• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The problem with the current Mustang is that it looks too gigantic. Too bulky and square.

They had the right dimensions with the New Edge Mustang in the late 90s, but it just became too damn big with the redesigned throwback. Considering the size of the Camaro, even the new Challenger is going to shrink in size considerably, so it makes perfect sense for Ford to do the same.

ascii42

The problem with the current Mustang is that it looks too gigantic. Too bulky and square.

They had the right dimensions with the New Edge Mustang in the late 90s, but it just became too damn big with the redesigned throwback. Considering the size of the Camaro, even the new Challenger is going to shrink in size considerably, so it makes perfect sense for Ford to do the same.

If they can shrink it without decreasing the already small interior, that would be great. The Cadillac ATS probably gives us a good idea of the size of the next Camaro, and it's got only 30 inches or so of leg room, as a 4-door. While I agree the Challenger is huge, comically so when placed next to the original, I do like the idea of a large coupe. Considering that it's mechanically just a 2-door Charger, they should give it the new Charger's updates and just call it a Charger Coupe.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ladies and gentlemen, the new Concept Style Coupe (baby-CLS)

mercedes%20csc%201.jpg

mercedes%20csc%202.jpg

mercedes%20csc%20111.jpg

I'm cumming buckets.

Mazda working on multiple rotary engines, has no plans for SkyActiv V6
The minds at Car and Driver recently took a moment to speak with Robert Davis, senior vice president of Mazda U.S. operations, about the automaker's plans for the future. According to Davis, the rotary engine will continue to play a role in the company's products moving forward, with engineers applying the lessons learned through the SkyActiv program to the powerplant. That means the next-generation rotary will likely feature reduced internal friction and lightweight internals in a quest to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy. But the engine may find applications outside of its traditional role.

Not only is Mazda pursuing a rotary engine to power a vehicle, Davis admits Mazda is also investigating ways to use the design in tandem with an electric motor, with the pistonless engine responsible for charging an extended-range EV's batteries. Given the compact size and relatively low torque supplied by a rotary, this application would seem to hold promise. Of course, we've heard some of this before.

And what of a SkyActiv V6? Davis makes it clear there's no room in the SkyActiv stable for a six-cylinder, saying that the company will focus on lighter platforms and forced-induction four-cylinder engines instead
Autoblog

zbeeb

Ladies and gentlemen, the new Concept Style Coupe (baby-CLS)

mercedes%20csc%201.jpg

mercedes%20csc%202.jpg

mercedes%20csc%20111.jpg

I'm cumming buckets.

whats with the double-spoiler looking section on the rear?

Otherwise it looks quite good, but I think I prefer the hard-edged Mercedes style (current c-class coupe *droool*) compared to this bulbous look.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yesterday, I was driving alongside a brand new 2nd gen CLS550 and despite how much I hate Mercedes as a brand and their cars bore me to death, I said to my girlfriend "I love the CLS because you can tell Benz went in and told their designers "hey, don't make this one as boring as the rest" and they listen".

This baby CLS reaffirms exactly what I said.

The modern Mustang hate in this thread bums me out.

exactly. at some point you have to look modern....they will do fine in including mustang cues. it will be a Mustang make no doubt...but the reality of new fuel/safety/euro/financial requirements are that it will need to be drastically different.

I mean, if you want a retro-looking Mustang...they are building thousands of them RIGHT NOW. buy one.

Threi

notag
man...i can't say i'm a fan of modern car styling at all.

outside of the ford which looks great every single pic posted for the couple pages looks godawful.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bah, a 4-door 2000 2.5rs showed up on craigslist and before I can even email about head gasket work it's deleted.

I agree, modern styling is bad. The 90's were bad too but there were still some very nice looking cars imo. However, can't really say it's unexpected with all of the regulations cars have to meet these days. I just hate the raised back ends of cars as a result.

pootle

Looking for some advice automotive-Gaf.

Up till now all the mods I've done (plenty of them) on my MY99 Impreza can be removed so it can go back to stock. Not that it ever will.

But now I'm looking at maybe, maybe fitting stuff in the dash to cover up the button blanks. I don't know why but they are really starting to bother me!

I remember ages ago you used to be able to get tiny led readouts for outside temp etc that would fit in button holes but I can't find any now and nobody has seen anything like that for years.

Any ideas gratefully received!

20120419_080031.jpg

20120419_080049.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just don't like the aesthetics, Underneath it all is a beast of a car. I am allowed that, aren't I?

Absolutely! I'm the same way with a lot of popular cars, such as the EVO. Dude at work drives one and it's a fucking BEAST, I love riding in it, but I just can't like the outside looks of it.

Looking for some advice automotive-Gaf.

Up till now all the mods I've done (plenty of them) on my MY99 Impreza can be removed so it can go back to stock. Not that it ever will.

But now I'm looking at maybe, maybe fitting stuff in the dash to cover up the button blanks. I don't know why but they are really starting to bother me!

I remember ages ago you used to be able to get tiny led readouts for outside temp etc that would fit in button holes but I can't find any now and nobody has seen anything like that for years.

Any ideas gratefully received!

How about putting buttons in which do nothing? :D

Viperbah

The new Mustang is awesome. I drove a 5.0 GT when it debuted a few years back and it was a fantastic car.

I'd love to own one someday if it makes sense. At this point I'm going to be car-downsizing, though.

I drove one as well when they first came out. There is not much else you can get that compares to the performance for the price.

As far as the aesthetics, it's ok imo, I like the looks of the Camaro better, esp with the SS hood.

Viperbah

Man, nothing good ever comes of those threads. They are death traps.

Anyway, here is a neat video of a stock F10 M5 racing a Z06. It really shows just how big a difference a dual clutch transmission makes.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FJ5bG81c6Sw

Damn...if the z06 wasn't tuned the M5 probably would have won.

M5 looks boring as hell to drive though....give me the manual anyday (I think they are offering a 6 speed in the us for the m5)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Speaking of Mustang styling...

Matt Ramsey from The Wall Street Journal claims that the next-generation Ford Mustang will be ditching its '60s-inspired retro styling. Citing people familiar with Ford's plans who have seen the new Mustang, Ramsey claims the new model will look more like the 2013 Fusion and be a dead ringer for the Evos concept car that debuted at the Frankfurt Motor Show last fall.

ford-evos-concept-20.jpg

ford-evos-concept-10.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/16/next-ford-mustang-to-ditch-retro-look-in-favor-of-futuristic-evo/

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I drove one as well when they first came out. There is not much else you can get that compares to the performance for the price.

As far as the aesthetics, it's ok imo, I like the looks of the Camaro better, esp with the SS hood.

Well, a 2011 Mustang GT/CS is my daily driver, so i'm biased, but yeah, nothing compares really. The fucking thing is beastly, and wasn't that expensive (38k-ish).

I do love the look of the Camaro, and test-drove the shit outta the 2SS when I was looking to buy. I drove everything performance-related under $50k with an open mind, and easily chose the Mustang at the end of it. The Camaro, for all it's looks and nifty heads-up display, was like driving in a sealed box that only had little slits to look out of. Seriously, I could not see out of it clearly, and I'm 6'2". The windows are just tiny. The steering felt off as well, compared to the fight-for-it-but-love-it style of the Mustang.

ascii42

Well, a 2011 Mustang GT/CS is my daily driver, so i'm biased, but yeah, nothing compares really. The fucking thing is beastly, and wasn't that expensive (38k-ish).

I do love the look of the Camaro, and test-drove the shit outta the 2SS when I was looking to buy. I drove everything performance-related under $50k with an open mind, and easily chose the Mustang at the end of it. The Camaro, for all it's looks and nifty heads-up display, was like driving in a sealed box that only had little slits to look out of. Seriously, I could not see out of it clearly, and I'm 6'2". The windows are just tiny. The steering felt off as well, compared to the fight-for-it-but-love-it style of the Mustang.

Yeah, the Camaro is a good example of why concept cars don't translate well to production. They often look fantastic, but often sacrifice practicality.

Viperbah

Nice...I would love a 5.0 as a daily. I have an 04 GTO as a daily and played with a new 5.0 coming out of a toll booth last month....it wasn't pretty, haha.

pootle

Well you only mentioned the blanks were annoying you! Gonna be hard to find something functional without being extremely DIY about it I think.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem wanky about it. I like the idea!

The good thing is that the standard centre buttons are a on/off switch, 4 way adjust and a push on button so there's plenty of scope. I just can't think of anything practical with them that I actually want to do to my car. Maybe impractical is the way to go! I have a mate who filled up a gauge pod space with something like this:

cachedimageservice.axd

That's taking things a bit too far for me:)

EDIT: Can't get the pic to work right but it's a joke gauge that goes on the intake.

And that's a great looking scooby ameratsu. I've always liked that type of front bumper.

ameratsu

saw this posted at school today. I'm Canadian if you're wondering why it's so expensive. Going to call him later, will report back.

e8mQl.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the problem is that the market for people who want to buy Mustangs aren't going to want to buy that.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They sure love that Astin inspired front.

That's the concept that set the tone for their new look.

I think the problem is that the market for people who want to buy Mustangs aren't going to want to buy that.

I don't believe that. Besides, they'll have to do some styling changes at the least if they want to make the Mustang a global vehicle. Losing 5,000 sales a year in the US and gaining 30,000 more globally is worth it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't believe that. Besides, they'll have to do some styling changes at the least if they want to make the Mustang a global vehicle. Losing 5,000 sales a year in the US and gaining 30,000 more globally is worth it.
Sure, except those sales figures are completely hypothetical. All you have to do is go to the Mustang forum and find out what they think of it; moreover, it's not like the Mustang always had "retro" styling, and it was never popular outside the US.

The Mustang has remained a profitable car during years when a car like that had no business being a profitable car. I can't see them deciding to fragment their domestic market for an entirely speculative Euromarket that has never once liked the car. I don't know, it just gets tiring hearing people who never liked what the car does demanding it be reinvented as a Corvette or an M3. It's just not reasonable to demand an already borderline overpriced car somehow lose a quarter-ton + be given a sizable reduction in dimensions without either changing what the car is or making it far too expensive for its market to buy it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What are people's thoughts on the late-model (2009-2011) Jeep Liberty?

I'm looking to put about $7K down on a vehicle less than $20K - the cheaper, the better; and I'm definitely only interested if it has 30K miles or less. Work is going to have me driving quite a bit more over the next couple years, and so I'd like to get something that can handle the snow. Furthermore, I'm a pretty big guy, and would like to have lots of room. And I'm going to be "re-locating" quite a bit, and so four doors and a big trunk area would be handy. I've gone through a lot of different cars - Suburus, Ford Taurus, Fusion, etc; and I just think I'd prefer an SUV.

So, just kinda trying to see what the general consensus is. I think I can snag a 4WD, V6 2010ish Liberty for about $18K if I look around.

I've taken a look at the GMC Arcadia, but that was too big and too pricey. The Escape is nice, but again, with <30K miles, they're about 3K more than the Liberty. I like the new Durango - but that's WAY too much. I hate the looks of the Dodge Nitro. I'd rather stick to American (yeah, I already know that's silly - I just prefer it); but if I was going foreign, I'd consider a Nissan, but all of their stuff is too pricey, too.

I'm 6'2" and have had no visibility issues whatsoever. Is it something you have to adjust to? Yea, it likely is as most cars have better outwards visibility... but it doesn't hinder my driving in any way, shape, or form. I got a brand new 2SS/RS for $33k. Very, very hard to beat that, I'd say.

ascii42

What are people's thoughts on the late-model (2009-2011) Jeep Liberty?

I'm looking to put about $7K down on a vehicle less than $20K - the cheaper, the better; and I'm definitely only interested if it has 30K miles or less. Work is going to have me driving quite a bit more over the next couple years, and so I'd like to get something that can handle the snow. Furthermore, I'm a pretty big guy, and would like to have lots of room. And I'm going to be "re-locating" quite a bit, and so four doors and a big trunk area would be handy. I've gone through a lot of different cars - Suburus, Ford Taurus, Fusion, etc; and I just think I'd prefer an SUV.

So, just kinda trying to see what the general consensus is. I think I can snag a 4WD, V6 2010ish Liberty for about $18K if I look around.

I've taken a look at the GMC Arcadia, but that was too big and too pricey. The Escape is nice, but again, with <30K miles, they're about 3K more than the Liberty. I like the new Durango - but that's WAY too much. I hate the looks of the Dodge Nitro. I'd rather stick to American (yeah, I already know that's silly - I just prefer it); but if I was going foreign, I'd consider a Nissan, but all of their stuff is too pricey, too.
The GMC Terrain is probably closer to the size you want than the Acadia. Also look at its cousin the Chevy Equinox. Mechanically they are pretty much the same, but they look very different. Both have the handy feature where the rear seats can slide forward and backward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom