• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I never liked ScoMo and never voted for him. I voted for the legendary Clive Palmer (has an awesome burger named after himself).
If you people that are complaining now had also voted for Palmer instead of this tone-deaf, possibly mentally challenged, oversized ewok, we wouldn't have this discussion now.

Say what you want about Palmer, he offers his helicopter to help relief instead of going to Hawaii to drink margaritas and make an ass out of himself.
(Remember the big fires in Blue Mountains when John Howard showed up in his track pants, with a slab of VB and told people that he will take care of things. Howard would not approve of this tosser. He is probably half pommie also.)

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I think it is real. ScoMo and his office heard about the Fallout76 launch and said : hold my beer

EDIT: remember: there are actually people paid real money in charge and approving these things.
Eh I think the ad is a big nothingburger but if the donation link is sending money to the LNP instead of directly to relief funds then that’s fucked m8

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Eh I think the ad is a big nothingburger but if the donation link is sending money to the LNP instead of directly to relief funds then that’s fucked m8
For sure. I don't care about the ad, he can run whatever ads he wants. The donation link going to his party instead of the relief funds,
that is a whole other level of "how can I fuck up even more?"

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
For sure. I don't care about the ad, he can run whatever ads he wants. The donation link going to his party instead of the relief funds,
that is a whole other level of "how can I fuck up even more?"
He seems desperate and is flailing about doing more damage than if he just did nothing

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
It's real. They've removed the link now.

He seems desperate and is flailing about doing more damage than if he just did nothing
He's just not a good leader. He helped them win the election because he was the most "blokey" guy the LNP had which worked well against Shorten, but now that he has to do some hard work he's struggling.

If he hadn't of gone on holiday, things wouldn't be as bad for him. When you are PM, the country comes ahead of everything, including your family, especially in times of crisis. If you can't make that commitment, step aside and let someone else do it.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
He's just not a good leader. He helped them win the election because he was the most "blokey" guy the LNP had which worked well against Shorten, but now that he has to do some hard work he's struggling.
I see him as Kevin Rudd v2. Some buerocrat with no leadership skills and no charisma that just stumbled in from nowhere because the other guy were worse.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I see him as Kevin Rudd v2. Some buerocrat with no leadership skills and no charisma that just stumbled in from nowhere because the other guy were worse.
Rudd would be doing better in this situation though. All of the ex-PMs would be doing better.

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
This video sums up Scotty from marketing perfectly. I never liked Abbott as a leader but there is no doubt that personally he is a great bloke. Abbott and Albanese have been working their arses off during this crisis while Scott has been sitting on his.

Reactions: Bullet Club

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Why is Barnaby Joyce quoted?
He should focus on taking care of and the upbringing of all children he has with employees, assistants and other random women he has met.

If I want to know his opinion about something. Which will happen never. I will call him on the telephone and ask.
Until then, please keep him away from my newspapers and television.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Why is Barnaby Joyce quoted?
He should focus on taking care of and the upbringing of all children he has with employees, assistants and other random women he has met.

If I want to know his opinion about something. Which will happen never. I will call him on the telephone and ask.
Until then, please keep him away from my newspapers and television.
Barnaby’s complexion is evidence of global warming

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017

The kids would be safer with the drag queens than they would be with the creepy Young Lib members.

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
wow just makes you realise how shit labor campaigned and also that Maybe Morrison is just a fluke from last time.

to be honest both parties should be shit scared.

liberals Hold a majority of just a few seats andmany seats by small percentages. And by the own enquire into last years election they basically won because labor tripped over themselves, and lots of preferences from disgruntled voters voting one nation and Palmer- who could also vote labor in future and have done so in the past. Also climate change in some polls is bigger for more Australians than education and health. This should scare the shit out of the libs especially with right wing Morrison and Dutton as the PM or PM in waiting respectively.

but labor can’t be complacent. They can’t afford to make albo show huge leftism either like in britain with Corbin look what happened there. Also a swing towards them would mean they win- it’s so close- but if they swing only goes away from libs and into third parties labor won’t win it.

who fucking knows. Both parties are just hung up on bullshit since Rudd got knived. You have climate deniers everywhere but you know what? In 2007 Howard and Rudd both brought carbon plans to that election.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
wow just makes you realise how shit labor campaigned and also that Maybe Morrison is just a fluke from last time.

to be honest both parties should be shit scared.

liberals Hold a majority of just a few seats andmany seats by small percentages. And by the own enquire into last years election they basically won because labor tripped over themselves, and lots of preferences from disgruntled voters voting one nation and Palmer- who could also vote labor in future and have done so in the past. Also climate change in some polls is bigger for more Australians than education and health. This should scare the shit out of the libs especially with right wing Morrison and Dutton as the PM or PM in waiting respectively.

but labor can’t be complacent. They can’t afford to make albo show huge leftism either like in britain with Corbin look what happened there. Also a swing towards them would mean they win- it’s so close- but if they swing only goes away from libs and into third parties labor won’t win it.

who fucking knows. Both parties are just hung up on bullshit since Rudd got knived. You have climate deniers everywhere but you know what? In 2007 Howard and Rudd both brought carbon plans to that election.
If Labor hadn't embraced feminism and general identity politics, I would've voted for them at the last election just like I had at every previous election when I believed they still represented the working class. In my view, those kinds of politics are a bigger threat to society than climate change, which I think is now acting as a Trojan horse for historically-demonstrably bad policy and which I believe we can find technological solutions for anyway. The science is being abused because it was always about long-term (2050 or later) background trends, not a strawman to bash and blame for every weather event in the short term. The weaponisation of it for political goals sends off all kinds of alarm bells in my head and when I see the unwashed, dreadlocked vagrant types shutting down my city for their own anti-social, egotistical wants, it sends me running to the hills and embracing their political opposition. I suspect I'm not the only ex-Labor voter in this position.

While I previously voted for Kevin '07, their later carbon tax plans were an abomination because they would've hamstrung our mining industry when times were good and offered no recompense when times were bad. The mining industry is known to be volatile and I can't support skimming the profits during boomtime while letting it fend for itself during the downturn. If those carbon plans were in place during the mining downturn of 2012-2016, it would've been absolutely disastrous for the Australian economy and I believe we would've had the recession everyone was expecting after GFC. Wayne Swan can crow about his handouts stimulating the economy all he likes, but the fact is that GFC coincided with the biggest mining boom in history and our strong mining industry is the only reason we survived it. Moreover, why should we target the supply end of the system? We aren't the ones burning it and releasing the carbon into the atmosphere. If we cut off our nose to spite our face, China and India will just get their coal demand met elsewhere. The next biggest supplier in our region is Indonesia, whose coal is far dirtier and worse for the environment than ours. Ash, sulphur, phosphorous, all the nasties associated with coal, are far more prevalent in Indonesian coal than ours. Relatively speaking, Australian coal is clean.

Reactions: charlie_s123

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
If Labor hadn't embraced feminism and general identity politics, I would've voted for them at the last election just like I had at every previous election when I believed they still represented the working class. In my view, those kinds of politics are a bigger threat to society than climate change, which I think is now acting as a Trojan horse for historically-demonstrably bad policy and which I believe we can find technological solutions for anyway. The science is being abused because it was always about long-term (2050 or later) background trends, not a strawman to bash and blame for every weather event in the short term. The weaponisation of it for political goals sends off all kinds of alarm bells in my head and when I see the unwashed, dreadlocked vagrant types shutting down my city for their own anti-social, egotistical wants, it sends me running to the hills and embracing their political opposition. I suspect I'm not the only ex-Labor voter in this position.

While I previously voted for Kevin '07, their later carbon tax plans were an abomination because they would've hamstrung our mining industry when times were good and offered no recompense when times were bad. The mining industry is known to be volatile and I can't support skimming the profits during boomtime while letting it fend for itself during the downturn. If those carbon plans were in place during the mining downturn of 2012-2016, it would've been absolutely disastrous for the Australian economy and I believe we would've had the recession everyone was expecting after GFC. Wayne Swan can crow about his handouts stimulating the economy all he likes, but the fact is that GFC coincided with the biggest mining boom in history and our strong mining industry is the only reason we survived it. Moreover, why should we target the supply end of the system? We aren't the ones burning it and releasing the carbon into the atmosphere. If we cut off our nose to spite our face, China and India will just get their coal demand met elsewhere. The next biggest supplier in our region is Indonesia, whose coal is far dirtier and worse for the environment than ours. Ash, sulphur, phosphorous, all the nasties associated with coal, are far more prevalent in Indonesian coal than ours. Relatively speaking, Australian coal is clean.
I disagree with some of the levels here but basically labor just going nuts on identity politics at the expense of just good policies elsewhere is right. Climate I think is more important and more Australians are thinking this now. It’s going to become a huge issue going forward with the coalition. While I haven’t moved over to liberals on this I wouldn’t be that far off it if they elected a more centrist leader rather than a thug like Dutton or idiot like Morrison.

Both parties need to push towards the centre.

Reactions: charlie_s123

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I disagree with some of the levels here but basically labor just going nuts on identity politics at the expense of just good policies elsewhere is right. Climate I think is more important and more Australians are thinking this now. It’s going to become a huge issue going forward with the coalition. While I haven’t moved over to liberals on this I wouldn’t be that far off it if they elected a more centrist leader rather than a thug like Dutton or idiot like Morrison.

Both parties need to push towards the centre.
I'm on board with both parties shifting back towards the centre, though I think Labor has gone further left than the LNP have gone right.

I really despise the fact that the narrative has changed from "our children's children are going to face disastrous consequences if we don't do something about climate change now" to "we're all gonna die tomorrow if we don't switch off fossil fuels overnight". The former I can get on board with while I think the latter is essentially yelling fire in a crowded theater. I don't believe that the current bushfire situation is a result of climate change, moreso poor preparation relating to creeping green policy; arson; and an unusually dry season relating to El Nino which is on a roughly 10 year cycle. I assume you grew up here -- remember all those waterwise programs we had back in the mid-late 2000s? When there were record droughts and dam levels were running low? That was a result of the last major El Nino cycle. I worked for local council in civil water distribution in 2009-2010 so I had first hand experience with the planning/engineering side of it.

I also think that if SloMo gets his Royal Commission, it will be revealed that there were a lot more deliberately lit fires than the media are currently willing to admit. In terms of incentives, it makes total sense for the Extinction Rebellion types to deliberately light fires that they can then point to as evidence of climate change and justify shoehorning in their communist "solutions". Before accusing me of conspiracy theorising, just know that many of the recent fires in California and the Amazon Rainforest were deliberately lit. The media in general knew about this yet continued to cry "climate change action now". Doesn't that activate your almonds? A major factor in both of these cases was that the policies of the current left wing Californian government and the recently-ousted Brazilian left wing government reduced funding to forestry services which left a whole pile of tinder lying around as a result. These are the same people now crying foul and calling for immediate climate change action, i.e. higher taxes and carbon plans, for a problem of their own creation. In our case, even CNN is admitting that the backburning wasn't up to scratch, though they're couching it in terms of white man bad and saying the natives knew how to backburn 50,000 years ago so why don't we?

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
One of the Young Liberals in the video killed himself.

Mr Gavin, a gay man, previously made the news in 2017 for opposing same sex marriage.

The then 19-year-old fronted a 'You Can Say No' rally, saying: 'I support what marriage really is and I'm gay.'

He also made media appearances as a spokesman for the Australian Monarchist League.

Last edited:
  • Triggered

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Sometimes I wonder if people in other countries think about/realize how much the place they live in sucks compared to Australia.
Like today, when I discovered Woolies were selling Lamington flavored chips.

Thankyou Clive for making Australia great. I know in my heart that this could never have happened without you working behind behind the scenes. Thankyou!

A week from now I will have the Clive Burger. It will be awesome. God bless Australia and God bless Clive for making Australia great.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Sometimes I wonder if people in other countries think about/realize how much the place they live in sucks compared to Australia.
Like today, when I discovered Woolies were selling Lamington flavored chips.

Thankyou Clive for making Australia great. I know in my heart that this could never have happened without you working behind behind the scenes. Thankyou!

A week from now I will have the Clive Burger. It will be awesome. God bless Australia and God bless Clive for making Australia great.
I almost puked when I saw those chips recently.

Reactions: Bullet Club

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
My brother likes lamingtons and even he said no to trying those chips.

There's been some really weird chip flavours coming out recently.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
They actually do taste just like real QLD Lamingtons.
TBH I assumed that they would taste slightly like what they are supposed t emulate and then there would be a weird and strong aftertaste of some chemicals that should not be allowed in foods.
But actually the do taste pretty much like a normal lamington does.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
They won't replace him for at least a year if they do give him the chop. There's still ages to go until the next election.

Another corrupt cunt, Fat Joe. Australia's worst treasurer.

Last edited: