• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The answer of Xbox to the PlayStation Classic.

Chiggs

It looks like the console warring has died down so let's keep it that way. You can be critical and such, just please don't attack our friend Xbox, PlayStation or Jaguar friends personally.

But I hate the Atari Jaguar! It and Cybermorph fucked me out of $250.00 when I was just a freshman in high school! I scooped up dog shit on the weekends at a lousy kennel, just so I could be the first kid on my block with a 64-bit system!

You demand peace, Kururu, but I say unto you: where is MY justice?!

*looks to the right and left with wild, incredulous eyes*

Where is it?!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
But I hate the Atari Jaguar! It and Cybermorph fucked me out of $250.00 when I was just a freshman in high school! I scooped up dog shit on the weekends at a lousy kennel, just so I could be the first kid on my block with a 64-bit system!

You demand peace, Kururu, but I say unto you: where is MY justice?!

*looks to the right and left with wild, incredulous eyes*

Where is it?!
Where did you learn to fly?

Last edited:

Zewp

Perhaps, but isn’t that a really significant advantage though and since these are game consoles at the end of the day, that is the primary advantage you really need?

Backwards compability is really cool and I must commend the engineers for their wizardry, but I really think most people are overestimating the importance of it. The ps one mini is most likely a little side project for Sony where bc is a pretty big focus for Microsoft for the obvious reasons.

If playing exclusives is all you care about, then sure. For me there are other things that are important too and in that regard Microsoft has been doing great work this gen with things like GamePass and Play Anywhere. I can easily get refunds for my Xbox One preorders, whereas Sony outright refuses to for no good reason. I find the social features on Xbox One much better than PS4 and Xbox Live kicks PSN's ass any day of the week. With MS Rewards I even get free Xbox Live Gold for large parts of the year. Backwards compatibility is really nice for me, seeing as I didn't have a 360 last gen. And then, of course there's crossplay, which we've been using a lot in our household.

Exclusives are great and not all exclusives appeal to me. I'm very 'meh' towards most of the exclusives on PS4 anyway. Most of the games I play tend to be multiplats anyway and as a result I end up gaming where it is most comfortable to game, and currently that's my PS4 Pro because it has significantly better hardware than my Xbox One S. When I get an Xbox One X I'm likely to move all my multiplat gaming there. Next gen I'll probably get an Xbox before I get a Playstation, because even though their E3 2013 reveal was a disaster, the company is focused on the future of gaming. Sony wants to keep the idea of consoles as walled gardens going. Walled gardens are simply not the future of gaming.

Maybe for some people exclusives are the be-all and end-all of console gaming, but not for everyone. There's a lot more to consider when it comes to the benefits of a console. Even the Switch- I didn't get it because I wanted to play Switch Exclusives. I got it because it's great for playing indie games on the go. And considering how many devs are saying that the Switch is the best place to sell indies, I'm not alone in that view either. Exclusives are only one aspect of consoles. ;)

Allandor

well they could release a xbox one in original xbox design with a reworked duke controller. That is classic enough and can also "play" a few original titles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Deserved to be honest. I can understand PS3 games not being backwards compatible but at the very least they could have done PS1 and maybe PS2 games and let us use our disc for free. I would have crowned them the winner instantly had they done any kind of backwards compatibility and free online. They painted themselves as the good guys at that one E3 yet they are no better or worse than the others.

My point was mainly that right now it appears that Xbox is mainly focusing on high-spend consumers with the X, which isn't really the audience for a $99 mini-console. I mean the X (their main sku) is nearly 5x the price! Hardly like for like.

Of course it's relevant. If Microsoft is poking fun at Sony for the lack of BC (old) games, it's hypocritical since they have been lacking new games, which is more relevant to consumers.
They haven't been lacking new games, people just don't deem their games worthy of existing so they act as if they don't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Marketing? How does it work?

Sure, but I do not get the 'hammer down Sony' in the context to this thread and the novelty console in which they did not do this to Nintendo... twice even.

I agree about hammering Sony for them to add the same functions to the PS core consoles however.

Last edited:
You know who wins with these wars? We all do.
So instead of cheering for one huge corp instead of another huge corp, be happy that there are 2 huge corps disputing the market of our hobby.

thelastword

Banned
So older games on a new console is more important than newer games on a new console?

Yet, if you want to play PS1 classics, the only place you can do this is on PS hardware or through an emulator on PC.....So that tweet does not make much sense at all...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You know who wins with these wars? We all do.
So instead of cheering for one huge corp instead of another huge corp, be happy that there are 2 huge corps disputing the market of our hobby.
With all three console manufacturers firing on all cylinders, next gen should be something special.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This was a missed opportunity for the Xbox team to say

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to play these game on their modern-day system. It's called Xbox One."

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
surejan.gif

If you're at a point in your life where you hate the Xbox brand so much that you have to insinuate that it's fanbase are such total morons that they don't know what Nostalgia means, maybe it's time to take a break and go outside for a bit, because I think you've been fighting the good fight a little too long. At ease, little soldier.

Doing a deep dive into someones history says enough about youself. “Little soldier” lol..shut up...

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Doing a deep dive into someones history says enough about youself. “Little soldier” lol..shut up...
I didn't have to look, the sheer stupidity of your usual posts stands out, and unfortunately I've been cursed with a great memory :(

But I hope everything turns out ok in your life so you're not stuck on a message board fighting for the honor of a company that doesn't even know you exist. Take it easy, friend-o 😂

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I didn't have to look, the sheer stupidity of your usual posts stands out, and unfortunately I've been cursed with a great memory :(

But I hope everything turns out ok in your life so you're not stuck on a message board fighting for the honor of a company that doesn't even know you exist. Take it easy, friend-o 😂

Funny, why go personal with this? Based on your reactions. Looks like you are the one that is stuck in this thread/forum.

Tough from behind your keyboard..go on like this

Akuza89

They should really hammer Sony down with this, especially around the time the PS Classic is released.

As much of a fan as i am for the Xbox backwards compatibility...

I can see why sony aren't interested in it, it's a lot of work for no gain to them and right now the course of action at the moment at sony is

1) sony
2) investors
3) developers
4) fans

They won't make a move, simply put, they know people are stupid enough to pay for something again and again, why give them a free option?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Funny, why go personal with this? Based on your reactions. Looks like you are the one that is stuck in this thread/forum.

Tough from behind your keyboard..go on like this
You're the one that takes a console war so serious that you have to resort to insulting an entire fanbase because they like a platform you don't. Grow up, man. I don't want us to derail this thread for people nor do I want either of us to get pissed for something so stupid and end up banned. So let's just add eachother to our ignore lists and go about our days. ✌️

As much of a fan as i am for the Xbox backwards compatibility...

I can see why sony aren't interested in it, it's a lot of work for no gain to them and right now the course of action at the moment at sony is

1) sony
2) investors
3) developers
4) fans

They won't make a move, simply put, they know people are stupid enough to pay for something again and again, why give them a free option?
But then you have cases like MW3. Where it jumped from the 321st spot on the NPD lists to the 8th spot after just three days of sales. Activision made money there and all they had to do was say "yes" to Microsoft and their backwards compatibility team. Now of course I don't know the financial details behind how much it costs to get the game BC from Microsoft's end, but I imagine a jump in sales that big would offset the cost.

Then again, it's Call of Duty so it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

They haven't been lacking new games, people just don't deem their games worthy of existing so they act as if they don't.
There aren't any game that came out for Xbone between State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 that isn't on PS4. That's a huge window between the end of May and the beginning of October.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You're the one that takes a console war so serious that you have to resort to insulting an entire fanbase because they like a platform you don't. Grow up, man. I don't want us to detail this thread for people nor do I want either of us to get pissed for something so stupid and end up banned. So let's just add eachother to our ignore lists and go about our days. ✌️

You really have a problem if you are making a big deal right now. And even going personal is a bit sad. You don’t even know me so don’t try talk to my again like that. If you don’t want to be banned then not begin talking like you know me personal. Because in real life, i don’t think you would say this.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You really have a problem if you are making a big deal right now. And even going personal is a bit sad. You don’t even know me so don’t try talk to my again like that. If you don’t want to be banned then not begin talking like you know me personal. Because in real life, i don’t think you would say this.
You're right, I don't know you. But everything I've ever seen you post leads me to believe that you're heavily invested in some stupid console war. And yes, in real life I'd say this. But again, let's just put it behind us before we both get banned. I'll be the bigger man and apologize first. I'm sorry I decided to call you out for unnecessary insult towards others. Don't worry about apologizing because I won't see it or anything else. Take care :)

Edit: And apologies to everyone else for derailing the topic.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
There aren't any game that came out for Xbone between State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 that isn't on PS4. That's a huge window between the end of May and the beginning of October.

There are games that have come to Xbox and not PS4 in that period. You just aren’t paying attention to them, but I’m sure there will just be reasons why they don’t count as games. Dayz for instance.

WaterAstro

There are games that have come to Xbox and not PS4 in that period. You just aren’t paying attention to them, but I’m sure there will just be reasons why they don’t count as games. Dayz for instance.
Uh what? DayZ came out like 5 years ago, and it's still in Early Access, so yeah, it's definitely not a real game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This was a missed opportunity for the Xbox team to say

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to play these game on their modern-day system. It's called Xbox One."

Xbox should hire you to do their PR. That's an awesome turn on the most bone-headed statement by the most bone-headed clown to ever work for MS. LOVE it...!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Xbox should hire you to do their PR. That's an awesome turn on the most bone-headed statement by the most bone-headed clown to ever work for MS. LOVE it...!
"Look, if I was on a nuclear sub, I'd be disappointed with only 20 games on PS Classic, too! I can empathize. That brave sailor should've brought his Xbox One X with Over Five Hundred Playable Titles From Xbox And Xbox Three Sixty Libraries."

Hire me, Microsoft.

mneuro

Good on Microsoft and Nintendo for every time they bring Sony down for anti consumer business decisions. PS4 could have 100 percent PS1 backwards compatibility easily. The PS classic is insulting.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
You know when you paid 500 or more for your console being able to play your old games is key especially when you lack first party titles. I suppose it's the best way to distract from that fact.

I'm guessing you'll have to wait till the next xbox for the effect of all those companies MS are buying up. I've heard more BC announcements then first party titles. At the moment IMO between the 3 consoles the Xbox is a waste of money again that's just my opinion

Last edited:
Good on Microsoft and Nintendo for every time they bring Sony down for anti consumer business decisions. PS4 could have 100 percent PS1 backwards compatibility easily. The PS classic is insulting.

Let’s be brutally honest here. I guarantee you that if the tables were turned around and Nintendo and Microsoft were dominating the industry like Sony, they would not be doing these so called pro-consumer decisions. The only reason they are doing things like gamepass, bc, crossplay, etc is because they are far behind Sony and trying maintain momentum, primarily Microsoft. Nintendo and Microsoft aren’t exactly saints or anything themselves with their business practices either.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And Nintendo? The same Nintendo that does not have BC, and also has classic minis? And what paltry BC effort with NES is shoehorned behind their paywall now?

Goodness.

Last edited:

mneuro

Let’s be brutally honest here. I guarantee you that if the tables were turned around and Nintendo and Microsoft were dominating the industry like Sony, they would not be doing these so called pro-consumer decisions. The only reason they are doing things like gamepass, bc, crossplay, etc is because they are far behind Sony and trying maintain momentum, primarily Microsoft. Nintendo and Microsoft aren’t exactly saints or anything themselves with their business practices either.
The Xbox 360 was dominating the PS3 in sales. During that generation Microsoft also pushed backwards compatibility while sony took it out of their console after the launch models.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I propose that we cheer when companies do things we like and boo when they do things we hate. The matter of trusting or distrusting their brand is a separate issue that gets unnecessarily brought into the conversation, don't you think? At this point, all gaming companies have a track-record of being extremely terrible at some point in their history. It's okay to appreciate their products in spite of those issues.

Me? I avoid Microsoft products whenever I can yet I own a 360 and can be happy when they make good decisions. The fact that they're doing it because of their poor decisions in the past is obvious: they're trying to win back goodwill.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Xbox 360 was dominating the PS3 in sales. During that generation Microsoft also pushed backwards compatibility while sony took it out of their console after the launch models.

You have a very strange vision of history. Sony kept the PS1 BC through the entire gen in every PS3 console revision. I can pop any disc in my new Super Slim I recently purchased and they all work. They slowly removed the PS2 BC going from hardware inside, to half emulation have hardware, to full emulation, to none for PS2, but still kept PS1. MS also dropped continued support 2 years in for BC as well and it only supported 461 titles out of the 1047 released on the Xbox. The sales lead was a year head start, the PS3 outsold them every year worldwide after it launched and closed the gap at the end.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
He already explained above that DayZ isn’t a real game.
By the justification he provided, PUBG wasn't a real game either. So I don't know what the 8 million+ sales were about. There's no denying the XB1 output has been really weak this year in my opinion, but to say a game doesn't count because it's early access doesn't make much sense in today's marketplace.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This was a stupid tweet, people who want a ps classic will want one out of nostalgia, and they don't seem to take into account the cost of an Xbox one along with buying all these 'free' games.

Sad fact is I could see the ps classic outselling Xbox one in some territories

The only real advantage the PS4 game has is the games you can't play elsewhere.

That's the only advantage you need, there games consoles.

Microsoft have basically made a 3-400 dollar Xbox classic
Those people with nostalgia will be hit with the harsh reality that those games don't look as good as they remember too
Especially when blown up to HD4K screens and are a jagged and almost unrecognisable.
I wouldn't be laughing if Silent Hill 2 or Metal Gear Solid HD Collection ever get added to Xbox BC and get X Enhanced.
That'll be like taking a shot to the balls by Bruce Lee
Even their PS2 on PS4 is a joke.

Last edited:

That’s true, but they said they took it out to cut costs of the expensive to manufacture ps3 which I think had a ps2 emulator in it. Still shame they took it out because it was nice to have. It didn’t happen until the slim models though I remember correctly.

Was backwards compatibility a feature in the x360 when it was competing against the ps3? To be truthfully, I don’t remember. I know the x360 plays a few Xbox games now, but I insinuated they just started that in the Xbox one era.

Last edited:
I propose that we cheer when companies do things we like and boo when they do things we hate. The matter of trusting or distrusting their brand is a separate issue that gets unnecessarily brought into the conversation, don't you think? At this point, all gaming companies have a track-record of being extremely terrible at some point in their history. It's okay to appreciate their products in spite of those issues.

Me? I avoid Microsoft products whenever I can yet I own a 360 and can be happy when they make good decisions. The fact that they're doing it because of their poor decisions in the past is obvious: they're trying to win back goodwill.

Excellent point. All of the companies definitely have their track records of detrimental and positive business decisions. I’ve just noticed lately I’ve seen a plethora of gamers championing Microsoft for their business decisions like they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They should be commended, but as stated they are trying to win goodwill with the consumers especially after the Xbox One debut.

Play classic xbox games like blink the cat, amped, high heat baseball starring sammy sosa and nfl fever 2002. Sorry microsoft but nobody aint paying for an xbox mini and xbox 360 needs 20 years before it becomes a classic.

Those people with nostalgia will be hit with the harsh reality that those games don't look as good as they remember too
Especially when blown up to HD4K screens and are a jagged and almost unrecognisable.
I wouldn't be laughing if Silent Hill 2 or Metal Gear Solid HD Collection ever get added to Xbox BC and get X Enhanced.
That'll be like taking a shot to the balls by Bruce Lee
Even their PS2 on PS4 is a joke.

Your still comparing the classic to BC.

This is a toy not a full console, nor is it trying to be a console.

And yes people will realise the graphics haven't aged well, bit they are PS1 games, you then compare them to 360/PS3 era remasters of PS2/Xbox games??

You know what would sell this for me? if it contained a dozen demo discs from back in the day.

I wanna play kurushi for 5 straight hours, plus maybe a way to get around licencing issues? aka just licence one song from the Tony Hawk demo.

Last edited:
Do they have an answer for God of War, Detroit, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Dragon Quest XI, and Spider-man?

I have a PS4 and own none of these things games for personal taste reasons, Microsoft needs to invest in some more studios. I wouldn't mind the PS4 being as powerful as a 1X though.

Your still comparing the classic to BC.

This is a toy not a full console, nor is it trying to be a console.

And yes people will realise the graphics haven't aged well, bit they are PS1 games, you then compare them to 360/PS3 era remasters of PS2/Xbox games??
Well let's be honest, that's exactly what it is but plays on peoples nostalgia to sell them a $100 device they don't need. The reality is Sony could add this emulation layer to the PlayStation 4 but are instead doing this for whatever reason.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well let's be honest, that's exactly what it is but plays on peoples nostalgia to sell them a $100 device they don't need. The reality is Sony could add this emulation layer to the PlayStation 4 but are instead doing this for whatever reason.

Maybe that will come after this just like how Nintendo did it?

Top Bottom