• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It looks like he's out of the senate.
Who would have guessed.
His main electorate were people living on cattle-ranches, out-stations and abandoned mining-towns. And his main message to his potential voters were to worry about the religion of their next-door neighbors 100km away?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
right ive had enough of this. doesn't look like anything much else will happen tonight

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Do you like how the Strayan election thread is full of memes and jokes from both sides with no screeching or meltdowns in sight? This is how you do it all you other unStrayan cunts.
I have to say the level-headedness of everyone feels good man.

also, julia banks fail

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
So it turns out the polling was ~3-4% off across all/most pollsters. And this is in a country where voting is mandatory and the preferences of the various demographics are known in advance. What a joke. The media fails yet again at reporting reality.

Worth it to see the lefty meltdowns in their little online echo chambers. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

NPC melts are the best, aren't they folks?
I guess certain people never heard of the boy who cried wolf.

Oh well. Things turn over time, and soon we'll all look back at crazy people and recognize them for what they are;

Crazy.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Mar 30, 2012
Australia
www.neogaf.com
Do you like how the Strayan election thread is full of memes and jokes from both sides with no screeching or meltdowns in sight? This is how you do it all you other unStrayan cunts.
Well I wouldn't expect any different from Gaf these days.

"social media" however is full of meltdowns and tears unsurprisingly.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I'm sure they'll be fine.

These populist governments are very loud but don't really accomplish much.
lol @ this idiot thinking we’ve just gone full Brazil. We just re-elected the same government we’ve had for the past 6 years and they’re pretty much smack bang in the centre overall. I would bet good money with Sportsbet that you know nothing about Australian politics, farty boy.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
To be honest, the Australian government hasn't achieved much over the last 6 years.
  • there is still no climate change plan
  • there is still no energy plan
  • there is still no long-term plan to deal with the economic ramifications of the retiring baby boomers - in terms of pension and health
  • there is no infrastructure strategy beyond pork barreling - e.g. Victoria receives nowhere near its share of infrastructure funding based on population, and the money that is provided to Victoria is for things it doesn't want
  • the population strategy has gone MIA
  • economic reform has been bewilderingly anemic for a conservative government
  • there is nothing being done about Vertical Fiscal Imbalance
  • the NDIS rollout has gone poorly

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
I should add that on most of those points Labor would not have done much better, but they did go to the election with some big reforms (which i described a few pages ago)

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I should add that on most of those points Labor would not have done much better, but they did go to the election with some big reforms (which i described a few pages ago)
Their reforms were rubbish though and were solely about wealth redistribution. Labor is supposed to be the party of the working class but they instead targeted the class below that — the class of non-producers. I think this election showed that the everyday mum and dad still believe in the Aussie dream of owning your own home and then investing in another as a retirement nest egg. What did Labor think they were going to achieve with dismantling negative gearing? Who even asked for that besides envious millennials who want everything handed to them on a silver platter? I owned two properties by age 26 because I paid my way through an engineering degree then sacrificed the next 5 years away from home working my butt off in the mines. Why the fuck should some soy-sipping, Fitzroy dwelling arts graduate get a leg up when they don’t want to sacrifice their lifestyle and do something productive?

While your list above is technically correct, it needs to be considered in relative terms. I doubt that Labor would’ve done any better, and I think the lack of progress (actual progress, not this bastardised current_year me me me form of “progress”) was a function of the lack of stability. Turnbull spent his whole tenure having to worry about who was going to try to knife him next so of course he wouldn’t be able to achieve much, but let’s not pretend Labor are any better in that regard. I’m hoping that with the new party rules that prevent backstabbing, SloMo will actually be able to achieve something.

I should also point out that Labor likes to crow about how they saw us through the GFC without a recession but anyone could’ve done that with the unprecedented mining boom we had going on at the time. I know what it was like — I was there completing my graduate program with one of the big miners. Record profits and cash being splashed everywhere. And that’s what gives me the shits about all these climate radicals that are indoctrinating kids into taking days off school and marching to protest something they have no rational or realistic understanding of. That they can even afford to do that is a function of our prosperous economic conditions, but they want to destroy the very thing that gave them that. And for what? So we can stop producing our extremely high quality coal here and shift the supply side of the equation over to Indonesia, whose dirty coal would actually worsen the climate change problem? Why should we cut our economic balls off to satisfy a bunch of whiny indoctrinated kids whose “solutions” would actually make the problem worse?

Labor’s loss has actually restored my faith in the Aussie public somewhat. I was fully convinced that they were gonna romp home but now they have to take a long hard look at the ideas they were pushing and why they were rejected. I hope that the loss will provide the impetus for them to go through the introspection process and then get back to their political roots — fuck the greens off, fuck the rest of the regressive left that are trying to drag us all down into the economic mire, and get back to what they do best: empowering the everyday working class Aussie and building group-level economic success from the bottom up.

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
People keep saying the mining/resource boom is over, yet it still accounts for the majority of our economic growth and has been growing rapidly by share in the past 5 years: https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp-from-mining

The safest, most surefire route for a small population with a continents-worth of resources is to exploit the resources and use the proceeds to keep pepping up living standards. Norway has turned such a strategy into an institution thanks to its bountiful sea based oil and gas reserves. They use those funds to prop up welfare. We use ours to prop up welfare and the construction sector.

For those saying 'it's not sustainable long term-raw resources run out, markets abroad get saturated'-neither is tourism. Something happens abroad and they stop coming. Neither is IT-some asshole sanctions your biggest companies and you lose access to your biggest overseas market and supply chains. Yet nobody gets up in arms when those sectors are catered to. Yet tourism and technology sectors both rely on polluting industries and highly wasteful goods production to function.

We're still in the fetal stages of this country's development. Our population has room to grow, our resource base is still largely untapped. We still comprise a minuscule part of overall global co2 production. We should consider our own welfare first, above and beyond that of global considerations. We should do what is best for Australia. Labor lost the election because it was promising to cater to the globe, not to Australians.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
People keep saying the mining/resource boom is over, yet it still accounts for the majority of our economic growth and has been growing rapidly by share in the past 5 years: https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp-from-mining

The safest, most surefire route for a small population with a continents-worth of resources is to exploit the resources and use the proceeds to keep pepping up living standards. Norway has turned such a strategy into an institution thanks to its bountiful sea based oil and gas reserves. They use those funds to prop up welfare. We use ours to prop up welfare and the construction sector.

For those saying 'it's not sustainable long term-raw resources run out, markets abroad get saturated'-neither is tourism. Something happens abroad and they stop coming. Neither is IT-some asshole sanctions your biggest companies and you lose access to your biggest overseas market and supply chains. Yet nobody gets up in arms when those sectors are catered to. Yet tourism and technology sectors both rely on polluting industries and highly wasteful goods production to function.

We're still in the fetal stages of this country's development. Our population has room to grow, our resource base is still largely untapped. We still comprise a minuscule part of overall global co2 production. We should consider our own welfare first, above and beyond that of global considerations. We should do what is best for Australia. Labor lost the election because it was promising to cater to the globe, not to Australians.
Depends what you mean by boom and which commodity you're talking about. There was a huge market collapse in 2012 when China drastically cut its steel production and the spot price for coking coal dropped from ~AU$330/tonne to ~AU$100/tonne practically overnight then hovered there until around 2016. Iron ore, the other component of steel, went through a similar downturn. However, the mining industry as a whole remained a key pillar of our economy throughout that time.

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Depends what you mean by boom and which commodity you're talking about. There was a huge market collapse in 2012 when China drastically cut its steel production and the spot price for coking coal dropped from ~AU$330/tonne to ~AU$100/tonne practically overnight then hovered there until around 2016. Iron ore, the other component of steel, went through a similar downturn. However, the mining industry as a whole remained a key pillar of our economy throughout that time.
Well the beauty of our resource sector is that we have in abundance and can export so many different kinds of raw goods. Don't become reliant on oil, gas or steel. Keep it mixed.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Well the beauty of our resource sector is that we have in abundance and can export so many different kinds of raw goods. Don't become reliant on oil, gas or steel. Keep it mixed.
That's the strategy of the big miners like BHP and Rio Tinto. They're heavily diversified so that a complete wipeout of one commodity is barely a blip on their global profits. Look at the failure of BHP's venture into potash -- hardly affected them as a whole.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
Their reforms were rubbish though and were solely about wealth redistribution. Labor is supposed to be the party of the working class but they instead targeted the class below that — the class of non-producers. I think this election showed that the everyday mum and dad still believe in the Aussie dream of owning your own home and then investing in another as a retirement nest egg. What did Labor think they were going to achieve with dismantling negative gearing? Who even asked for that besides envious millennials who want everything handed to them on a silver platter? I owned two properties by age 26 because I paid my way through an engineering degree then sacrificed the next 5 years away from home working my butt off in the mines. Why the fuck should some soy-sipping, Fitzroy dwelling arts graduate get a leg up when they don’t want to sacrifice their lifestyle and do something productive?

While your list above is technically correct, it needs to be considered in relative terms. I doubt that Labor would’ve done any better, and I think the lack of progress (actual progress, not this bastardised current_year me me me form of “progress”) was a function of the lack of stability. Turnbull spent his whole tenure having to worry about who was going to try to knife him next so of course he wouldn’t be able to achieve much, but let’s not pretend Labor are any better in that regard. I’m hoping that with the new party rules that prevent backstabbing, SloMo will actually be able to achieve something.

I should also point out that Labor likes to crow about how they saw us through the GFC without a recession but anyone could’ve done that with the unprecedented mining boom we had going on at the time. I know what it was like — I was there completing my graduate program with one of the big miners. Record profits and cash being splashed everywhere. And that’s what gives me the shits about all these climate radicals that are indoctrinating kids into taking days off school and marching to protest something they have no rational or realistic understanding of. That they can even afford to do that is a function of our prosperous economic conditions, but they want to destroy the very thing that gave them that. And for what? So we can stop producing our extremely high quality coal here and shift the supply side of the equation over to Indonesia, whose dirty coal would actually worsen the climate change problem? Why should we cut our economic balls off to satisfy a bunch of whiny indoctrinated kids whose “solutions” would actually make the problem worse?

Labor’s loss has actually restored my faith in the Aussie public somewhat. I was fully convinced that they were gonna romp home but now they have to take a long hard look at the ideas they were pushing and why they were rejected. I hope that the loss will provide the impetus for them to go through the introspection process and then get back to their political roots — fuck the greens off, fuck the rest of the regressive left that are trying to drag us all down into the economic mire, and get back to what they do best: empowering the everyday working class Aussie and building group-level economic success from the bottom up.
The reforms were largely to remove a range of tax handouts that were unproductive and distortionary - and known to be so - when they were implemented. Franking credits, the super concessions, negative gearing, capital gains discounts have been looked at for many years by both parties.

It's nice you bought two houses, but encouraging investment in housing is generally bad economic policy. It increases house prices and diverts funding that could be directed towards more productive investments.

Also, I don't really care about the mining and environment debate - other than that we should create a system where both are addressed (like Norway has done).

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I'm sure they'll be fine.

These populist governments are very loud but don't really accomplish much.
We need a clown emoji for replies and everything @dragonfart28 posts.

@dragonfart28 is a perfect example of the far left crazies.
Did a populist party win? Do you even know where Australia is or which party won? Do you know what a populist party is?
Clue: far away and the liberals won, well, they kept power.

Joke is on you. The liberal party won, and held on to government. They won the last two elections too,. They are a centrist liberal party and they very often win
because Australia is very liberal and they mostly elect a Liberal government.

Calling a centrist liberal party "populist". Jesus Christ. The Liberals have been in power for 6 years already and very often win elections here since OZ
is a very liberal country. They didn't take power, they kept power since people here wanted to keep a liberal party in power.

This dog-whistling with "populist" which usually means "far-right" and "irresponsible" is disturbing and sounds like retardness on your person.
The Liberals won, not the fucking alt-right or the Nazi party. It was the LIBERAL party that won.

This is not an alt/far-right takeover in Australia. This is business as usual. A liberal government was elected to do liberal policies.
I do hope they continue to accomplish much, as does most everyone else in Australia.

Anyone trying to paint this as a populist takeover is an ignorant moron.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Albo is the Thai massage loving PM we need.
He does look like a rat. His face, his demeanor, but he is better than Shorten that is for sure.

His biggest advantage is that he does not have to go against a Meme-Master like Trump
who would absolutely destroy him with rat-boy-memes.

Good luck Albo.