• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The annual 'What are you reading thread' # 98650486 ?

Matt_09

PKD-Do-Androids-Dream-of-Electric-Sheep.png

Simply Amazing!

0752864319.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

After reading 'Do Androids Dream..' I picked up Minority Report and I am loving it so far. The book is made up of 5 short stories including Minority Report and 'We Can Remember it for you Wholesale' ( Filmed as Total Recall)

I would highly recommend these books to anyone interested in Sci Fi of just great fiction.

gvandale

Chuck P's "Choke"
Hemingway's "For whom the bell tolls"
Sol Yuricks "The Warriors"
*can't remember name/author* but it's about a ancient civilization that spawned s.america etc.

Up Next: Maddox "The alphabet of Manliness"

Currently, Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Also in the middle of some Richard Matheson short stories and Borges' Collected Fictions.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My friend gave me a book she just finished reading and wanted me to read, and I'll probably read it today: The Five People You Meet In Heaven. It's pretty short, so whatever.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
0679758941.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

0765302942.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So far so good. I've always liked Wolfe.

0596009410.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I plan on picking this up tonight as I'm going to be a "first time" Mac user.

Eric P

What Eric Is Currently Reading As Of 5/22/06:

The Faithful Spy - Alex Berenson
The Great God Pan- A. Machen
The Yellow Sign- Richard W Chambers
Flesh Gothic- Edward Lee
Optimum Sports Nutrition - Dr. Michael Colgan
60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Washington DC- Paul Elliot

Magazines I Read on a Regular Basis:
The New Yorker
Bookmarks
The Believer
Rue Morgue
Video Watchdog
Mental Floss
Harper's Bazaar
Seed
business 2.0

006085152X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written by Tom Jones, an astronaut from my home town of Essex, Maryland (near Baltimore). My mom is friends with his mom, she got me a personally autographed copy. :)

inSpace_small.jpg

Forsete

bokfram.jpg

Per Olof Sundmans "Ingenjör Andrées luftfärd" (English title of the movie "The Flight of the Eagle" not sure if the book itself is available in English)
Since I can’t find the movie anywhere, I'll just have to read the book on which the movie is based.

Its a novel based on a true story. Its about S.A. Andrée and his two companions (Knut Fraenkel and Nils Strindberg) who in 1897 embark on a daring expedition, they will try to cross the north pole in a balloon. They of course fail, and land on the arctic ice just three days after the departure. They spend the next 80 days on the ice trying to get back and they eventually reach White Island where they die sometime in October.
The camp is found 33 years later by another expedition. The expedition find the bodies of the three explorers together with their almost complete diaries and photographs taken by Nils Strindberg.

an08.jpg

The photographs: http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/zwoje41/text08p.htm

I still reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King, it is a long book.

I'm looking for a book I heard someone talk of on the radio station I listen to while going to work. They said if you liked reading the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons you will like this. The only thing is I can't remember the name, I thought they said it was called "The Genesis Project" or something like that, but I couldn't find it. It involves a geneticist who lives close to the Vatican and he is cloning people from relics of saints and someone from Opus Dei is eliminating the clones. If anyone knows what the title of the book is, please tell.

gvandale

Benadryl Hitman said:

I'm looking for a book I heard someone talk of on the radio station I listen to while going to work. They said if you liked reading the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons you will like this. The only thing is I can't remember the name, I thought they said it was called "The Genesis Project" or something like that, but I couldn't find it. It involves a geneticist who lives close to the Vatican and he is cloning people from relics of saints and someone from Opus Dei is eliminating the clones. If anyone knows what the title of the book is, please tell.

I hope you get a reply, because that sounds hawt!

Prospero

067003486X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A long read, with lots of statistics, but it moves fast for what it is, and Phillips is a pretty good writer. There's grim news for America on just about every page.

There are three sections (on American overreliance on oil; the incursion of radicalized Christianity into politics; and the rising national debt) that Phillips seems to be promising to tie together. (I'm in the middle of the second section.) I'm not sure how he's going to pull that off.

Benadryl Hitman said:

I've read that. It is The Genesis Code by John Case (a pseudonym). Not a bad book. I still remember the hitman who had his legs amputated at the knee so he could wear fake legs of various heights in order to mask his real height and foil eyewitnesses.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. That hitman was from The Day After Tomorrow. But The Genesis Code is still good.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Currently reading Kushiel's Dart. Seen a lot of people mention it recently as their favorite fantasy series. More than halfway through the first book and I deam it as trash compared to malazan and fire n ice.

And not even that good compared to robin hobb's assassin trilogy. Hell, I think I'd rather be reading the next wheel of time book.

BobJustBob said:
I've read that. It is The Genesis Code by John Case (a pseudonym). Not a bad book.
Yes, that sounds right. Thanks.

I still remember the hitman who had his legs amputated at the knee so he could wear fake legs of various heights in order to mask his real height and foil eyewitnesses.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. That hitman was from The Day After Tomorrow. But The Genesis Code is still good.
I don't know if you are referring to The Day After Tomorrow I think you have that confused too. Unless if there is a book that goes by the same title.

Benadryl Hitman said:

Perhaps this one?

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060762101/ref=ac_hotlist_prod/302-2586885-4488865

EDIT: Late and wrong, sorry.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Still plodding through my backlog, interspersed with recommendations from my last book recommendation beg-a-thon. Currently reading one of those, in fact:

TV_Sch39.jpg

Benadryl Hitman said:
I don't know if you are referring to The Day After Tomorrow I think you have that confused too. Unless if there is a book that goes by the same title.

Nah, this one. It's a decent book, and like I said the hitman thing was cool and stands out, but you guess the evil organization's motive way before it is actually revealed to you.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Oh yeah almost forgot, I finished this book a few days ago:

a-avalon-big.jpg

Pretty interesting insight into how the music industry works, from different perspectives, and how a record gets made. I can finally say I have something of an understanding of the music industry now. And to be honest, I don't see music labels as quite as evil as I once did.

thomaser

Haruki Murakami: "Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the Earth"

hardboiledendworlda.jpg

Just over halfway done, and it's a cracker. Wow. I love Murakami.

James Joyce: "Ulysses" - Penguin annotated student edition

9780141184432L.gif

Have been at it for a couple of days now, and I've almost reached the end of the introduction. Looking forward to read the story itself.

I'm also reading The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel. One chapter per week, per instructions, in the hope that I will become a better person in the end.

By the way, why do European publishers always have extremely small and blurry and useless pics of their darn good book-covers? I swear, these black/white Murakami-covers from Vintage are the most beautiful covers I know of, but there are no good scans of them everywhere.

Dilbert

Salt Water Amnesia, Jeffrey Skinner
Budget Travel Through Space and Time, Albert Goldbarth
The Totality For Kids, Joshua Clover

Just ordered:

Always Danger, David Hernandez
Animal Soul, Bob Hicok
Shake, Joshua Beckman
Funny, Jennifer Michael Hecht
Hard Rain, Tony Hoagland

iapetus said:
Why would anybody want to be identified as the 'author of Market Forces'? (And I say this as a huge fan of Morgan's other books...)

So i take it that i should continue to stay the fuck away from Market Forces?

Top Bottom