• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya

Collaborators. Lets keep the borders closed forever. These people should not be allowed on QLD soil.
Check out the equalising. This is what happens when you allow femininity into leadership. Equalising belongs in childhood where children are learning how the world works and need to be able to take risks with the comfort of getting straight back up. It does not belong in international trade and diplomacy.

“I think there are occasions when we do need to assert our independence, and I made it clear when I was asked should there be an inquiry into the pandemic, I took the view, yes, there should be, but I don’t think in the sense that we should be vilifying any particular nation.

“Every country will have to stand to account, their leadership will have to stand to account with how they reacted to the challenges that coronavirus actually presented to our respective economies and the welfare of our citizens.”

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Anyone else noticed how in the last week everything has changed from
"we have to save every possible life whatever the cost"

into now we have pivoted to

"we will always have some infections and deaths and that is sad but we must open the economy and tourism industry now. Even if someones granny dies".

Doesn't this change and this newborne cavalier attitude to grandma dying kind of make the initial "destroy the economy or granny will die" meaningless? We killed the economy to save grandma and then shortly later we decided grandma will have to take her chances and roll the dice because the economy is suddenly important again?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

sevoro

Jun 15, 2019
Australia
I blame incompetent leadership for the change in tune. I blame Rupert Murdoch owning the Liberal government for China owning Labor. And the job of a politician is to try and appease everyone without really saying anything of value, so the media always tries to ascribe meaning to their words when in fact those words are empty (at least for a majority of politicians), it's all smokescreen and mirrors..

• Thoughtful
Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

They are going full retard now. All of them and they are slugging wildly.
The virus will not go away. Viruses don't work that way.
So we are all ging to get it sooner or later regardless of what we do.
We should never have done any lockdown at all, maybe put all the old-folks houses in quaranteen but let the rest of the population
just get infected, recover and get on with their lives.

Still, closed border to NSW is funny and it keeps the bogans away :)

It is the problem with lockdowns and closing borders. It is really really easy to do but hard to undo.
Anyone that lifts a lockdown or opens a border will immediately be blamed to have blood on their hands for every single infection that happens afterwards.
Our economy is destroyed for the next 10 years. Hope it was worth it.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
I don’t understand why people are up in arms about the 60b. People filled the form in wrong, not the government. Also, it was an enormous stimulus package that had to be hastily rushed through. No one is at fault for the timeline they had to work with (except China). And it’s not like they accidentally spent an extra 60b — we’re spending 60b less than we thought we had to. How is that not a good thing? Labor seems desperate because the government have otherwise done a good job managing the Chinese Virus.

Reactions: zombrex and Cunth

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
It's because that money could have gone to people & businesses that needed it and didn't get assistance through Jobkeeper like casual employees, who lost their jobs because their was a limit on how much the government wanted to spend. So there's a whole bunch of people that were excluded from Jobkeeper that are now fucked due to the LNP's incompetence.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
It's because that money could have gone to people & businesses that needed it and didn't get assistance through Jobkeeper like casual employees, who lost their jobs because their was a limit on how much the government wanted to spend. So there's a whole bunch of people that were excluded from Jobkeeper that are now fucked due to the LNP's incompetence.
Casual employees who were employed longer than 12 months were eligible. Everyone else could get jobseeker. What’s the issue? And how was it LNP incompetence when people didn’t fill the forms out properly?

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Why is it the LNPs fault if people did not do their paperworks right?
LNP is at guilt for other people being incompetent?

It does not matter anyway in the big picture.
All these casuls will be unemployed for the next 5-10 years anyway.
What difference would some 3 months worth of charity from the government make?

Yeah yeah but Scott Morrisson said the economy would just snap back after the hibernation!
If it is so easy. Why didn't we "just snap back a V shaped recovery" last 10 recessions we had?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
This is from March 30:

The Morrison Government will provide a historic wage subsidy to around 6 million workers who will receive a flat payment of $1,500 per fortnight through their employer, before tax.

The $130 billion JobKeeper payment will help keep Australians in jobs as we tackle the significant economic impact from the coronavirus.
Enrolments for the scheme opened April 20.

That extra $60b they borrowed could be helping the economy out right now, instead of doing nothing.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
That extra $60b they borrowed could be helping the economy out right now, instead of doing nothing.
The australian economy is fucked no matter what we do right now. Thankyou scomo.
Maybe in 6 months we will bottom out and it will no longer get worse.
Then over the next 10 years we can rebuild and get back to a good economy again.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya

Probably. The LNP are incompetent after all. Mismanagers of the economy.

Do you still think the error was due to forms being filled out incorrectly?
I assume so. That’s what the nice TV lady told me.

Bit misleading with your jobseeker comment btw. Jobkeeper is 1500/fortnight for 6 months reverting to zero. Jobseeker is 1000/fortnight for 6 months reverting to 500. Jobseekers don’t lose anything if you average it over 12 months (though obviously some jobkeepers would switch to jobseeker after 6 months and come out ahead, but it’s not like jobseekers are getting a raw deal).

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I assume so. That’s what the nice TV lady told me.
Was it Credlin?

Bit misleading with your jobseeker comment btw. Jobkeeper is 1500/fortnight for 6 months reverting to zero. Jobseeker is 1000/fortnight for 6 months reverting to 500. Jobseekers don’t lose anything if you average it over 12 months (though obviously some jobkeepers would switch to jobseeker after 6 months and come out ahead, but it’s not like jobseekers are getting a raw deal).
People that were on Jobseeker/Newstart pre-Covid are better off, at least for 6 months and then go back to normal. People that lost there jobs due to not qualifying for Jobkeeper will end up worse off in the long run, if they can't get another job fairly quickly after September.

I know on paper it doesn't look that bad due to the way the Liberals have spun it and the money that has been used so far has helped, but that extra $60b could have stopped a lot more people becoming unemployed and could have stopped some businesses from closing forever if it had have been used correctly.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Was it Credlin?

People that were on Jobseeker/Newstart pre-Covid are better off, at least for 6 months and then go back to normal. People that lost there jobs due to not qualifying for Jobkeeper will end up worse off in the long run, if they can't get another job fairly quickly after September.

I know on paper it doesn't look that bad due to the way the Liberals have spun it and the money that has been used so far has helped, but that extra $60b could have stopped a lot more people becoming unemployed and could have stopped some businesses from closing forever if it had have been used correctly.
Ok and if they took out 200b we could have done even more. And if they took out 500b we could have done even more than that. As it stands, they have enough of other people’s money to survive on for the duration of the pandemic. People should be thankful for that rather than stamping their feet and saying it’s not enough.

Unfortunately some people are going to be worse off than before the pandemic. That’s the nature of economic downturns. The government can’t just wave a wand and make everything the same as it was before the pandemic. It is a zero sum game and any money that is borrowed will have to be paid back at some point. The onus is on them to vote for politicians who will enact policies to put the nation first and prevent these things from happening again. Right now that’s whoever will give China the middle finger and bring as much manufacturing home as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: mickaus

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Ok and if they took out 200b we could have done even more. And if they took out 500b we could have done even more than that. As it stands, they have enough of other people’s money to survive on for the duration of the pandemic.
They didn't need to take out $200b or $500b, they just needed to use the money they did take out properly. Which they didn't.

When Labor used money to get us through the GFC, all the Liberals did was moan and bitch about it for a decade. Now the Liberals have borrowed way more and mismanaged the usage of it, so they deserve to cop some shit.

• Fire
Reactions: mickaus

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
They didn't need to take out $200b or $500b, they just needed to use the money they did take out properly. Which they didn't.

When Labor used money to get us through the GFC, all the Liberals did was moan and bitch about it for a decade. Now the Liberals have borrowed way more and mismanaged the usage of it, so they deserve to cop some shit.
Labor didn’t get us through GFC, the unprecedented mining boom did. Labor didn’t do shit.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
The same mining boom we had during John Howard's time as PM?
What?

It was from around 2007 to 2012 but if you want to go all the way back it was a result of NAFTA which directly precipitated China’s rise and subsequent demand for steelmaking ingredients (coal and iron ore).

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
What?

It was from around 2007 to 2012 but if you want to go all the way back it was a result of NAFTA which directly precipitated China’s rise and subsequent demand for steelmaking ingredients (coal and iron ore).

It began in around 2003, when prices for commodities like iron ore and coal began rising. Although the price rise was driven by increased demand from China and other Asian countries, we'd had very low commodity prices for more than a decade and companies like Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton had been under-investing in creating new supply. No-one anticipated the surge in demand and the swift rise in prices.

Cleary says it was John Howard, not the Labor Party, who spent 90 per cent of the revenue in the first big surge of the mining boom.

'A Treasury paper actually confirmed that 90 per cent of a $330 billion revenue windfall was spent by the Howard government in the last few years of office,' he says.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Wrong. I used Bing.

And 2003 might be earlier than 2007.
The coal and iron ore prices may have started increasing in 2003 but that doesn’t mean it was boom time. Project approvals took time, and the increase was exponential not linear. Besides, whether it started in 2003 or 2007 is irrelevant to the point that our GFC insulation had very little to do with Labor’s monetary policy and everything to do with the enormous economic boost from the mining boom. That mining boom was a result of China’s growth, itself a result of Clinton’s NAFTA deal in 1994. A little temporary safety that now threatens our liberty.

Reactions: Bullet Club

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

Collaborators. Why are individual states allowed to sign agreements with hostile foreign governments in the first place.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
I guess the days of social distancing are over. I went to Costco today and it was packed. Everyone wanting giant packs of chips & 48 rolls of TP.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
I guess the days of social distancing are over. I went to Costco today and it was packed. Everyone wanting giant packs of chips & 48 rolls of TP.

Honestly I think the nagging left are way over the line here. I think SloMo’s response is perfectly reasonable. Given the scale and timeline of the project, I think they’ve done a good job, and the way it’s being framed by people like Shaun Micallef is totally dishonest.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Honestly I think the nagging left are way over the line here. I think SloMo’s response is perfectly reasonable. Given the scale and timeline of the project, I think they’ve done a good job, and the way it’s being framed by people like Shaun Micallef is totally dishonest.
The LNP do stuff like that all of the time. Like calling changes to franking credits Labor where going to do a retirement tax, even though it wouldn't have affected pensioners.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

They are not completely wrong.
JobKeeper is just bullshit to hide the real unemployment numbers.
He is borrowing from our kids, who will pay it back, so that he can give some boosted "unemployment numbers but by a different name" for the short term.
As soon as JK sunsets, virtually every one of them will go into unemployment.

And lets not even get started on Scomos secret plan that building a gas energy industry is what will snap us back to normal days.
Jesus fucking christ.

:-( Scomo was just supposed to be a placeholder until they found a proper leader. Then the fires happened and he fucked that up major. Then china-flu and he is just lost at sea.
It was not supposed to be this way. He was supposed to be a night-watchman until they found a proper leader but here we are.
Fuck. Even Albo starts looking good right now.

The sooner QLD can split and create neuOz as an independent nation/monarchy under Palmer as king the better.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

But instead of gold and jewelry, King Clive will have a necklace made of popcorn chicken, Burger Rings for rings, a Four n Twenty pie medallion and a KFC bucket as a crown.
That is my kind of king.
A king of the people for the people :)

In other news, QLD labor has decided we prolly should not open any borders at all until September.
At least it delflects attention away from all the corruption.

Why not, these crooks have already bancrupted the state so lets bancrupt all rural businesses too.

mickaus

Gold Member
May 30, 2019

I think that the Liberals have done a pretty good job this time around but they did moan about the last stimulus for so long. I am happy Josh Frydenberg is treasurer and not Joe Hockey, he was such a whiner.