• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Angry Video Game Nerd; 10 Years Later.

shanafan

I watch all their new content. From James and Mike Mondays to Ryan and Mike Talk About Games, I really do enjoy their content.

I don't always agree with their opinions, but I do respect their viewpoints on games. Sometimes, Mike can get a little childish when it comes to toilet humor, but I am used to it.

lazygecko

I much prefer his output on Cinemassacre. It's obvious that is where his true passion lies and I like all the film trivia. AVGN by comparison is not exactly insightful commentary.

Panther2103

Neo Member
I have had fun watching him since the beginning, I was still in highschool at the time. I am glad he evolved over time as well. It made it easier to keep watching. I also really like the games on the PC as well.

Mupod

Don't watch AVGN episodes anymore even though I've always considered him on a whole other level from most of the youtube pretenders. He just has a magnetism to him and he's fun to watch.

Now Monster Madness I watch every year the instant they go up. I don't watch a lot of movies in general but I find older horror movies fascinating. His videos are both entertaining and enlightening, can't wait for this year's MM.

Balb

I much prefer his output on Cinemassacre. It's obvious that is where his true passion lies and I like all the film trivia. AVGN by comparison is not exactly insightful commentary.

I think he did everything he set out to do with AVGN and is kinda stretching for ideas outside of his comfort zone at this point.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll always appreciate the work Rolfe put into this, the right mix of silliness, earnest love or dislike for certain games and just being something of a trendsetter in general in an internet now buried under many "personalities", many of which claim to be angry.

I will forever love the Ninja Gaiden episode.
"When you get hit you gravitate towards the nearest hole!"
"You must see beyond the screen"
Such truth in these statements.

Ninja Gaiden is probably my favorite of his as well.

I have shifted more towards his Monster Madness specials over his AVGN reviews but I still love a lot of his AVGN reviews. Theres classic episodes I go back and watch from time to time. Rolfe has a career discussing and making videos about his passions. He seems pretty appreciative of his fans. I respect it

Don't watch AVGN episodes anymore even though I've always considered him on a whole other level from most of the youtube pretenders. He just has a magnetism to him and he's fun to watch.

Now Monster Madness I watch every year the instant they go up. I don't watch a lot of movies in general but I find older horror movies fascinating. His videos are both entertaining and enlightening, can't wait for this year's MM.

Well then enjoy it to the fullest since this year's apparently his very last Monster Madness marathon after 10 years of straight up MM.. He confirmed it in a short video a few months ago.

Mupod

Well then enjoy it to the fullest since this year's apparently his very last Monster Madness marathon after 10 years of straight up MM.. He confirmed it in a short video a few months ago.

Damn, that sucks.

In the end I guess there's a finite number of interesting movies to cover so I knew it couldn't go forever. He's done a few years where he scaled it back a bit as well.

Shikoba

Wow, I can't believe it has been that long. Used to watch AVGN and Board James all the time with my brothers. I still enjoy going back and watching the old ones. I'll have to check out some of the newer stuff.

Justinh

His Castlevania II review is still the best one. That last part where he mentions the ending sucking too is the hardest I've ever laughed in any of his videos.
I think I agree with this. I remember the first time I watched it I was all "Who is this asshole? Castlevania 2 was awesome!" He did have some good points though, and I just kinda followed him from there.
My favorite episode might have to be the Spiderman one, though. That part when Spiderman goes "Well, you're talking to me" had me laughing so hard when I first saw that.
It is. Castlevania 2 came out in 2004.
Yeah, but I think they weren't uploaded to Youtube until 2006 when he actually became the "Nintendo Nerd."

I think the fact that he's so much out of character and shows off that he's actually a pretty likable guy does a lot with his staying power, and honestly, probably why I can even stand him after noping out of others who just are always screaming.

I think there's some kind of format change to Monster Madness this year, unfortunately. I can't remember too well what it was exactly, lemme find the announcement.
Oh, thank God, at least one more year of one per night.

Piano

Banned
I've been watching since the beginning, when I was just a teenager. Over time I've come to appreciate subtlety in humor more and more, so the episodes that have aged the best are the ones where he mixes humor with some analysis (Sega CD, Silver Surfer) or plays off of the content well (Bible Games) instead of just going on endless cursing rants or doing dumb cringeworthy skits where the characters shit on each others' faces or whatever. I never, ever rewatch the skit episodes.

It's the same pattern with his other series. They were good until they got too over the top.

Board James was great when it was actually about the board games, not just him and his friends yelling at each other.

You Know What's Bullshit was great until he started wearing a shitpile mask for some reason.

Sometimes I can still enjoy James & Mike Mondays, even though Mike is eh.

Really love James Rolfe videos. He's so good at making these things, From AVGN to Monster Madness and ...
Can't wait for Monster Madness 10! I hope it'll be like past years, not like some episodes of 2015.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't really laugh out loud at his stuff, but it's almost like a comfort thing to watch AVGN videos at night.

This is how I feel, the scatological humor and swearing has gotten a bit old, but I like seeing some of the more ridiculous and obscure games he sometimes shows (Hong Kong '97 for instance). Every now and then he strikes gold.

Balb

Damn, that sucks.

In the end I guess there's a finite number of interesting movies to cover so I knew it couldn't go forever. He's done a few years where he scaled it back a bit as well.

I don't think it's because there's a shortage of interesting movies. I think it's a matter of not having enough time. Otherwise he'd probably do them for the rest of his life.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Holy shit! Feels like past week those videos.

I watched as soon as it came out on Screwattack.com and it was the shit! Since that I started to follow Cinemassacre.com to watch movie reviews and even those extras with younger James.

Good stuff.

LiK

I don't like the AVGN persona anymore. I like when he's himself and playing games with Mike instead.

I love the AVGN! I even took a mini road trip with my GF and saw his movie in Chicago and met the Nostalgia Critic! I still frequent Cinemassacre, I enjoy most of the content he does.

Damn, that sucks.

It's more that it just eats up crap ton of time. Just the research for something like Monster Madness would be a gigantic pain in the ass, then comes watching everything, writing the reviews, and so on.

Also, this isn't the last Monster Madness full-stop, but it is the last full 31 video marathon.

Realeza

Banned
Man, the early years of AVGN were the best comedy material you could find in YouTube. Some of the later episodes seem forced and not as funny, but still, Rolfe seems to put his heart in the production of this series.

Great stuff.

Favorite episode of mine: Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

Been watching since Castlevania 2 iirc. I've come to prefer his Monster Madness series versus avgn stuff though. It sounds like he really loves the horror genre and it's a joy listening to him share his opinions and factoids on these films. Can't wait for the next.

NJD316

Neo Member
Was there when he had like 6 videos and was still called The Angry Nintendo Nerd. The Nintendo Power episode is a highlight for me.

I've been watching him regularly since around 2011. His older stuff is still the best but I still enjoy his newer videos. I still go back and watch the older videos from time to time. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, Action 52, and any of the hardware episodes remain my favorites.

I wish many more years of success to James and the rest of Cinemassacre.

So many classic quotes:

"Bimmy isn't even a real name!"
"I'd have more fun playing with dog turds"
"You can just walk over???!!!"
"Don't kill me!" Freddy holds up Friday NES cart. "Kill me!"
"Where did their hair go?"

I still like the channel, but more for the other shows, though AVGN is still decent. I feel like Mike has really kept Cinemassacre fresh over the last few years.

Really liked AVGN ten years ago - and like most things I was into when I was 21, I look back and cringe. In my opinion, none of it holds up and the whole Ghostbusters thing shifted my opinion of James from general antipathy to minor disdain.

Yeah, I enjoy his movie videos more than the game videos. I liked his road trips to the Dawn of the Dead mall and Night of the Living Dead cemetery and monster madness is always a highlight.

The AVGN was the reason I began to be a regular Gametrailers.com user. Anyone here remember those years where Rolfe had us on a constant new AVGN episode every other week? He had that grueling schedule for two full years releasing two a month. Easily his most prolific time but also his most difficult. He still managed to pull a lot of great ones during that time. His work schedule must've been horrific.

My favorite episode is probably NES Accessories.

"While the LaserScope surrounds the player with the sounds of exciting gameplay action, non players can listen to music, read a book, talk on the phone or have a conversation in the same room." Yeah, while you're saying "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!"

It's more that it just eats up crap ton of time. Just the research for something like Monster Madness would be a gigantic pain in the ass, then comes watching everything, writing the reviews, and so on.

Also, this isn't the last Monster Madness full-stop, but it is the last full 31 video marathon.

Yeah I remember he did a video on how he makes the AVGN videos. The amount of time and effort required to make just one episode is pretty staggering. Throw the fact that he has a wife and a daughter, I dont blame him for the slow output nowadays.

His Plumber's Don't Wear Ties video was amazing.

I love that one, probaly my favorite of his but the episode with metal jesus comes close to it. I like most of his videos some of the more recent ones dont hook me but his older ones are classics. Now i prefer his movie reviews and analysis over his avgn videos.

entremet

I remember when he was called the Angry "Nintendo" Nerd.

Some of his best videos were about the challenging NES games--Ninja Gaiden.

PaulBizkit

Curiously enough, the first rant video I ever watched was a Where's Waldo one made by Terrible NES Theatre or something. And he referenced the AVGN.

Then, thanks to a forum i used to visit, i watched the 3 or 4 Nintendo Nerd episodes that had come at that point and the journey began

AVGN is still a favorite to watch and I enjoy all of the content on Cinemassacre. I'm around the same age as Rolfe and his friends, so seeing all those old TMNT and Ghostbuster toys brings me back to my childhood. They bring up a lot of stuff that I enjoyed as a kid. TV shows, movies, toys and whatever. It's almost like hanging out with my friends when I watch their shows.

Curiously enough, the first rant video I ever watched was a Where's Waldo one made by Terrible NES Theatre or something. And he referenced the AVGN.

Then, thanks to a forum i used to visit, i watched the 3 or 4 Nintendo Nerd episodes that had come at that point and the journey began

I saw Irate Gamer first...didn't see AVGN until like a year later.

Man does Irate Gamer suck.

dukeoflegs

I was there day one and loved it. Sometimes I would go awhile with out watching any of the episodes and come back and watch a large chunk of them at once. I think James as person grew in my mind when he did the trivia videos, or walked showed of his movie collection, and when he did the Monster Madness. I still watch the AVGN episodes, hell I worked on the movie which was interesting and fun, but I really look forward to more of his side projects, inside glimpses, and his own movies. He reinvigorated my love of classic monster movies, B movies, and over the top gore movies.

I randomly watched a newer video of his some weeks ago, and the AVGN got off on a such a long tirade of completely idiotic and childish ranting that by the time he was done I forgot what he was even upset about. The persona has completely changed into some kind of post-Youtube freak show now.

Top Bottom