• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awesome super high resolution PC screenshot thread.

Essential downloads:

FRAPs: Take screenshots in any game as well as monitor your framerate, it should be one of the firsdt things a PC gamer installs on a fresh install of Windows.

Imagicon: Batch convert all the .bmp files that FRAPs produces to either .jpg or .png files for smaller file sizes and easier uploading to image hosting websites whilst maintaining image quality through a simple drag and drop interface.

nHancer (Nvidia only): Unlocks a bunch of extra quality modes so that you can use supersampling (among other things) and get bullshot quality in real time if you have the GPU grunt to support it. Its also generally a much better profile manager than the Nvidia control panel, so well worth having.

Recommended image host:

Image Venue: No signups, unlimited bandwidth, no image resizing and fair limit of 3MB per file.

Essential reading:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

New Images (as ever these are using my ingame settings):

SF IV:

58490_1SF4_122_730lo.jpg

58588_1SF44_122_527lo.jpg

Torchlight with 2x2 supersampling + 4xmsaa and 16xaf (high quality), it delivers a perfect 60fps:

90289_Torchlight_2009-12-28_02-27-02-56_122_197lo.jpg

90320_Torchlight_2009-12-28_02-43-27-49_122_347lo.jpg

90351_Torchlight_2009-12-28_02-55-05-69_122_1031lo.jpg

90377_Torchlight_2009-12-28_02-59-16-69_122_66lo.jpg

Trine with maxed out settings, 16xaf and the ingame 2xAA setting. Damn near a perfect 60fps with the occasionaly drop to ~50fps which is barely noticeable due to triple buffering. I could get an absolute perfect 60fps if I disabled the AA which has a huge impact on performance.

90403_trine_2009-12-28_14-29-14-29_122_1019lo.jpg

90453_trine_2009-12-28_14-43-05-13_122_1035lo.jpg

90500_trine_2009-12-28_14-46-59-97_122_177lo.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirror's Edge (1080p 4xAA/8xAF with transparency multisampling)

4k7h1d.jpg

29p7pfk.jpg

2wphvfn.jpg

2a847rn.jpg

2cru9ms.jpg

2w6ykpv.jpg

2u7abkx.jpg

15oxb81.jpg

29ntksm.jpg

2cohaog.jpg

2gsnbkm.jpg

Ghostbusters (2x2 supersampling and 8xaf):

uwxtx.jpg

BEFORE:

2zgxous.jpg

DURING:

ae1gk9.jpg

AFTER:

30sgj9u.jpg

:D :D

Update 1:

Well this thread has gone exactly as I had hoped so I'm going to add I few more pictures to the op. Please remember to label your pictures.

All of my shots are taken using the exact same settings I use ingame, and in most cases I get a solid 60fps. My GPU is a GTX 260 (216) that can be had for around $150 atm.

You can download Fraps here and it will allow you to take as many shots as you like in any of your games.

Be sure to enable transparency antialiasing in your drivers, this will get rid of jaggies in transparent textures that are often used for foliage and fences.

P.S. No more Crysis shots for the time being please, yes they look incredible but there's more than enough in this thread already and the PC has plenty other beautiful games to show off.

Grand Theft Auto IV with shadows and post processing mods (mod found here):

jaxmyc.jpg

2pq3yo8.jpg

2mhug6x.jpg

24dklqr.jpg

SEGA Rally

2rootxh.jpg

mww83s.jpg

28wbja.jpg

2sbjtyu.jpg

More Mirror's Edge because we know you all love it so:

241shhg.jpg

2mdlx6r.jpg

11gkto9.jpg

p85j5.jpg

2mnp1xl.jpg

Halo 2 (Much more pleasing to the eye when running at 1080p/60hz with maxed out AA/AF than Halo 3 in my opinion, really shows the importance of decent IQ)

x43luq.jpg

29n8q6r.jpg

2i73gx4.jpg

1g6at5.jpg

o0nkgz.jpg

Track Mania United: Forever

etic8g.jpg

adf0x4.jpg

The Club

2vvuxpl.jpg

14o3h2u.jpg

2u53zop.jpg

20pq5u9.jpg

21k01td.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post:

After taking some snaps on my travels through the world of Mirror's Edge I feel we ought to have a thread to share pictures of PC games with max settings and bullshot levels of IQ. There's nothing quite like running a games at 1080p with plenty of AA and AF, it can work wonders and Mirror's Edge is a prime example. So here are a few examples I have on my PC already, feel free to share your own.

Sega Rally (1360x768 4xAA/8xAF with transparency multisampling

2iu46sn.jpg

29mvrd0.jpg

Outrun 2006 (1080p with 2x2 supersampling, 4xmsaa, 16xAF and transparency supersampling, same as rendering at 9 ties the resolution of 720p with 4xmsaa. :D)

dgkns5.jpg

34gkoas.jpg

Mass Effect (1080p 4xAA/8xAF)

ouwl12.jpg

2h890lv.jpg

Tomb Raider: Underworld (1080p 4xAA/8xAF)

10ckec6.jpg

34yqybn.jpg

Unreal Tournament 3 (4xAA/8xAF)

1539nhu.jpg

vr67mw.jpg

If you want to join in the thread just download
and get snapping.

Oh, and incase it wasn't clear these are all actually actually the settings I play these games at, and all on a GPU (the GTX 260) that can be had for $160, that's damn impressive performance for the buck if you ask me.

Grayman

Asheron's Call with as much AA and AF as a Voodoo 3 could output. This looked better than the graphical update that came out 3 years later but the client got unstable running like this.
ACscrn0167.jpg

_dementia said:
ME and... the other ME look phenomenal

and they're so different visually it's hard to believe they use the same engine

The UE3 gets so much hate on GAF but its really not warranted, the engine can produce astoudning result in the right hands and whats more it is super optimised, it runs great on a modern PC. Mirror's Edge 1080p and 60fps is really a sight to behold. I'm going to put up some UT3 shots in a moment, that again has a different aesthetic yet is equally gorgeous.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
WOW

Makes me want to get a 1080p monitor (Currently at 2x1600x1050).... maybe thats what I should upgrade to next.

I will post some screens too, but mines are not that high res, I am bounded by my monitor.

godhandiscen said:
WOW

Makes me want to get a 1080p monitor (Currently at 2x1600x1050).... maybe thats what I should upgrade to next.

I will post some screens too, but mines are not that high res, I am bounded by my monitor.

It was a damn bargain this monitor, less than £150 for a 23" 1080p monitor with 2 HDMI inputs and the results in game are simply stunning. Don't know how I coped with 1360x768 before! :lol

godhandiscen

Here are my screens, not really full HD, but still a sight to behold.

Crysis Warhead on ULTRA 2xAA 16xAF 1600x1050
crysis642009-01-3123-10-10-23.jpg

FEAR 2 Maxed 4xAA 16xAF 1600x1050
FEAR2SPDemo2009-01-3114-32-53-60.jpg

godhandiscen

Wow Brain Stew, I cannot stop looking at Mirrors Edge. You sold me on the game. I want to see those beautiful images in my screen :)

Darkfall Online

Image2.jpg

exciting insight into nothing going on right now 2mins ago at the mar shral clanstone. edit: oh actually the clanstone is right outside the screenshot to the left.. and I'm not even drunk.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
it's easy to forget how ruinous certain closed platform restrictions are when it comes to rendering game artwork in it's full glory.

like listening to beethoven's 9th through a pair of tinny multimedia speakers on youtube.

Fallout 3: 1600x1200, all settings at max, 16x AAF, 4x AA

Fallout32009-01-2504-06-32-48-1.jpg

Fallout32009-01-2504-06-23-62-1.jpg

I didn't realize how stunning Mirror's Edge looks on PC. The PS3 demo really turned me off to the game as it was littered with jaggies.

ghst said:
it's easy to forget how ruinous certain closed platform restrictions are when it comes to rendering game artwork in it's full glory.

like listening to beethoven's 9th through a pair of tinny multimedia speakers on youtube.
kind of ruined your good art post there, didn't I? heheh

godhandiscen

ghst said:

In a perfect world, all platforms would be able to play online against each other, and all titles would be released on all platforms. Until then, I will still have a reason to buy consoles :(

itxaka

Defeatist
Don't you have your Brightness too low on ME? I can't see shit (I guess that without the grain filter, the game is much more dark?)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
godhandiscen said:
In a perfect world, all platforms would be able to play online against each other, and all titles would be released on all platforms. Until then, I will still have a reason to buy consoles :(

what i'd give for a pc port of mario galaxy.

godhandiscen said:
Wow Brain Stew, I cannot stop looking at Mirrors Edge. You sold me on the game. I want to see those beautiful images in my screen :)

It really is a sight to behold and I haven't put any rooftop view shots up yet. That first shot in particular, damn I don't think I've sen a game look that close to real life the lighting just looks so accurate.

I think the game is great btw, has a sort of old school Sonic the Hedgehog feel to the way it plays, can be frustrating at times but sure does give a rush when you pull off a nice string of stunts and jumps. Its a really smart choice by Nvidia throwing it in with their GTX 260s over here in the UK, the graphics and PhysX effects are the perfect showcase for the card.

Oh and nice to see some Serious Sam 2 shots, for a 4 year old game it really pushed a lot of tech. including HDR lighting. It really looks great with everything cranked up.

ghst said:
what i'd give for a pc port of mario galaxy.

Well with the progress Dolphin is making a 1080p/60hz 4xAA/16XAF incarnation of Mario Galaxy hopefully won't be too far away.

I have to admit I'm an IQ whore, the difference it can make to the look of some games really can't be understated. Mirror's Edge really is the best example, the jaggies in the console version ruin its beatiful clean artstyle imo but with the resolution and AA cranked its one of the best looking games out there, no doubt about it.

Edit: Original post updated with more Mirror's Edge. :D

Blizzard

Banned
On behalf of those of us working on Mirror's Edge custom PC maps, I thank you, Brain Stew, for inspiring more people to get the game. :D

That said, since we won't have Beast, I'm afraid you may be very disappointed with our lighting/lightmap quality. ;_;

Blizzard

Banned
dLMN8R said:

I really need to get the original Crysis, if it's $20 or $30...even though I haven't played much of Warhead. The original one comes with the SDK I've heard, which I've also heard is pretty awesome.

And ARGH. You've almost inspired me to finally start HL2 episodes 1 and 2 on my new computer, since I've never played them...though I still want to play through HL2 itself again, and I guess I'll find it boring on the replay. :lol

Blizzard said:
On behalf of those of us working on Mirror's Edge custom PC maps, I thank you, Brain Stew, for inspiring more people to get the game. :D

That said, since we won't have Beast, I'm afraid you may be very disappointed with our lighting/lightmap quality. ;_;

Ha, well the game itself has more than enough jaw dropping views to last a lifetime. I love the core mechanics of the game so any new gameplay is alright by me. I've been taking a peak around a little and to see what the status is with the mod scene and its nice to see its starting to get off the ground.

Edit:

Nice contributions, especially Psychonauts, that game doesn't half scrub up well.

bdouble

haha funny. I used to come into these threads with my old 1280x1024 monitor and scroll around looking corners of each shot for about 10 seconds until I was frustrated and had to exit. Lovin it with the new 24" though.

edit: Yeah next on the list of things to buy is a computer capable of running all these games at this resolution. REason why I don't play PC games right now is it does not do them justice. L4D looks good but my god does it look really good in those screens. Can't wait to go back and play my huge catalog of Steam games.

Kukuk

Banned
Not super high res, since my monitor doesn't support higher, but still awesome looking. :D

The Original Riddick.

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-21-33-.png

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-21-53-.png

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-22-08-.png

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-19-16-.png

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-19-17-.png

SbzEngine-2008-06-19-02-04-.png

Shame the game doesn't support AA. :(

Mohonky

Kukuk said:
Not super high res, since my monitor doesn't support higher, but still awesome looking. :D

The Original Riddick.

Shame the game doesn't support AA. :(

God I can't wait for the remake this month. Not out here till 31st. As I'll be playing on 360 though I suspect more jaggies if the demo is any indication.

Dementia

pizzaguysrevenge said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2u933ba.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/jj4ewp.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2iqbhxl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/30xilxs.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Huh, out of all those screens RE4 looks the best.:lol

Screenboy

35aqj9t.jpg

heres solitaire running at 60fps on the highest setting i can manage. ^probably my favourite part of the game that bit

godhandiscen

Screenboy said:
http://i41.tinypic.com/35aqj9t.jpg

heres solitaire running at 60fps on the highest setting i can manage. ^probably my favourite part of the game that bit
Throw fraps on that shit, or else I won't believe your fps.

edit: Thats a really clean desktop. I like clean efficient desktops that load quick. Thumbs up.

Some of Empire III

Maxed 1600x1050 4xAA 16xAF all effects possible enabled.
Empire2009-02-2011-25-00-28.jpg

Empire2009-02-2011-25-11-53.jpg

Screenboy

godhandiscen said:
Throw fraps on that shit, or else I won't believe your fps.

edit: Thats a really clean desktop. I like clean efficient desktops that load quick. Thumbs up.

its actually chugging at 15fps, i was just trying to fit in :(

godhandiscen

Screenboy said:
its actually chugging at 15fps, i was just trying to fit in :(
Its cool, people have different priorities. Sometimes when I realize all the money I invest in hardware I feel like hitting myself in the nuts with a hammer. If you ever want a budget PC recommendation that will play games at the resolutions posted above just show up in the "Official 2009 PC thread" I have seen some wonderful machines built with just $500, some parts recycling needed though.

Top Bottom