• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awesome super high resolution PC screenshot thread.

Anno 1404 and Tropico 3 are definitely on my list of to buy games once I clear up some of my backlog. Dman, there's just so many awesome strategy games releasing/released this year its insane. Off the top of my head:

Anno 1404
Tropico 3
Empire: Total War
Hearts of Iron 3
Dawn of War 2
Starcraft 2
Sims 3 (yes it counts)

And that's just naming the obvious AAA ones. So much for the death of PC gaming, them buggers could last any gamer a literal lifetime.

Minsc said:
They need to license that Anno 1404 engine for some kick ass RPGs! Damn.

I think the art helps as much as anything, those houses look as if they were hand painted, its truly stunning artwork.

clip

wicpano2.png

Here are some shots I just took from the Overlord 2 demo available on Steam.

I was running at 1920x1200, my monitor's native res, and performance was fantastic with every graphical option maxed, but I resized them a bit for filesize reasons as I'm hosting on my own server.

chrisremo_overlord2demo_002.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_005.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_011.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_012.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_013.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_014.jpg

chrisremo_overlord2demo_016.jpg

I hope it's not in poor taste to point out that the difference between this and the PS3 version I played at E3 a couple weeks ago is massive, to the point where I was actually shocked. It looked like it was running at a lower resolution and then being upscaled on the PS3 or something. Don't quote me on that because I don't know if it's the case, and it could have been an issue with the TV setup or something, but it was to the point where it was distracting.

Anyway this demo was super fun. I didn't play the first game but I had a blast with this--very Pikmin-esque, in a good way--and I plan to play the full version now.

Doytch

I'll eventually get around to downloading it myself, but what are your specs Chris? The first one was kind of a half-assed optimization job, imo. I had everything maxed, 1680x1050 with I think some forced AA (wasn't built in iirc), and it was around 30-40.

Really liked the first game though, will probably pick this up on sale sometime.

Chris Remo said:
Here are some shots I just took from the Overlord 2 demo available on Steam.

yeah it's gorgeous, the ps3 demo has an atrocious framerate but it's smooth as silk on my modest rig.

god damn i'm glad this thread is back.

Proc

took this at the conclusion of my molten core raid (we did it for the luls):
3642785809_74b798236c_o.jpg

here's a grab for those who miss bwl:
3642785855_857c9dce3f_o.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I played the demo but decided not to get the game. Was there an additional zoom option, though? There just seemed to be three fixed zooms and camera angles to me, and I felt like it would have been nice to have a closer one where you could see people and buildings better.

Blizzard

Banned
I posted one of these in the recent game environments thread, so I thought I might as well post some of the recent screenshots I've taken from Call of Juarez, DX10 version.

Be warned, these have anti-aliasing turned OFF, and only some light filtering (I forget which), so I can usually hit 40 fps or so. If they look too ugly from the lack of AA, let me know and I can delete them. =P (The foliage actually looks a little better with less AA to me) Image overload go!

Intro area:
13zygaw.jpg

Pool, falling water isn't that great.
2m7uusz.jpg

Depth of field:
9kulfm.jpg

More depth of field:
2vtdtly.jpg

Animal:
9r0xms.jpg

Butterflies in flight near polygonal barrels (to match some ingame people with very polygonal heads :p)
2cf75tg.jpg

How YOU doin'.
2khl55.jpg

And the smoke, of their torment, goeth up forever and ever.
fvl72v.jpg

Surfheart

Some more Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) candy. F1 is the "Postcard camera".
These aren't bullshots though, the postcard camera is a realtime camera.

screenshot0000-1.jpg

screenshot0001-1.jpg

screenshot0002-1.jpg

screenshot0003-1.jpg

screenshot0004-1.jpg

screenshot0006-1.jpg

Its only the low poly environments that look to e holding back the visuals of Call of Juarez, the effects look great. Anno, is stunning as ever.

Blizzard

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its only the low poly environments that look to e holding back the visuals of Call of Juarez, the effects look great. Anno, is stunning as ever.
Well, I'll make sure to take some pictures of the sequel when it comes out in a couple of days. :) Hopefully it's not terrible, I figured $25 apiece was a decent price.

