• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Australian Politics Thread

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

This is how the far-left campaigned in QLD.

An economically depressed state that had already been hit hard by the downturn in mining.
I fail to comprehend how tone-deaf this is.. Who approved of this campaign?

Sure , it barely worked for Obama telling them to "learn to code", but we don't have a bay-area to take on coders here. Shut down their workplace and only income and then shame them for being poor and disenfranchises >

captainraincoat

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2010
from working at an election centre the amount of people who simply went left to right 1/2/3/4/5/6 which happened to have liberal as number 1 leads me to believe there are alot of people who honestly dont give a shit about voting
i do know one thing...once the economy starts its accelerated tanking and when the RBA eventually starts putting up interest rates the liberals are going to look pretty stupid

Reactions: Bullet Club

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
Should we get this thread renamed to "The Australian Politics Thread" now that the election is over?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
The Conservatives did not really run a populist campaign. Sure there were populist elements here and there, but all platforms have them to some extent.

Last edited:

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
The Conservatives did not really run a populist campaign. Sure there were populist elements here and there, but all platforms have them to some extent.
You consider the Liberal Party conservative? I mean, they have some conservative elements, but overall it’s a stretch to call them conservative. Being further right than Labor doesn’t make them conservative.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
the conservative platform was basically:
  • tax cuts phased in over ten years - pretty much no other policies
  • play up shorten's unpopularity
  • keep the crazies in the conservatives hidden from the campaign
  • attack Shorten's reform agenda at every opportunity

kiiltz

Apr 23, 2019
from working at an election centre the amount of people who simply went left to right 1/2/3/4/5/6 which happened to have liberal as number 1 leads me to believe there are alot of people who honestly dont give a shit about voting
Ha! I voted liberal because they're the left leaning party. Then I realised afterwards that this isn't America and I was suppose to vote Labour.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Feb 5, 2008
You consider the Liberal Party conservative? I mean, they have some conservative elements, but overall it’s a stretch to call them conservative. Being further right than Labor doesn’t make them conservative.
This is an Australian thread so i don't feel the need to place them on the political spectrum for our American posters. They're conservative in Australia, and routinely referred to as such.

But by many metrics they are conservative (now more so than ever as most of the moderate wing resigned before this election). I can't think of many policies I would consider 'left-wing' that have originated with the Liberal Party. Typically, Labor puts those up and they become the standard for voters forcing the Liberals to adopt a version of them.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
All over the world, the left has gone full retard. Attracting and indoctrinating people into bizarre ideologies, and echo chambering them into the stratosphere of lunacy. Normal people have no choice to vote the other way.

The left needs to disavow the cultish ideologies or they won’t ever get a whiff of power ever again.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Nov 25, 2015
Labour only have themselves to blame.
Putting a douche up against a turd sandwich was never going to win them a lot of votes.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018

Indeed Australian Liberal/National Coalition are further left than the American Democrats. They're classical liberal. Just because Labor is full blown communist does not make everyone else far right.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Plibersek out of leadership race. Was sure they were gonna dig themselves deeper

• Thoughtful

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Plibersek out of leadership race. Was sure they were gonna dig themselves deeper
They clearly told her she doesn’t have the numbers and she wants to save face from a failed play for the leadership. She wanted it, you could tell.

Saves us from having to hear her pull a Julie Bishop and blame sexism for not getting the job.

Reactions: matt404au and Cunth

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
#LiarFromTheShire is trending on Twitter due to the electricity price hike and because the tax cuts promised by the LNP during the election won't be happening for at least 12 months, if at all.

Oct 26, 2018
I don't follow Aussie politics, but Googled and found this. Some similar shady Hillary/Trump polling?

How did pollsters get the Australian election result so wrong?
HUMANS | ANALYSIS 20 May 2019
Prime minister Scott Morrison won a surprising re-election

By Ruby Prosser Scully

Some politicians and commentators have called for opinion polls to be scrapped following prime minister Scott Morrison’s shock win in the Australian federal election – the latest in a string of perceived polling failures in recent history.

For two years, polls put the left-leaning Labor party ahead of the more conservative Coalition. While the gap progressively shrank in the six months ahead of the election, the figures were consistently in favour of a Labor win. Of the 16 polls held since the election was called last month, all went in favour of the Labor party when responders were asked to pick from the leading two parties.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Yeah, are pollsters suddenly retarded or are they releasing polls as a way of showing people how they are expected to vote

Nov 1, 2017
He’s so smug too like he actually has inside info. The other guy is supposedly a lecturer on politics too. Reckoned labor would get 86. What bubbles these latte sippers live in
Inner city progressives don't know the first thing about how real Australian's feel about current issues. They are surrounded by people like themselves 24/7 and just cant fathom opposing view points.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017
The LNP have reached 76 seats. There are still 2 more seats to be decided which the Liberals are leading.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I don't follow Aussie politics, but Googled and found this. Some similar shady Hillary/Trump polling?

How did pollsters get the Australian election result so wrong?
HUMANS | ANALYSIS 20 May 2019
Prime minister Scott Morrison won a surprising re-election

By Ruby Prosser Scully

Some politicians and commentators have called for opinion polls to be scrapped following prime minister Scott Morrison’s shock win in the Australian federal election – the latest in a string of perceived polling failures in recent history.

For two years, polls put the left-leaning Labor party ahead of the more conservative Coalition. While the gap progressively shrank in the six months ahead of the election, the figures were consistently in favour of a Labor win. Of the 16 polls held since the election was called last month, all went in favour of the Labor party when responders were asked to pick from the leading two parties.
Consistently over the last several years, all polls have been wrong, strongly in favor for the left.
I think at this point the only plausible explanation is that we must accept that this is deliberate.
A campaign to steer voters "vote for the winning side" or "don't bother voting, your team lost already".

Using all the datapoints over the last several years we should be able to calibrate for this bias.
Going forward, assume every poll is biased ~3-4 percent to the left.

Take the poll value, dial the needle 3-4% to the right and ask yourself, what would the result be with those new numbers?
That way you can super-accurately predict any election going forward.

Reactions: Cunth

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Working people getting on with life don’t have time to take spam poll phone calls. The only ones that have time for such trivial matters are activists or those with little going on. There’s your leftist skew.

• Fire

DeSo

Dec 10, 2009
Australia
It's Murdoch's world, we're all just living in it.

Shorten was the first opposition leader who didn't bow down to Murdoch and he paid the price, his rags tore Shorten apart from the get go, telling the public not to like him.

If Albo meets with Murdoch he might stand a chance.

Labor had policies but the Murdoch media was too strong. People are too stupid to understand policies.

It has been proven that most of the swings to the LNP came in lower socio-economic divisions, those who were too misinformed and misled by Murdoch media to understand that they were voting against their own interests.

It's a scary time to be an Australian.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
It's Murdoch's world, we're all just living in it.

Shorten was the first opposition leader who didn't bow down to Murdoch and he paid the price, his rags tore Shorten apart from the get go, telling the public not to like him.

If Albo meets with Murdoch he might stand a chance.

Labor had policies but the Murdoch media was too strong. People are too stupid to understand policies.
Nah. Fairfax and abc were sucking Shorten's dick every day. People don't care.

• Thoughtful