• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Angry Video Game Nerd; 10 Years Later.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not really a fan. Watched a few. Was funny every once in a while. My 7 year old nephew loved it when he screamed bad language though. He is much better during the Cinemassacre Halloween specials. He not only knows what hes talking about with the horror movies but its not just a string of profanities.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
I remember watching the first few episodes of this in my last days of high school, and I was a huge fan, mostly because my parents were pretty strict with me and playing video games, so getting a look from somebody who was able to share the experience of those old games was excellent.

My favorite episodes tended to be the ones for hardware, since I found them very informative on top of being funny. I also really enjoy his multi-part episodes like the Castlevaniathon and the ones that coincided with big name movie releases like Indiana Jones. The ones I didn't like as much usually were the ones that involved some rather obnoxious special guests, but I do give him credit for trying new things.

...now I feel like going back and rewatching some of it again. Nostalgic for nostalgia.

Savitar

I can't remember when I began watching, so long ago, seen them all and only one I disliked was the Beavis and Butthead one. I've laughed so hard at the other stuff, rewatched more than a few as well. Really great stuff and he's definitely left his mark, I mean look at all the people who's basically copied his whole thing but you can't beat his style.

That said I hate the stuff with Mike.

Raw64life

Definitely started watching his videos pretty early although I can't remember how early. Haven't watched them in a long time but there are definitely a bunch of classic episodes I can still recall lines from. Cool to see him still pop episodes out every once in a while.

I wonder why he never got on Twitch or anything like that.

III-V

I binge watched a lot of this stuff a few years back. Its fun to reminisce on some of this. AVGN is good for a laugh.

Maybe you should not be posting in a thread until you know what you're talking about. He made a review video about a bad trailer for a bad movie, yes. It hasn't been brought up because it's well known by now that those who had an issue with it are ridiculous people with nothing substantial to say.

Okay, fuck it, you're making a blanket statement that happens to include me so I'll take that as a direct challenge.

First of all, anybody who threw a temper tantrum over the new Ghostbusters is immediately suspect. It's like having a Confederate flag in your home - I will acknowledge the 1% chance that you are an intelligent, well-adjusted, reasonable history buff. But you're in some real questionable company.

Same deal here. Anybody who didn't react the way they reacted to every other shitty '80s reboot - which is to say, shrugged their shoulders and moved on - is in bad, bad company.

Now pay attention here, because here's all the credit I'll give Rolfe: he didn't say anything obscenely offensive or shitty about the movie or the people starring in it.

That's all. His video was the worst kind of 'I'm going to defend a shitty point of view using the mildest possible language in an attempt to make it look valid and reasonable.' He didn't have anything substantive to say whatsoever. It was a rambling, wishy-washy mess.

So he didn't say anything that deserves scorn, but nor was it this completely innocent stance that is above criticism.

Was there from the very first review, when I was 13 years old. At the time thought, "hahaha, he swears a lot, that's funny" and his schtick was particularly fresh and interesting.

After a decade, and a million different copycats, it got really old, how many times has he said 'shit'? The real James Rolfe is far more interesting and witty when he wants to be. Still, his impact on video gaming on YouTube can't be exaggerated, though. He was one of the first to do it, and inspired loads of different genres and styles. Whereas others slowly melted away, James continued for 10 years.

Seamen was incredible.

Krejlooc

Banned
Okay, fuck it, you're making a blanket statement that happens to include me so I'll take that as a direct challenge.

First of all, anybody who threw a temper tantrum over the new Ghostbusters is immediately suspect. It's like having a Confederate flag in your home - I will acknowledge the 1% chance that you are an intelligent, well-adjusted, reasonable history buff. But you're in some real questionable company.

Same deal here. Anybody who didn't react the way they reacted to every other shitty '80s reboot - which is to say, shrugged their shoulders and moved on - is in bad, bad company.

Now pay attention here, because here's all the credit I'll give Rolfe: he didn't say anything obscenely offensive or shitty about the movie or the people starring in it.

That's all. His video was the worst kind of 'I'm going to defend a shitty point of view using the mildest possible language in an attempt to make it look valid and reasonable.' He didn't have anything substantive to say whatsoever. It was a rambling, wishy-washy mess.

So he didn't say anything that deserves scorn, but nor was it this completely innocent stance that is above criticism.

As someone who really liked Ghostbusters 2016 and felt like there really was a misogynistic backlash to the movie, I don't feel like James Rolfe made that video because he harbors sexist feelings about the movie. Rather, I think Jame Rolfe made that video because he's an incredibly geeky nerd, and maybe a bit egotistic too. His reasons for avoiding Ghostbusters 2016 weren't rooted in sexism, they were rooted in nerdliness. He publicly took a stance against seeing the new movie out of some sort of obligation he felt to uphold the "honor" of his series.

It's a cringe-worthy response to the new movie, but not offensive. I think most people mistook his nerdliness for sexism.

Lothar

Banned

What you call a temper tantrum was actually a calm video saying he didn't want to see it since it looks like trash. He even allowed that it may be better the trailer, and it may be good, but it still didn't look like something he'd be interested in. He admits he's biased and says he doesn't want a new cast. He's also bothered by the title. None of this is new.

He's always had an issue with titles. Look at how he reacts to Rocky Balboa. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVzPCY2T-g#t=5m34s

He says here in 2007 that a new Ghostbusters with a different cast like Ben Stiller wouldn't be Ghostbusters. http://cinemassacre.com/2007/08/03/ghostbusters-3-my-honest-thoughts/

Why doesn't he react to every 80s reboot? Perhaps he cares more about Ghostbusters. All the videos he did it on would suggest so. http://cinemassacre.com/?s=ghostbusters He toured locations from the film. Did he do that for every 80s film? Probably not.

Any real criticism has to take these into account. Just going "Durr why doesn't he react this way to everything?" isn't criticism. It's ridiculous.

Lothar

Banned
Mike is awesome and under appreciated. This tweet sums up Mike.

CrtR5HQ.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
James is the man, and the Nerd is always fun. Sure he's had weak moments, but every show does.

I actually enjoy the Nostalgia Critic despite what people think here. I appreciate the effort he puts in every week, and how he's evolved things over time. Sometimes not for the best (Demo Reel was a disaster) but you can see where he's going.

Now you want to talk garbage, look no further than the Irate Gamer. It's not just that he's a rip-off, it's that he knows NOTHING. He clearly didn't play games as a kid, at least to the extent that other reviewers did. He knows nothing about design or control or what makes a good game great or a bad game awful. He's a fraud. These days, he just posts ads on his channel, likely to funnel money into his "secret" side channel Minecraft Puppet Steve. Look it up, it's shockingly bad.

Kinhow

I'll never forget the fred fuchs joke. I laughed so hard back then and I laughed so hard now. I love the acting in this part!

Can we stop with the Ghostbusters shit? This thread isn't supposed to be about that, there is one you can bump back when he made the video if you want to argue about it again.

That tweet makes me want to tell him to shut the fuck up, so I feel it really does sum him up well.
Honestly though, even if you like sports ball why would you want to watch a game midway through or old highlights or whatever?

Krejlooc

Banned
Honestly though, even if you like sports ball why would you want to watch a game midway through or old highlights or whatever?

Because football goes on all day, and sometimes you have to eat. It's nice to be able to go someplace and continue watching the day's worth of football without having to be home.

In fact, many businesses put on football specifically so people can go there and watch all day.

But the real reason that tweet is so annoying is that it's seeped in this "us vs them" mentality. Considering the way Mike Matei likes RPGs and SRPGs and games like that, he has no reason to hate football, other than it being heavy on jock culture.

BTM

Will always love AVGN. The first time I watched the Bible Games episode was probably the hardest I've ever laughed.

I still rather enjoy his shows, though I do it in bursts now instead of checking for each new video like I used to. I can't even remember why I started watching him. I started in 2008, so maybe heard about him in my early days here.

AVGN was really good, from what I recall, up through Street Fighter 2010.. There may have been more good ones around then, but you could tell he didn't want to do it anymore, and they became simpler, less fun, less produced.

He's at his best when it's completely scripted, and when he had a kind of story going on aside from the review, with guest characters and monsters and whatever.

I still intend to see the movie, but most of the videos I've seen of him lately are just him and Mike talking about games as they play them. That's okay, but nothing like when he was in his prime.

Reading internet comments probably killed his soul.

Clockwork5

I discovered him about 4 years ago. I have greatly enjoyed his videos.

I watch their Monday show from time to time, it's a good time and they are pretty laid back. You can tell they have been friends for a while.

That tweet makes me want to tell him to shut the fuck up, so I feel it really does sum him up well.

You want to tell him to shut the fuck up because of THAT?

Not everyone likes football, but it's all sports, all the time. Would be interesting for something different for once, or another option at least. that's some weird uncalled for aggression you have there.

He was the genesis of all of the "angry" ranting
autistic
game personalities like Sterling and Joe, so yeah, barf city. Tried an episode once and couldn't do it. That style is the exact opposite of what I want in an entertainment personality.

Or he just didn't want to see the movie because he didn't like what he saw in the trailers also some people can't stand reboots of their favorite movies either. For example the trailers for Terminator Genysis looked like trash and it was an unnecessary reboot so I decided I wasn't going to support it even though I'm a huge fan of Terminator 1 and 2.

I love Jame's videos everything Cinemassacre puts out. One of my favorites is when he loses it on the Batman Forever game that has to be one of the top moments. Can't wait for this years Monster Madness.

Was there in 2007, while I haven't watched a AVGN vid since 2011, I still enjoy the content he puts out in regards of movies. Rolfe introduced me a lot of films through his monster madness stuff.

I think it's more a case of his anger not feeling genuine anymore over time. It became more and less empty anger and that wasn't funny.

He gets into this fake, whiny voice to display his supposed misery, but it's obvious that he lacks any kind of emotion for most of the games he reviews at this point. It's something he has to do rather than something he's doing for fun.

I'm still a huge fan of his older material, but get a "new Simpsons" feel from everything he does nowadays. J&MM's is terrible, imo. There are so many better options for Let's Plays. Neither James or the guy who leeches off of him are charismatic enough without a script for this kind of thing. It's just two grown men with shit-eating grins acting like silly preteens starting a YouTube channel for the first time. At least it has decent production values.

Nerokis

I remember watching a handful of his videos back in the day, and being aware he was a pretty significant internet personality. But it actually wasn't until earlier this year that I consumed a good amount of his content, and yeah, it's wonderful comfort food. I've now seen the Battletoads AVGN video around 6 times, and I have a new respect for games like Double Dragon.

For some reason, until I read through this thread, it didn't occur to me to check out his movie stuff. Now I'm excited to do so.

Velikost

I really enjoyed AVGN back in the day. I think he was one of the first Youtube accounts I subscribed to when I finally made a Youtube account like 6-7 years ago or whatever. Unfortunately I think most of his new videos are pretty bad, and I never finished watching his movie. I think it all went downhill when he started trying to shoehorn his boy Mike into his channel. James always seemed like a cool dude, but his AVGN videos are heavily scripted, and the majority of the shit he uploads now is shot off the cuff, and I don't think he's naturally funny. I check in with him every once in awhile but nothing has stood out to me

ayy lmao

What you call a temper tantrum was actually a calm video saying he didn't want to see it since it looks like trash.

When I refer to temper tantrums, I'm basically saying any response other than 'oh, a movie that doesn't look good. This is something I see literally every day of my life. This is not a big deal.'

Making a public proclamation that you aren't going to see the movie qualifies as a manbaby response in my book.

Any real criticism has to take these into account. Just going "Durr why doesn't he react this way to everything?" isn't criticism. It's ridiculous.

None of what you posted has any bearing on my criticism. I'm not saying Rolfe reacted the way the worst of the worst did. I fully acknowledge that his video was even-tempered.

I'm commenting on the underlying attitude. The video was still cringey because he couldn't (in my opinion, wouldn't) say anything substantive. It was inarticulate, wishy-washy, and just weird. Even if I assume that none of his issues had to do with gender (which I do not concede), it was a whole load of nothing.

If you actually want me to go back and rewatch the video so as to be more clear for you, I will. I watched it once when it was released.

As someone who really liked Ghostbusters 2016 and felt like there really was a misogynistic backlash to the movie, I don't feel like James Rolfe made that video because he harbors sexist feelings about the movie. Rather, I think Jame Rolfe made that video because he's an incredibly geeky nerd, and maybe a bit egotistic too. His reasons for avoiding Ghostbusters 2016 weren't rooted in sexism, they were rooted in nerdliness. He publicly took a stance against seeing the new movie out of some sort of obligation he felt to uphold the "honor" of his series.

It's a cringe-worthy response to the new movie, but not offensive. I think most people mistook his nerdliness for sexism.

Well, I totally agree that his response was cringey and egotistical.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Loved his early stuff. Fell out of it quickly though. Never really watched Cinemassacre. No interest. As for the Ghostbusters thing? I just chalked it up to him doing what all old shits do when a reboot hits. Whine about it a bit. =P Nostalgia is a bitch.

I used to watch the old ones as they came out, even when I was in primary school! (I know). Now I'm in university and mostly watch some classics I remember and the odd movie review/random video. That said I only watch James' stuff, don't care about anyone else really but Mike is fine in their joint vids.

Been a fan since he first entered the youtube, I still watch him from time to time. I was absolutely thrilled to be an extra in his movie and this thread made me remember that time fucking flies.

Mentok

Banned
Absolutely loved AVGN, particularly when he covered games I owned. He removed the rose-coloured glasses to point out that even classic consoles had a ton of shitty games.

Renekton

Making a public proclamation that you aren't going to see the movie qualifies as a manbaby response in my book.

None of what you posted has any bearing on my criticism. I'm not saying Rolfe reacted the way the worst of the worst did. I fully acknowledge that his video was even-tempered.

I'm commenting on the underlying attitude. The video was still cringey because he couldn't (in my opinion, wouldn't) say anything substantive. It was inarticulate, wishy-washy, and just weird. Even if I assume that none of his issues had to do with gender (which I do not concede), it was a whole load of nothing.

If you actually want me to go back and rewatch the video so as to be more clear for you, I will. I watched it once when it was released.

Well, I totally agree that his response was cringey and egotistical.
Well your ad hominems like calling him a manbaby speaks far more about you than him.

Lothar

Banned
I think it all went downhill when he started trying to shoehorn his boy Mike into his channel.

You think that's what happening? It's more like Mike is the channel now. He has 3 series (James and Mike, Mike and Bootsy, Mike and Ryan) each week plus 130 livestreams in the last year. Mike lives there. James is busy and doing other things.

When I refer to temper tantrums, I'm basically saying any response other than 'oh, a movie that doesn't look good. This is something I see literally every day of my life. This is not a big deal.'

This made me laugh out loud. What? And that's not what a temper tantrum is.

I was pointing out to you that this is the way he has always talked about movies and a new Ghostbusters. Even back in 2007. If you find it cringey, then you've always found it cringey. If it's load of nothing, then it's always a load of nothing. This one in particular standing out and being an issue is on you. It's not outside the norm for him. This is how he criticizes movies. If you don't concede that it had nothing to do with gender after seeing the 2007 video where he talks about Ben Stiller being a Ghostbuster, then don't bother watching his review again. What would be the point? You're just believing what you want to believe.

I find your post cringier than the video for using the word "Cringey"

Red Frost

Banned
this is apparently meant to be an appreciation thread, so i'll leave it alone, but people haven't forgotten his part in that mess. plus, like someone else mentioned, he's a big part of the awful whiny/obnoxious/angry attitude that plagues the gaming world.

FYI, this is the mindset that led to people harassing him and his wife online.

I started watching AVGN during high school and I was hooked. I remembered being so pissed off with NES and SNES when I was a kid and it was refreshing (at the time) to see someone express how I felt. I normally don't think excessive cussing is funny, (I don't mind an occasional fucking god damn shit ass motherfucker once in a while) but he nailed the excessive foul language when playing a fustrating game.

I really like some of his new stuff. Although, I didn't like the Beavis and Butthead episode for some reason. I also really like his monster movie marathon reviews. James knows his shit when it comes to classic horror films.

Spman2099

I have watched quite a few episodes. Which is actually pretty funny, because I think they are very, very bad. I found them charming at first, but the shtick ran thin pretty quickly. Yet, I still occasionally watch a random episode here and there. I never enjoy them, but I still find myself watching them. The AVGN fanbase will never cease to amaze me; the humor is just so incredibly lazy, yet there is an army of people dedicated to "The Nerd".

That being said, I don't mind the James and Mike videos. Neither of them are particularly clever or insightful people, but they are likable enough.

Defuser

people want to bury their heads in the sand when it's someone they like. whatever.

If this your kind of response you can only reply by writing off then it only goes to show what kind of childish ignorant mentality you have. You ask the question, people answer why and you just handwave them off. Did you even watch the video or did you just became a sheep by following the masses blindly?

Top Bottom