• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It's mainly because parents would need to stay home with the kids, which means there could be a shortage of health care workers.
It is not the parents that will stay home. They have jobs to go to so they will send the kids to the grandparents instead.
That is why closing the schools is a bad idea.
(The kids all seem to get very mild symptoms anyway so just let all of them get immunity)

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think they want to be independent. It's WA that wants that, because we don't pay enough attention to them.

All Tassie wants is an AFL team.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
That is retarded and only theatre.
They can find a job for a couple hundred people, at most.
But likely a hundred thousand people in victoria are already laid off.
And in two weeks half a million or more of them will be laid off.

Anecdotal evidence:
My wife spend Thu to <today> in Brisbane. Seeing her brother off early and his wife. They had to go back to europe while there are still flights.
Wife stayed at a hotel near CBD as the sole and only guest at the entire hotel.
Her brother and family went down earlier and spent time at a motel near the airport as the sole and only guest.
They went to an italian restaurant ate, drank and spent the evening there as the sole and only patrons.
Then they moved closer to the CBD to wait for the rescheduled flight after the cancellation, also being the only family at the whole hotel, near CBD.
Wife met them and went to a chineese restaurant last night and aside from them there was only a single other table that had patrons.
These places are all bancrupt before the end of the month and everyone there will be laid off.

Few weeks from now there will be virtually no hotels left in business. Zero motels will be in business.
Virtually every single restaurant will be bancrupt and will not re-open ever. All staff are likely alreay laid off or will be by next week.

I expect probably 2 milion jobs lost short term and a deep depression. I expect this to be "lighter" than what europe or us will face.
Get ready for 20-30%+ unemployment rates. Best case.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Up here in farming country, farmers are hurting bad since the amount of backpackers are fast approaching zero and there are no one left to harvest produce that can not be done by machinery.
I am reaching out to them to offer myself and my son that we can work full day every sat and sunday every weekend going forward to just help them come though. We just exited a long long draught and now this for the farmers.

I am doing what I can do to help. I offer free labor 2 full days a week to help with the fields and the harvests.
I like having working farms around.

I will unfortunately not have time to hoard toiletpaper. I will be busy help the local farmers survive.

Last edited:

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Up here in farming country, farmers are hurting bad since the amount of backpackers are fast approaching zero and there are no one left to harvest produce that can not be done by machinery.
I am reaching out to them to offer myself and my son that we can work full day every sat and sunday every weekend going forward to just help them come though. We just exited a long long draught and now this for the farmers.

I am doing what I can do to help. I offer free labor 2 full days a week to help with the fields and the harvests.

I will unfortunately not have time to hoard toiletpaper. I will be busy help the local farmers survive.
Sincerely, with no trace of bullshit or sarcasm, you fucking legend. More of this and we’ll all come out of this shit in better shape.

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005

I know you mean well, and this may make it tougher for the farmers but....

why don't they give a fair wage (Not cash in hand, actual "Lucky Country" Aussie wage) to people who have lost their jobs?

It's commendable you want to use your free time. I mean it. But people in hotels, events, pubs, hospo, tourism, travel, and then... when all of them lose their jobs... everyone not in medical or govt. will be affected by downturn. Those people need jobs too.

In any case I'm not sure I know an answer. I get that these people won't just be driving up to the farms, but if the states were smart they'd kill two birds with one stone and do something like what Andrews has just started in VIC. If you're losing hours or a job sign up and they will try to set one up.

Side note I work as a travel agent and it's really scary right now. I think we'll pull through but surely there will have to be either forced time off or people sacked. It's brutal, we've spent the last 3 weeks just flat out cancelling bookings, or frantically trying to get people home.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Do whatever you want. If it is improving things, so much the better. I live in farming country, I care about local issues. Round here farmers are hurting so I want to help them.

Maybe you live in an urban area, I am sure there are worthy causes and businesses to help not go under where you live too.
Do it. Help your neighbour.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
... what Andrews has just started in VIC. If you're losing hours or a job sign up and they will try to set one up. ...
What Andrews and VIC is doing is really just political theatre. They can fix a new job, maybe, for a few tens of people.
But reality is that in VIC already they have already lost at least a hundred thousand jobs.
In a month they will be a well over half a milion jobs lost.

It is just theatre.
Maybe they will hire these people to the ~20.000 very recent job openings that quantas had?

Reactions: matt404au and Cunth

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I would like to see a tv show where scott and jacinda were stranded on a remote island and they had to repopulate the world but could never get to it or agree who looked most like a man and should be on top.
Then after season three it turns out it was just a failed experiment and the russians nuke the island to start over with new test subjects.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I would like to see a tv show where scott and jacinda were stranded on a remote island and they had to repopulate the world but could never get to it or agree who looked most like a man and should be on top.
I'd like to see Jacinda do it with John Howard on Big Brother Uncut.

High quality Australian TV.

• Triggered
Reactions: matt404au

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Is Aussie government doing anything to keep businesses going?
A couple of stimulus packages have been announced.

Another thing they are doing is that they will pay up to $21k to small businesses that keep apprentices employed during this time.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
A couple of stimulus packages have been announced.

Another thing they are doing is that they will pay up to $21k to small businesses that keep apprentices employed during this time.
Good to see some action - sounds broadly in line with what other countries are doing (sorry - being a nosey Brit).

Reactions: Bullet Club

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Turns out that the far left can actually meme.
This was actually a really funny joke.
Maybe it is only the far left in the us that has had the humor part of their brain rotted away?

I lauged at it. Was funny.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Maybe it is only the far left in the us that has had the humor part of their brain rotted away?

That ad at the bottom of the page though

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I also didn't get that lovely ad.

Fun times ahead, lads...

- “Non-essential services” to shutdown in NSW and Vic
- South Australia and Western Australia to close borders from March 24
- WA investigating Rottnest Island as potential quarantine zone
- PM says to prepare for “more draconian measures to enforce social distancing”
- Jobseeker payments to double as part of a "$189 billion support package”

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Fun times ahead, lads...

(the tweet)
Why not?
Everything is shutting down. Lets shut down the government too. At least they will not be able to make stupid decisions and make things even worse.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
#FreeBrap

I’d hatefuck her

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Are you offering me your wife?

TaySan TaySan halp
If you put it like that I have to reconsider my previous stance.
If that was my wife I would prefer being tied up and locked in a cage watching other people fuck my wife
instead of me fucking my wife.

As I have a 14 inch cock, the entire discussion is academic of course. I don't have to go scrape the bottom of the barrel.
Just imagine how sad and meaningless your life is if this thing is the best you can score.

Last edited:

slugbahr

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2019
The edge of a circle

Fun times ahead, lads...

I love our recent history of revolving door Prime Ministers.
Choose a leader of your party, then ditch em when they actually have to lead the country, and fail.
Rinse and repeat.
Maybe you should realize that your entire party is full of incompetent useless fuckwits - politicians in general, really.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Hmmm should every country set up dedicated pandemic units or should chinese just stop eating exotic animals...
We’re all going to be Chinese after China scoops up the entire world for cents in the dollar after all this. So you’re going to eat your bat soup and like it!

Funny, maybe were in a WW3 and don’t even know it. China Winner!

• Triggered
Reactions: hariseldon

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
  • Triggered
Reactions: matt404au and Cunth