• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
No idea. Politicians. Liberal/Labor. They’re all a bunch of untrustworthy cunts out to better their own situation and they don’t give a flying fuck about you or I. Deception. Mismanagement. Cunts.

Don’t mind me. My cigarettes just went up by $5 a pack overnight because of these fuck heads and I’m not happy, Jan.
This is true, but at least under this particular brand of cunts I don't have to castrate myself at the altar of climate change.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Just as the GFC recession was not Obama’s fault, neither is the current economic slowdown the LNP’s fault. You can only play the hand you’re dealt and the global commodities slump from ~2012 onwards has coincided with the LNP’s stint. The local Australian economy is a function of the global economic conditions which are not good right now.
That's tough titties. LNP are in charge and have been for most of the decade, they need to own this shit for once. They are still trying to blame Labor and everyone else for their problems, that's how weak they are.

Today the government has been madly attempting to spin the GDP figures as good. So let’s cut straight to the point – the figures are terrible and are among the worst we have seen this century. But what makes it worse is this government would have us believe they saw them coming.

How bad are things? Today’s figures show the worst annual economic growth for 18 years. GDP per capita is now lower than it was a year ago, productivity is plunging and the economy is pretty much staying above water purely because of government spending and a drop in imports due to weak investment and household spending.
Because profits in the mining sector have grown so strongly and compensation to employees is growing so weakly, the share of national income going to workers has plunged. The last time the share of national income going to workers was this low, the Beatles had just toured Australia

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
That's tough titties. LNP are in charge and have been for most of the decade, they need to own this shit for once. They are still trying to blame Labor and everyone else for their problems, that's how weak they are.

Meanwhile, Australia Post just announced price hikes for parcel mail. Got to make that money up somewhere. Let’s just tax the fuck out of everything.

Bunch of incompetent bastards.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Meanwhile, Australia Post just announced price hikes for parcel mail. Got to make that money up somewhere. Let’s just tax the fuck out of everything.

Bunch of incompetent bastards.
They made a $192m loss, so they are raising the price of everything.

They'll start charging people money for pissing in their pot plants soon.

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Well I don't support them blaming Labor, but Labor were extremely lucky that their last stint coincided with the biggest mining boom in history. The current slow economy is downstream from the global economy.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
To say that the current economic conditions are not the Coalition’s fault is not entirely true.

The Coalition has been in power since 2013, during which their level of economic reform has been pretty poor by historic standards.

Heck the key contributor to the current downturn - private and household debt is an issue that the Coalition has actively ignored (e.g. lax lending by banks).

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Give me a couple of billion and I'll spend it all at JB & Bunnings. Boom, crisis averted.

Or raise the minimum wage and give people on Newstart/Pensioners more, they'll spend it which will help retail.

Last edited:

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Give me a couple of billion and I'll spend it all at JB & Bunnings. Boom, crisis averted.

Or raise the minimum wage and give people on Newstart/Pensioners more, they'll spend it which will help retail.
Minimum wage should be reduced if not abolished altogether. It doesn't create wealth, it simply redistributes it such that it distorts the real value of goods, increases the welfare class, reduces the working class, and widens the gulf between them.

I see you're a fan of the Kevin 07 free shit approach to the economy. Cunt was lucky commodity prices were so high at the time. I still remember that stupid $900 "stimulus package" aka pokie slush fund.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
I see you're a fan of the Kevin 07 free shit approach to the economy. Cunt was lucky commodity prices were so high at the time. I still remember that stupid $900 "stimulus package" aka pokie slush fund.
LCD TV sales exploded thanks to that gift from Rudd.

A $1000 stimulus package around the time the PS5 is released would be nice.

Last edited:

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
LCD TV sales exploded thanks to that gift from Rudd.
Naturally, but so too did pokie and booze revenue. Absolute waste of money and the economy was fine without it because of the commodity prices. We really are the lucky country due to our abundant natural resources. They’re the primary reason we survived GFC without recession. Tax cuts are a better way of stimulating the economy anyhow but they don’t have the instant gratification and don’t redistribute wealth to the lower classes.

Also, let’s not forget that Krudd gutted the CSIRO and the ABS to fund his free shit shenanigans.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
Naturally, but so too did pokie and booze revenue. Absolute waste of money and the economy was fine without it because of the commodity prices. We really are the lucky country due to our abundant natural resources. They’re the primary reason we survived GFC without recession. Tax cuts are a better way of stimulating the economy anyhow but they don’t have the instant gratification and don’t redistribute wealth to the lower classes.

Also, let’s not forget that Krudd gutted the CSIRO and the ABS to fund his free shit shenanigans.
Sort of.

Mining actually crashed with the GFC and took a year or so to recover so it did not directly save us from a recession. However, the surpluses due to commodity prices in the lead up to the GFC were important in avoiding a recession - i.e. the Government pumped cash into the economy in the form of school halls and cheques.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: KojimaLovesMiyazaki

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Sort of.

Mining actually crashed with the GFC and took a year or so to recover so it did not directly save us from a recession. However, the surpluses due to commodity prices in the lead up to the GFC were important in avoiding a recession - i.e. the Government pumped cash into the economy in the form of school halls and cheques.
It aided in the recovery too. The 3 years from 2009-2012 were glorious.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has been let off lightly by the headlines reporting “only” the weakest economic growth since the GFC, thanks to a little cherry-picking of 12-month periods.

The blunt fact is that after six years of various Liberal prime ministers and treasurers, Australia has just recorded its worst financial year since the 1990-91 recession.

That’s what goes down in the annual budget figures, what becomes a treasurer’s record.

What’s worse again is the statistics and geopolitics indicate pretty much more of the same for this financial year. That means unemployment continuing to rise, dismal productivity and sub-par wages growth.

And it’s loud-and-proud government dogma to actually tighten fiscal policy this year anyway.

Given that Treasurer Frydenberg’s April budget forecasts demonstrated he had no idea of what was happening outside his bubble, the Pollyanna forecasting of better times any year now have no credibility while the government sticks with demonstrably failing policy.

The government is trying to use the excuse of “international headwinds” for last year’s performance, but those genuinely threatening headwinds haven’t reach us – yet.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has been let off lightly by the headlines reporting “only” the weakest economic growth since the GFC, thanks to a little cherry-picking of 12-month periods.

The blunt fact is that after six years of various Liberal prime ministers and treasurers, Australia has just recorded its worst financial year since the 1990-91 recession.

That’s what goes down in the annual budget figures, what becomes a treasurer’s record.

What’s worse again is the statistics and geopolitics indicate pretty much more of the same for this financial year. That means unemployment continuing to rise, dismal productivity and sub-par wages growth.

And it’s loud-and-proud government dogma to actually tighten fiscal policy this year anyway.

Given that Treasurer Frydenberg’s April budget forecasts demonstrated he had no idea of what was happening outside his bubble, the Pollyanna forecasting of better times any year now have no credibility while the government sticks with demonstrably failing policy.

The government is trying to use the excuse of “international headwinds” for last year’s performance, but those genuinely threatening headwinds haven’t reach us – yet.
*Paging KojimaLovesMiyazaki KojimaLovesMiyazaki * . Defense force needed stat. *paging KojimaLovesMiyazaki KojimaLovesMiyazaki *

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
They made a $192m loss, so they are raising the price of everything.

They'll start charging people money for pissing in their pot plants soon.

Teach those bogans to answer the door when the postie knocks.

A QLD postie would have stomped on the parcel and then pissed on it. While staring straight into the camera the whole time.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

The pollies should be booze tested as well. Go over the limit, you don't get to vote on things.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Why do you hate bogans and why should they not be allowed to vote labor?
Are you asking me or Jacqui?

I don't hate bogans and they can vote for whoever they want.

The politicians can also vote for what they want when in parliament, but they should be sober while doing it.

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

What’s worrying and scandalous is that the weak economy was not caused by some global shock – it has been deliberately engineered.

The failure of the Morrison forecasts is NOT due to any problems with the global economy. Indeed, commodity prices and the terms of trade have delivered huge trade surpluses and a surplus in the current account. The tail-winds to the Australian economy from overseas are roaring and are a critical factor why the economy has avoided recession.

Even though the Reserve Bank clearly should have been more proactive in its policy settings, it has, to its credit, moved interest rates to record lows as it tries to do some of the heavy lifting to get the economy out of the slow lane.

The economic problem also lies with the misguided tea-party economics of Mr Morrison and his Treasurer Josh Frydenberg as they work to lock in a budget surplus at the expense of economic growth, jobs and wages.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Australian exports by sector:

Taking primary and raw resources industries into account as the main driver of our gdp growth (comprise 70% of our exports), we are a resource based economy in terms of growth.

Internal growth is anemic/stagnant under ever greater stress by an aging workforce and pension scheme which eats 40% of the annual budget , any expansion since 2005 has occurred in the energy and agriculture sectors and this is set to continue.

I think we should produce more gold. Not just a raw resource, it can double up as a currency reserve/backup in future when the petrodollar bites the dust.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Australian exports by sector:

Taking primary and raw resources industries into account as the main driver of our gdp growth (comprise 70% of our exports), we are a resource based economy in terms of growth.

Internal growth is anemic/stagnant under ever greater stress by an aging workforce and pension scheme which eats 40% of the annual budget , any expansion since 2005 has occurred in the energy and agriculture sectors and this is set to continue.

I think we should produce more gold. Not just a raw resource, it can double up as a currency reserve/backup in future when the petrodollar bites the dust.
Where am I?
I work from home mostly but work for silicon valley. I will be there next week for the annual one-on-one meetings at the developer conference.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
GDP growth these days is mostly underpinned by Government consumption, IIRC.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Poor Bolt, had to attack his beloved LNP.

“This is Scott Morrison using the race card to protect Liu from the questions and criticisms she would get even if she was as non-Chinese as say, Sam Dastyari, who was actually forced to resign as a Labor Senator for himself getting too close to the Chinese regime.”

Cracklox

Jun 4, 2012
While I'm all for people protesting and standing up for what they believe in why do they have to be organized in areas that shut down a bunch of infrastructure and inconvenience ALOT of people? That bridge is a pretty damn busy part of town that I head through pretty often (not today thankfully)

Couldn't they have just gone over the road and done something in the acres of parkland around the music bowl. Plenty of trees to tie yourself up to as well

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
While I'm all for people protesting and standing up for what they believe in why do they have to be organized in areas that shut down a bunch of infrastructure and inconvenience ALOT of people? That bridge is a pretty damn busy part of town that I head through pretty often (not today thankfully)

Couldn't they have just gone over the road and done something in the acres of parkland around the music bowl. Plenty of trees to tie yourself up to as well
In most cases, if protestors did their thing off to the side and in a peaceful manner, most people would just ignore them.

So, they have to be as obnoxious and annoying as possible to make people turn their attention. Like a child pleading “Mum, look at me! Look at me! I’m doing it! Look! You didn’t look! Muuuuuuuuum!

KojimaLovesMiyazaki

Formerly 'matt404au'
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

They’re spoiled children who never learned to take no for an answer so they’re screaming and stamping their feet.