Spoit

brain_stew said:
Yeah, Juarez kept going from looking jaw-dropingly good to jaw-droppingly bad. The effects are amazing, and some of the texture work is pretty great too, but other aspects look last gen

Sleeker

Yeah its kinda weird that it lists actual numbers.
All the other text in the game are like jumbled up hieroglyphs.

Maybe an easter egg number?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm too sleepy to post more tonight, but here are a few random pictures I've taken so far in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. They probably look terrible, but I could have sworn they don't look so jaggy ingame. Maybe the MSAA filtering or whatever doesn't come through on Fraps screenshots. :(

1z2m9t2.jpg

25tfek5.jpg

2145y5l.jpg

t8u2dg.jpg

14ctnqw.jpg

2r29cog.jpg

fd7wd4.jpg

af91jm.jpg

6g8ynn.jpg

Yoboman

Haha I can't wait for my new PC. I can barely view this thread, the old bird is struggling with HD images now even. Don't mention HD video to her, I don't need her to suicide:lol

Durante

Since it seems like some stability is finally setting in in the Oblivion modding community I decided to return to that one more time. Some 7 hours of downloading, installing and fising later I had everything working (this could be a bit easier!). My oblivion folder is now 21GB (unmodded it's less than 6).

The starting sequence was getting boring so this time my character arrived by boat in Anvil -- I've played for 25 hours now and I haven't even started the main quest or done many of the original game's quests.

Anyway, here are a few screenshots, downscaled from 1920*1200, 4x(T)AA.

1z545s3.jpg

sy1r7k.jpg

15eu4pc.jpg

2di5buc.jpg

14lkxi.jpg

10ntba0.jpg

15gxp1i.jpg

e83m20.jpg

Durante

Kabouter said:
You should feel free to post a list of the mods you installed, possibly with download links and instructions :p.
I am actually thinking about making an "Oblivion revisiting" thread, but doing a decent job of it would take at least 4 hours. It would be quite valuable though since most mod lists are quite out of date at this point. Maybe if more people are interested.

Let me quote the UESP: "For many players, installing Oblivion with a large set of mods will be the most complicated thing they've ever done with software."

Durante

Mr. Durden said:
Do you even have the high res texture pack? Doesn't seem like it?
When you're saying "the" high res texture pack I assume you mean QTP3. Which I have of course (just look at the ground in the Whitmond farm screenshot for example, those are very obviously Quarl textures), but I also have a large number of other texture packs. When you get close enough to a texture it will always be blurry (well, unless it's procedural).

For comparison, here's a screenshot from a new area introduced by one of the mods, which uses the same texture resolution for the ground as the original game does. (And is obviously not replaced by QTP since it's not in the original game)
wrm6vs.jpg

Durante said:
When you're saying "the" high res texture pack I assume you mean QTP3. Which I have of course (just look at the ground in the Whitmond farm screenshot for example, those are very obviously Quarl textures), but I also have a large number of other texture packs. When you get close enough to a texture it will always be blurry (well, unless it's procedural).

For comparison, here's a screenshot from a new area introduced by one of the mods, which uses the same texture resolution for the ground as the original game does. (And is obviously not replaced by QTP since it's not in the original game)
Ok my bad.

New areas? How are those mods. Worth getting into after completing the game already 100% twice?

Durante

Mr. Durden said:
New areas? How are those mods. Worth getting into after completing the game already 100% twice?
If you did both of those playthroughs in a vanilla (that is, completely unmodded) game then I'd say yes. Basically, regardless of which class you choose (magic, combat, stealth, etc..) with a fully modded game you'll have a very different gameplay experience. And in terms of content you can play for dozens of hours without touching any of Bethesda's quests.

Durante said:
If you did both of those playthroughs in a vanilla (that is, completely unmodded) game then I'd say yes. Basically, regardless of which class you choose (magic, combat, stealth, etc..) with a fully modded game you'll have a very different gameplay experience. And in terms of content you can play for dozens of hours without touching any of Bethesda's quests.
I played the first time on 360. Then bought the PC version cause I got a new rig back in the day. Only downloaded mods to improve the looks, leveling etc.

Maybe I'll give it another try then.

Swaain

Durante said:
I am actually thinking about making an "Oblivion revisiting" thread, but doing a decent job of it would take at least 4 hours. It would be quite valuable though since most mod lists are quite out of date at this point. Maybe if more people are interested.

Let me quote the UESP: "For many players, installing Oblivion with a large set of mods will be the most complicated thing they've ever done with software."

I for one would be very interested in reading what you have to say about this! I've had Oblivion installed on my PC's HDD for a while now, but I still need to really dive into it. I loved Morrowind, I guess I just need to get a few quests started to get hooked on Oblivion as well. An up to date mod list would be ace, though.

40294MonkeyIsland1012009070720242712.png

13196MonkeyIsland1012009070719541686.png

83281MonkeyIsland1012009070719554075.png

83997MonkeyIsland1012009070719550375.png

4567MonkeyIsland1012009070720231954.png

67763MonkeyIsland1012009070720265491.png

surprisingly beautiful. a very big step up from previous telltale games. it's all the subtle effects that bring it to life i think. the depth of field, the wisps of wind, the lighting... and it's not that demanding, so running it at high IQ is very workable.

turn

Banned
Not super high resolution, but I'm playing on a 42" plasma so 720P is all I need.

85832052.png

Untitled-1-8.png

image-8878_4A5EC4A3.jpg

image-228C_4A5EC4A3.jpg

image-31FF_4A5EC4A3.jpg

image-30A8_4A5EC4A3.jpg

Last couple are cropped because my resolution didn't match my TV's.
All settings on highest with 8xQ anti-aliasing.

Toby

Durante said:
I am definitely interested. I haven't played with Oblivion or looked at mods for a long time, feel really out of date.

5il3nc3r

Durante said:

Well I'm interested. I have a couple of recommendations of my own so if you make the thread I'll definitely jump in.

Ceebs

Was testing out my new sub $500 system with some stuff I picked up for cheap recently and I took a few shots.

Burnout Paradise (1400X900 max everything 8XAA) locked at 60 fps

aox0l5.jpg

Mirrors Edge (1400X900 max everything 8XAA) also locked at 60 fps

103tvdk.jpg

GWX

Off-topic, but... Ceebs, what is your VGA? HD4850?

I have a GTS250 (which is pretty much on the same level) and can't main solid 60fps at neither of the games using the same configs. In some random spots I get slowdowns to ~45fps in Mirror's Edge (and Batman: AA Demo), the same on some "crowded" avenues in Burnout Paradise, actually...
Do you (or anyone here) experienced issues like that and/or can help me? Also, reducing the resolution or the AA level do not seem to make any difference.

Well, some collaboration to the thread:

Bionic Commando @ 1440x900 (no AA supported in-game):

fw7j91.jpg

xcw29u.jpg

12307yd.jpg

F.E.A.R. @ 1440x900 4xAA:

2l8pd.jpg

2rmxdeo.jpg

2pozbl2.jpg

Also, just for fun, Max Payne @ 1440x900:

vra936.jpg

Ceebs

GWX said:
Off-topic, but... Ceebs, what is your VGA? HD4850?

I have a GTS250 (which is pretty much on the same level) and can't main solid 60fps at neither of the games using the same configs. In some random spots I get slowdowns to ~45fps in Mirror's Edge (and Batman: AA Demo), the same on some "crowded" avenues in Burnout Paradise, actually...
Do you (or anyone here) experienced issues like that and/or can help me? Also, reducing the resolution or the AA level do not seem to make any difference.
I got a 4870 1GB so that may be the case. Everything I have thrown at this thing runs at 60FPS or better at 1400X900 except Crysis and I get around 30-45 fps with one of the custom configs.

Blizzard

Banned
Ceebs said:
I got a 4870 1GB so that may be the case. Everything I have thrown at this thing runs at 60FPS or better at 1400X900 except Crysis and I get around 30-45 fps with one of the custom configs.
I wouldn't be surprised, I suspect my 512MB 4850 holds me back. What CPU do you have? I have a feeling e8400 at stock speed also slows me down in some cases. :(

GWX

Ceebs said:

Yeah, but I don't know, because as I stated before, reducing the resolution or the antialiasing level don't make any difference. Maybe it's my Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (yeah, stock, I have to OC it, but I never did it before and I need a 3rd party cooler) pushing me back.

Top Bottom