• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Angry Video Game Nerd; 10 Years Later.

Kid Ying

I'm also with him ever since the show started. It's the only YouTube show, apart from jimquisition, that i still watch. I don't like the toilet humor anymore, but i like how he reinvented himself to be more informative with time. That's what keeps me watching. You usually learns something new about old games and that's great.

There is a small group of posters that still post in the OT, but I'm interested in what the rest of GAF thinks. Did you ever watch AVGN? Do you still? Did you enjoy it? What do you think of it 10 years later?

WOW! It has been 10 years! I was actually also part of the group that was watching Angry Nintendo Nerd before even hitting it big through YouTube!

I have fun memories with the original episodes! It is amazing how far he has come and I progressively enjoyed the enhancements with him, Mike, Justin, and others.

I remember being 'excited" every 2 weeks on that particular Wednesday morning when Screw Attack would have a new episode of The Angry Nintendo Nerd. I used to even download the episodes so I can watch them on my phone or IPAD without the need of internet. LOL

As everything in life, sooner or later it will run out of gasoline. I still watch each episode and everything else James Rolfe does on the side, but you can tell a lot of it is recycle comedy or even forced. However, sometimes we still have recent jems like Seamen which was HILARIOUS and Mega Man games which was very entertaining!

AaronMT86

I've enjoyed James and Mike's videos for years and still do. I still like hearing their thoughts on movie and game reviews on their recent videos.

ghostjoke

Banned
I've never been a fan of crass humour, but AVGN was always entertaining with how he combined it with absurdity and a deep love/knowledge. His plight with the fully constructed Genesis will always get a laugh out of me. And then there's the Bible Games saga.

LeleSocho

Banned
If i wasn't there from the beginning then it was very near, i too remember that every time a new video was out it was a big event, good times.
It helped me understanding english better.

Nere

His old videos are really entertaining yet it is obvious that either he has lost the passion or doesn't care today. He could move on to ps/n64 games instead of being stuck with nes/snes games, he could review actual good games and tell his opinions like the series of castlevania videos. His interests lie elsewhere though and I respect that.

Tapejara

Never watched the AVGN series itself - nor do I have much interest to - but I really enjoy the current content Cinemassacre puts out. Mike & James Mondays, Mike and Bootsy; all a lot of fun to watch. I really like when they check out weird homebrew games.

adamy

Banned
his reviews on movies, especially horror, are much better than his video game reviews

not suprising given that he seems totally burned out in the video game ones but still killin it in his movie reviews

magnetic

I'm not really into it that much anymore, but the car driving segment in the latest video was surprisingly entertaining to me. Really felt like the more surreal older stuff.

https://youtu.be/neN_uouYF5I

I like Mike, and Bootsy is a very cool dude, probably because he seems so relaxed all the time. His Battletoads guide videos were really nice.

It's actually kinda impressive that AVGN is still going. Most of the early YouTube generation has been pushed aside by Let's Play sweatshops that pump out ten videos each day.

What personally kept me interested is that James kept doing different formats, like the casual James and Mike play, or Board James.

I guess I outgrew the Angry Nerd persona, but James as himself is a sweet guy and I like watching him play games with his buddies.

And while I don't like toilet humor all that much anymore, my favorite will always be:

"Waterworld. On Virtual Boy.
It's like puking on a pile of shit. "

Nivane

Been a huge fan from around 2007. I'm around the same age as James, so everything he experienced in the Nintendo era I experienced as well, from the weekend game rentals to the home movies of games.

The newer episodes lost the luster the older episodes had, but that was because he had more material, more time, etc. I do agree with others in this thread that the newer episodes feel forced, and that he tries to match the quality and fun of his older episodes but they just can't quite reach it. But as others have said - he's getting older and growing his family. Yeah, adulthood!

