• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent | Co-op Trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

The Ascent is a solo and co-op Action-shooter RPG set in a cyberpunk world. The mega corporation that owns you and everyone, The Ascent Group, has just collapsed. Can you survive without it?

Play the entire game alone or work together with up to three friends in local or online co-op.
Customize your character with cyberware that suits your playstyle. Allocate new skill points as you level-up and try various augmentations to take down your enemies in new creative ways.
Meet new allies and ennemies and find loot as you explore the brimming world of The Ascent and its wide range of districts, from the deep slums to the higher luxury spheres.

Steam-Gifs-Shoot-and-looot2.gif
Steam-Gifs-Solo-Coop2.gif

ss_0e5bdb1ed1a6c581ba46f1489b4a6bfe194aba4d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c4ae3659a89b0d5c8b1cf1dae33cfa9abb5d53b7.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4c29d46c7240c99b5e755164196153a9797ceeb6.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c85d891e390b5e9a0f1bc16ff5554ffafa9d3255.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Intrigued. I wonder if the slow walking is done on purpose or if these just happened to be the clips they grabbed.

Also, I really hope it’s light RPG elements. I can’t imagine having 3 teammates and waiting on them to mess around with inventory and stats.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Looks super cool.

I have a feeling it might not be a super performant game, tons of alpha effects and it shows the framerate dropping quite a few times. Might be one of those where you really need to crush the resolution to get locked 60 just due to the presentation, but hopefully it'll have a Performance or Fidelity option on Xbox. I don't think this is a game that should be played at 30fps but if its required for me to get that super sweet IQ seen in the trailer I may well do it.

GymWolf

You know that it's an xbox game when even the trailer say "tool up".

Other than that, it looks fucking great, day one 🕺

graphically it mop the floor with diablo 4.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Looks like I get to say hello to another game like alien nation that stole my life.
Totally agree with this. Looks like next gen Alienation, which was a superb game. Hope this turns out to be great for the Xbox playerbase!

johnjohn

I'm loving the lighting and effects in this game. Looks like a legit next-gen game even though it's cross-gen. I really don't ex[etc this to run well on Xbox One.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Man the detail and amount of assets in this is really surprising for a smaller studio. I wonder how long they have been working on it.

Microsoft scooping up exclusive rights to all the top tier indie titles. Continuing what they started with Cuphead. Ascent, Scorn, Death's Door, etc

Last edited:

Gatox

Banned
Uncle Phil needs to buy these guys and get them the judge dread license fantastic game. I hope we have a good community for the game.
Oh I like that idea, imagine thus kind of thing set in mega city one, the quest lines available are huge.

Man the detail and amount of assets in this is really surprising for a smaller studio. I wonder how long they have been working on it.
A team of only 11 developers and the composer have been working on this game for a little over 3 1/2 years.

Each of the devs used to be a lead on other big name titles like Wolfenstein, Gears Of War, Bulletstorm, etc. - so it's like having 2 or 3 developers in each one🤘🏻💯

dV8tR

Neo Member

The Ascent is a solo and co-op Action-shooter RPG set in a cyberpunk world. The mega corporation that owns you and everyone, The Ascent Group, has just collapsed. Can you survive without it?

Play the entire game alone or work together with up to three friends in local or online co-op.
Customize your character with cyberware that suits your playstyle. Allocate new skill points as you level-up and try various augmentations to take down your enemies in new creative ways.
Meet new allies and ennemies and find loot as you explore the brimming world of The Ascent and its wide range of districts, from the deep slums to the higher luxury spheres.

Steam-Gifs-Shoot-and-looot2.gif
Steam-Gifs-Solo-Coop2.gif

ss_0e5bdb1ed1a6c581ba46f1489b4a6bfe194aba4d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c4ae3659a89b0d5c8b1cf1dae33cfa9abb5d53b7.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4c29d46c7240c99b5e755164196153a9797ceeb6.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c85d891e390b5e9a0f1bc16ff5554ffafa9d3255.1920x1080.jpg

This is 100% my kind of game. Awesome trailer - can't wait ! 🔥🔥🔥

Fredrik

A team of only 11 developers and the composer have been working on this game for a little over 3 1/2 years.

Each of the devs used to be a lead on other big name titles like Wolfenstein, Gears Of War, Bulletstorm, etc. - so it's like having 2 or 3 developers in each one🤘🏻💯
Cool I Googled on them and it turns out they are located in Uppsala Sweden 💪 Had no idea!

Found a developer walkthrough I hadn’t seen before, several months old but if someone else has missed it too, check it out!

Kuranghi

Cool I Googled on them and it turns out they are located in Uppsala Sweden 💪 Had no idea!

Found a developer walkthrough I hadn’t seen before, several months old but if someone else has missed it too, check it out!

The game looks super great, I'm very excited but I hope the stutter in this video is just small framerate drops below 60 that they can fix/optimise out. If its frame-pacing issues, more and more these days I find that doesn't get fixed in the final release, the devs either can't see it or don't consider it a big enough deal to do anything about.

I wouldn't say this if it was in just one video they released, but its happening in every video posted in this thread and all the others I've seen of the game. I'll be playing on PC anyway so hopefully I can use external sync solutions to fix it if they don't, but I'm also getting tired of this, I know there are times when frametimes might spike during autosaving and loading world data, or other operations that are nothing to do with GPU load, but having frame-pacing problems is just frustrating because you can't always fix it, even with a lot of jiggery-pokery.

If a game has wildly flutuating GPU usage that means its hard to lock to X framerate (Example: RE2&3 remakes) thats annoying for sure, but at least you can get almost perfectly paced frames by lowering resolution or framerate in that case.

This game has an "isometric" view so you aren't so close to the character that stutters in animation matter as much as say, in an FPS, BUT because of that view the camera movement is at a constant pace and thats what makes the stutter so visible to me.

Top Bottom