• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone give me cliff notes on what's going on with Oleg's story? It feels very subtle but at the same time I get the feeling that there were some clues or revelations in the past 2 episodes that I missed.

Can someone give me cliff notes on what's going on with Oleg's story? It feels very subtle but at the same time I get the feeling that there were some clues or revelations in the past 2 episodes that I missed.

He's still being investigated for espionage, and has come to the realization that his country has irreparable systemic corruption.

I'm surprised at the serious discussion of moving back to the Soviet Union. After 20 years, have they really not gotten soft to the American lifestyle, or have they just forgotten how bad it is over there?

hom3land

He's still being investigated for espionage, and has come to the realization that his country has irreparable systemic corruption.

Still not sure if he's being investigated because he honestly is suspected of doing what he did.. or higher ups are forcing the investigation in response to his corruption investigation.

I'm surprised at the serious discussion of moving back to the Soviet Union. After 20 years, have they really not gotten soft to the American lifestyle, or have they just forgotten how bad it is over there?

Quality of life difference between US and USSR grew a lot in the years they were in the US. They might not realize how far behind the USSR had gotten on housing, clothing, etc. They (esp Elizabeth) can feel revulsion by the conspicuous consumption in the US and not know that people in the USSR were lacking the most basic stuff.

It's not as if they have any good choices now - neither staying on as spies (slowly killing them) nor moving back to Russia (awful for the kids and perhaps them, as well) are appealing. Then again, I don't think 'retiring' from the KGB and staying in the US is on the table, is it?
Still not sure if he's being investigated because he honestly is suspected of doing what he did.. or higher ups are forcing the investigation in response to his corruption investigation.
Even if it's a manufactured investigation, they're pretty close to the truth by realizing his ties to Beeman, Nina, and William's handler right before Beeman nabbed William. It is suspicious.

It's not as if they have any good choices now - neither staying on as spies (slowly killing them) nor moving back to Russia (awful for the kids and perhaps them, as well) are appealing. Then again, I don't think 'retiring' from the KGB and staying in the US is on the table, is it?

They could defect. Work as double agents if need be, under the condition their kids get to stay and are protected.

Hockey player fiancee was also Styr on Game of Thrones:

mYCaJY9.jpg

Loving the Oleg stuff, just the way everyone seems beat down and accepting of corruption and shitty people getting away doing shitty things is a stark contrast to the mindset between the countries in the 80s.

Its crazy how Elizabeth doesn't accept at all that Henry would totally be Pasha if she forced him to move back. Henry is making his secret moves, by preparing an elaborate dinner he is showing the commies that capitalism is a superior system and soon he will introduce Philip and Liz to the concept of Roth IRAs and mutual funds. Just wait till they discover the wonderful world of beanie babies and Tom Vu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K853GykeGH0

Paige has really grown as a character. There were some pretty big drops on that in this episode. Throwing away the cross, admitting she didn't really want to be around Pastor Tim anymore, saying she's sleeping well again, being able to pick up on Elizabeth and Philip lying, and then training by herself. I smell a big moment coming for her. Maybe not this season, but it feels like the water is heating up and the kettle is about to whistle there.

I kind of disagree with the bolded. She remains as naive as she was the day she found out the secret. What age is she at now? Elder sibling/high school student should put her at least 16 or so? She's supposed to be a smart girl and has had a while to understand the situation but she is not coping well at all. Maybe Pastor Tim was right and this whole business has absolutely traumatized her. She is not handling things the way a 16 year old would.

That scene where she throws the necklace into the trash was mildly ridiculous. I don't know if that was her trying to be dramatic for her parents or the show trying to be dramatic for the viewers, but it didn't work either way. Religion has been shown to be genuinely important to her so it seems uncharacteristic that she would toss it away like that. And if she's actually fed up of it, she still should know that she has to 'handle' Pastor Tim for another two months so throwing it away is still kind of daft.

The girl who plays Paige has done a stellar job acting as her and I think everyone noticed, which is why her side story with Pastor Tim kept getting stretched to unrealistic lengths. I still maintain that the KGB would have taken out Pastor Tim and his wife as soon as they possibly could do it safely.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That scene where she throws the necklace into the trash was mildly ridiculous. I don't know if that was her trying to be dramatic for her parents or the show trying to be dramatic for the viewers, but it didn't work either way. Religion has been shown to be genuinely important to her so it seems uncharacteristic that she would toss it away like that. And if she's actually fed up of it, she still should know that she has to 'handle' Pastor Tim for another two months so throwing it away is still kind of daft.

I think the idea is that religion has been completely ruined for her thanks to Philip and Elizabeth forcing her to spy on Pastor Tim and Alice. The entire process has been so nauseating, so unbearably traumatizing, that she's ready to give up the main thing that previously brought joy and purpose to her life just so she can start sleeping again.

