• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banglish

daaamn dat mazda

I can see the draw, but from owning a RHD myself -- I bet it would be a pain in the ass to have to source something like a new window or random unique parts that could break on that evo. Maybe you have a source for parts in Japan or elsewhere, but if you don't, I would seriously look into how hard it is to get parts from Mitsubishi Japan and other JDM suppliers. I would expect long turnarounds and expensive shipping for parts unless you have something like a Skyline GTR or GTS-T that has a sizable following in Canada.

You will also want to track down a JDM version of Mitsubishi ASA for looking up part numbers as well.

I have an importer lined up, the manger is a chill guy, he'll help me out with a parts supplier.
But expensive shipping and long waits would suck. Man.. I don't know what to do now, I'll wait and see. I did want 4 doors but it isn't necessary. The gt-r is very attractive, but I expect the insurance to go up my ass. Any idea how much it would be for a 93-94?

Friend has an 06-08 Audi that vibrates when idling. I'm thinking mount or Idle Air Control? It goes away once the car is on motion and is noticably worse with AC on.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Friend has an 06-08 Audi that vibrates when idling. I'm thinking mount or Idle Air Control? It goes away once the car is on motion and is noticably worse with AC on.

Could be mount. Then again, when I upgraded to a stiffened motor mount in my car, it vibrates a lot more now at idle and when the AC is on. I could get it fixed by raising my idle to 900RPM.

Cheesus fucking christ.

This Koenigsegg Agera R is fucking sexy doing 250mph (402km/h for the rest of the uncivilized world) on the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9ysE3CGxrWA

Nice metric burn

america_fuck_yeah_convertible.jpg

It's all fun to be honest I am a proponent of changing the USA to the metric system. Considering how many people at random will know the exact amount of feet in a mile.

Meters and kilometers im cool with but millimeters and centimeters are nowhere near as cool as inches and feet I prefer saying 5 and a half inches over 13.97 centimeters

Meters and kilometers im cool with but millimeters and centimeters are nowhere near as cool as inches and feet I prefer saying 5 and a half inches over 13.97 centimeters

Try being an engineer someday. "Okay so this is 14'-5" and I need to subtract 97" off of it...so uhh... god damnit."

I did a job a few years back for a foreign client who needed everything in metric. There were a couple of older guys who hemmed and hawed about using metric for a month while I helped them get used to it then later came back to me and asked "Why the hell don't we use metric all the time?"

Don't even get me started on fucking air handlers. One of the more common units is a ton of cooling. A ton? But that's a measure of weight! That's right. It's the energy it takes to melt one ton of ice at 32F in 24 hours. And they still use it like it makes sense. I actually made a chart one time so that I could measure refrigeration in big macs because it's as relevant as any other unit in the english system.

Need your advice.

Curent car 370z base. I paid 1250 down 518 per month 39 mo lease
Nissan just offered me to take my car 4 months early and lease me a 370z sport 1000 down 460 per month.

This was after some negotiating. I have $500 down on a FR-S.

What do I do?

N-Bomb

I actually made a chart one time so that I could measure refrigeration in big macs because it's as relevant as any other unit in the english system.

The imperial system is a whirling gallery of horrors. Tell me again how many pounds of water there are in a quart? D:

ascii42

Try being an engineer someday. "Okay so this is 14'-5" and I need to subtract 97" off of it...so uhh... god damnit."

I did a job a few years back for a foreign client who needed everything in metric. There were a couple of older guys who hemmed and hawed about using metric for a month while I helped them get used to it then later came back to me and asked "Why the hell don't we use metric all the time?"

Don't even get me started on fucking air handlers. One of the more common units is a ton of cooling. A ton? But that's a measure of weight! That's right. It's the energy it takes to melt one ton of ice at 32F in 24 hours. And they still use it like it makes sense. I actually made a chart one time so that I could measure refrigeration in big macs because it's as relevant as any other unit in the english system.
Are you going to try to tell me that the kilowatt-hour is a unit that makes sense? Hey! Let's take joules, divide them by a unit of time, then multiply them by a different unit of time.

Need your advice.

Nissan just offered me to take my car 4 months early and lease me a 370z sport 1000 down 460 per month.

What do I do?

Anyone? I told them I'll sleep on it. To get a 370z with sport package with less down and less per month than what I'm paying now is so fkn tempting. But I have been dreaming of the FRS for 6 months now...... I don't know what to do guys.

