• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Is walking the dog considered "essential"? It better be.

Edit: Just as I posted this, an ad came on TV and said as of 11:59pm tonight, there are only 4 reasons you can leave the house: Work, shopping, going to the doctor and exercise. The last one would include taking a dog for a walk.

Fuck. the key sentence fragment is :
... as monthly arrears from the ATO ...

so this will then actually only meaningfully apply to companies that are
1, still in business
2, makes so much profit that they would pay >3000$ per employee per month in tax
3, nothingburger.

So, retail, hotels, hospitality, restaurants, ...
how many of these companies that are struggling are paying company tax of >3000$ per employee?

Yeah, looks like Moore Park Beach tavern will not be eligble for any of this money. Everyone is so surprised.
I don't think there are any small businesses in Australia that pays >3000$ per month per employee to ATO.
Guess they are fucked. Fuck you Scott.
They are not struggling because payroll tax. They are struggling because you killed the economy.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Is walking the dog considered "essential"? It better be.

Edit: Just as I posted this, an ad came on TV and said as of 11:59pm tonight, there are only 4 reasons you can leave the house: Work, shopping, going to the doctor and exercise. The last one would include taking a dog for a walk.
Jesus Christ...

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It's employees earning $1500 before tax is taken out, so pretty much all full time employees. It's not paid $3k in tax.
Read the text. Key sentence is : ... as monthly arrears from the ATO ...
Arrears to ATO is basically that the company will be allowed to "go late" on their tax payments.
I.e. the whole benefit is that "they don't have to pay the tax they owe to ATO. For now."

How many small struggling companies are there that think that "our biggest problem right now is the monthly payroll tax we have to do to ATO. Without that payroll tax we would not go under." ?

Billy-bobs-burgers down at the surf club. How much tax do you think he pays per month to the ATO?
It is likely just he and his wife as a family business. How much tax does his business pay aside from payroll for himself and his wife?
A few hundred dollars?
He himself pays several orders of magnitude higher income tax than what his business pays in tax to the ATO.

It is a plan that will ONLY benefit large companies that pay significant company/payroll/... tax every month.
Any small business, handyman, etc seems to be fucked.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
The on-the-spot fine you get for being out of the house for non-essential reasons is $1600. Steep.

Help for renters on the way

Help for tenants will be considered at the national cabinet meeting to be held this Friday, after federal and state leaders referred the issue to their next meeting.

With calls growing for new measures to help residential and commercial tenants under financial stress, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the state and territory leaders agreed on Monday night to take the matter to their next meeting at the end of the week.

In a statement after the meeting, Mr Morrison said the coming meeting would consider arrangements for early childhood and childcare facilities as well. He noted the advice on schools has not changed.

"We will be living with this virus for at least six months, so social distancing measures to slow the spread of this virus must be sustainable for at least that long to protect Australian lives," Mr Morrison said in a statement.

The national cabinet meeting ended without any change in the guidance to Australians on social distancing.

Source: The Age

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
No NFL, No AFL, no having friends over for BBQ.
No dinner parties. No social life.
All the pubs and taverns are closed indefinitely.
And we should prepare to do this for 6 months at least.

Sounds fun. One month and we will have riots in the streets.
You can still join a hundred other people inside big w though

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
"If you are outside, or in your backyard, gathering in more than two people, if you are having friends over for dinner or friends over for drinks that are not members of your household, then you are breaking the law,” Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said yesterday.

Jesus. VIC has decided to go full retard. You can't even go out in your own backyard anymore.
Happy I don't live in VIC.

Though, if I were a cop in VIC, I would use this opportunity to measure out punishment to everyone I dislike.
I would hang out around their house and as soon as I see them enter the backyard I would fine them on the spot.
If they do it repeatedly I will arrest them and take them down to the station.
Everyday will be like a new victory!

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
I mean it's the right thing to do

but fuck me the bullshit libs will twist into after watching these chucklefucks drag labor for putting us in "GENERATIONAL DEBT!!" for getting us through the GFC

LABOR WASTE
LABOR SPENDING

And now... they do the exact same thing!

Kinda different when you are the ones responsible, isn't it??

I'm actually somewhat impressed by the responses, not what I'd expect out of the liberals to be honest.

I wonder how they will even try to bring the budget back after this. Surely we don't even sniff getting 'back in black' (fucking lol) until the mid 2030s at this point.

Tax the FUCK out of mining and big corps.

They don't create as many jobs as they say anymore (combo of automation and just lying- Adani for example only would give us 1500 jobs- how much do they actually give back to Australia past that- and what do they take in subsidies?)

If they piss off, take their subsidies and jam it into infrastructure projects here.
The piddly stimulus wasn’t what got us through GFC — the resources boom was.

lol @ your screeching about mining. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
mild criticism = screeching

snowflake
You said:

“Tax the FUCK out of mining and big corps.

They don't create as many jobs as they say anymore (combo of automation and just lying- Adani for example only would give us 1500 jobs- how much do they actually give back to Australia past that- and what do they take in subsidies?)”

You have no idea what you’re talking about. I worked on the feasibility studies for the Alpha and Carmichael projects. For Carmichael specifically, the 1,500 number parroted by Green groups in the media is the number of direct jobs with Adani. It ignores the peripheral jobs created in downstream functions like rail and port. The actual number is closer to 10,000.

Looking at the bigger picture, the world will very soon be looking to move on from China. India is next cab off the rank and if we block out Adani and GVK due to misguided Green ideology (and outright propaganda), we will seal our economic demise. Moreover, Indonesia will step in to fill the demand which you can’t just wish away with good intentions. Their coal is far, far dirtier than ours with higher impurities (ash, sulphur, phosphorous), and will make climate change worse than if India used coal from the Galilee Basin.

The lies are on your side of the fence, friend.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mickaus

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Police Minister Lisa Neville this morning announced a decision of National Cabinet to put a temporary ban on additional access to firearms and ammunition for recreation and sporting shooters.

Ms Neville said the number of attempts to access certain categories of firearms and ammunition had doubled in the past week from about 1,000 to 2,200.

Big Cox!

• LOL
Reactions: Scopa

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya

Big Cox!
I had to google this guy. Hahaha what a legend, his nickname is American Pie. Classic. Is he actually any good? I wouldn’t mind seeing some seppos in the NRL.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I had to google this guy. Hahaha what a legend, his nickname is American Pie. Classic. Is he actually any good? I wouldn’t mind seeing some seppos in the NRL.
Sometimes he's good, sometime's not so good.

He did help us win the 2018 prelim though.

Huge Cox!

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
You said:

“Tax the FUCK out of mining and big corps.

They don't create as many jobs as they say anymore (combo of automation and just lying- Adani for example only would give us 1500 jobs- how much do they actually give back to Australia past that- and what do they take in subsidies?)”

You have no idea what you’re talking about. I worked on the feasibility studies for the Alpha and Carmichael projects. For Carmichael specifically, the 1,500 number parroted by Green groups in the media is the number of direct jobs with Adani. It ignores the peripheral jobs created in downstream functions like rail and port. The actual number is closer to 10,000.

Looking at the bigger picture, the world will very soon be looking to move on from China. India is next cab off the rank and if we block out Adani and GVK due to misguided Green ideology (and outright propaganda), we will seal our economic demise. Moreover, Indonesia will step in to fill the demand which you can’t just wish away with good intentions. Their coal is far, far dirtier than ours with higher impurities (ash, sulphur, phosphorous), and will make climate change worse than if India used coal from the Galilee Basin.

The lies are on your side of the fence, friend.
Sure thing snowflake

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
Eat a dick, leftie cunt. You sound like you're from Melbourne. Keep screeching about shit you don't understand. The rest of the country will keep doing the heavy lifting so you can enjoy your comfortable life.
ahaha

U mad bro?

sorry I’ll try not to upset you anymore. Anyway your boy just announced universal basic income so I wonder who is doing what now

snowflake

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Top communist in VIC gets angry when asked difficult questions :

“I’m not in the business of telling police how to do their job,” the Premier responded.

What? As a legislator the very definition of your job is to create law that the police (and others) are forced to abide by.
Or he does not want to own up to his own desicions?

(for foreigners that might not be aware, one thing that people in victoria are upset about is that his new laws about social distancing means that a couple that does not live together are no longer allowed to meet as a couple.
I.e. imagine you live in your house but your wife lives somewhere else for soem reason (studies? work?) she is no longer allowed to spend the night at your place. Or hug, or kiss, or even shake hands. You and your wife are not even allowed to shake hands in that situation.
And people think he has gone full retard. And are getting angry.)

Or does he mean that his laws are only guidelines and then it is up to the police to independently interpret what the laws actually mean and if they should be enforced? That would be very dangerous. But hey, he is a commie.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Where’s the bit about the army backing police door to door? I can’t see it.
This link should work

It even has lots of pictures of army-dudes and dudettes in camouflage colours to show that they are serious!

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I wonder if they are actually doing this? That looks so set up.
Oh, it is theatre for sure.
But what is the message? That our police force is so useless that they need help from the army when going and checking in on some pensioners that they are staying at home as they should?

Since the cops are perfectly fine going and arresting dangerous bikies and drugdealers without need for the army to help, what exactly is the message here? Practice people skills before martial law?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Barnaby's dream:

The other night I woke from a nightmare. In the nightmare, I was in a car crash in a Comcar, the white chauffeured cars used by federal politicians. There was a car coming towards us, passing another car on a corner on the crest of a hill on double lines.

We smashed into both cars but rather than stopping at the crash scene my driver reversed and sped from the accident while being chased by a screaming man in another car. My driver hid our car behind a hedge in a hospital car park. Nearby were drug-addict patients smoking on the lawn. I sat beside my driver imploring him to return to the scene as terrible as that would be.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Cato