I've enjoyed watching his material because it brings back the nostalgia for me hardcore, so I can relate so well. But a recent 'James and Mike' episode really hit it hard in the reality balls. They were doing a long playthrough of a game, and Mike had to leave in the middle of it, so James recorded a second half of just him playing. He was trying to finish it and getting frustrated in doing so. At some point near the end he just had this blank expression on his face and said, "I should stop playing, I have other things I need to get done."

It was that point where it really crushed the childhood whimsy he portrayed; he was already doing this for ten years, but life is catching up with him and he seems to want to move on.

Still watch his videos with my wife. Been a fan of his since the beginning. Watching him come into fatherhood has been a treat. (And seeing him go through struggles is heart wrenching, his video about his fundraiser left me a crying mess)

Definitely has more charm than others in the genre. He seems like a good person who just likes what he likes. He's very relatable.

odhiex

Congratulations James, AVGN is among the first videogames personalities that I really like/love.

To me he is the founding father of let's players and games' youtubers. I also love his moview reviews and board james.

redcrayon

I've always just found James really entertaining to watch, he seems like quite a laid-back guy. Maybe it's his accent, or that he's fairly softly spoken, compared to some other youtubers that I find quite grating.

I prefer his film reviews or just watching him talk about random stuff on J&MM. I like that he doesn't take games too seriously, that content is seemingly random or whatever catches his
eye, and that he doesn't worry too much about the newer stuff. There's loads of other people covering that kind of stuff with let's plays etc.

Board James and the way it matched up reviews with a weird, increasingly creepy back story was just inspired. So good to see some of my old favourites from the 80s appear on it. I think it's probably that James and his pals are about the same age as me and grew up with the same stuff.

jobrro

I don't know when I started watching, maybe around 2010. I like his videos, I liked the movie also for what it was.

I am not a diehard fan I don't watch every LP etc., I don't like toilet humor but find his videos entertaining regardless.

Azoor

It was 2009 when I started watching his videos, you can't deny how influencial he was when it comes to reviewing content on the Internet. A lot of people try to copy his shtick yet never be as good as him. Also him being a film student does help.

smudge

Discovered him around 2010 I think, binge watched most of his videos. Still enjoy his content today, even if it is less ragey. Hat's off to James and his crew.

Sjefen

I dont remember when I started watching his videos but I remember where: Gametrailers. I thought to myself who is this guy, why he so angry, he sure says fuck and shit alot. How is he working for GT. Later on I discovered Cinemassacre website and watched almost every video over a weekend. Discovered Youtube channel and still subed. James is a allround very likeable guy, easy to listen too and makes very good content. Mike however....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Always loved his videos, been watching them since that first Bugs Bunny episode I think.

Don't care much about the toilet humor obscenities coming out of his mouth(he could do without them to be honest), but I sure do love seeing his reactions to shitty games and also learning about unknown shitty games and how shit they are.

mieumieu

I am watching Mike and Ryan talking about Attack on Titan right now.
I like their side things better now cos AVGN itself got a bit too stale. Probably running out of shitty games to talk.

LOUD915

Love AVGN. Huge fan. Like everyone says, the new episodes aren't great, but there is usually a good moment or 2.

I bought the movie as sort of a thank you for the years and years of free entertainment.

Unfortunately, it was terrible.

I find Mike annoying.

My favorite episodes are the Castlevania marathon he did in 2009.

Raitaro

Watched them since the beginning and still watch pretty much each video he or Mike puts up. I think I might like his movie related stuff even more than his game stuff nowadays though, possibly because it's more serious. Though a new AVGN episode always takes precedent the day it comes out. Board James was also a big favorite of mine.

Cinemassacre becomes my second home in October during his fantastic Monster Madness Halloween specials. This years marks the last full one I believe so make sure to watch it if you can.

I discovered the show about a year after it started. I was still in high school...I'm now 26. I'm starting to feel the old haha.

I think the cinemassacre content has gotten better over the years, of course I always have seen his Angry Video Game Nerd persona as an act and entertaining concept so I was never bored or tired or annoyed by that. Still, the more causal way these guys present themselves and the games they play is way more interesting to me now than a scripted and planned out AVGN episode. I still watch them and still like them, but I don't need the extra entertainment via script any longer. I'm fine watching them playing a game on a couch and saying one or two things about the game.

I also think their friends that appear on the channel are a great addition, Bootsy and Ryan.

woopWOOP

Jeez, 10 years already? 12 even if you count the early Youtube episodes. Happy anniversary I suppose!

A lot of his older episodes still make me smile. I never really liked the rehearsed swear-a-thons as much and the 'guest character' episode weren't as great, but overall it's good for a laugh. My favorite episodes are the ones where he's actually pretty informing too. Episodes about entire consoles, but also ones like Street Fighter 2010 which goes deeper into the history of the franchise and all its spinoffs.

Later episodes are a bit hit and miss for me, but every once in awhile he still hits it outta the park!

Camjo-Z

AVGN was consistently great up until around the movie started happening, then it became more hit-and-miss. I think the problem is that he's started to forget the "angry" part of the character, and the line between the eternally incensed Nerd and the generally amicable James starts to get blurred in newer episodes.

Koobion

I've watched since the beginning, and still love the show, even though it is a bit different than it used to be. I actually ended up as an extra in the movie :)

redcrayon

I am watching Mike and Ryan talking about Attack on Titan right now.
I like their side things better now cos AVGN itself got a bit too stale. Probably running out of shitty games to talk.
I don't think he could run out of shitty games
talk about even if he just stuck to console games up to the 16-bit era. There were hundreds of licensed bits of shovelware.

Having said that, I suppose once you've reviewed fifty shitty platformers, how many more would you really want to cover!

Gemeanie

Like some posters I find his recent episodes forced and out of inspiration.

I can however never forget the beautiful moment when he did the landing in Top Gun with Power Glove. He's also pretty much the only Youtube entertainer who doesn't hurt my ears with constant screaming

The_Afroman

Met him a few years back at PAX East. Very cool cat, gave him a Dr Jekell and Mr Hyde fridge magnet.

MbRcCQl.jpg

Javier

It's amazing that after all these years he still manages to make great videos. Sure there's the occasional clunker (Looking at you, Beavis & Butthead), but in general AVGN is still pretty enjoyable.

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout will forever be the best one. "I'll show YOU some funny tricks!"

Chinbo37

I go check out the channel a coupel times a year. Then I usually watch all the AVGNs which game out and check out a couple other videos like James and Mike play or whatever.

AVGN isnt as funny as it was before but its still solid stuff.

Used to be fucking fantastic, but I think it's pretty obvious that Rolfe either ran out of material to do or just got tired of the character. It got kind of by the motions at a certain point.

I'm still very fond of this stuff in general though.

I think the appeal of the early episodes was that he reviewed the games that everyone owned. Games like Top Gun, Simon's Quest, TMNT, Double Dragon 3, etc were games that were in seemingly every kid's NES collection. And everyone basically had the same reaction to seeing them played again: "Man I played the hell out of that game when I was a kid but it was a piece of shit". It was a shared cultural experience for an entire generation of children. Once he ran out of those games and had to start reviewing more obscure (or non NES) games he lost that.

Ever since discovering him in the early days of Youtube back in 2007 I've watched most of his content religiously. Certainly all of his AVGN videos to this day.

Its amazing how much Ive learned from his passion of games and especially movies. His encyclopedic knowledge of old monster movies is astonishing and seeing him talk about them with such passion really rubbed on to me.

I think the peak of the AVGN is behind us but he still releases good ones like the recent-ish Atari Sports episode that had me in stiches or the Crazy Bus one.

His Swordquest, Castlevania Quadrilogy, Plumbers dont wear ties, and CDi episodes deserve to be in the national archives.

Top Bottom