• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman (2021) has started filming

VulcanRaven

They started filming the movie in London last week and there are some set photos online:

Colin Farrell as The Penguin can be seen and that guy on the motorcycle might be Robert Pattinson. There are also many other pics:

They will also film in Glasgow:

I'm really excited about this because it has been a long time since the last solo Batman movie. I wasn't sure about Pattinson as Batman at first but I think he will be good. I hope we will see the new Batsuit soon.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I feel like they haven't really made a Batman movie since Dark Knight Rises because they haven't. What an absolute mess Ben Affleck was to the character.

I don't dislike Robert Pattinson but physically he looks fit to play Spider Man not the Bat. Have absolutely no faith/interest in this iteration with the exception of how the reviews land.

Saturnman

Banned
They started filming the movie in London last week and there are some set photos online:

Colin Farrell as The Penguin can be seen and that guy on the motorcycle might be Robert Pattinson. There are also many other pics:

They will also film in Glasgow:

I'm really excited about this because it has been a long time since the last solo Batman movie. I wasn't sure about Pattinson as Batman at first but I think he will be good. I hope we will see the new Batsuit soon.

Not a lot of time for Robert Pattison to bulk up.

GymWolf

giphy.gif

Just glad to see a movie being filmed in cold weather. Most big production movies won't do this anymore.

It's going to give it a good look.

John Day

lOkCE7C.jpg

Who knows, we all know movie magic can make him in the suit more fit.

I won’t dismiss. Ledger’s Joker was doubted and it passed the test, whi knows? First trailer might tell.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I like that we are getting a more agile looking Batman. Meathead Batman was not a good look.

I hope you're right, but knowing Hollywood we will still get a suit with exaggerated pecs and shit. I'm expecting more bulky Batman just like Dark Knight/BvS/Arkham games.

PSYGN

What is it with marketing or whoever is in control of titles having hard ons for (re)using the most generic titles?

sol_bad

Why the feck isn't penguin fat!!!!

Anyway, Matt Reeves is a great director. If you haven't seen Cloverfield, Let Me in or the recent Apes films, do yourself a favour and watch them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I look forward to new Batman films, the Nolan films felt very organic and may have been the best Batman films we've ever had.

Just looked it up, Jeffrey Wright is James Gordan
Guess that is slightly contradictory

l9DcADR.jpg
G7Ylgaj.jpg
This guy is a fantastic actor, I prefer him over j jonah, jjj should be jjj and that's it in any comic book movie

A black Gordon is quite the change (and so is a more slender Batman) but I think he will do great

I would have loved to see Ted Levine as Gordon

sol_bad

This guy is a fantastic actor, I prefer him over j jonah, jjj should be jjj and that's it in any comic book movie

A black Gordon is quite the change (and so is a more slender Batman) but I think he will do great

I would have loved to see Ted Levine as Gordon

oh yeah
Jeffrey Wright is damn great and I actually hope he has a bigger role than what Gordan's usually get now.
It just confirms that it's not a part of the DCEU films.

Really wish I knew now why Ben Afleck found it so hard to come up with a script for his Batman film. Was WB being much more controlling back then and forcing the DCEU on him? And now they have loosened up a bit? It's so weird.

oh yeah
Jeffrey Wright is damn great and I actually hope he has a bigger role than what Gordan's usually get now.
It just confirms that it's not a part of the DCEU films.

Really wish I knew now why Ben Afleck found it so hard to come up with a script for his Batman film. Was WB being much more controlling back then and forcing the DCEU on him? And now they have loosened up a bit? It's so weird.
Wright gets really involved in his roles so yeah it'd be great to see him, it would really push the seriousness of the plot

giphy.gif

Matt Reeves

I liked Snyder´s Batman but the studio fucked him so I say full reboot.

Edit: Gotham was overall good and is kinda set in the 90s. Watch it. Most Batman things are weirdly good. It´s only Forever, B&R and some of the toon films (Son of Batman) and games (Dark Tomorrow) that really went off the rails in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Lego Batman did it first and black Selina was done a lot too since the 60s. Even in Lego Batman.

Half-non-white Bruce would be 100% cool with me btw as long as he is born into old white money TM from one of his parents. I don´t thank that you could flip genders with too many of the Gotham characters though (Riddler or Two-Face may work for example) but almost none of them need to be hetero for the comic characterizations to work. Go crazy I say as long as it serves the story. The bonkers-broken DC canon tends to be very bendable.

JordanN

Banned
Granted they haven't had the Penguin in a film since Tim Burton's movie but yeah Batman is burning out imo.
They should have done Batman Beyond.

Batman officially retired in 2019 and the rest of the show takes place in 2040.

TNgwxkf.jpg

It would have had the perfect timing for a movie.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Bruce looks grumpy af.
He's in his 80s and lives alone in his mansion with only his dog as a companion. Alfred is also presumed to have passed away.
He also had a heart attack when he was 59 which forced him to retire.

In the show, he trains a new kid to take on his former crime fighting life and even acts as a mentor during his mission.

Really great show that changes up the Batman formula.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
probably gonna get a suit reveal this month or within the next month

Here's the suit: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a31045767/batman-set-photos-batcycle-catwoman/

the-batman-3-1582312546.jpg

the-batman-4-1582312590.jpg

the-batman-1-1582312440.jpg

My opinion? He looks like an idiot. His mask is stupid & the overall design looks more like one of the dorky fake Batman guys wearing Hockey pads in The Dark Knight than an actual cool looking batsuit:

maxresdefault.jpg

Robert Pattinson also doesn't have the physicality required for the role either (Batman isn't just about brooding ffs, it's a combat movie).

Here's the suit: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a31045767/batman-set-photos-batcycle-catwoman/

the-batman-3-1582312546.jpg

the-batman-4-1582312590.jpg

the-batman-1-1582312440.jpg

My opinion? He looks like an idiot. His mask is stupid & the overall design looks more like one of the dorky fake Batman guys wearing Hockey pads in The Dark Knight than an actual cool looking batsuit:

maxresdefault.jpg

Robert Pattinson also doesn't have the physicality required for the role either (Batman isn't just about brooding ffs, it's a combat movie).
We've been discussing it here:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Wait it’s the guy from the Twilight films? So yo go from Vampire to Batman.
Vampman

Robert Pattinson was in fifteen films between the last Twilight film and The Batman, but sure, "he went from Vampire to Batman," got it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom