• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
What will remain open:

— Supermarkets
— Banks
— Pharmacies
— Petrol stations
— Freight and delivery services
— Butchers, bakeries, grocers
— Newsagencies
— Bottle shops
— Accommodation section of hotels

Bottle shops!

No need for people to panic buy booze then.

• LOL
Reactions: charlie_s123

charlie_s123

Apr 19, 2018
What will remain open:

— Supermarkets
— Banks
— Pharmacies
— Petrol stations
— Freight and delivery services
— Butchers, bakeries, grocers
— Newsagencies
— Bottle shops
— Accommodation section of hotels

Bottle shops!

No need for people to panic buy booze then.

Thank christ!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Bullet Club

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
I'm glad they are shutting down non-essential retailers. I work part time at JB and today was absolute madness. A huge bunched together crowd stampeded in when we opened the doors and it was crazy busy all day. It was absolute mayhem where people bought everything under the sun and didn't respect social isolation. The amount of sick, coughing and unhygienic people coming through our doors was ridiculous.

People are too fucking stupid and selfish to be responsible so now this is what we get. I hope essential retailers step up hygienic procedures and employee protection because it is reckless and out of control right now. No doubt countless people have spread it through retailers across the country by displaying no caution or care for others.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
people bought everything under the sun
What were they mainly buying? Blurays & DVDs?

I went to the local recycle center yesterday and got a bunch of $2 & $3 blurays. A few seasons of GoT on BR for $3 each is pretty good.

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019

I went to the local recycle center yesterday and got a bunch of $2 & $3 blurays. A few seasons of GoT on BR for $3 each is pretty good.
A lot of people were buying games and consoles for their kids since they won't be going to school. A lot were trying to get computers, monitors, webcams, headsets and so on for home offices. Quite a few were after freezers to store food.

Then there was your typical cashed up bogan coming in for a you beaut 75" TV. However, most people were buying random crap that they didn't even need but were doing it just for something to do since they aren't working at the moment (for a reason they obviously don't understand or think is important). It makes you realise how doomed we are as a species.

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
Not me though. I’ll dance on their skulls
I'm with ya mate. Those cowards are done for; they don't even smoke crack.

I'm gonna be there at the end with old mate Viper while sitting on fat stacks of dunny paper

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Cunth

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

I go to the recycle centre here all the time. Perfect place to find really rusty and mishandled tools for close to nothing.
I have a hobby where I restore all these old tools, remove the rust, sharpen the edges, paint them, make new hardwood handles
for them etc. I am getting pretty good at it nowadays. And it is fun to take a ruined old tool and restore it.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
NSW and VIC going full bogan as usual.
I have said it before but it needs saying again.
Why dont we just shed Boganstate-1 and Boganstate-2 and return them to NewZeeland?

Clive. You know what needs to be done. A big wall to fence off QLD from pro the bogans down south.
A beautiful wall. The best wall. A wall other countries will be jealous of.

A wall to NSW would probably reduce the crime rate quite significantly here in QLD as well.
Clive, you have the resources. Do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
#FreeBrap
A lot of people were buying games and consoles for their kids since they won't be going to school. A lot were trying to get computers, monitors, webcams, headsets and so on for home offices. Quite a few were after freezers to store food.

Then there was your typical cashed up bogan coming in for a you beaut 75" TV. However, most people were buying random crap that they didn't even need but were doing it just for something to do since they aren't working at the moment (for a reason they obviously don't understand or think is important). It makes you realise how doomed we are as a species.
Good for the economy 🤷🏽‍♂️

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I go to the recycle centre here all the time. Perfect place to find really rusty and mishandled tools for close to nothing.
I have a hobby where I restore all these old tools, remove the rust, sharpen the edges, paint them, make new hardwood handles
for them etc. I am getting pretty good at it nowadays. And it is fun to take a ruined old tool and restore it.
There are channels on Youtube that do that with rusty old tools. They usually end up looking great.

I've found lots of good gaming stuff at a couple of recycle centers around here. An Atari 2600 light switcher for $6, lots of more modern consoles like a PS3 Slim 160GB for $5, a Logitech G27 wheel/pedals/gear shift for $10 etc. Everything works, even though I don't think they test the stuff.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
There are channels on Youtube that do that with rusty old tools. They usually end up looking great.

I've found lots of good gaming stuff at a couple of recycle centers around here. An Atari 2600 light switcher for $6, lots of more modern consoles like a PS3 Slim 160GB for $5, a Logitech G27 wheel/pedals/gear shift for $10 etc. Everything works, even though I don't think they test the stuff.
What is a “recycle centre”?

EDIT: and for fuck’s sake use the Aussie spelling in an Aussie thread!

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Doesn’t sound like a smart thing to do during a pandemic. Go through somebody’s trash.

Just saying, lol.
The people that work at the tip sort it all and clean it. And it's from hard rubbish not from landfill, so it's not full of dirty nappies and snot rags. ;)

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
What is a “recycle centre”?

EDIT: and for fuck’s sake use the Aussie spelling in an Aussie thread!
It is a shop they have at the local landfill. You can get pretty awesome stuff there sometimes. Like a bicycle with a flat tire for 10$.
Or an handful of very old and very rusted hand tools, like saws, chisels, files etc, also for 10$ for as many as you can carry.

I bought a stainless steel basin for our local men-shed also for 10$.

Come to think about it, everything there costs 10 dollars.
I go there a lot to source old tools to restore and fix. I have a very large collection of very old and high quality saws.
Sadly they never seem to have any old stanley planes :-( And I don't want to spend like 600$ to buy one on ebay.
(I don't buy handtools for carpentry at bunning. Buying handtools at bunnings is in the same league as buying produce and food at walmart.)

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
It is a shop they have at the local landfill. You can get pretty awesome stuff there sometimes. Like a bicycle with a flat tire for 10$.
Or an handful of very old and very rusted hand tools, like saws, chisels, files etc, also for 10$ for as many as you can carry.

I bought a stainless steel basin for our local men-shed also for 10$.

Come to think about it, everything there costs 10 dollars.
I go there a lot to source old tools to restore and fix. I have a very large collection of very old and high quality saws.
Sadly they never seem to have any old stanley planes :-( And I don't want to spend like 600$ to buy one on ebay.
(I don't buy handtools for carpentry at bunning. Buying handtools at bunnings is in the same league as buying produce and food at walmart.)
I honestly don’t think South Australia has these. For one, I’ve never heard of them and two, I just Googled “recycle centre Adelaide” and all that came up are actual recycling businesses.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I honestly don’t think South Australia has these. For one, I’ve never heard of them and two, I just Googled “recycle centre Adelaide” and all that came up are actual recycling businesses.
I know there's at least one in SA because when Wood Hawker was still living there he was doing a Game Chasers style show and went to one. They had a Mega Drive 2 for $20 and he and his mates complained that it was too much.

I'll see if I can find it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Scopa

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
It was $25 for the MD2.

Imagine all the cool shit recycle centres would have gotten 20 years ago. SNES, MD, Amiga, Saturn etc...I bet some prick probably threw away their Neo Geo.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Interesting.
I bet they do have them. It is probably just not advertized on the internet.
Just go down to the local landfill and ask them.

The one here, well "shop" is maybe not the right word. is more like just a large fenced off area where you walk around and browse what they have. There is also a smaller shed with things that should be protected from the weather.
It is not a "shop" in the traditional sense :)

charlie_s123

Apr 19, 2018
Sometimes they have some really nice lounge suites at very cheap prices.

Out the back of the Mornington one they have gym equipment, mountain bikes, surfboards, kayaks and things like that.
Nice one. My folks live down that way, so next time I'm in town I'll have to check it out. (y)

Reactions: Bullet Club