martindale, and Frank Langella. This is trimmed down a fair bit form previous seasons since there's no Arkady, Martha, Gaad, etc...

Here's the new summary:
The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. during the Reagan administration.

The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but as the pressures and demands of the job grow heavier, the personal toll becomes almost too exhausting to bear. Having revealed their true identities to their teenage daughter Paige (Holly Taylor), Philip and Elizabeth's ability to protect their cover and their family's safety has become even more tenuous.

Even as Paige pushes her parents to bring her deeper into their confidence, Philip and Elizabeth struggle to maintain normalcy in their family, especially around their son, Henry (Keidrich Sellati). Paige's budding romance with Matthew, the son of their neighbor, FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), further complicates matters since Stan – Philip's best friend – remains the greatest threat to the Jennings' safety. He and his partner, Agent Dennis Aderholt (Brandon J. Dirden) are on the task force that seeks to uncover the Soviet illegals living among them.

After Stan's KGB lover/asset Nina was sent back to Moscow and executed for treason, he cultivated a relationship with KGB officer Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin), who, torn between duty and conscience, shared top Soviet secret intel with Stan that allowed the FBI to avert a potentially catastrophic loss of life. Disillusioned with the KGB, Oleg returned home to Russia, but he is finding it harder to escape his past transgressions than he had hoped.

As the Cold War rages on, paranoia on both sides reaches new heights, making Philip and Elizabeth's work increasingly vital – and eminently more perilous.
New thread will be up later this week.

Top Bottom