• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Atlantic: Stop Firing the Innocent

It's not a long piece, so just actually go and read it.

It seems like people have actually started noticing that cancel culture is way out of control and no one is safe from cancellation these days. Let's see what happens now, I suppose. We are pretty overdue for a backlash against cancel culture at this point and who knows what will happen after that. If we can prevent any more innocent people from being canceled, it would only improve the actual discourse in this country.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Noticing this in social media. The biggest cheerleaders of this stuff suddenly saying, 'Too far.'

Frankenstein terrified by his own monster, or people quickly realizing how much damage this is doing to leftism, even for the last people to pay attention to this stuff?

samporter

Banned
The white liberals fear the "racist" label because they know their wealth and previlege can be taken away. Rich celebrities, professionals class, and public servants benefit greatly by pandering to the poor and stupid. They know their six figures jobs can be done by anyone so they are terrified of losing their station in life. They hide their fear with false support for racial equality and social justice.

These white liberals practice a lifestyle of racial seperation and exclusion. In the county of Los Angeles, the richest, safest and most desired areas(Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Palos Verdes) are dominated by white liberals. These neighborhoods show the true face of the white liberals, living behind gated communities away from the poor blacks and hispanics. They preach multiculturalism and equality yet prefer a lifestyle of racial seperation.

Sooner or later they will toss away the facade when they realize they have ruined the state by encouraging too many unproductive people to move in. When the working class whites move out, there will be nothing buffering the rich white liberals and the poor minorities.

DiscoJer

The irony here is that the Atlantic did exactly this last year. They hired conservative (and somewhat trollish) columnist Kevin Williamson,, he wrote one article (saying abortion is murder and abortionists should face the death penalty), the staff complained about it and got fired.

The white liberals fear the "racist" label because they know their wealth and previlege can be taken away. Rich celebrities, professionals class, and public servants benefit greatly by pandering to the poor and stupid. They know their six figures jobs can be done by anyone so they are terrified of losing their station in life. They hide their fear with false support for racial equality and social justice.

These white liberals practice a lifestyle of racial seperation and exclusion. In the county of Los Angeles, the richest, safest and most desired areas(Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Palos Verdes) are dominated by white liberals. These neighborhoods show the true face of the white liberals, living behind gated communities away from the poor blacks and hispanics. They preach multiculturalism and equality yet prefer a lifestyle of racial seperation.

Sooner or later they will toss away the facade when they realize they have ruined the state by encouraging too many unproductive people to move in. When the working class whites move out, there will be nothing buffering the rich white liberals and the poor minorities.
I read this in CJ's voice from San Andreas.

Ornlu

Banned

It's not a long piece, so just actually go and read it.

It seems like people have actually started noticing that cancel culture is way out of control and no one is safe from cancellation these days. Let's see what happens now, I suppose. We are pretty overdue for a backlash against cancel culture at this point and who knows what will happen after that. If we can prevent any more innocent people from being canceled, it would only improve the actual discourse in this country.

Too late for The Atlantic, TBH. They gave into the mob years ago, and at this point nobody who reads that publication cares about having a moral code or whether or note innocent people get hurt. This article is, at minimum, 5 years late.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can't we cancel this Yascha Mounk guy. Has anyone dug into his Twitter yet, can't let this kind of talk go unpunished.

Dontero

Banned
It is not "leftism" it is straight up maoism.

It was leftism when people wanted only some small social benefits. From what i see this is straight up maoisom where people have to be reeducated by force and people who are doing that only wait till they got actual power. I wrote it in other thread but i full expect now corporate terrorism if not this year then in next few.

Companies going political is bound to create huge fireworks.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It is not "leftism" it is straight up maoism.

It was leftism when people wanted only some small social benefits. From what i see this is straight up maoisom where people have to be reeducated by force and people who are doing that only wait till they got actual power. I wrote it in other thread but i full expect now corporate terrorism if not this year then in next few.

Companies going political is bound to create huge fireworks.

While a good point, our entire left, from elected politicians to the majority of the people that support and elect them, seem to have wholeheartedly embraced extremism, or don't mind it.

There's a few classical liberals and stragglers that don't know where they are anymore, but it's fair to call this leftism, or modern leftism.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Too late for The Atlantic, TBH. They gave into the mob years ago, and at this point nobody who reads that publication cares about having a moral code or whether or note innocent people get hurt. This article is, at minimum, 5 years late.

Yep. This is what makes me think this is calculation rather than any sort of genuine reflection.

You've been ruining lives and culture for years, and just now start growing a conscience about it?

I have a feeling that someone, somewhere took a moment to think about it, and realized how bad their precious 'optics' truly were.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yep. This is what makes me think this is calculation rather than any sort of genuine reflection.

You've been ruining lives and culture for years, and just now start growing a conscience about it?

I have a feeling that someone, somewhere took a moment to think about it, and realized how bad their precious 'optics' truly were.

More likely they realized they too were a shitlord 10 years ago and made stupid jokes online and are about to be cancelled.

Dontero

Banned
While a good point, our entire left, from elected politicians to the majority of the people that support and elect them, seem to have wholeheartedly embraced extremism, or don't mind it. There's a few classical liberals and stragglers that don't know where they are anymore, but it's fair to call this leftism, or modern leftism.

It is more like they don't understand it. Republicans were completely clueless about whole thing until Trump got "fact-checked" they had 2 years of complete control over congress, senate and presidency and they didn't do anything on that front because they didn't know it existed.

Democracts aren't in better position. What started as Bernie crowd and had a lot of folks who just wanted to help those on the bottom didn't realize that whole thing was taken over by ideologues from academia. Among old class of democrats there are plenty of conservatives but now they are basically riding train with this mainstream and don't know how to reject it.

In normal situation those people would form their own party and they would stay at extreame clearly pointed out by their motives and virtues. But since US has 2 party system they highjacked democratic party.

At this point i really don't see any other thing than political violence. Either maoist democracts will take power and go for the kill (in this case republicans and business around them) or Republicans in defense go full McCarty.

Neither of which will lead to peace but to effectively civil war, either slow or fast one. Problem is that this thing is spilling up. UK already is taken over and people go to jail just for some facebook posts and more stuff is slowly creeping in.

Kadayi

Banned
Good article but what is kind of scary is none of the companies contacted seemed interested in re-evaluating their sudden decisions in any way. I found the story of the electrician particularly disturbing given he was himself a poc and that guy who essentially bated him into providing him with Twitter ammunition upon realising he had done fucked up just 'Noped' the fuck out of there. There has to come a point where companies develop some backbone and stop kowtowing to Twitter hate mobs.

Last edited:

poppabk

Good article but what is kind of scary is none of the companies contacted seemed interested in re-evaluating their sudden decisions in any way. I found the story of the electrician particularly disturbing given he was himself a poc and that guy who essentially bated him into providing him with Twitter ammunition upon realising he had done fucked up just 'Noped' the fuck out of there. There has to come a point where companies develop some backbone and stop kowtowing to Twitter hate mobs.
But that is pure capitalism. Why risk your companies image over one easily replaceable employee, a companies image is worth a thousand times what a good rank and file employee is.

Kadayi

Banned
But that is pure capitalism. Why risk your companies image over one easily replaceable employee, a companies image is worth a thousand times what a good rank and file employee is.

Do you think the Twitter mob kept tabs on that company after he was fired versus move onto the next thing? Given the truth of things and that the guy who took the photo acknowledged it was wrong before deleting himself do you honestly think there would be people out there still baying for the employees blood? I'm pretty sure anyone who followed that story probably wants to forget ever having been involved.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It is more like they don't understand it. Republicans were completely clueless about whole thing until Trump got "fact-checked" they had 2 years of complete control over congress, senate and presidency and they didn't do anything on that front because they didn't know it existed.

Democracts aren't in better position. What started as Bernie crowd and had a lot of folks who just wanted to help those on the bottom didn't realize that whole thing was taken over by ideologues from academia. Among old class of democrats there are plenty of conservatives but now they are basically riding train with this mainstream and don't know how to reject it.

In normal situation those people would form their own party and they would stay at extreame clearly pointed out by their motives and virtues. But since US has 2 party system they highjacked democratic party.

At this point i really don't see any other thing than political violence. Either maoist democracts will take power and go for the kill (in this case republicans and business around them) or Republicans in defense go full McCarty.

Neither of which will lead to peace but to effectively civil war, either slow or fast one. Problem is that this thing is spilling up. UK already is taken over and people go to jail just for some facebook posts and more stuff is slowly creeping in.

I do feel a line has to be drawn, and it's this year, to me. That's arguably too forgiving. If one now, finally has not come to understand what this movement is about, while participating wholeheartedly in it, my ability to give the benefit of the doubt just isn't there anymore. The mask is off. People need to decide if they're Americans or subversives trying to topple a system, culture, and way of life altogether.

I understand the frustration, and the show of cultural power over the last few weeks has been immense (and likely intentional), but I think we have options before it comes to civil war.

We just have to use them. As I said, the mask is off. Everyone should understand what we're dealing with now, even the stragglers. It's now the time to talk to people, politically organize and influence, and use every single trick in the book to seek justice.

poppabk

Do you think the Twitter mob kept tabs on that company after he was fired versus move onto the next thing? Given the truth of things and that the guy who took the photo acknowledged it was wrong before deleting himself do you honestly think there would be people out there still baying for the employees blood? I'm pretty sure anyone who followed that story probably wants to forget ever having been involved.
You really think they fired him because they really believed in ...well... anything other than covering their asses? Do you honestly think the Twitter mob care about truth. The company keep him on and the Twitter mob is more likely to stick around, hell the photo could retrend 5 years later.

Dontero

Banned
I understand the frustration, and the show of cultural power over the last few weeks has been immense (and likely intentional), but I think we have options before it comes to civil war.

People who plan for years this will not just leave without doing anything. Moreover like every marxism movement they seriously believe they are doing good. They are highly organized, they already control most of institutions and media and what is worse they pretty much took "means of production" aka corporations.

Right now you can see clearly in plain day fascists who do not hide anymore. They no longer care about staying hidden. Which means it is already too late. They already target people in broad daylight and they have support from both corporations and local government.

It is clear as day that US is heading into civil war. The only question is when it will happen and how fast conflict will go. The speed of civil war will set level of violence.

But who *specifically* controls something?

It seems there is no actual leadership, as if this is a decentralized movement.

Suppose wokesters/BLM/whoever wins the civil war, whatever that means, who is going the be the boss? Or just have civil war to get tribalism.

Ornlu

Banned
But who *specifically* controls something?

It seems there is no actual leadership, as if this is a decentralized movement.

Suppose wokesters/BLM/whoever wins the civil war, whatever that means, who is going the be the boss? Or just have civil war to get tribalism.

There's a few historical examples that one could draw parallels from. Marxists of whatever stripe you prefer/collectivists tend to either take power in 2 ways:

1. One dominant "flavor" of Marxist eventually takes power in a country, immediately stomps on everyone, including any other "flavor" of Marxist. They rule until the obvious faults of their political regime cause their inevitable downfall.

2. A broader movement forms within an already present chaotic time within a country. There may be many different factions with competing interests and goals. Eventually the movement takes power, and immediately goes to war with itself. Whomever wins the war takes power. They rules until the obvious faults of their political regime cause their inevitable downfall.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I dont feel bad for that Arab store owner. His daugher is a racist because most Arabs are racist and she learned that shit at home growing up, without a doubt.

Arabs are the original slave masters.

Top Bottom