• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arkedo Series Official Thread of 240MSPoints Down a Month

Came in expecting "has anyone heard about this yet?" Got laughs instead, excellent!

I'm interested to hear if the sale on Swap had much impact on sales, if you've got data for it. Do you get less money, or does MS take that hit?

Pharoah

toythatkills said:
Came in expecting "has anyone heard about this yet?" Got laughs instead, excellent!

I'm interested to hear if the sale on Swap had much impact on sales, if you've got data for it. Do you get less money, or does MS take that hit?

Good question. Let's have a look at how 02-SWAP performed for the month of September '10, when it was featured for a week:

* Trials: 3987
* Purchases: 2334
* Purchase/Trial Ratio: 58.54 %

OK, it sold MORE during this SINGLE week, when it was featured much higher in the dashboard, than rest of its lifetime combined.

We got the same cut on sales as usual (70%), but as the game went from 240 MS points to 80 MS points during this week, our share was a third of what we usually get.

Also, half of the people who tried the game bought it during this period. It is very interesting to see such price elasticity when the game is showcased to a broader audience like that. Weird, actually.

But again, happy problem. The game was selling just a few units per week, being a year from launch and all, then it got a taste of XBLA.

Got us hooked :D

Kafel

Banned
So now we should guess on what license you guys are working ? : D

Also I'm interested in knowing how much you really made with the Arkedo Series then. And does a downloadable title has longer legs than say, a DS title for example ? Since the downloadable game is always available to purchase is it like infinite revenue or something ? : P

Thanks for your interesting posts here. : )

Pharoah

(I was just joking :D )
Capy knows things.

Also, they are the only studio outside France to know, so shh, Capy! ^^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jump! is one of my favorite games on the service, very reminiscent of Bomb Jack. Looking very forward to what's in store over at Arkedo.

Adam J.

03-Pixel seriously may be my favorite game on XBOX. Whenever I need cheered up, I play it--always puts a huge smile on my face. Did I mention that game has the best pause-screen ever (Pixel taking a coffee break)?

Pharoah

All right, "la suite" :)

In this post, I'll try and explain why using XNA for a small studio can be a smart move, even if the direct sales first look weak.
Because you know, it's important. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, PEOPLE LOVE YOU.

In a nutshell, it's all about having your studio being noticed by gamers, and help it appear on the industry radar.*

Back to the initial statement : the 3 Arkedo Series cost approx 50 K$ altogether to make, and XNA sales went approx. 50 K$ combined.
Costs and revenue are comparable in this example. Call it a draw!

(DISCLAIMER: Costs only recoup wages for dev and art solely; the "2 guys for 1 month" thing.
I have not added the general costs, like Arkedo's private jet, and the fact that our windows can only be cleaned by fresh and young boobs, which can be quite costly. But having clean windows does help us to focus. Afterwards.)

So having 3 games on the XBOX, even on the Indie Games section (which must be less than 1% of the general traffic) does help you get noticed.
Note that "noticed" does not necessarily mean "liked". It just means more people will react to your game. Good or bad.

The first batch of Arkedo Series got Arkedo:
- another paid deal with MGS (Snake unrelated) for the launch of WP7, with OMG -Our Manic Game.
- to convince a very nice JP Publisher we could make their new installment for XBLA and PSN (that was pretty awesome, actually),
- to convince also Intel that the Arkedo Series could be a nice addition to their AppUp platform (basically, an Appstore/Steam for PC notebooks, launched in France next week)
- to seriously consider being ported to PC in general. More in a in a few weeks.
- to seriously consider being ported to PSN, too. More in a in a (small) couple of months.
- and to finally help us dramatically push our own -quite expensive- XBLA/PSN project. We are now finishing the "first third" phase for this project.

So in a nutshell, what looked like "only" 50 K$ turned out in the end being a few hundreds thousands eurodollars in indirect -yet closely related- sales, and built some hype around our current "big" game.

So thank you Indie Games on XBOX, thank you XNA, and more importantly, thank you A LOT to everyone who tried our games.
There have been some rather grim times for us in 2009 (the badge was a bitch to get), but the rather consistent flow of incoming lovemail we got helped us keep a big smile on our faces and just STFU and go back to work.

I really recommend XNA for everyone.
It's simple, it's easy, and it allows you to have a new audience while getting some attention from the industry.

It's awesome.

As soon as we can resume our Series, we will. Hopefully you'll agree next year that we had to focus almost exclusively on our current "big" project.

We are just a handful, a small one at that, and we really look at our current game as some kind of way to show THE WORLD why we thought it would be worth it if we did not die right away.
We have stuff to say. Sorry: we have stuff to YELL, if that's OK with you ^^

I would love to say "Stay tuned", but this project is bound to be live by Xmas next year, minimum. Maybe a tad later, depending on the scope.

Hopefully, a new game by us, done for others, will be revealed shortly now (we are just putting the final touch to the reference build right now, then there are ports planned for XBLA, PSN, and PC).

* Yes Virginia, there is an industry radar.

Noogy

Cromulent_Word said:
2011 is the year of Arkedo.

Prepare for the awesomeness onslaught.

I love seeing Capy comment on Arkedo. Too much 2D goodness.

And thank you for the update, Pharoah. XNA has been good to me as well, and I LOVE to hear Arkedo's success story. Best of luck in 2011!

Kafel

Banned
Oh thus Namco chose you for their next arcade remakes. Makes perfect sense.

Also, with your successful XNA/WP7 games I hope you'll remember where you come from when it will be time to choose if you should release your XBLA/PSN game at the same time but a bit later than expected, or the XBLA version earlier.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Pharoah said:
- to convince a very nice JP Publisher we could make their new installment for XBLA and PSN (that was pretty awesome, actually),
I'm getting a WayForward/Contra IV vibe here.. and it feels all good and tingly.

Pharoah

We would be a very very naughty studio if, for our first contract work since we started 4 years ago, we spilled the beans like that before they decided to make an announcement.

Also, we have collected enough coal in our pockets :D

As soon as the game will be announced, we will say stuff. Q1 2011, maybe?
Those guys kept us alive, gave us their trust, and offered us a great franchise to play with.
Hope you can understand.

AzBat

Pharoah,

Love you gals & guys. Praise was always well deserved. So a big congratulations! Couldn't happen to better group of people. Thanks for the fan service and can't wait to see what you got in store. Maybe one of these days we'll get to see 2 Finger Heroes in action. ;)

Bebpo

Banned
Pharoah said:
All right, "la suite" :)

In this post, I'll try and explain why using XNA for a small studio can be a smart move, even if the direct sales first look weak.
Because you know, it's important. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, PEOPLE LOVE YOU.

In a nutshell, it's all about having your studio being noticed by gamers, and help it appear on the industry radar.*

Back to the initial statement : the 3 Arkedo Series cost approx 50 K$ altogether to make, and XNA sales went approx. 50 K$ combined.
Costs and revenue are comparable in this example. Call it a draw!

(DISCLAIMER: Costs only recoup wages for dev and art solely; the "2 guys for 1 month" thing.
I have not added the general costs, like Arkedo's private jet, and the fact that our windows can only be cleaned by fresh and young boobs, which can be quite costly. But having clean windows does help us to focus. Afterwards.)

So having 3 games on the XBOX, even on the Indie Games section (which must be less than 1% of the general traffic) does help you get noticed.
Note that "noticed" does not necessarily mean "liked". It just means more people will react to your game. Good or bad.

The first batch of Arkedo Series got Arkedo:
- another paid deal with MGS (Snake unrelated) for the launch of WP7, with OMG -Our Manic Game.
- to convince also Intel that the Arkedo Series could be a nice addition to their AppUp platform (basically, an Appstore/Steam for PC notebooks, launched in France next week)
- to seriously consider being ported to PC in general. More in a in a few weeks.
- to seriously consider being ported to PSN, too. More in a in a (small) couple of months.
- and to finally help us dramatically push our own -quite expensive- XBLA/PSN project. We are now finishing the "first third" phase for this project.

So in a nutshell, what looked like "only" 50 K$ turned out in the end being a few hundreds thousands eurodollars in indirect -yet closely related- sales, and built some hype around our current "big" game.

So thank you Indie Games on XBOX, thank you XNA, and more importantly, thank you A LOT to everyone who tried our games.
There have been some rather grim times for us in 2009 (the badge was a bitch to get), but the rather consistent flow of incoming lovemail we got helped us keep a big smile on our faces and just STFU and go back to work.

I really recommend XNA for everyone.
It's simple, it's easy, and it allows you to have a new audience while getting some attention from the industry.

It's awesome.

As soon as we can resume our Series, we will. Hopefully you'll agree next year that we had to focus almost exclusively on our current "big" project.

We are just a handful, a small one at that, and we really look at our current game as some kind of way to show THE WORLD why we thought it would be worth it if we did not die right away.
We have stuff to say. Sorry: we have stuff to YELL, if that's OK with you ^^

I would love to say "Stay tuned", but this project is bound to be live by Xmas next year, minimum. Maybe a tad later, depending on the scope.

Hopefully, a new game by us, done for others, will be revealed shortly now (we are just putting the final touch to the reference build right now, then there are ports planned for XBLA, PSN, and PC).

* Yes Virginia, there is an industry radar.

Really cool and inspirational. Congrats and thanks for sharing :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Great news. You guys deserve all of your success. I've loved every Arkedo release so far.

I really look forward to seeing what you guys put out next.

Pharoah

HadesGigas said:
Minis or regular PSN? They'd be pretty neat on a PSP.

Hopefully both :)

Hmm. Let me explain ^^

PIXEL comes from Hervé Barbaresi, Pastagames' lead gfx. That's his idea.
It started on XBLIG (we just did the code), then Pix'n Love and Pastagames made another PIXEL game for the iPhone: Pix'n Love Rush.

NOTE
For those of you who do not know Pix'n Love... you should :)
It is a small French mook publisher, specialized in retro gaming.
Florent Gorges, the founder, must be one of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys in the industry.
His passion for the history of videogames and the people behind it is truly amazing.
Everyone with the slightest interest in gaming should read Pix'n Love books.
The history of Nintendo... The Gunpei Yokoi book... True gems, really.

In a nutshell, nice girls and Pix'n Love are the only two reasons left anyone should learn how to speak French. True story.

coverjam2i.jpg
acouvgunpei.jpg
coverpix10.jpg
couvtakahashilight.jpg

Some of their mooks are translated in English. French site here, English site there.

PIX'N LOVE RUSH for PSP Mini
So our (awesome) officemates Pastagames will be shortly releasing a PSP Mini version of Pix'n Love Rush, with an exclusive mode. I guess it should be out by the beginning of next year.
No more excuses for me to suck at this game, as there will be buttons :)

PIX'N LOVE RUSH DX for iPad
Another cool news is that (awesome, did I say that?) officemates Pastagames have just finished a VERY cool and upgraded version for iPad: Pix'n Love Rush DX.
Here are *exclusive* (please add you own neon lights here, and throw confetti at your screen, thx) screenshots for this version.
A new game mode, new cool skins, some stuff they will reveal later...

See for yourself :)

>>>click for FULLSCREEN<<<

Yes you can position the buttons wherever you fancy, by dragging them exactly where you want. NO. MORE. EXCUSES.

Pix'n Love Rush DX is currently being approved (or not) by Apple. Should be out quickly.

ARKEDO SERIES 01-02-03 on PSN
Concerning the three "original" Arkedo Series, the idea is to have them on PSN for a few bucks.
We are waiting for Sony's concept approval right now. It usually takes less than one or two months.
Stay tuned :)

The skins on those iPad screens (both in-game and the faux-controllers) look awesome. Even a VB-inspired one, by the looks of it.

Pharoah said:
ARKEDO SERIES 01-02-03 on PSN
Concerning the three "original" Arkedo Series, the idea is to have them on PSN for a few bucks.
We are waiting for Sony's concept approval right now. It usually takes less than one or two months.
Stay tuned :)

Nice I love these games and would buy them all again the second they're released

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Pharoah, you seem tight with Pasta Games, can you let them know we would like an update to Rush with 960x640 resolution support for iPhone 4.. the game currently looks all blurry/smudgy due to the upscaling.

Oh man, I NEED an iPad! Rush is my favorite iPhone game ever, I've put hundreds of hours into it. Shame the leaderboard is ruined by vile cheaters, though. Can't wait for the mini!

So what is Arkedo working on, Pharoah? Series 4? Something bigger? Big Bang Mini for 3DS (yes, please)?

jesusraz said:
What happened to the planned WiiWare version of Big Bang Mini?

From what Pharaoh has been saying, it sounds like SouthPeak canceled the project and then didn't give them any money for it, despite it nearing completion. Or something to that matter. SouthPeak has been hurting, so it makes some sense that they'd try to screw over a developer to keep money.

jesusraz

The BBM name is owned by SouthPeak? Didn't realise that. Thought they'd simply worked as the publisher for the DS release and Camille at Arkedo was banging out something for WiiWare with a different publisher.

I kept on nudging for DSiWare 'bite-sized' releases, the same as I did with Mekensleep about milking Soul Bubbles some more...Shame nothing materialised. Not spoken with Camille @ Arkedo in ages, actually.

Amazing, epic update to pix'n love RUSH today! New mode, new graphics, new music, I'm blown away! The best game on iPhone just got better, so why haven't you bought it yet?

Pharoah

Hey guys,

Long time no talk.

We are glad to inform you that our next game has been signed by Sega and will be a lineup title for the launch of the Dreamcast 2, so it's pretty cool.
Just one small lie in our last sentence: we're getting better, eh? ^^

Name of the game is currently Project Hell Yeah!
\o/

>>>Our devblog can be found HERE. <<<

salromano

Pharoah said:
Hey guys,

Long time no talk.

We are glad to inform you that our next game has been signed by Sega and will be a lineup title for the launch of the Dreamcast 2, so it's pretty cool.

\o/

You should tell us some actual details about the game. Only saw a couple artworks on the site and am already excited.

Pharoah

Trust us, we're French: if we could brag, we would :)
We have to follow SEGA's way on this one, and it makes sense.

Only thing we can say is that it's our own IP, that we are having tremendous fun designing then slaughtering our monsters, and we started work 9 months ago.

Tizoc

Looking forward to it =)
I bought all 3 Arkedo games off EU PSN, and really enjoyed them.
Any chance you could provide an update to get a Platinum trophy for getting all trophies in the 3 games?

Pharoah

Haha, this is going to be fun...
:)

- No idea for the Platinum Trophy. I'll ask Sanuk, they are publishing them on PSN.
- 04 Slash started but was not fun enough. So we did a bit of work-for-hire, then started our Project Hell Yeah!, this time with a much bigger scope.

It seems SEGA was looking for these kind of projects at the time we showed it to them, because they signed it very quickly. These guys have taste! :)

Adam J.

I was just wondering what Arkedo was up to. The artwork looks super cute--can't wait to see what this games is all about. I'm guessing that its going to be for handheld devices..

Pharoah

The Arkedo Series are also coming to the US!
It's just that SOA wants them to be sold as a package, not individually.
We should have news from them soon and I will update you.

On Project Hell Yeah!: BIG screens too :)

Gameboy415

Pharoah said:
The Arkedo Series are also coming to the US!
It's just that SOA wants them to be sold as a package, not individually.
We should have news from them soon and I will update you.

On Project Hell Yeah!: BIG screens too :)

That's great to hear! :)

I've thoroughly enjoyed both of your DS games and Pix N Love Rush so I look forward to trying out the other PSN releases on Day 1!

Pharoah said:
Hey guys,

Long time no talk.

\o/

Very curious about this. Love the Arkedo series.

Top Bottom