Alpende

I thought this episode was a lot better than the previous 2-3, felt like there was more going on and it was more exciting somehow. Tuan is ruthless and I seriously hope Pasha hasn't slit his wrist just yet.

I think the idea is that religion has been completely ruined for her thanks to Philip and Elizabeth forcing her to spy on Pastor Tim and Alice. The entire process has been so nauseating, so unbearably traumatizing, that she's ready to give up the main thing that previously brought joy and purpose to her life just so she can start sleeping again.

Perhaps. I still think the whole scene where she removes the necklace and drops it into the trash in front of her parents and then walks away without a word was meant to be a performance, and it came off pretty silly to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm enjoying the season but yeah I'm finding it hard to get engaged with the Oleg stuff, and whether it's right or wrong, I think being subtitled/in another language is a big part of it. Hard to have the same amount of suspense or experience their use of words the same.

It also feels like it's much more drawn out in terms of the timeline compared to the stateside plot.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think reading Pastor Tim's diary and discovering the gap between what he writes about Paige and what he says directly to her was a pretty big blow to her view of the church.

Permanently A

The vibe I'm getting from this season is that of The Shield's sixth season. Everything slowly, but surely, crumbling and stretching at the seams.

GHG

Gold Member
I think reading Pastor Tim's diary and discovering the gap between what he writes about Paige and what he says directly to her was a pretty big blow to her view of the church.

Yep. She doesn't trust him anymore. She was testing him when they were packing the boxes of food and he failed the test in that he wasnt honest with her when questioned on his thoughts about how she's coping. That was the trigger for her to tell them to send him away.

Elizabeth mentioned to Phillip that Paige will start to see him for what he really is through reading his diary a few episodes ago, and this is it. He's writing one thing and telling her another, all while touting the line that the church is about "honesty and truth".

Elizabeth and Philip have also manipulated her to see them in a better light through the whole wheat project by not telling her the whole truth. She now sees them as the good guys while pastor Tim's stock is falling fast.

Phillip was right about Paige though, she really wasn't equipped to deal with the truth, nevermind become an agent one day.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm very, very slowly catching up with this season. With that said, I'm greatly, morbidly enjoying the amount of uncomfortable conversations so far. I just watched episode 8 and I'm convinced no other show makes awkward stares like The Americans.

sndUPXd.gif

94OQhKr.gif

Those could be easily be static images instead of gifs, yet they convey a lot.

I'm also loving nihilist Vietnamese orphan Tuan. That kid is not right.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You don't even know how right you are.
I simply adore his low key dastardlyness.

One episode he's talking about how America and the Soviet Union are eventually going to destroy each other while gleefully munching on some McD fries probably bought with KGB money and the next one he's making plans to bully a kid into going back to Russia like it's no thing.

Ashby

This season has made me just stop caring about this show which is unfortunate since it used to be one of my favorites. It took me three tries to get through the entirety of the most recent episode, for example. I can't even really nail down why that is. The glacial pace? Usually I'm pretty good with that. Oh, well. Happy others seem to still be enjoying it. I'll stick with it since I've watched it up through most of 5 seasons, might as well see it through but it's been a slog recently.

Season finale tonight:
The Soviet Division

The riveting season finale of The Americans finds Philip and Elizabeth racing against the clock as a life hangs in the balance, while Stan faces an uncertain future.

Blader

Quality of life difference between US and USSR grew a lot in the years they were in the US. They might not realize how far behind the USSR had gotten on housing, clothing, etc. They (esp Elizabeth) can feel revulsion by the conspicuous consumption in the US and not know that people in the USSR were lacking the most basic stuff.

Didn't Elizabeth just go back 1-2 seasons ago to visit her mother, though?

- Parade: The Americans Bosses Talk the Season 5 Finale
Will next season’s series finale episode be vastly different from what you set out to write when it first began, or is it similar?

Joel Fields: To our surprise, it is very similar to what we set out to do. We have now written all ten outlines for the final season and we are in the process of refining them before we start writing scripts. We have certainly found ourselves many, many times over the years writing the show surprised as stories have turned in new and unexpectedly fun directions. We really expected in many ways this story we had in mind would change, but, although there have been different iterations of it, it has really been different variations of the same ending, and it sure seems that that is where we are headed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Perhaps. I still think the whole scene where she removes the necklace and drops it into the trash in front of her parents and then walks away without a word was meant to be a performance, and it came off pretty silly to me.

She is 16, after all!

This is some good stuff on Twitter in response to memles' request: "Catching up on #TheAmericans: is there a fan vid that's set Henry encountering the mail robot to a romantic ballad? If not, why not?"

ha

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season finale already. I honestly don't even know what to expect. They built up the urgency with all the Tuan stuff. I'd be surprised to see that operation carry over into the final season, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WITH THE AMERICANS. You'll think the writers forgot or moved on from a character and then they'll show up for a few scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom