• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
And she’s a doctor. I wonder how many genders she thinks there are
Let us never fucking open the border between QLD and NSW, and by proxy VIC, and let there be mandatory questions at the border crossings like "Do you have a visa" and "How many genders are there" before we let visitors in.

Stop the mind virus from destroying our state. Mind distancing.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Let us never fucking open the border between QLD and NSW, and by proxy VIC, and let there be mandatory questions at the border crossings like "Do you have a visa" and "How many genders are there" before we let visitors in.

Stop the mind virus from destroying our state. Mind distancing.
Innocent NSW and VICtorians, as long as you can answer the very simple question at the border checkpoint you can come and go as much as you want. You are welcome here.
We should also have a program for frequent travellers where if you put the answer of the check question on your facebook page, you get a device, like when you go onto the freeway, that will go beep-beep when you approach the QLD border and you can just drive straight through.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Remember that woke sports journo who made those tweets in Anzac Day, got fired from SBS, moved to Japan with his wife, his wife left him and stole their kids, and then he got arrested for breaking into her family home?

• Triggered

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Remember that woke sports journo who made those tweets in Anzac Day, got fired from SBS, moved to Japan with his wife, his wife left him and stole their kids, and then he got arrested for breaking into her family home?
Links or it never happened.
Woke journalist. Had sex with a woman and had a child. Yeah, right. Pull the other one.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Hmm. He wasn't like that from birth. He was normal at one stage and then he turned.
Interesting.

That might have consequences on how we do the border checks.
It they might test negative at the border and we let them in and they later turn then the border checks will be meaningless.
Maybe we need to just keep an iron-curtain forever then if we want to be safe.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
Can you explain to me how the Ruby Princess debacle is Dutto’s fault?
I actually don’t think it’s Dutton it seems likeNSW police / local or state govt but it’s definitely fair to ask the question. The deflections early on were pissweak, and huge percentages of Australia’s cases have come from a screwup by someone. The people deserve to have a fair and transparent look at who made the call.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017

It took 4 months for them to finally get them after people's houses burned down in January. They waited until a by-election was announced to do it. Pretty scummy.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie_s123

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
“In managing the disease within the community, Australia has been able to (control infection rates), whereas the US has not,” Mr Hutchinson said.

I really hope I am wrong on this but, northern hemisphere is just about to come out of flu season and hit late spring and summer.
Northern hemisphere, during full flu season has been hit a lot harder than Australia and NZ which basically were hit in late summer when the flu is almost non-existant.

The hubris is amazing.

Will Hutchington take responsibility if we have a huge spike when flu season actually starts in August or so? Or he only takes credit that "at the end of a super hot summer, few people got flu compared to the northern hemisphere where they at the same time had a cold winter"?

I think Australia might have managed very little. No matter what, if a flu breaks out towards the end of a very warm summer. It will not hit very hard. What matters is when we enter the actual flu season when people actually start getting the flu in large numbers.

Lockdown mark II predicted sometime in September. This year and every year.

Last edited:

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
“In managing the disease within the community, Australia has been able to (control infection rates), whereas the US has not,” Mr Hutchinson said.

I really hope I am wrong on this but, northern hemisphere is just about to come out of flu season and hit late spring and summer.
Northern hemisphere, during full flu season has been hit a lot harder than Australia and NZ which basically were hit in late summer when the flu is almost non-existant.

The hubris is amazing.

Will Hutchington take responsibility if we have a huge spike when flu season actually starts in August or so? Or he only takes credit that "at the end of a super hot summer, few people got flu compared to the northern hemisphere where they at the same time had a cold winter"?

I think Australia might have managed very little. No matter what, if a flu breaks out towards the end of a very warm summer. It will not hit very hard. What matters is when we enter the actual flu season when people actually start getting the flu in large numbers.

Lockdown mark II predicted sometime in September. This year and every year.
I don’t think so. I get your point but flu doesn’t make COVID numbers go up- it just makes the death rate go up because people catch covid and flu or hospitals are overloaded. So when numbers go past a certain point that the system can’t handle then it might hurt (obviously neither of us know for sure- it’s going to take years to discern the actual numbers)

Australia did well because government acted. Like South Korea (also northern hemisphere in flu season) we have put in big polices in place. For South Korea it was tracking and tracing as well as lockdowns. For us it was lockdowns and extremely strict border control.

there will be flare ups and lock downs- that will continue until we have a vaccine or decide as a community to accept deaths from covid 19 if we don’t get a vaccine. But for the moment I think federal and states should be pretty fucking happy with themselves. And not to get too sappy the Australian people. Apart from a few outliers (idiots going to the beach, some city folk going to local parks because “we are young we won’t get it”, country folk having parties because it’s “not affecting us”) Australians, federal and state, labor and liberals have largely been together on this apart from a few spats which largely have been watered down quickly (look at the weekend with Tehan speaking out against Andrews, then scomo looking at Andrews polling numbers and then telling Tehan to apologise like the little bitch that he is) and I think that is good.

Reactions: mickaus

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I don’t think so. I get your point but flu doesn’t make COVID numbers go up- it just makes the death rate go up because people catch covid and flu or hospitals are overloaded. So when numbers go past a certain point that the system can’t handle then it might hurt (obviously neither of us know for sure- it’s going to take years to discern the actual numbers)

Australia did well because government acted. Like South Korea (also northern hemisphere in flu season) we have put in big polices in place. For South Korea it was tracking and tracing as well as lockdowns. For us it was lockdowns and extremely strict border control.

there will be flare ups and lock downs- that will continue until we have a vaccine or decide as a community to accept deaths from covid 19 if we don’t get a vaccine. But for the moment I think federal and states should be pretty fucking happy with themselves. And not to get too sappy the Australian people. Apart from a few outliers (idiots going to the beach, some city folk going to local parks because “we are young we won’t get it”, country folk having parties because it’s “not affecting us”) Australians, federal and state, labor and liberals have largely been together on this apart from a few spats which largely have been watered down quickly (look at the weekend with Tehan speaking out against Andrews, then scomo looking at Andrews polling numbers and then telling Tehan to apologise like the little bitch that he is) and I think that is good.
Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that it is a lot easier to keep a flu under control during a very warm late summer than it is during a late cold winter.

As for the lockdowns. State wide lockdowns do not make sense to me. The states in australis are huge and varied.
It would make a lot more sense if it was done on a per council basis or even smaller granularity.

Have a look at Rules Beach : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_Beach,_Queensland
They are 86 people in that town and there are no big roads going through there. Either you are a farmer that lives there and works the farm or you just never have a reason to visit.
It makes no sense that technically they have to have the same lockdown rules as central Brisbane.
Now, these guys have about a two hours drive to get into Gladstone where I guess the nearest police station is so I doubt they will get into trouble if someone there decides to go sit on the beach for a few hours and cook up some snags on a portable stove. But still, statewide decrees like this makes no sense.

Why does my taxmoney go to paying council workers to drive out to Rules Beach to cordon off the playground they have for the handful of children that live there?

Last edited:

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that it is a lot easier to keep a flu under control during a very warm late summer than it is during a late cold winter.

As for the lockdowns. State wide lockdowns do not make sense to me. The states in australis are huge and varied.
It would make a lot more sense if it was done on a per council basis or even smaller granularity.

Have a look at Rules Beach : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_Beach,_Queensland
They are 86 people in that town and there are no big roads going through there. Either you are a farmer that lives there and works the farm or you just never have a reason to visit.
It makes no sense that technically they have to have the same lockdown rules as central Brisbane.
Now, these guys have about a two hours drive to get into Gladstone where I guess the nearest police station is so I doubt they will get into trouble if someone there decides to go sit on the beach for a few hours and cook up some snags on a portable stove. But still, statewide decrees like this makes no sense.

Why does my taxmoney go to paying council workers to drive out to Rules Beach to cordon off the playground they have for the handful of children that live there?
agree whole heartedly although rural / non city people are at risk of thinking they are safe when they are not as we have seen a lot in this country and others.

I think overarching laws for states are good but give some discrepancy council by council. Or perhaps ban on mass gatherings but the minute you have X active cases in an area state level lockdown laws in effect?

it’s tricky. If you say one town is fine what about the town over. What about people moving between?

Overall I agree though, if a system of more local rules was able to be implemented effectively then great.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Yeah I thought there was no way it would work on an iphone if the app is not being actively used

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
lockdowns easing on friday in nsw and i imagine qld as well. does the victorian lord even allow kids at school yet? lolz

• LOL

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Danny boy will announce what's happening tomorrow. They'll probably be going back soon.

My sister lives in NSW and her kids will only going to school once a week starting next week. Don't know if that's just a local thing in her area or if it's statewide.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Danny boy will announce what's happening tomorrow. They'll probably be going back soon.

My sister lives in NSW and her kids will only going to school once a week starting next week. Don't know if that's just a local thing in her area or if it's statewide.
That’s state wide. Hopefully it will keep increasing though. Gotta get this kid outta here

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Heard a good one yesterday on Sunrise.

Chairman Dan

Too bad the opposition soyboy who coined it could barely speak and looked like he wanted to cry because he couldn’t see his mum.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Heard a good one yesterday on Sunrise.

Chairman Dan

Too bad the opposition soyboy who coined it could barely speak and looked like he wanted to cry because he couldn’t see his mum.
Dan is great.
But they still have outbreaks there so he should INCREASE the lockdown not ease up on it.
Also, he should send in the cops with instructions to crack heads and break up the protests.

Use the steel boot to crush the uprising. Just like in China.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Dan is great.
But they still have outbreaks there so he should INCREASE the lockdown not ease up on it.
Also, he should send in the cops with instructions to crack heads and break up the protests.

Use the steel boot to crush the uprising. Just like in China.
I’m sure he would if he could. Lefties love their authoritarianism.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
And didn’t he win the last election with like 70% of the vote? lol

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
How are the ‘youths’ going in Victoria these days. Following the lockdown restrictions?

• Thoughtful

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Schlomo is about to drop jobkeeper early because his advisors tell him it doesn't work.
Is true. People in the tourism business are facing 5 to 10 years of long term unemployment
regardless of if jobkeeper ends tomorrow or in september.

I look forward to 30% unemployment so I can take advantage. I always wanted a chaffeur, Previously I just balked at
the concept of having to pay them minimum wage. If I can get a chaffeur by bartering for (cheap) basic food items for him and his family everyone is a winner! He can live in a tent behind the chicken coop so he will always be ready if I need to be driven somewhere at 5am or 11pm.
It has to be a him. I am sexist that way. The chaffeur must be a slightly overweight man in his 40s/50s and he must wear a uniform and a hat, no matter how hot it is.

It is gonna be glorious. I can pay him in subsistence levels of slightly off rice and beans rations.
Maybe I will get a butler and a couple of maids as well.

Thankyou scomo, all my dreams are coming true! This next decade is gonna be completely awesome.

Room and board.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

teacupcopter

Sep 1, 2005
lockdowns easing on friday in nsw and i imagine qld as well. does the victorian lord even allow kids at school yet? lolz
uhhh going by the timeline most Victorian kids will be at school full time quicker than nsw kids mate.

Nsw and vic are both playing it slow- which is good. We both have much higher outbreaks than others. I said it in the other thread but once again I really don’t get the antagonism on either side here. “Chairman dan lol” - no he was popular before and is more popular now, with the effeminate state libs limply trying time stroke themselves into an opposition by complaining about bats or the meat plant outbreak (that the federal libs have said was handled perfectly)

same thing with greens and lefties criticising Gladys in NSW. Harping on about the ruby princess (I do think that needs to be investigated and someone reprimanded but it’s a high pressure and crazy situation- I don’t think anyone should lose their job over it - and they are investigating!!) and saying it’s too early to open.

NSW and vic should take it slower, but keep the momentum. Good on WA, SA and NT for largely killing it. Ok marks to QLD and tassie, and at least they are closed off anyway. That has no bearings on the rest and scomo, Andrews and Gladys are all united in that.

creating infighting where there is none is the same type of political bullshit that aussies by and large hate. It’s also not going to go down well so any Politician trying it should tread lightly or polls will punish them

Reactions: Bullet Club

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Schlomo is about to drop jobkeeper early because his advisors tell him it doesn't work.
Is true. People in the tourism business are facing 5 to 10 years of long term unemployment
regardless of if jobkeeper ends tomorrow or in september.

I look forward to 30% unemployment so I can take advantage. I always wanted a chaffeur, Previously I just balked at
the concept of having to pay them minimum wage. If I can get a chaffeur by bartering for (cheap) basic food items for him and his family everyone is a winner! He can live in a tent behind the chicken coop so he will always be ready if I need to be driven somewhere at 5am or 11pm.
It has to be a him. I am sexist that way. The chaffeur must be a slightly overweight man in his 40s/50s and he must wear a uniform and a hat, no matter how hot it is.

It is gonna be glorious. I can pay him in subsistence levels of slightly off rice and beans rations.
Maybe I will get a butler and a couple of maids as well.

Thankyou scomo, all my dreams are coming true! This next decade is gonna be completely awesome.

Room and board.
So basically like Mexican immigrants in USA?