• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bards Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled |OT| Coin & Clevage

Zurick

Banned
rVQE7lT.png

PLEASE NOTE: KINDLY USE SPOILER TAGS TO DISCUSS CONTENT NOT OFFICIALLY REVEALED - USE THE EXISTING LEAK THREAD WHERE APPROPRIATE

The Bards Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled
Platforms: Playstation 4, Playstation Vita
Developed by: Square One Games Inc. - InExile Entertainment
Published by: InExile Entertainment
Price: $9.99
Release date: August 15th 2017

cgB1yXk.png

Completely unlike the classic Bard's Tale games, this game is in a 3D environment with the player watching his only controllable character from an overhead vantage point, and it is better described as an action-adventure game than a traditional role-playing video game (i.e. there are no character classes or inventory management).
The player's character, The Bard, has magic and weaponry at his disposal to complete the task. The more the player accomplishes, the better his skills will become. The appearance and gameplay is much the same as the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series, which shares the same graphics engine.

PNfriLc.png

The plot involves "a sardonic and opportunistic musician and adventurer, driven by carnal rather than noble pursuits. The Bard, who is never identified by a specific name nor addressed by anything other than 'The Bard,' is not interested in saving the world; his humble motivations are strictly 'coin and cleavage.'" His quest is narrated by a mocking, biased man (played by Tony Jay) who cannot stand him. Many of the names and characters are influenced by Celtic mythology and the stories of the Orkney Islands. (Most of the names for places are actual locations in the Orkney Islands, including Kirkwall, Dounby, Finstown, Houton, and Stromness. Some optional areas are places in Ireland, including Dún Ailinne, Ardagh, Carrowmore, Emain Macha, and Tara.)
The Bard (voiced by Cary Elwes) ends up being recruited by a cult to help free a princess named Caleigh. As a result of this, the Bard finds himself being attacked by an assortment of fanatics from a Druid-like cult, sent to dispatch him by a being called Fionnaoch. On the way to complete his quest, the not so valiant anti-hero will have to overcome the truly terrifying challenges of three monstrous guardians, break-dancing corpses, spontaneously melodious goblins, a giant, and a fire-breathing rat.
Eventually, it is revealed that the Bard is just another in a long line of "Chosen Ones," many of whom he finds dead along his path. Caleigh is revealed to actually be a demon tempting people to come free her for years on the assumption that eventually someone would succeed. If the Bard frees Caleigh, she gives him all his heart's desires while destroying the world. If he slays Caleigh, The Bard returns to the road in search of the next bar maid. Alternatively, he can refuse to fight either the Druid Leader or Caleigh, allowing the undead to overrun the world, a situation he is content with as they make good bar buddies.

rGpTint.png

In dialog game uses a "snarky or nice" system that allows the player to change the outcome of many situations by deciding how they want to respond. Player doesn't know exactly what the bard will say, he must choose between two labeled buttons. Some choices, such as being snarky to the dog at the beginning of the game, have game-lasting consequences. The first decision is whether to be nice or snarky to the barmaid in The Drunken Rat. Being nice to her gives her the impression that the Bard is a gentleman and she leaves him alone, while being snarky ensures the Bard will spend the night with her.

d2FHgvp.png

The Bard is a selfish rogue who will only undertake a quest if there is a likely profit in it for himself.

L0H4HzW.png

Was shocked to see this on the PS4 today, and even more shocked to not see it represented here. What a great game!

dlauv

Is this a timed exclusive or something? I tend not to buy multi-plat games on PS4 if I can help it.

I've had this on my phone for years, haha.
Never got very far since I'd prefer to play it with a controller, so this PS4 option could be good!

RedBoot

Did this just come out of nowhere? I hadn't read anything about this being re-released.

I played the PS2 original a bit but never finished it, might be nice to give it another try. I'm more of a fan of the original Bard's Tale games but I should probably finish this someday just for completion's sake.

I don't think this includes the original trilogy like the PC release (it's not called out in the store page), but it would be an insta-buy if it did. I think those are getting a separate remaster alongside Bard's Tale 4, though (said remaster might be PC only though).

hughesta

Banned
woah, when the hell did this happen? used to see the original on blockbuster shelves all the time as a kid. is it good?

5olid_5nake

I feel like I have been wanting to play this game for at least 10 years now, but never got to bite the bullet...

I think the universe is trying to tell me something!

OldMuffin

And it ain't on Aussie psn.... between this, Icey and the long dark I feel like we are missing out on a lot, especially in the last month!

Doc_Drop

I really enjoyed it way back when on OG XB, I will also be awaiting European release. (Especially given I have it on OG but the disk tray doesn't work on that anymore)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The assets look strikingly similar to the iOS remaster/release from 2011, which was great.

This was a very enjoyable Action RPG with some clever writing, people unfamiliar with it should definitely give it a try.

B-Dex

I bought it cause it was cheap. It it is literally a 1080p up Rez. The UI isn't even HD just stretched and pixelated.

JP

What the hell, I had no idea this was out. There's a trailer for it on YouTube too.

The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled

From Eurogamer, this sounds like a full remaster.
Eurogamer said:
Sony via InXile has confirmed to us the European launch dates for The Bard's Tale: Remastered, which are 21st August on Vita and 22nd August on PS4.

"inXile Entertainment is proud to announce that a remastered version of its first title, the action RPG "The Bard's Tale", is now out on PS4 and PS Vita," the developer wrote on Facebook.

"Featuring doubled resolution for all textures, the game also runs at 4k 60fps. Sharing only a name with the original series, this "Bard's Tale" is instead a comedic send-up of the fantasy RPG genre starring Cary Elwes as the Bard and the late, great Tony Jay as the bemused Narrator of the tale. 13 years later, it endures as one of our most popular titles on PC and mobile. Today, we are pleased to return the game to the console realm."

EDIT:
It isn't listed under the PS2 on PS4 section of the PlayStation Store, that combined with the new name does make it is sound like a full remaster.

I'm going to have to buy this now, aren't I? :)

EDIT:
It isn't listed under the PS2 on PS4 section of the PlayStation Store, that combined with the new name does make it is sound like a full remaster.

I'm going to have to buy this now, aren't I? :)

PS2 ports aren't a thing that exist on Vita, only remasters/HD Collections etc. So I'm not sure where the confusion was coming from that it's just PS2 on PS4.

Jedi2016

So has anyone actually played this yet?

I watched a trailer on YT, and it looked like garbage... the UI and cutscenes were just stretched to fit the frame, and nothing else looked any different from the original game. And the PSN store page just has a bunch of promo and cutscene shots and no actual in-game screenshots. Which seems mildly worrisome.

Also, does anyone know if they're releasing the remaster for PC? Yeah, yeah, I know, the game's already on PC, but it's really damn old and leaves a lot to be desired compared to modern releases.

Lucifon

Damn, was hyped reading this was released but seeing how lazy of a port it looks to be I don't think I'll be grabbing this. I really enjoyed this game back in the day.

Someone needs to remaster Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 / 2 + the Champions of Norrath series whilst they're at it.

Osla

Neo Member
Bought the Vita version, but unfortunately it no longer seems to be cross-buy :( It unlocks the PS3 version, but not the PS4 version.

Tizoc

Damn, was hyped reading this was released but seeing how lazy of a port it looks to be I don't think I'll be grabbing this. I really enjoyed this game back in the day.

Someone needs to remaster Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 / 2 + the Champions of Norrath series whilst they're at it.
Performance was fine foremwhen i played it
It is a ps2 port but it seemed rather decently clean on the oled :x

Staf

Wow. Had no idea this was coming. I remember loving this game, and for that price there's no doubt i'll be buying it.

Qwark

So has anyone actually played this yet?

I watched a trailer on YT, and it looked like garbage... the UI and cutscenes were just stretched to fit the frame, and nothing else looked any different from the original game. And the PSN store page just has a bunch of promo and cutscene shots and no actual in-game screenshots. Which seems mildly worrisome.

Also, does anyone know if they're releasing the remaster for PC? Yeah, yeah, I know, the game's already on PC, but it's really damn old and leaves a lot to be desired compared to modern releases.

I've played a fair bit of the Vita version, the cutscenes are garbage quality, but the rest of the game looks decent. It's still a game from the early 2000's and the gameplay shows. Humor still holds up though.

Top Bottom