• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Anime Expo 2015 thread of 100,000 people taking over LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I am part of the Anime Industry, so aside from photography, I am doing the Industry Parties.

Nice and I figured as much but just wanted to pass that info on that junket is back.

But yeah, they're hoping that tents will be up sooner and pre-reg is better due to mailing it out premier badges and having people get their stuff ready for scanning during pickup.

We shall see though what worries me are how many times the fire marshals will be called out to alleviate hazards/people passing out due to not having water/etc.

oh god the linessssssssss

even worse is that I have to charge walk briskly down to kyoani and mangagamers on the first day to get their stuff before it sells out

looking forward to the panels at least

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
We shall see though what worries me are how many times the fire marshals will be called out to alleviate hazards/people passing out due to not having water/etc.

I saw the fire marshal running around on Saturday telling the staff to empty out the lines on West Hall meeting rooms. Here is hoping that Anime Expo has its line management planned to keep the Fire Marshal happy.

Woo! Hoping people enjoy what we have planned for the show.

Yes, I am doing two Puzzle and Dragons photoshoots during Anime Expo. I can forward you my favorite pics once the convention is done :)

even worse is that I have to charge down to kyoani and mangagamers on the first day to get their stuff before it sells out

Yeah, getting the good swag is hard. At least you have a game plan.

Wow, this will be the 17th time in a row for AX for me. Still can't get over how much its grown since 1999.

I'll say this thought, for the pre-reg line: Yeah, its bad, but its pure heaven compared to the early days.

CodeNfX

Wow, this will be the 17th time in a row for AX for me. Still can't get over how much its grown since 1999.

I'll say this thought, for the pre-reg line: Yeah, its bad, but its pure heaven compared to the early days.

This will be my 3rd year in a row. The line to pick up the badge was terrible last year, I waited 5 hours in the blazing sun. Hopefully they improve this year, especially with 100,000 attendees.

Hcoregamer00

This will be my 3rd year in a row. The line to pick up the badge was terrible last year, I waited 5 hours in the blazing sun. Hopefully they improve this year, especially with 100,000 attendees.

4th year in a row. At this point it's a tradition.

That's nice, a mix of experienced attendees and some who are less experienced.

I am somewhere in between, this would be my 12th Anime Expo

I used to get really lucky in those early days from knowing people or taking advantage of AX Helpers who screwed up the lines to move my way forward but I used to hear of people who waited all damn day just to get their badge. The pre-reg line at least moves these days and doesn't stay stopped for long.

And at least I don't have to have a surprise eyefull of Man-Faye like back in pre reg line for '01 or '02. I didn't have to turn around to have an idea where he walked as the screams/cries/laughs in the distance were a good marker point.

Define 'early days.' It was hell in the late 90s. Pure hell.

Compared to now? 5-8+ hours of waiting in line back in 1999-2000 for under 50K attendance? The last four years I haven't had to wait longer than two hours if I make it by 8:30 in the morning.

Jacob

I've been going to Otakon for a few years since it's practically in my backyard, but I would love to attend AX one year if I can make the scheduling work and afford the plane and hotel fare. Hope everyone who's going has a great time! 100,000 attendees is a crazy milestone; very cool.

OceanBlue

This is my first time at Anime Expo. Pretty excited. Never been to a large anime convention before. I feel like I should come up with a schedule lol.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Bring sunblock people, you will get in line under the sun a lot. Even some of the indoor panel will make you line up outside because of some fire department bs.

Hcoregamer00

This is my first time at Anime Expo. Pretty excited. I feel like I should come up with a schedule lol.

Anime Expo is such a crazy convention that you probably do need to schedule in advance if you REALLY want to do something, since it requires lots of line sitting. In the past when Anime Expo was hovering at 42,000 to 45,000 attendees from 2006 to 2012, you could pretty much do any panel you wanted and did any main event you wanted to do.

Now with Anime Expo hitting 100,000 unique attendees, either you line up early for a panel you want, or you don't get in the panel at all.

Bring sunblock people, you will get in line under the sun a lot. Even some of the indoor panel will make you line up outside because of some fire department bs.

Sorry, it is not some "fire department bs"

The Fire Marshal is at Anime Expo to make sure that if a disaster happens, that you can evacuate the building safely.

OceanBlue

Anime Expo is such a crazy convention that you probably do need to schedule in advance if you REALLY want to do something, since it requires lots of line sitting. In the past when Anime Expo was hovering at 42,000 to 45,000 attendees from 2006 to 2012, you could pretty much do any panel you wanted and did any main event you wanted to do.

Now with Anime Expo hitting 100,000 unique attendees, either you line up early for a panel you want, or you don't get in the panel at all.

How early should you be? Should I leave an hour or something between panels for lines?

I'm going to be there all 4 days so hopefully I can get some time where I'm just leisurely looking around.

Hcoregamer00

How early should you be? Should I leave an hour or something between panels for lines?

I'm going to be there all 4 days so hopefully I can get some time where I'm just leisurely looking around.

Honestly, I can't really say, since Anime Expo is going into brave new (crazy) territory hitting 100,000 unique attendees. With the big attendance jumps, it is hard to gauge anything with lines since this is new to everyone, even for the people running Anime Expo.

Depends on how big the properties are or how big the company making the announcement is.

Funimation's had some pretty big lines that some people waited a few hours beforehand. The Sailor Moon one I nearly didn't get into and managed to sneak in. Which reminds me.

If you are turned away if they say they're full for one of the larger panels wait a bit as there will undoubtedly be a few seats open once things are settled.

Last year was the only hard time ive ever had getting into panels and that was manly for the big stuff. As long as you plan well, its not hard. Also have a back up in case you cant get into something. Just expect to wait in line.

even worse is that I have to charge walk briskly down to kyoani and mangagamers on the first day to get their stuff before it sells out

Best part of not doing press this year but will be an exhibitor - getting in early to scope out what I'm gonna buy lol.

I'll be there at the GungHo booth. Come say hi!

Will do!

Anyways, our media/promotions outlet, we're the team who usually covers the NISA party in SF, will be hosting our very first guests this year. The popular South Korean cosplay tandem Aza and Hori! Come by booth 63 and say hello to them!

11537529_914804791916777_8281322402564394830_o.jpg

Additionally I will not be attending the con, as a member of the press, but rather the Degica booth helping out my friend at booth 53 along with auron_kale on days 2-4.

Yeah, getting the good swag is hard. At least you have a game plan.

Only good I don't want anything from GSC since I know that will be a crazy long line.

This is my first time at Anime Expo. Pretty excited. Never been to a large anime convention before. I feel like I should come up with a schedule lol.

Yes, schedule, definitely schedule. Choose what panels you want to see and plan your day around them.

Last year, a lot of lines of panels started out pretty early. I remember I probably waited 30-40 minutes for the Danganronpa one and I waited for a similar time for the NISA panel.

Best part of not doing press this year but will be an exhibitor - getting in early to scope out what I'm gonna buy lol.

boo hiss

Only good I don't want anything from GSC since I know that will be a crazy long line.

Yes, schedule, definitely schedule. Choose what panels you want to see and plan your day around them.

Last year, a lot of lines of panels started out pretty early. I remember I probably waited 30-40 minutes for the Danganronpa one and I waited for a similar time for the NISA panel.

boo hiss

heyy you're going? wonder with who? =P jk jk

Going with some gaffers. I bought a premier pass so I don't have to ever worry about lines.

Just go through stuff. Heading to GSC for friends asap since I have an hour exclusive on day 1 in the exhibit hall.

Probably going to shop around and stuff.

Zero Escape 3 panel is my priority. Probably bringing my danganronpa cases to get signed if the writer is there...

Feep

Banned
So I just decided I'm going to try performing at Last Comic Standing, a stand-up show at AX. I've never done stand-up before, so this is obviously going to go great. If I make it to the finals, I'll post in here!

Also, that ZE3 announcement. plz.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I bought a ticket this year instead of mooching off free entry.

I'm not super keen on doing anything (haven't even looked at what's planned) or going to panels. I'll say hi to some people I know, browse artist alley, then try to find stuff to do that is chill and without a lot of cringe.
Any suggestions? Probably meetup stuff sounds the best?

Going again this year. I've got my premier pass delivered a few weeks ago, so I'm ready to go in as soon as the doors open.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My partner and I are going for the third year in a row, pretty excited to get down there. The line experience last year was awful. At one point I got left out in the sun for 30 minutes past the start of the panel until they'd let us in. We are staying at the JW Marriott this year so we are hoping to be able to be a bit more social. We want to make con friends haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom