• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
GFhEKVf.jpg

The Americans returns for a 13-episode fifth season starting Tuesday, March 7th at 10pm on FX. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys star as two KGB spies posing as Americans in Washington D.C. in the 1980's. The cast also includes Noah Emmerich, Frank Langella, and Margo Martindale. Joe Weisberg is serving as showrunner with a few other EP's, including Graham Yost, helping out. Seasons 1-4 are available on Amazon Prime if you're interested in catching up on the series. Note that The Americans has been renewed through Season 6, which will conclude the story.

FX said:
The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. during the Reagan administration.

The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but as the pressures and demands of the job grow heavier, the personal toll becomes almost too exhausting to bear. Having revealed their true identities to their teenage daughter Paige (Holly Taylor), Philip and Elizabeth's ability to protect their cover and their family's safety has become even more tenuous.

Even as Paige pushes her parents to bring her deeper into their confidence, Philip and Elizabeth struggle to maintain normalcy in their family, especially around their son, Henry (Keidrich Sellati). Paige's budding romance with Matthew, the son of their neighbor, FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), further complicates matters since Stan – Philip's best friend – remains the greatest threat to the Jennings' safety. He and his partner, Agent Dennis Aderholt (Brandon J. Dirden) are on the task force that seeks to uncover the Soviet illegals living among them.

After Stan's KGB lover/asset Nina was sent back to Moscow and executed for treason, he cultivated a relationship with KGB officer Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin), who, torn between duty and conscience, shared top Soviet secret intel with Stan that allowed the FBI to avert a potentially catastrophic loss of life. Disillusioned with the KGB, Oleg returned home to Russia, but he is finding it harder to escape his past transgressions than he had hoped.

As the Cold War rages on, paranoia on both sides reaches new heights, making Philip and Elizabeth's work increasingly vital – and eminently more perilous.

Cast:

HGbO1Au.jpg
LtCrvRt.jpg
I1kiL6w.jpg
wDdU3xm.jpg
  • Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings
  • Matthew Rhys as Phillip Jennings
  • Noah Emmerich as Agent Stan Beeman
  • Holly Taylor as Paige Jennings
v7WhSyx.jpg
F2dRbZR.jpg
Nwplr1V.jpg
nh8R7aH.jpg
  • Keidrich Sellati as Henry Jennings
  • Costa Ronin as Oleg Igorevich Burov
  • Margo Martindale as Claudia
  • Frank Langella as Gabriel

Videos (please spoiler tag discussion of promotional material)

Links

E6ale5b.jpg

News:

Reviews & Comments
Forbes said:
Knowing the next two seasons are the last also makes everything feel heightened. Thus far, nothing about The Americans feels like its spinning its wheels. Everything is done with calculated precision and swiftness. We move from one scene to the next in blinding efficiency. That said, moving fast doesn't mean moving unjustly. Nothing is without impact. Emotion is still intact. The Americans has never been this good at what it does best - emotionally complex spy drama.
Collider said:
In all of these ways and others, The Americans continues to be a deeply complicated but beautifully nuanced portrait of a family. The family isn't typical, but their dynamics are. It's what makes the formula for the show, if you can even dare to call it a formula, so compelling. There's action and tension and incredibly cold and brutal violence (that is also swiftly effective), but alongside it are parents and teenagers sparring, fears over emotional infidelity, over job security, and about complicated adult friendships. It's muted, tense, and in Season 5 it takes its time. It's building to something else, and while we don't yet know what that is, there's no reason to be suspicious. It is not the catastrophe the Jennings are waiting for (Able Archer, perhaps?), but it will surely be astonishing, and never more relevant.

Rating: 5 stars Excellent — Still one of the best, if not the best show on TV.

S5 Poster:

gbg8Kdi.gif
TQ1UAzK.gif

Special thanks to griffy for the thumbs up gif.

demon326

This is became one of my favorite shows after watching the first episode on Netflix... I needed to see what happend next, good thriller, going to miss it when it stops

faridmon

I am so fucking hyped you can't imagine

Best show on TV right now (after Person of Interest quitting on us)

Can't wait!

kris.

Banned
just caught up finally the other night and goddamn i'm excited for this. so mad i slept on it for so long.

Zousi

Thumbs up for Cornballer! I'm ready for the ride, which i suspect will be full of twists and turns as we near towards that ultimate end.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I watched the Matthew Rhys episode of Girls and realized how good of an actor he was and felt guilty for never watching this show. I'm guessing I would need to watch from the beginning to get caught up?

I watched the Matthew Rhys episode of Girls and realized how good of an actor he was and felt guilty for never watching this show. I'm guessing I would need to watch from the beginning to get caught up?
Yes, it's something that rewards watching it from front to back. Don't skip anything.

First two reviews:

- Forbes review
Knowing the next two seasons are the last also makes everything feel heightened. Thus far, nothing about The Americans feels like its spinning its wheels. Everything is done with calculated precision and swiftness. We move from one scene to the next in blinding efficiency. That said, moving fast doesn’t mean moving unjustly. Nothing is without impact. Emotion is still intact. The Americans has never been this good at what it does best - emotionally complex spy drama.

- Collider review
In all of these ways and others, The Americans continues to be a deeply complicated but beautifully nuanced portrait of a family. The family isn’t typical, but their dynamics are. It’s what makes the formula for the show, if you can even dare to call it a formula, so compelling. There’s action and tension and incredibly cold and brutal violence (that is also swiftly effective), but alongside it are parents and teenagers sparring, fears over emotional infidelity, over job security, and about complicated adult friendships. It’s muted, tense, and in Season 5 it takes its time. It’s building to something else, and while we don’t yet know what that is, there’s no reason to be suspicious. It is not the catastrophe the Jennings are waiting for (Able Archer, perhaps?), but it will surely be astonishing, and never more relevant.

Rating: 5 stars Excellent — Still one of the best, if not the best show on TV.

Is only 13 episodes typical? I feel like the earlier seasons were longer. Anyway, glad to have it back. This year is going to be a crazy good year for TV and movies. My next most anticipated? The Last Kingdom

Always look forward to the new season even though I never like the finales. Without Martha though...finding that tension is going to be tough.

"Philip and Elizabeth undertake a dangerous mission.

Henry really likes Karateka"

"Stan discovers some hidden truths about Martha.

Henry wants to see The Last Starfighter"

T Dollarz

Fuck yes. This will be my second season watching live, after binging last winter. So it's the first time I've had to wait a full year and now I'm hyped as hell.

I would seriously wager that this might be the best running show on TV, now that Rectify has concluded.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Great OT, Cornballer. Thanks.

I can't believe it's finally back. I might need to watch a recap video or rewatch the S4 finale. Feels like ages.

Sweet

They should do a plotline where they recruit/blackmail a loud, whiny, disgusting American businessman with political aspirations....

More reviews:

- Deadline review
. Debuting on March 7, Season 5 of FX’s Reagan-era spy family drama starring the stronger-than-ever Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys has more tricks and schemes up its narrative sleeves than a Cold War intelligence case officer, which is why one of the best shows of the age of Peak TV is feeling more passionate and compellingly convoluted than ever.

- Philly.com review
I've said before that The Americans makes its fans complicit in the treachery of these spies we can't help but like. But what makes it one of the best shows on television -- besides scenes like the last 10 minutes of Tuesday's episode, which are not to be missed -- is its ability to show us ourselves as others see us. Dizzying as that view might be, it's as timely as ever.

I LOVE this show. Started it last month and caught up. If I ever saw Kerri Russel in public I'd be scared as hell. I think the Jennings are one of the more frightening protagonists I've watched so far.

jon_i634

Banned
Fuck yes. This will be my second season watching live, after binging last winter. So it's the first time I've had to wait a full year and now I'm hyped as hell.

I would seriously wager that this might be the best running show on TV, now that Rectify has concluded.

I'm in the same boat. Caught up just in time to watch S4 live. I need to go back and take my time with the earlier seasons instead of binging them. This show definitely rewards careful watching and benefits from waiting a week between episodes.
----
Reading the early reviews make it seem like this is the best season yet. I seriously don't know how they keep topping themselves. It's astounding.

Nobility

Banned
After all the real life drama this year, there is no way in my mind The Americans doesn't win the Emmy for best Drama this year.

*sobs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom