• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise just had its best sales year ever

kiphalfton

I wouldn't qualify boring fetch quests, collecting stuff, items with 3 paragraphs of lore, or grinding to level up as "content". I think the word people are looking for is "padding", which should be criticized and not praised.

BootsLoader

Banned
Sure they are. Mind-blowing, no. But they provide a lengthy campaign, plenty to do (if you are a collector), and provide alot of gaming hours for your gaming dollar.

Solid 7 and 8s easy, everytime. Thats consistently good in a franchise that spans 12 games.
So as long as there’s something to do (no matter if it’s nicely constructed and well executed) we are ok right?

BootsLoader

Banned
I get it.

They're barely AC games anymore but I just treat them as random RPG like games so I can enjoy them. Any time I think about AC or the lore and how AC uses the Animus as an excuse to do random shit I hate it again.
Thank you very much. You really nailed it. That’s exactly what I thought and I can’t understand why it sells so much. People like repeated content every year? Like wtf?

Edit: Damn sorry for the multi post. I thought the comment will merge automatically. Can a mod merge them please?

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
So that means just because you don't get it, obviously others do and the formula is working and people don't mind. Is your skull this thick? Lol
My skull thick? Well maybe, I don’t argue. I just think that people should pay 60 and 70 bucks for quality content and not some generic re-skinned piece of (put whatever you want here) with repeated quests etc. Anyway. Your opinion is different and I respect that. Thank you.

Thank you very much. You really nailed it. That’s exactly what I thought and I can’t understand why it sells so much. People like repeated content every year? Like wtf?

Edit: Damn sorry for the multi post. I thought the comment will merge automatically. Can a mod merge them please?

Repeated content ? Didnt they changed the decade old formula just 3 games ago ? These were practically 3 fresh games, Origins through Valhalla

BootsLoader

Banned
After black flag it feels the same to me. Ok they made it more open world and some fog elements. Still the same generic stuff from them. No quality quests, any kind of innovation or differentiation. Anyway, nough said for the series. Won’t lose more time on this.

My skull thick? Well maybe, I don’t argue. I just think that people should pay 60 and 70 bucks for quality content and not some generic re-skinned piece of (put whatever you want here) with repeated quests etc. Anyway. Your opinion is different and I respect that. Thank you.
Generic re skins and repeated quests?

Please explain to me how any first person shooter that exists today is different at its core mechanics from an fps game in the 90s?

Wanna know what the difference is between Halo Combat Evolved and DOOM from 1990s?

DOOM

-Go into a room
-Kill demons
-Find where to go
-Go into a room
-Kill demons

Halo Combat Evolved

-Go into a room
-Kill aliens
-Find where to go
-Go into a room
-Kill aliens

Assassins Creed is based of replicating real world locations from different eras. What do you honestly expect every time there is a sequel? Aliens invading Paris? Ok

BootsLoader

Banned
Generic re skins and repeated quests?

Please explain to me how any first person shooter that exists today is different at its core mechanics from an fps game in the 90s?

Wanna know what the difference is between Halo Combat Evolved and DOOM from 1990s?

DOOM

-Go into a room
-Kill demons
-Find where to go
-Go into a room
-Kill demons

Halo Combat Evolved

-Go into a room
-Kill aliens
-Find where to go
-Go into a room
-Kill aliens

Assassins Creed is based of replicating real world locations from different eras. What do you honestly expect every time there is a sequel? Aliens invading Paris? Ok
That’s why I hate those series too, that’s what I don’t understand with some people. But taste is taste.

That’s why I hate those series too, that’s what I don’t understand with some people. But taste is taste.
What series you do not hate? My Barbie Adventure? You must hate all video games then. All videos games are repetitive to a certain extent. The question is whether that repetition is good or bad and is fun or not. You hate Halo and DOOM? You must hate CoD, Battlefield, Crysis, Wolfenstein, Titanfall, Half Life, Duke Nukem too then?

Problem is not people. Problem is YOU. Because you have some weird ass logic and standards that make no sense. You can dislike whatever you want. Its your right, but you bring 0 value and 0 logical discussions to the table, because you don't have any good explanation to explain your own argument in a logical manner.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
So as long as there’s something to do (no matter if it’s nicely constructed and well executed) we are ok right?
I'm not. But for alot of folks, its just fine. Some people only have the budget to purchase a few games a year, having some fluff and an excuse to run around in these game worlds, is just fine. Its when they make it mandatory is when it frosts my cookies a bit.

Remember, your contention was AC is a BAD game. I don't think they are bad, none of them are. They are all in the 7-8s...with an occasional 9 (Black Flag, AC2)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's only the loud small minority morons who don't enjoy the game. Meanwhile, people who enjoy the formula don't mind it and will continue enjoying the franchise such as me.

Its the same problem with Call of Duty people who say "I am done! My last one! /proceeds to buy the next game" and then they complain "omfg! Stop milking!" Idiots.

It is not moronic to enjoy a game for 30 or so hours but complain that you have to keep playing the same thing for another 70hours to complete the main story. Some people just want something to play for a couple weeks in the winter before moving on to something else, not something that requires 2.5 work weeks worth of your life to complete. Valhalla could have been 2 AC games released in separate years and most AC fans would have been fine with that.

Kuranghi

I started to watch the gameplay footage of the new DLC just there and there were like 3 crappy animation stutters/bugs within the first 30 seconds so I just turned it off. I appreciate that people like the game in isolation but its disappointing when put up against the old stuff imo.

I really hope they get back to the old magic soon, I don't really like it but I don't even care if its the new "RPG-AC" style as long as they actually make the faces/animations as good as they were fucking 7 years ago.

Is that so much to ask?

sinisterpanda

Neo Member
What can I say people really like doing dull quests in dull Ubisoft open-world. Story is always mediocre. Wonder if I see any good Ubisoft game before I die.

Last edited:
Top Bottom