J-Rzez

This is what I hope and pray that the next WRX ends up being like. They've eluded to the hatch style, but I wouldn't mind a bit for this one to come back.

Anyways, got back from the NYAS from this past weekend, generally a good time. Some quick thoughts:

- That new Mazda sedan was hot, down to it's paint. We won't see one with four-piston rear brakes like the show car though, that's for sure. ;)

- The BRZ/FR-S. No reason to buy the FR-S. The options and feel of the BRZ was superior, and entry price is a no brainer. Now, I saw where they cut corners that's for sure, especially in the engine bay where there's no metal forward of the shock towers. You just see the flimsy plastic wheel well liner from inside the bay heh (lol weight savings). I liked the BRZ seating position, but, being 6'2", I couldn't get myself in a proper seating position with a helmet, as the roof was too low for me. Heel-Toe would be tough with the pedal layout, especially with size 12 racing shoes I wore there. Shifter surprisingly felt good, since Subie didn't make it iirc heh. Would I buy one? No.

- The Boss. Oh man, I sat in there and fell in love. The wheel felt fantastic, the shifter was one of the best I played with at the show. Good seating position naturally, and view outs. The green wasn't for everyone. Love/Hate to a new level. I loved it along with others that walked up and said "OMG this color is fantastic", while others just didn't like it at all. The women there loved it, well the most that I heard talking while I was around it. I "think" I'm going for it, just need the all important test drive to capture me.

- Matte finishes. Everywhere. Had some long talks with I guess was the head detailer there for the shine crew at the show. I knew you can't really touch it up, but found out there are finally some proper sealants for it now finally which won't ruin the effect, so you can do more than just hand wash it to clean it up and get some heavy dirt off.

- The Mini area was the most jam-packed with people, by far. The least amount of people were in the Mazda, Porsche, and Dodge section (outside of around the Viper, which I thought was sexy despite it's horribly shaped headlights).

- I can't sit comfortably in an Abarth, lol.

- Caddy since didn't put a proper shifter in the CTS-V varients yet.

- Murdered out ZL-1 was hot-hot-hot. It's interior though, sad that an interior can turn someone off instantly.

- The 140s was immensely popular there. Always a decent amount of people stopping to look at it. Chevy will make the fugly red one no one cared about instead though.

- Massively disappointed with the lack of a "New WRX/STI" unveiling... :*(

- I thought I was going to die on the Ferry ride from NJ to NY.

N-Bomb

Anyone? I told them I'll sleep on it. To get a 370z with sport package with less down and less per month than what I'm paying now is so fkn tempting. But I have been dreaming of the FRS for 6 months now...... I don't know what to do guys.

Patience can be rewarded. Why be in such a rush? Don't sell your dreams for small desires.

Need your advice.

What do I do?

Don't do it. Why lock yourself into a lease on a car you don't want?

Ettie

I swear if that Mazda looks like the concept and comes in a color besides middle-management brown I will be close to first in line.

This is what I hope and pray that the next WRX ends up being like. They've eluded to the hatch style, but I wouldn't mind a bit for this one to come back.

- The 140s was immensely popular there. Always a decent amount of people stopping to look at it. Chevy will make the fugly red one no one cared about instead though.

When it comes to the wrx i got the same opinion that style was hot. I would be first in line.

The Tru 140s wouldn't meet safety in its current design but I think it looks good but that fugly red one is the better car: light, RWD and hopefully with decent power.

J-Rzez

I have $500 down on a FR-S.

What do I do?

First off, after being in both the FR-S and BRZ this past weekend and next to them, cancel the FR-S and buy the BRZ instead if you want to go that route of type of car. It is so, so much better in every aspect. Style is subjective, sure, but the interior overall is superior to the FR-S, the BRZ seats especially feel so much better.

Plus, iirc, the BRZ is a couple hundred bucks more, and you'll get HIDs and Nav included. The pioneer deck in the FR-S even looks like a late 80's/early 90's AC Delco headunit. I prefer it's gauges as well.

If you're a taller person (I'm 6'2"), headroom is of concern btw. I fit, and you do sit very nicely in the car I think, but if you're ever going to track/autox, I couldn't sit properly without the helmet rubbing into the headliner of the car.

The shifter felt great in the car, but the pedal placement is incredibly odd for Heel-Toe, and the clutch feels like trash.

When it comes to the wrx i got the same opinion that style was hot. I would be first in line.

The Tru 140s wouldn't meet safety in its current design but I think it looks good but that fugly red one is the better car: light, RWD and hopefully with decent power.

Did they say why it wouldn't meet safety standards by chance?

Here's a pic from the show:
IMG_20120407_140846.jpg

Did they say why it wouldn't meet safety standards by chance?

Pretty sure its the standards about windshield and bumper height in relation to each other (pedestrian safety crap), but I could be wrong about it completely. Im pretty sure I read It wouldn't pass somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it.

J-Rzez

For some fun, here's just a couple pics from the show. Not going to post a lot as I didn't get to resize.

Here's the Boss I fell in love with, especially the color:
IMG_20120407_152207.jpg

The Mazda people like:
468338_2910955267004_1654307929_2424140_131559648_o.jpg

And, the Viper:
IMG_20120407_172439.jpg

I'm so tired of the Mustang's styling at this point. I can't wait to see what the refresh brings. Those stripes look incredibly tacky and overdone, too. Color isn't horrible.

Mazda looks nice. Viper gonna Vipe. That Chevy posted above is a nice concept, too. I hope they find a way to get a production to look as close to that as possible. Chevy did it with the Camaro and got decently close with the Volt...

ouchx100

Yea I work at a mazda dealer and have seen a few used VW's. If you like your car broken and falling apart a VW is the way to go. Otherwise a used mazda3 is a no brainer. Great little cars.

Yea I work at a mazda dealer and have seen a few used VW's. If you like your car broken and falling apart a VW is the way to go. Otherwise a used mazda3 is a no brainer. Great little cars.

Totally agree. VW/Audi in the early 2000's... what a nightmare. You couldn't pay me to drive one of those things. They're the kind of cars that randomly lock you inside of the car and you have to break the window to get out.

So I guess its also a no brainer to head right down to your mazda dealer that you work at and buy one right?

Zyzyxxz

2003ish Jetta or 2004ish Mazda3

decisions...

The Mazda3 while a great car gets crappy mileage for it's class. If you can deal with it then go for it. Great car! There's a reason that sole model accounts for over half of all Mazda's sold in recent years.

Stasis

Ignoring the blanket statements of "OMG early 2000's VW's are all junk!" I will say that as a VW fan, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a 2003 Jetta. Certain models had bad years and 2003 wasn't a really good one for the Jetta.

Ignoring the blanket statements of "OMG early 2000's VW's are all junk!" I will say that as a VW fan, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a 2003 Jetta. Certain models had bad years and 2003 wasn't a really good one for the Jetta.

Blanket statements? It's true. Audi/VW, Mercedes, and BMW had some of their worst years in reliability/electrical nightmares in the early 00's. As a VW fan, you should face up to the truth.

And, the Viper:
IMG_20120407_172439.jpg

Ugh. It looks like a giant sat on a modern sportscar. Bother the front and rear are higher than the beltline in the middle and slope down towards it. It's awkward--just look at the way the hood comes up from where it meets the windshield. Does any other car do that?

I know I'm in a minority here but I really don't like this car. The SRT-10 looked much, much better.

Totally agree. VW/Audi in the early 2000's... what a nightmare. You couldn't pay me to drive one of those things. They're the kind of cars that randomly lock you inside of the car and you have to break the window to get out.

And wasn't it VW/Audi that had the whole "Remember how we said change the timing belt every 100,000 miles? Well...we really meant 60,000. Sorry if your engine blew up" situation?

Ugh. It looks like a giant sat on a modern sportscar. Bother the front and rear are higher than the beltline in the middle and slope down towards it. It's awkward--just look at the way the hood comes up from where it meets the windshield. Does any other car do that?

I know I'm in a minority here but I really don't like this car. The SRT-10 looked much, much better.
This. I was refraining from saying anything, but I wholeheartedly agree. The middle section seems to have gotten a push down so that the whole line of the car is ruined.

The front and the rear of the car suggest a relatively nice looking car, but it ends up looking weird from almost every other angle because of the fucked up proportions.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't like the new Viper, either. It's almost like a retro take on the original, but not nearly as endearing.

And my god, that front is LONG.

ascii42

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't that pretty much coke-bottle styling?

The Corvette's more subtle, but it does it too.
Tjqq2.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Hey CarGAF, I was wondering if there was a really great car database website were you could filter cars by lots of different things, such as number of doors/seats etc. Any idea? Some googling has resulted in nothing of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom